• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Age SPOILERS Thread

Five

Banned
I was convinced the dead eye god was Shay. After the ending, it makes enough sense that I can't believe I didn't see it coming. Of course the big huge grabbing thing in each story are actually the same thing!

I love when stories are able to do that: make perfect sense in retrospect but also keep you guessing or even clueless along the way.

Now I wonder if Mom actually was a sacrifice girl, or if Mog was a creation of Steel Bunting. I had Marek pegged as "actually a bad guy" from the outset, but now I'm uncertain of which side of the proverbial morality scale he falls on. Oh, and is Shellmound Prima Doom because the dead eye god was there?

LiK

Marek seems to know way too much and I wonder who he is and why he's doing what he's doing.

Loving the game, but stuck in Vella's story. I'm in Shellmound and from looking around it seems I need a peach from back in Merriloft? I must have missed it, but could very easily continue the story. Am I screwed?

VandalD

Loving the game, but stuck in Vella's story. I'm in Shellmound and from looking around it seems I need a peach from back in Merriloft? I must have missed it, but could very easily continue the story. Am I screwed?
Not at all. You can just climb back up to Meriloft.

Zeliard

232790_2014-01-15_002ppk2b.png

232790_2014-01-15_001plu2h.png

232790_2014-01-15_002wgc1z.png

Effective cliffhanger to end this first part on, and nice touches with symmetry to bookend it (also neat that it was done wordlessly). With both characters now strangers in a strange land, it should be fun to see how they react to and affect their new environments and deal the situation they suddenly find themselves in.

I saw the ending coming but that didn't really lessen the enjoyment I got from watching it unfold nor my curiosity as to why it was happening at all. I switched back and forth between the two stories throughout the game and together they give you enough clues to piece things together.

The biggest clue for me was noticing that the representations of the survivors on Shay's computer monitor looked much like the maidens. My suspicions were all but confirmed when I noticed that the final "survivor" you snagged in particular - who Shay felt strongly had to be grabbed - even depicted Vella's distinctive headpiece.

Five

Banned
I saw the ending coming but that didn't really lessen the enjoyment I got from watching it unfold nor my curiosity as to why it was happening at all. I switched back and forth between the two stories throughout the game and together they give you enough clues to piece things together.

The biggest clue for me was noticing that the representations of the survivors on Shay's computer monitor looked much like the maidens. My suspicions were all but confirmed when I noticed that the final "survivor" you snagged in particular - who Shay felt strongly had to be grabbed - even depicted Vella's distinctive headpiece.

I started with Shay and played through his part in a single run, then moving to Vella's story, so I wasn't provided with as many clues about the intertwined nature of the stories. I'm curious about what points in the story you switched over. Most of the reason I didn't change back and forth was because I didn't ever feel like there was a good stopping point in Shay's tale.

BearPawB

Banned
I did not see the ending coming. But I felt like i should of.

The arm grabbing "puzzles" were lame. So I am glad that had such a huge story benefit.

I agree with the world repopulation theory. Shay's world is dying out. They need to repopulate, so they pick up women (the best women), and bring them back to the home planet.

Zeliard

I started with Shay and played through his part in a single run, then moving to Vella's story, so I wasn't provided with as many clues about the intertwined nature of the stories. I'm curious about what points in the story you switched over. Most of the reason I didn't change back and forth was because I didn't ever feel like there was a good stopping point in Shay's tale.

I didn't switch that many times, but when I did they were at comfortable spots. I basically switched characters when they got to a new area or a new situation of some sort.

I started with Vella then went over to Shay when she got to Meriloft. Then from Shay I switched back after Marek entered the picture. Then I finished up Meriloft with Vella, went back to Shay till his part ended, then back to Vella again to finish off the game. Shay's part of the story was notably shorter, at least in my experience.

Spookie

Oh boy, what an ending! It's all so obvious too! EGADS! I wonder if Tim had played (GOTY 2013 contender mini spoiler)
Bioshock Infinite.

VandalD

I didn't switch characters at all until I completed Shay's side. Then when switching, it was just him unconscious outside the ship without a helmet.

The arm grabbing "puzzles" were lame. So I am glad that had such a huge story benefit.

I agree with the world repopulation theory. Shay's world is dying out. They need to repopulate, so they pick up women (the best women), and bring them back to the home planet.
Too many questions for me to get on that theory. Why is Shay's world dying out? Can we trust that story at all? DEG mentions the same thing, but he was probably around the same age when he crashed into Shellmound for whatever reason. He may have heard the same story from his own ship's mom computer, so while he has no apparent reason to lie, that doesn't mean he knows the truth about things. What the hell could have happened that even 300 years later Shay is needed to go out and kidnap girls for repopulation when there is at least one ship going out every 13-14 years?

Edit: There's also the fact that Project Dandelion as mentioned by both mom and DEG has no mention of repopulation. That's not the objective of either of them. That's Marek's idea.

Five

Banned
I didn't switch that many times, but when I did they were at comfortable spots. I basically switched characters when they got to a new area or a new situation of some sort.

I started with Vella then went over to Shay when she got to Meriloft. Then from Shay I switched back after Marek entered the picture. Then I finished up Meriloft with Vella, went back to Shay till his part ended, then back to Vella again to finish off the game. Shay's part of the story was notably shorter, at least in my experience.

Cool, thanks. I think that's been the case with most people: Shay's story being shorter. For me, it was just over half as long as Vella's (1:30 vs 2:40). I didn't expect the game to be super long, but I was surprised to find out that Shay's half ended so soon, especially when Vella's was lasting longer.

LiK

I played straight thru Vella first then all the way thru Shay after. No switching. When I saw the arm game I was like "Holy shit, is this what I think is going to happen?" And it did. Kinda creepy.

Gazoinks

You're forgetting that they're not actually from space, though. At the end the stars fall off the inside of Mog, and he comes from underwater each time. Granted, he could still be repopulating a country or something, just not a planet.

VandalD

I played straight thru Vella first then all the way thru Shay after. No switching. When I saw the arm game I was like "Holy shit, is this what I think is going to happen?" And it did. Kinda creepy.
Grabbin' Gary's just trying to enjoy his work.

Gazoinks

I played switching back and forth throughout. Through sheer coincidence, I got up to the part in Vella's story where Project Dandelion was mentioned, and then I immediately switched and Mom mentioned it.

PaulloDEC

I played through Vella's story first, then Shay's. Didn't see the ending coming at all (I'm the world's easiest mark with that stuff, I absolutely never see twists coming), so I'm totally blown away now.

Still trying to tie some of the stuff together in my head now, i.e. the 14-year gaps between Mog Chothra's appearances, the Dead-Eye God's part in everything, etc. Can't wait for the second part!

jett

D-Member
That was a fantastic cliffhanger and twist. Didn't see it coming at all and yet it's so obvious. Really smartly done. I alternated between both characters although I did play more of Shay at first until I was done with him.

While I successfully didn't think about the game's story too much before release, as soon as I started playing I did immediately figure that Shay's ship was actually Mog Chathra. What threw me for a loop was encountering the guy (Alex? I know Vella mentioned a name but I don't remember actually learning it), at which point I went "oh, he's clearly Shay and there's some sort of timey-wimey going on with the cryo sleep and all," so they successfully made the ultimate reveal a kinda-surprise even though I had already guessed it. Well played.

While the ending was the perfect place for an act break narratively, I really hated how rushed and wordless it was. Hell, if it at least had audible gasping and grunting or something it would have felt more "finished." The sound design as a whole felt halfway done during the final few minutes of Vella's side and the final scene, it made what would have been a really meaty, punchy ending feel like an abrupt pause.

I played Shay's side first all the way to the end (which was noticably shorter) then got forced over to the Vella story.

Probably could have put 2 and 2 together, but, did not. I saw the guy, Dead Eye God, and thought, oh, that's older Shay. Strike 1.

Now the arm game makes sense, obviously. But, didn't put that together until I saw Shay climbing out of the wreckage. Then the audible "Ahhhhhh".

Thought it was well done. Puzzles weren't bad, just have to know to float the cursor everywhere. And ridiculous solutions sometimes are absolutely correct.

The only thing that isn't made clear is if the ship is normally grabbing maidens, or did it all start with Shay and Merek? Because isn't this a ritual that happens every 14 years or so?

I had a feeling something was up. I played all of Shay first, and when playing Vella I didn't realize the Mog would eat every maiden, so when it did but left Vella I thought "this is like that crane game." Also the maiden that wasn't picked in the cloud city was the first time you did it as Shay and had to leave one behind. But besides Vella, normally the Maidens go easily. So whats up with the shield part and why does Merek tell him you can't have them all because there is an enemy, who is the enemy that is attacking in the other cases?

Edit: Thinking about it, maybe this was Shay's ship's first time doing it, and previously it was another Mog. Maybe Dead Eye was supposed to do the same thing but something was wrong with his ship, which gave it a Dead Eye look and thats how it got it's name?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
MOGs show up in Vella's world every ~14 years. Shay is 14, and has been in his ship since birth or since a very very young age. Iiinteresting.

I played Vella until I reached the clouds, then switched to Shay until the forced switch. Does Vella force a switch when you reach the lumberjack if you start with her and do no manual switching? Seems like the only logical point for it.

I was too busy trying to figure out the shady wolf to realize the connection.

Edit: Of course after I read my own post and realize how dumb it is, Vella's forced switch is probably at the same point as Shay's: right before the reveal.

Zeliard

Here's what I meant by the final survivor on the computer monitor depicting characteristics of Vella's headgear:

vellasurvivor8ukh4.png

(took that shot from a youtube let's play, since it was one of the very few things I didn't take a picture of myself in the game)

232790_2014-01-15_001r3prc.png

That maiden with the squid-like appendages in her dress?

squidsurvivorx6knk.png

(another youtube cap)

There are also other cool touches, like how Mog Chotra's glowing yellow eye is the large sun-like computer Mom that you see in the cockpit.

Rubius

I do wonder why the fox want to capture the maidens. One of my suspicions are that there will be a time travel bit, where they have to complete the loop in some way, and she become the wolf and he become the guy in the vessel that she discover. Seem the most plausible thing.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I played through Shay then Vella without switching. I realized what was happening as soon as Mog Chotra started to do its thing and I connected the boom arms/creatures to the tentacles/maidens. Didn't take anything away from the ending though, skillful set-up and execution. I liked the Dead Eye swerve though, because of his story it did cross my mind he'd be old Shay and things weren't exactly what they seemed.

I won't list my favorites parts, dialogue and character moments here because there were just so many great bits. I'll definitely replay it when Act 2 comes out, probably sometime before that too.

What was up with the Eye of Sauron looking thing at the end of Shay's Act 1? Why would Project Dandelion design the ships to look like that? If he was never truly in space, what was the Spaceweaver doing while the ship was supposedly warping around?

LiK

What was up with the Eye of Sauron looking thing at the end of Shay's Act 1? Why would Project Dandelion design the ships to look like that? If he was never truly in space, what was the Spaceweaver doing while the ship was supposedly warping around?

The eye thing was epic. Maybe that's what Mom actually looks like.

CoolS

Just finished it. Really liekd it but it's bugging the HELL out of me that Vella suddenly knows that the DEGs name is Alex without him ever introducing himself.

inm8num2

Just finished it. Really liekd it but it's bugging the HELL out of me that Vella suddenly knows that the DEGs name is Alex without him ever introducing himself.

There were a couple instances in Vella's story in which it seemed like certain dialogue shouldn't have been triggered yet. Bugs, I guess.

Saw the ending coming from the moment Mog Chothra showed up on Vella's side of the story (I completed Shay's side first). Ending was still really good and leaves a lot of answers left for part 2 like

What is the true purpose of Project Dandelion?
Who is Merek and what is his true objective in all of this?
What was Shay's purpose before Merek intervened?
What happened to the Maidens that were "eaten" by Mog Chothra aka rescued by Shay?

I do feel like Shay story first then Vella's story is the ideal way to play the game based upon how each side ends. On it's own Shay's ending would almost seem like a decent cut off point for Act 2 with him crashing on a strange planet that we'll explore in part 2. I imagine if you finished Vella's story first you'd shoot down Mog Chothra and just jump to Shay which would make the twist more obvious.

Marek is dressed as a wolf to avoid being recognised, which makes no sense unless his appearance was something that needed to be hidden. Clones is kind of obvious but makes the most sense.

My thought is that Alex's story is correct. The planet he is from is sending out ships to find a new home. However, clearly something has gone horribly wrong. My thought is that there is a community of Alex's living where the Mogs come from which has come from where Alex is from. They intercept the colony ships, put Marek-alikes on board and send them to Vella's side to capture women to keep their colony going.

This is a sloppy theory because it has a lot of holes in it though.

mclem

Now I wonder if Mom actually was a sacrifice girl, or if Mog was a creation of Steel Bunting. I had Marek pegged as "actually a bad guy" from the outset, but now I'm uncertain of which side of the proverbial morality scale he falls on.

My suspicion is that he's just the next level of 'training' for Shay; after the initial setup for his childhood, when he matures enough to want to break out of it he's led into the next phase, which is *presented* as subterfuge even though it's really what the ship's up to all along.

Thinking about the attention to detail with the Maiden feasts:

* First maiden feast, Meriloft. One maiden is left behind.
* First grabber mission for Shay. One refugee is left behind

* Second maiden feast, Sugar Bunting. Five maidens. Vella is the last one remaining, but escapes; a tentacle grabs onto her but she shakes it free.
* Second grabber mission for Shay. Five refugees. The last refugee is caught briefly, but as it's being brought in it gets freed from the grabber.

* Third maiden feast, Shellmound. Three maidens. Vella is the last one remaining again, and flees while attacking the ship, finally getting caught but using that moment to attack.
* Third grabber mission for Shay. Three refugees (I think? Do I remember right?). The last refugee is moving very rapidly along the bottom of the screen, but finally gets caught... at which point the ship is attacked.

Edit: Oh, I'd missed that the icons for them were also appropriate for what they were.

megalowho

It's a little strange that you have to keep warping to different star clusters in order to take on each mission, when as Vella all of the maiden's feast locations are in pretty close proximity to each other. Wonder just how much of Shay's ship design is smoke and mirrors.

Mazre

Really enjoyed this a lot. Favorite bits were probably the talking spoon's monologue if you don't pick him up, and the talking tree was amusing as well.

Sentenza

I had Marek pegged as "actually a bad guy" from the outset, but now I'm uncertain of which side of the proverbial morality scale he falls on. Oh, and is Shellmound Prima Doom because the dead eye god was there?
I was fairly sure Marek was just a disguised "Mom" trying to fool Shay with some new simulation to give him the thrill of excitement, because the old simulations weren't enough for a teenager anymore, but I admittedly didn't made the mental connection to the maidens kidnapping until I noticed how the last one looked similar to Vella.
In retrospective I realized I should have.

I still have no idea of the details about Marek's intentions, by the way.

V_Ben

Banned
Mannn, Mog being the ship was just so perfect. It genuinely surprised me, I hadn't put two and two together and realised that the reason the wolf didn't want Shay to look in the room where the captives are is because they're totally people. Awesome.

Really excited for part 2 now, can't wait for this to all unravel when Marek's intentions get revealed.

Top Bottom