• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who tried the dualshock 4 on their PC ? I want feedback.

I was thinking of going out and buying a dualshock 4 to play PC games (I do not own a PS4 yet). I know it's possible with some third-party software, and I was some feedback. I used MotionInJoy to play PC games on my PC before, but the damn thing is a travesty. Sometimes my settings would reset, the interface is awful and, on top of that, the thing is riddled with ads and other bullshit.

So how is the experience of using a dualshock 4 on the PC ? Is it painless ? And how does it feel using the controller on the PC ? I want some feedback before shelling out 70$ for it.

owlbeak

For games that support DirectInput, it works like a dream. Games that only support XInput requires you to use some sort of XInput wrapper, which is usually a pain, but once it works, it works.

Zomba13

I use it to play FFXIV and as my main PC controller.

Using the xinput wrapper it works as a 360 pad. Easy to pair over bluetooth or just plug a USB cable in. Works fine on everything and can even turn the touchpad on and off and control the pointer.

when it works it works fine, but its still beta stuff so ymmv for xinput.

more and more games are starting to support direct input natively though which is pretty good.

antitrop

I could not possibly be happier with it.

I just beat Metal Gear Rising with it last week and it was fucking flawless. The ability to turn off the stupid light bar is invaluable.

jackmurray

Neo Member
Using a DS4 on PC is terrific. The program that most people use is DS4 to XInput Mapper and it's a great program, much better than MotionInJoy. No ads, no bullshit, and it lets you change the colour of the light on the back of the controller. It's easy to set up and has no input lag. So yeah, I'd buy a DS4 for PC play without hesitation.

Out of the box, it's a very good DirectInput controller. However, there is a Xinput wrapper (which I think is this one) that basically enables support for all modern games plus enables rumble and the use of the touchpad for mouse control. It's pretty neat.

Chavelo

I seriously don't see it as an upgrade over the Xbox 360 pad to play PC games, but if you don't have one, it works great. For emulators and other PC games that don't have 360 pad support, I think it works better.

The D-Pad is great on it, but the sticks might take some time getting used to. Thumbs kept on slipping when I played ACIV with the DS4.

DieH@rd

Banned
DS4 + DS4Tool for xinput = perfection

You can even fully control LED [change collors, intensity or turn it off] and transform touchpad into laptop trackpad whenever you want [in/out of the game].

SJRB

Gold Member
Is there a list of games I can play with the Dualshock 4 or does it just work with every game with controller support when I use the client?

evilalien

Does anybody know if you can use the DS4 to XInput wrapper alongside the SCP DS3 wrapper (Basically the DualShock 3 version that the DS4 one is based on) at the same time? I'd like to use both a DS3 and DS4 on my PC at the same time.

robotrock

Banned
Works well for boot camp'ed iMac, except for Bluetooth, which is flaky.

Yep, the bluetooth support is pretty awful. It works half the time, but then the buttons on the controller stop working or something. It's weird.

Is this what you guys are using: http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/459529-how-use-dualshock-4-pc/ ?

And are you telling me that there are some games that don't require this software ?

Samurai Gunn does not, but that's all I know. It looks like Octodad won't either

Is this what you guys are using: http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/459529-how-use-dualshock-4-pc/ ?

And are you telling me that there are some games that don't require this software ?

Out of the box, without installing anything else, it's a DirectInput controller. A very good DirectInput controller, mind you, but the problem is that nobody is using DirectInput any more. Every game worth its salt these days uses Xinput, which, as its name implies, is intended for the 360 controller (and its derivatives). However, that thing you linked is indeed the preferred Xinput wrapper, and it also comes with a bunch of extra stuff that isn't possible without it (even on a PS4, such as control of the light bar and the ability to turn said lightbar off). So, yeah. If it doesn't work out of the box, it should work with said wrapper.

Chavelo

A few games only use XInput-enabled controllers (less headaches setting the control up), but most games out there accept both XInput and DirectInput controllers. Out of the box, the DS4 has DirectInput but with a third-party software (I think it's called DS4 to XInput Wrapper) you can also make the DS4 have XInput support.

EDIT: welp beaten :p

I've been using it these past couple of days with no extra software installed. I'm no avid PC gamer so I can't really stand Mouse and Keyboard but there's some really neat games on PC that wanted to play.

In my experience it's been hit or miss. Plugged it in to play Hotline Miami and it works well until about 10 minutes and the screen just turns off till I move my mouse again :/ I don't any Power Saver feature enabled for when the computer is idle so IDK what it could be.

Other than that it didn't work at all for me while playing Stanley Parable.

Also, I seem to have read that the DS4 does not use the same charging cable as the DS3's ? What is it, exactly ? Will my USB cables that came with my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus work on the DS4 ? And if yes, can I use it to play games by plugging it in my PC's USB 3.0 port or do I have to use the bluetooth hack ?

Also, I seem to have read that the DS4 does not use the same charging cable as the DS3's ? What is it, exactly ? Will my USB cables that came with my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus work on the DS4 ? And if yes, can I use it to play games by plugging it in my PC's USB 3.0 port or do I have to use the bluetooth hack ?

DS3 was MiniUSB, DS4 is MicroUSB (aka what most phones and tablets use now).

Using the xinput wrapper it works as a 360 pad. Easy to pair over bluetooth or just plug a USB cable in. Works fine on everything and can even turn the touchpad on and off and control the pointer.

Being able to use the trackpad sounds really cool. I guess that alone would make the DS4 the default controller for PC's.

Neiteio

I just beat Metal Gear Rising with it last week and it was fucking flawless. The ability to turn off the stupid light bar is invaluable.
Whoa, this changes everything. You can turn off the lightbar when you use it on a PC?

The DS4 doesn't require a dedicated Bluetooth adapter like the old DS3 xinput wrapper did if you want to use it wirelessly, right?

In Windows 7 I was able to have 2 Bluetooth dongles connected simultaneously. I used one for a Bluetooth keyboard and I used the other for my DS3 because the Bluetooth driver you needed to use completely took over the adapter and didn't allow you to connect any other devices to it. In Windows 8.1 I cannot have 2 Bluetooth adapters connected at once and I need to be able to connect my wireless keyboard. It's my understanding that the DS4 doesn't require a special bluetooth driver. It just connects like any other Bluetooth device and the xinput wrapper works on top of that.

robotrock

Banned
Yep. You can customize the color of the light too.

mmmhmm, those sliders
blHToXC.png

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

I"ve kept my light blood red for entirety of my playthrough.

Baleoce

I bought one for PC gaming, input lag while using steam was unbearable, sold it again.

Seen as we know the DS4 itself doesn't suffer from severe input lag, it was probably either the driver you used, a faulty installation, or even something up with your bluetooth adapter. The controller itself was probably fine.

GoaThief

This gives me a reason to finally get a bluetooth adapter for my main PC.

Any GAF recommendations? Card is fine, or should I go usb? Is it worth doing for the DS4 in particular as directly wired connection is a no go?

HoosTrax

The neurotic, OCD part of me won't let me use a controller with those types of face button labels on my PC. Just feels wrong, like putting a set of Ford hubcaps on your Civic.

(As for why the "X" home button on the 360 doesn't bother me - the 360 has a thriving aftermarket, with custom parts available including blank home buttons.)

I think there are companies that specialize in controller mods, so I might have to seek one of them out. Ideally, I'd get a DS4 without those triangle, circle, square things, and just blank red/blue/green/yellow buttons.

This gives me a reason to finally get a bluetooth adapter for my main PC.

Any GAF recommendations? Card is fine, or should I go usb? Is it worth doing for the DS4 in particular as directly wired connection is a no go?

I second this fellows question. I'd like a recommendation for a Bluetooth adapter I can use for both the DS4 and Wiimotes if possible.

Jockel

It might be helpful if you elaborated on this. I don't think I've heard anyone else say this.

I believe the problem was with faulty drivers or SCPserver not working correctly. Probably some issues with converting to xinput. Didn't want to fiddle around with it any more.

Man

I was using it with my Oculus Rift just now. No drivers needed, i just needed a stick and a couple of buttons (RedFrame demo, great!).

nick380

Neo Member
I used motionjoy for my ds3 I'm pretty sure the ds4 would work just as well seeing as how it's still bluetooth.

Chairhome

I had to change the .ini file for FFXIV when I tried it. It worked okay, but no force feedback, and I don't think the touchpad worked. will the xinput wrapper make it act as 360 (meaning it will show 360 pad prompts instead of PS3/4?). Also, does force feedback work?

Its really great. The touchpad works extremely well in mouse driven menus. I like that I can change my lighbar color too. Best PC controller I've ever used.

Works perfect with that xinput wrapper. Even wireless.

I played all Of assassins creed brotherhood with it recently.

You have to disable the touchpad for some games because if you accidentally touch it it reads as mouse input and will disable controller input. Games that switch intelligently work better.

- J - D -

The Xinput wrapper for DS4 worked perfectly, and I put 60 hours into Dark Souls on pc with the DS4 and it's now my preferred pc pad. The only way it'd be better is if games had Playstation button prompts as well as ones for the 360/One pad.

EvaUnit02

Neo Member

As others have said, the DS4 will appear to windows as a standard HID controller using DirectInput (though the reported inputs are a bit wonky but it's not a big deal). DS4Tool will emulate XInput for the DS4 allowing the controller to be used in games that require it.

I just set this up last night in fact and it works perfectly for me. I tried it both via Bluetooth and via USB. The only downsides as of right now:

-DS4Tool emulates a mouse with the track pad. This needs to be toggled on and off. When toggled on, you will lose the L1 and R1 buttons as they get mapped to being left-click and right-click respectively.

-The track pad button doesn't work

-The speaker doesn't work

-Either the LED doesn't do anything expect light up or it becomes a battery status indicator (I can't remember which is true)

Top Bottom