• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who tried the dualshock 4 on their PC ? I want feedback.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DS4 tool beats the crap out of DS3 tool. And it syncs up superbly easy in Windows 8.1. Got it working wired and wireless.

I used that mod that is on PC. I think it is called x360ce or something like that. It works great, but I only use it for arcade racers. The DS3 is better for fighters than the DS4.

The neurotic, OCD part of me won't let me use a controller with those types of face button labels on my PC. Just feels wrong, like putting a set of Ford hubcaps on your Civic.

(As for why the "X" home button on the 360 doesn't bother me - the 360 has a thriving aftermarket, with custom parts available including blank home buttons.)

I think there are companies that specialize in controller mods, so I might have to seek one of them out. Ideally, I'd get a DS4 without those triangle, circle, square things, and just blank red/blue/green/yellow buttons.

Can't you just get Xbox insignia via the thriving 360 aftermarket and stick them on your PS4 buttons?

It works great but I wish I could delete my DS4 controller config for Steam Big Picture. That thing doesn't work for 90% of XInput games so I need to close Steam, run DS4Tool, then re-open Steam for it to work properly. I use the Touchpad when I'm watching Netflix from my laptop in bed. It's pretty convenient, but when you want to get pixel-precision it's a bit of a bitch.

Anyone point me to the most simple solution to playing the Steam version of Mark of the Ninja with the DS4? I don't really know much about pc gaming lately, but I want to get into this game.

Arkage

Banned
Quick question, am I able to use the DS4 that's already tied to my PS4? Or do I have to buy another DS4 just for PC stuff?

Works perfect in every game EXCEPT Mass Effect 1 for PC.

Anybody know what's the issue?? That game doesn't support gamepads unless you download a modified .ini file that enables 360 controller support. Now with a 360 controller this method gives you a working controller for 80% of the game(the rest for selecting weapons and abilities).

With my PS4 controller when I try Mass Effect the right stick BARELY moves when I'm zoomed in with any weapon. Plus rumble doesn't work. I don't get what's the problem.

Just bought one today specifically for PC.

My wife is on break between semesters so I installed Alice Returns on her iMac and gave/loaned her my 360 joystick to play. I loaded up MotionInJoy to use my DS3 but after some windows updates, it stopped working and my DS3 and bluetooth adapter wouldn't even register as being connected, with or without the drivers loaded. Had to manually remove MotionInJoy in order to get both to actually show up as the proper devices again which was a pain.

Decided to get a DS4 just today instead of mutz around with MotionInJoy again. I figure Sony will probably never release proper Xinput drivers for it on PC but I'll eventually be getting a PS4 at some point so I can replace it with a proper PC joystick and I'll have a second DS4 for the PS4.

In any case, I was kind of shocked when I plugged in the DS4 and it actually registered as a functional joystick (DirectXInput) out of the box. The DS3 in comparison did not, which necessitated hacked up drivers like MotionInJoy to use. I've used Xinput wrappers in the past with my OG Xbox controller so it's nothing new.

Is there any reason not to replace my 360 controller with this?

If you're already using a 360 controller and happy with it, I wouldn't replace it. Not unless you really want a PS controller and layout vs. the 360 one and don't mind messing with wrappers.

I finally went ahead and bought a DS4 and within maybe 2 minutes I connected the controller via bluetooth, installed the driver and launched the app and had it working immediately. Very happy with it so far.

Alright, I bought the controller yesterday and installed the program. I played both Hammerwatch and Volgarr with it.

MAN. Hooooly shiiiiiiiit. This controller is The. Best.

McSpidey

I love using the DS4 on PC but hate to use wrappers etc so can only play the few games that either have built in re-mapping or native support for it, like AAC.

I've been using it to play Skyrim and Fallout with a basic xinput wrapper. I don't remember its name but it is absolutely basic. It still works fantastically, even better than the DualShock 3.

Edit: It is the basic DS4Tool as posted before in this thread. I haven't updated to the newest version so my lightbar remains off and I don't have touchpad functionality.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

I'll expand on how fantastic it is. When using my DS3 on Skyrim, navigating the worldmap was slow and looseness of the sticks added unnecessary challenges to the game. The superior sensitivity, lack of deadzones, and tightness of the sticks on the DS4 make navigating the worldmap almost as fast as using a mouse and makes the gameplay much more reactive to your input. Also the improved triggers help immensely. I was using trigger attachments when I used my DS3 to play on the PC.

This may be a stupid question but is holding the PS button for 10 seconds the only way to turn off the controller? Big Picture Mode activates after holding it for like 5 seconds so I turn on Big Picture Mode everytime I want to turn off the controller.

Used it to play Metal Gear Rising the other night. Worked perfectly (via an XInput wrapper at least). Most of the time I forgot that I wasn't using an Xbox 360 controller.

For games that support DirectInput, it works like a dream. Games that only support XInput requires you to use some sort of XInput wrapper, which is usually a pain, but once it works, it works.

Even if you do use the xinput wrapper it will still work fine with directinput only games. For example, I can have the wrapper running and play Star Wars: Battlefront 2 perfectly fine with the DS4 even though it is a directinput only game. You just have to map the buttons yourself first in the game's menu.

Using a DS4 on PC is terrific. The program that most people use is DS4 to XInput Mapper and it's a great program, much better than MotionInJoy. No ads, no bullshit, and it lets you change the colour of the light on the back of the controller. It's easy to set up and has no input lag. So yeah, I'd buy a DS4 for PC play without hesitation.

I see that that the Xinput Wrapper for DS3 has been updated to work with DS4. I used that a ton the past few months and love it. However, my one fault that I find is that there wasn't a way to quick turn it on and off when I want to play non-Xinput games (unless I missed something).

This one seems to be the popular choice for DS4, instead of the updated DS3 one Scarlet Crush made. Does it have the same issue?

Grumbul

I picked up an Asus (EDR+2.1)dongle for bluetooth connection and for some reason the DS4 connects fine initially and then seems to lose it's connection after about 10-20 seconds.

Anyone experienced this or have a workaround?

Does anyone have problems when the DS4 falls asleep and you have to wake it back up again? Like if I'm playing a game, I need to walk away for a little bit, and come back to it.. the game won't recognize the controller.

What's more, when I quit the game and load it back up again, it still won't recognize it. Even if I shut down Steam and relaunch the tool, it won't see the controller. I have to reboot the PC.

Alright, I bought the controller yesterday and installed the program. I played both Hammerwatch and Volgarr with it.

MAN. Hooooly shiiiiiiiit. This controller is The. Best.

It's an awesome controller. I used to use the 360 controller but now whenever possible I use the DS4. Sooo much better IMO

Jomjom

Banned
It works so well that I've stopped using my k&m on my computer for FFXIV because I don't want the wrist pain. Some of the nice features of the DS4 to Xinput Wrapper:

1) Touchpad is fully useable as a trackpad (mouse pointer) and click for mouse left and right click.

2) You can change the light bar to whatever color you want (sliders from 1-255 for RGB, and any mix of the three sliders), or turn it completely off.

3) You can set the color to indicate battery life. For example if you set Blue as 100% and Red as 0%, it'll start from Blue and slowly gradually go from different shades of blue, to diff shades of purple, to eventually red as your battery drains.

4) You can boost your rumble. Default is 100% and you can make rumbles weaker or super strong using a slider

5) Also my laptop has a built in Wireless N/Bluetooth receiver and the bluetooth works perfectly.

I did a few times, but every time it screwed up my audio and I had to reinstall my drivers. So I just stopped bothering. But if it hadn't screwed things up I'd stick with it cause it's my favorite controller.

tensuke

It works so well that I've stopped using my k&m on my computer for FFXIV because I don't want the wrist pain. Some of the nice features of the DS4 to Xinput Wrapper:

1) Touchpad is fully useable as a trackpad (mouse pointer) and click for mouse left and right click.

2) You can change the light bar to whatever color you want (sliders from 1-255 for RGB, and any mix of the three sliders), or turn it completely off.

3) You can set the color to indicate battery life. For example if you set Blue as 100% and Red as 0%, it'll start from Blue and slowly gradually go from different shades of blue, to diff shades of purple, to eventually red as your battery drains.

4) You can boost your rumble. Default is 100% and you can make rumbles weaker or super strong using a slider

You can middle click with the touchpad, too, it's kind of finicky in my experience though, I may need to adjust a setting or something. It works great as a mouse though and I often use it to control my PC when I've got it set up. Just wish I could set the PS button to shift+tab for Steam, would be golden. Could be something like j2k would allow it, haven't tried it yet.

But yeah, DS4 is pretty much the perfect PC controller thanks to the Touchpad.

Jomjom

Banned
You can middle click with the touchpad, too, it's kind of finicky in my experience though, I may need to adjust a setting or something. It works great as a mouse though and I often use it to control my PC when I've got it set up. Just wish I could set the PS button to shift+tab for Steam, would be golden. Could be something like j2k would allow it, haven't tried it yet.

But yeah, DS4 is pretty much the perfect PC controller thanks to the Touchpad.

Yeah middle click is finicky for me too. I just ended up turning it off because I don't really use it. But right and left click work 100%.

Also in case anyone's wondering if there's any lag via BT, I've beaten all the extreme primals in FFXIV with it and those fights, especially Titan requires a lot of movement and quick reactions.

So nobody else has trouble when the controller goes asleep? Okay then, I'll investigate further on my end. I really hope they can overcome the issue with starting the controller with Steam running.

I was bitching to myself that the wrapper app doesn't have a "start with windows automatically" option until I realized: the startup folder! Completely forgot that thing existed.

TalonJH

It works pretty great. My only complaint is (of course) games still show Xbox controller button prompts but it's easy to adjust to.

todd360

I have been using it on pc to play titanfall. It works so good. The only bad thing is I have to turn the program on before I plug the controller in each time but that is no big deal. A ds4 should be owned by every self respecting gamer.

Bigbillybeef

Neo Member
I use it to play everything. It's not exactly plug and play but the wrapper is easy enough to use. Sometimes things get messed up (with exclusive mode) and you need to fix it, but it's worth it because the controller is awesome. Plus the track pad is handy for playing on the TV as many games (I'm looking at you Ubisoft) use launchers and such that need to be clicked before you can play them.

Short Version - Wrapper works perfectly.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
when i tried it i got massive fps drops in games, is it because i also have a wireless 360 pad connected to my pc?

GoaThief

Tried wired but couldn't get the controller installed properly on W7.

Gave up and gone back to wireless 360.

Shame, might try a bluetooth adapter with the DS4 at some point but everyone seems tight lipped on recommendations. That said, if the DS4 won't install correctly when wired, it probably isn't going to with bluetooth either.

Manac0r

Just my personal experience but had horrible luck with DS4tool.

The driver stopped my Windows 7 machine from starting, would install, then after a reboot would freeze after login. Took me hours to find out what the culprit was. 100% something to do with the SCSI(? or similar) driver that DS4tool uses.

On my Windows 8.1 machine, the controller cannot keep a connection, might be my blutooth to blame here.

Went back to wrieless 360 pad for my laptop, and wired for my desktop.

Did anyone test a XBone Gamepad on PC yet?

I'm about to get a new one as mine's broken, but I'd prefer a Xbone Gamepad as the Triggers are way smoother than on the 360 one.

But if it's as complicated to use it on PC as the DS4, I'll stick to the 360

I have a Bluetooth 4.0 el-cheapo micro adapter, DS4 pairs instantly, never loses connection and as soon as I tap PS button the pad is on and synced in seconds.

I've never had any problems using DS4Tool and the pad has worked great in every game I've tried.

Bittercup

Can you make Fraps screenshots with Share button :) ?
Yes. In the custom control mapping options you can change what each button does. Then you can change for example the share button to act like the F12 key and use F12 in fraps for screenshots.
But this replaces the back button from the 360 pad so you have to map 'back' to another button (e.g. the PS button since it has rarely any use on PC or use PS as a fraps key to begin with)

Calabi

I just bought a DS4 for playing Warframe on the PC. I can see the appeal, it took a while to set up, the instructions arent exactly clear I picked the wrong ones, could'nt get them to work but whatever.

The analogs are way better than the 360s, there more accurate and smoother. Its just a whole round great controller. I hope the sort out this driver nonsense get proper ones or games start supporting it properly.

Top Bottom