• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(ONM) Senran Kagura Burst is damaging the industry - here's how to stop it

studyguy

Curious as to how GAF felt regarding the 'issue' brought up by the blog. He draws parallels to DOA and Code of Princess doing a disservice to the estimated 45% of female gamers in the market. Something to note is all the games discussed fall under the umbrella of Japanese developers.

Senran Kagura is one of the worst types of game around. It's insulting to the intelligence of gamers, damaging to the reputation of the industry, and alienating and harmful to women (both inside and outside the gaming community and industry). So, do yourself, and the wider community a favour: don't read articles about its release. Try not to Youtube it. Avoid reviews. And certainly don't buy it.

Personally as much as I disagree with some of the choices made by developers in regards to certain design choices, be it artistic or narratively... I can't ever see myself going out of my way to tell then no, don't do that! How about you GAF? Reminds me of that Lords of Shadow 2 thread we had a while back where another journalist contended that a bloodsucking scene alluded to rape. Author hoped the devs would toss the scene out later...

tumblr_mzhzj7DDEk1qzp9weo1_1280.jpg

Burst if old.

SmokyDave

I find it patronising that women are assumed to get hung up over idealised body images to a degree that nobody ever expects from men. It's as if there's some unspoken assumption that women are inherently insecure and suggestible.

Silky

Banned
Kind of odd that this of all things was published on the Official Nintendo Magazine website.

Those figures are impressive, and a huge turnaround from what the gaming population looked like even ten years ago. However, just because there's more women playing games now, does that mean that these games are ok? Absolutely not. For starters, it's alienating to women who play games: I find it extremely unlikely that any female gamer is going to be drawn in by the proliferation of breasts throughout the game and it's accompanying art. In fact, this kind of game sends out the message that gaming is only for males, and thus is alienating to women gamers.

You don't need to have hugely strong views on this to realise it's wrong - most people wouldn't call themselves feminists (although, if you believe this sort of thing is wrong and you think women should be treated equally to men - congratulations, you're a feminist, welcome to the club!) but can still acknowledge that this form of entertainment is foul.

Wow, seriously?

A single game does not damage the industry. Even multiple titles like this don't.

There should be talk about the opposite. Why are there not more "women-friendly" games, are there even too few, and how can we get more.

This doesn't have to be an either-or scenario. Let people enjoy their waifus.

this guy takes the game way too seriously. the character's bodies and clothing damage are just part of the over-the-top fun. there's nothing remotely "degrading" about it. people sometimes ugh.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
I find it patronising that women are assumed to get hung up over idealised body images to a degree that nobody ever expects from men. It's as if there's some unspoken assumption that women are inherently insecure and suggestible.

It's also patronizing to assume that it's only women's sensitivity that's at issue with games like this

cafemomo

Has he played Code of Princess? (Although I don't blame him since it's crap) but the game pokes fun at itself and other Japanese cliche (heck, the dialog is the only redeeming part of the game)

As for Senran it's also meant to be over the top that knows it shouldn't be taken seriously at all.

L~A

Reminder : it's just one of their bloggers, not the official staff.

The whole thing reeks of immaturity : "OMG, I don't like this game, PLEASE DONT BUY IT, it's DAMAGING the industry please no mommy".

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Simple.

Slayven

Lets be honest, if people didn't write articles about it. The 35 people outside of japan would buy the game, enjoy and no one else would know or care.

Phawx

Almost 100% of the time, if a game is fun, I could care less what is depicted.

If a game is patronizing, it will be apparent.

On the flip side of the coin, if LoS2 was fun with the alluded scene removed, why would you care?

The game would still be fun.

I'm glad that Rooke was honest enough to skip the backhanded implications and just state flat out that the game should be buried. The feigned tolerance shtick that usually pops up in social critiques like this can get really grating after a while.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Regardless of one's stance on life and hometown, this made me cringe:

So, do yourself, and the wider community a favour: don't read articles about its release. Try not to Youtube it. Avoid reviews. And certainly don't buy it

this guy takes the game way too seriously. the character's bodies and clothing damage are just part of the over-the-top fun. there's nothing remotely "degrading" about it. people sometimes ugh.
Well... Idk if you can say there's no degradation going on. There definitely can be an argument made that there is. The game features a bunch of women with huge, bouncing boobs, skirts that are willing to lift up at the slightest inclination, and just overall a real "pervy" atmosphere.
I can definitely see how some females can look at the game and be absolutely disgusted.

studyguy

I'm glad that Rooke was honest enough to skip the backhanded implications and just state flat out that the game should be buried. The feigned tolerance shtick that usually pops up in social critiques like this can get really grating after a while.

Haha, you have to admire the fact that he took it on boldfaced as he did. The whole article's tagline was basically here he goes again...!

Village

The whole thing reeks of immaturity : "OMG, I don't like this game, PLEASE DONT BUY IT, it's DAMAGING the industry please no mommy".

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Simple

Please don't go this route, the broad excusing o f racism/sexism/ect route, and just defend the game in the OP please.

Also telling people why you don't like a thing a bit more effective than liking a thing.

But mostly the first thing.

Absolutely! "Vote with your wallet" should be emblazoned in gold leaf on some massive banner at each and every video game store out there. The amount of kneejerk reaction to each and every thing these days is becoming grating. I mean, I certainly do.

The free market buries what it is forced to.

Orayn

While I don't really agree with this article, why shouldn't people be allowed to make a case for their opinions and argue their point?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's pretty boring how commonplace the criticism of women's portrayal in games is. Especially when they pick such easy targets as Senran Kagura.

What about race, sexual orientation and even social class? There's so many problematic aspects of game writing. I think we got this women's representation area covered

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Lyte Edge said:
Regardless of one's stance on life and hometown, this made me cringe:

So, do yourself, and the wider community a favour: don't read articles about its release. Try not to Youtube it. Avoid reviews. And certainly don't buy it

Shouldn't he be taking his own advice and not even write an article about it?
He should take his own advice and not write articles on it, then.

Edit: Beaten hurrrrd.

LOL!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I find Senran Kagura to be pretty disgusting, but this is a really dumb fucking article make a whole ton of presumptions.

StayDead

. It's insulting to the intelligence of gamers, damaging to the reputation of the industry, and alienating and harmful to women (both inside and outside the gaming community and industry)

I think this is wrong on so many levels. Having a game with women who are good looking is not damaging to women because women don't have to play it. There's room for both games with busty women and games with more "normal" women. If anything saying that anything that's busty is insulting the intelligence of people is actually genuinly insulting to women who are well endowed because it acts as if they're insulting themselves by having large breasts.

I wish all these stupid click bait articles would stop and rather than blaming the games for sexism in the games industry, blame the horrible work practices worldwide that's causing the wider issue and stop trying to blame it on niche games with niche markets that have every right to exist.

Tiu Neo

It's a super niche game made by people from a totally different culture. The best thing to do if the game offends you, in this case, is ignore the game. Any article, positive or negative, is free publicity for the game.

Griss

Marketing entertainment based around sexual appeal isn't inherently wrong. In fact, I'd say it's pretty normal. Nothing wrong with nudity or sex appeal in games, movies, novels, whatever. There's nothing degrading about revelling in the physical appeal and beauty of the opposite sex, and to claim that there is seems prudish to me. Then again, I'm a typical yuro who's pro-nudity and uncomfortable with guns in games, so I don't expect too many on here to agree!

If these people want to make a game for young teenagers that focuses on boobs, what is the issue? Can't the rest of us just ignore it if we don't like it?

The reference to DoA is also a terrible one. The female characters in DoA are great, and far more interesting than the male ones. It's one of the few fighters that has more women than men, and almost every one is justified by their unique playstyle. On top of being a great fighting game, the game also tries to appeal to you with sex appeal. I just don't see any issue with that at all. At my age, it's not why I play the game. If I was 13, it certainly might be. Shouldn't be disallowed, imo.

Top Bottom