• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(ONM) Senran Kagura Burst is damaging the industry - here's how to stop it

The way I see it the issue isn't sexy female characters. It's more like the lack of sexy males. Female gamers can avoid the titles they're not interested in but there needs to be games directed at them. Incidentally Japanese games cater a lot of fanservice to female gamers aswell but it's not so visible in the West (except for Assassin's Creed series).
P_kiriya.jpg

SK2_Fami-shot_01-08-14_008-280x345.jpg

...I kinda want it more after this article.

If only for the novelty factor

...and "damaging the industry" is just silly hyperbole.

Someone should direct this guy to the latest Jimquisition episode.

Sounds like he needs a large dose of humility, as well as a new sense of humour. Presuming to know what's best for other people is the realm of clergymen and demagogues.
I'm pretty sure Jim Sterling isn't cool with this game. He crapped all over Dead or Alive 5 in one of his episodes.

Village

What needs to be talked about? This is a niche game by a foreign developer which in no way represents the medium as a whole.

Games like this in relations to cultures ect.

No game represents and entire medium, that is why we talk about multiple games. Even small ones, big ones, tall ones, short ones, story ones, all types of games.

Yeahhhhh....this article is really badly written. Like, disregard the actual content for a second and read it for readability and how he forms his argument. It's very, very bad. If I handed this in to my journalism class I'd get a pretty damn bad mark.

Also, I always find it interesting that people latch on to overly physically attractive or exaggerated women (this game, Dragon's Crown, etc) as more problematic than actual narrative mistreatment of women in games. Seems backward to me. Though the fact that the Senran Kagura girls are teenagers does make it legit kinda creepy. That's for a different reason though.

jgmo870

Banned
Senran Kagura is one of the worst types of game around. It's insulting to the intelligence of gamers, damaging to the reputation of the industry, and alienating and harmful to women (both inside and outside the gaming community and industry). So, do yourself, and the wider community a favour: don't read articles about its release. Try not to Youtube it. Avoid reviews. And certainly don't buy it.

So he's telling people not to inform themselves about the thing he's trying to make them boycott and listen to only him.

Hahahahaha, that's more damaging than any niche game will ever be.

The author really needs to do further studies on gender and representation before spewing out another poor quality article.
In no other cultural industry do journalists have the guts to even attempt an article as this.

The way I see it the issue isn't sexy female characters. It's more like the lack of sexy males. Female gamers can avoid the titles they're not interested in but there needs to be games directed at them. Incidentally Japanese games cater a lot of fanservice to female gamers aswell but it's not so visible in the West (except for Assassin's Creed series).

Wasn't there some VN released in America not so long ago that was about being a girl and being surrounded by Feudal samurais you can get in a relationship with? That was the first VN in a long time to get released on PSP in America, except for Corpse Party.

Jacobi

Banned
Well this is more a problem with Japanese culture than with games.
When I look for good portrayals of women in games, Sony's 1st party offerings (Beyond, Last of Us, Uncharted, Heavy Rain) especially come into my mind...

Gbraga

I've been called a lot of things by those blogs for the fact that I like anime boobs, but I guess since it's saying this series insults the gamer's intelligence, that may be the first time I'm called a moron for enjoying some life and hometown.

The reason why taking some examples and building your point around them is that you end up calling me, someone who claims for more pretty boys in gaming, an idiotic sexist pig. If you ask me if women should be better represented in gaming in general, sure, absolutely, but if I have to disagree with that and be considered human garbage because I want to buy Senran Kagura for my Vita, then so be it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Domstercool

There's plenty of other video games out there for people to play. It seems like games can't be like what films and books do and target an audience.

I'd be happy if suddenly all the crappy films like Twilight vanished, but I know female fans really enjoy those films. I aren't going to campaign against films like that and try tell people to not watch it if they are enjoying it. Even though I believe the acting to be atrocious (nice face emotions, Kristen Stewart) and creates a poor view on relationships.

LordJim

Wasn't there some VN released in America not so long ago that was about being a girl and being surrounded by Feudal samurais you can get in a relationship with? That was the first VN in a long time to get released on PSP in America, except for Corpse Party.

Hakuoki.
PSP got Sweet Fuse as one of the latest NA releases.

When I look for good portrayals of women in games, Sony's 1st party offerings (Beyond, Last of Us, Uncharted, Heavy Rain) especially come into my mind...

Those are fine. But why can't we have fun as well? There is plenty of room for both despite how ridiculously big some of these boobs get.

Why do people need to get offended for others by a pair of bouncing anime tits? It's a simple, harmless fantasy.

American comics feature impossibly beautiful women with huge busts too. American culture must be so fucked.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Official Nintendo Magazine UK just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about English culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in the UK, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the English public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the Official Nintendo Magazine, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but ONM has alienated an entire market with this move.

ONM, publicly apologize and delete this article or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Remember when a fun game could be released and everyone who wanted to could buy it and have fun without "journalists" saying that you're misogynistic and killing the industry? Videogames used to be such a simple hobby.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Or even...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Akiba's_Trip_2_Cover.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Well, to be fair, author mention when is the last time you strip male character.
THis is the correct game to refute him, since this game feature stripping both male and female equally :)

Taken from the Senran-Kagura.com, preliminary draft for boxart:

ipg2GEhZkYG2W.jpg

I prefer what we seem to have ended up with.

(Avatar fixed up, big thanks to Shiraitsuki!)

oni_saru

Well... Idk if you can say there's no degradation going on. There definitely can be an argument made that there is. The game features a bunch of women with huge, bouncing boobs, skirts that are willing to lift up at the slightest inclination, and just overall a real "pervy" atmosphere.
I can definitely see how some females can look at the game and be absolutely disgusted.

I look at the game and I'm mad. Mad because I question where the hell is my game sexualizing dudes damn it!! Shit ain't right. I'm about that hometown. Only I want dicks and chiseled abs~

Serious response I agree with Yian:

A single game does not damage the industry. Even multiple titles like this don't.

There should be talk about the opposite. Why are there not more "women-friendly" games, are there even too few, and how can we get more.

This doesn't have to be an either-or scenario. Let people enjoy their waifus.

When it comes to critcising these pervy games for mostly male audiences (some girls love this stuff too), why don't we talk about the lack of these types of games here for mostly women audiences (and some dudes). It's gotten better with the release of more VNs like Hakuoki and Sweet Fuse which can be I guess our not so pervy but closest to pervy game we can get.

But why don't we talk about the lack of games that are over the top like Senran series but for women. Or the lack of licensing the few games that are out there for mostly women audiences like Duel/Love.

I get where the author is coming from but for a game like this, that the whole point is to be over the top pervy fun, I don't think it's apt to say we should ignore this title because it alienates women. What alienates women are the "serious" titles that pull bs stunts (there was a shooter that had women show lots of skin but men completely covered. Now that's some bs sexualization crap)

Well, to be fair, author mention when is the last time you strip male character.
THis is the correct game to refute him, since this game feature stripping both male and female equally :)

Yep and as previously posted the new SK games feature male characters (finally!).

I'm all for more gender equality on both ends. Give us more realistically portrayed women in some games, and give us more sexy dudes getting their clothes ripped off in others. :3

Voliko

Maybe people should be complaining about the shallow gameplay instead. Sure, the fanservice is ridiculous and the whole point of the game, but it's harmless. Barely anyone would even notice this game if not for articles like this.

Village

Those are fine. But why can't we have fun as well? There is plenty of room for both despite how ridiculously big some of these boobs get.
Why do people need to get offended for others by a pair of bouncing anime tits? It's a simple, harmless fantasy.

American comics feature impossibly beautiful women with huge busts too. American culture must be so fucked

One thing does not excuse another, the problem isn't sexy. The problem is everything is sexy and only sexy and nothing else.

Why do people think people are trying to take sexy away from people. No one is taking the boobs away.

Also its a thing people in comics are trying to get away from, espically marvel apparently

One specific instance is Ms marvel , who went from extradimentional rape victim, to super hero who wears a one peice bikini all the time

To captain marvel

apparently trying to better yourself is a thing mediums can do .

Tenumi

Banned
I have the answer! We make all characters in all games as ugly and unappealing as possible.

I'm inclined to agree with you solely based on that avatar.

Seriously though, I don't think anyone that sees Senran Kagura Burst is expecting a serious, realistic social commentary of a story. It's just a fun, ridiculous game.

Like these sorts of things hurt the movie industry too I suppose? No, not wanting to allow this, whining and moaning like some ready for the grave senior from the 60's because cartoon boobs, THAT's what's hurting this industry. And now watch this garmez jurnalizt play another round of CoD, because that gives gaming a better image than those evil anime titties.

bVork

Senran Kagura is probably the worst game you could pick to plant your anti-sexism flag on. Yes, there is oodles of fanservice. But the game goes out of its way to portay its characters as strong individuals with their own personalities and goals. It's not Shakespeare, but it's far more thorough characterization than you see in most action games. I sort of view this through a distorted categorical imperative: that fanservice is not inherently bad, but that to treat a character mere fanservice is when there is a problem.

I'd go so far as to declare that something like Yakuza is more casually sexist than Senran Kagura. Look at the way host and hostess clubs work differently in the game. When you're the host, your sole job is to keep the customer happy and spending money. When you're in a hostess club, all of the women are immediately interested in you and want to get to know you as a person. Not to mention the running trend of any woman you fight turning out to be a cross-dresser. It's never outright said, but I find the implications of such double standards to be far worse than any of Senran Kagura's in-your-face fanservice.

The author really needs to stop looking at the surface of games and examine how women as characters are portrayed, rather than what they look like. Sexism is a problem, but it's rarely immediately apparent through screenshots. It's when a game implies that there is an inherent superiority to one gender that it arises.

Jawmuncher

Evey time I see one of these type of articles, it just makes me want to buy the game more.
It was the same case with Dragons Crown. Was waiting for a price reduction but all the "offended people" made me grab it day 1.

Hubb

I'm not arguing that's it's damaging or that it should be boycotted. But I do think that there are a lot of people downplaying the extremely sexual nature of the game and the fact that it could be seen at just perpetuating a good bit of negative stereotypes.

Not to downplay the extreme sexual nature, after all I may just be a monster, the game didn't feel extremely sexual. Maybe I've seen too much, maybe I was expecting too much, but I was surprised just how tame the game was, and yes I have beaten the game.

Yes there is fan service, yes they use that as the selling point, but there was no where near as much as there could have been.

One thing does not excuse another, the problem isn't sexy. The problem is everything is sexy and only sexy and nothing else.

Senran Kagura isn't sexy and nothing else though. It does a decent job at developing the characters into believe-able beings within their world. Not prefect, but decent.

Forkball

There are plenty of Japanese games that have positive and memorable portrayals of women. Japanese games were often at the forefront of puting female characters in prominent or even starring roles. Everyone remembers Terra 20 years later, I doubt it will be the same for whatever the girl's name in Uncharted is.

As a man I don't think it's a horrible crime against my gender when media exists with overly sexualized men, so I can't really agree that it's a horrible crime when media exists with overly sexualized women. Some people like it, some people don't, not everything has to be for everybody.

I would agree with the argument that the game industry as a whole caters too much to males and too little to females, but you can't solve that problem by demonizing every game that has excessive male appeal. All that does is antagonize the people who do like that kind of stuff. If you want more games to appeal to women, you should encourage it by giving your praise, money, and attention to the games that already do, or better yet, make some yourself.

Beyond that, the idea that a weeaboo game that didn't even get a physical release in the US is going to have any significant effect on the industry is laughable.

I'm one of the people who was put off by the Dead Island statue, and am generally anti- anything that exclusively alienates a female audience, but I honestly have no problem with the Senran Kagura games.

If you look at the content of the games themselves, sure they're a little lewd, but they're pretty much harmless. The violence is largely non-lethal, and despite the life and hometown shown, it's not sexual violence. There's innuendo, but less than you'd think. Any lechery is player<->game, and not character<->character.

It's of questionable taste, granted, but it's a pretty harmless game in the grand scheme of things. And it's actually a pretty decent game, unlike certain other T&A focused games.

I'm inclined to agree with you solely based on that avatar.

Seriously though, I don't think anyone that sees Senran Kagura Burst is expecting a serious, realistic social commentary of a story. It's just a fun, ridiculous game.

Lol. I hope no one thought I was serious. I agree and I would buy the game if money would allow.

Gbraga

Why do people think people are trying to take sexy away from people. No one is taking the boobs away.

The problem lies when you make your examples using games that are supposed to be sexualizing, it would be an issue if every woman in The Last of Us was sexualized when every man was not (which happens in a lot of "serious" games), but Senran Kagura is about boobs. Using it as an example of what's wrong with the media is basically asking the game not to exist.

Senran Kagura is probably the worst game you could pick to plant your anti-sexism flag on. Yes, there is oodles of fanservice. But the game goes out of its way to portay its characters as strong individuals with their own personalities and goals. It's not Shakespeare, but it's far more thorough characterization than you see in most action games. I sort of view this through a distorted categorical imperative: that fanservice is not inherently bad, but that to treat a character mere fanservice is when there is a problem.

I'd go so far as to declare that something like Yakuza is more casually sexist than Senran Kagura. Look at the way host and hostess clubs work differently in the game. When you're the host, your sole job is to keep the customer happy and spending money. When you're in a hostess club, all of the women are immediately interested in you and want to get to know you as a person. Not to mention the running trend of any woman you fight turning out to be a cross-dresser. It's never outright said, but I find the implications of such double standards to be far worse than any of Senran Kagura's in-your-face fanservice.

The author really needs to stop looking at the surface of games and examine how women as characters are portrayed, rather than what they look like. Sexism is a problem, but it's rarely immediately apparent through screenshots. It's when a game implies that there is an inherent superiority to one gender that it arises.

Pretty much it. Sex isn't an issue, looking at boobs and claiming "misogyny" is ridiculous.

There are plenty of Japanese games that have positive and memorable portrayals of women. Japanese games were often at the forefront of puting female characters in prominent or even starring roles. Everyone remembers Terra 20 years later, I doubt it will be the same for whatever the girl's name in Uncharted is.

Not only that, but also most pretty boys in games come from japanese games as well, just look at how many "lolz this game is gay" comments Final Fantasy Versus XIII got because it's a party made of pretty boys that make fangirls and me go crazy and hope for a gay couple (will never happen >_<)

dan2026

Can we have more games with chubby girls please?

I like a girl with a little bit of meat on her and I feel my needs are not being met by the gaming industry.

Hubb

Can we have more games with chubby girls please?

I like a girl with a little bit of meat on her and I feel my needs are not being met by the gaming industry.

There are Chubby girls in Senran, they are just NPCs. Get your needs met.

Village

Yup. Why not talk about all the hours Kojima admits spending on Snake's ass.

Oh yeah, that wont get as many clicks.

That confession in the confessional about doing stories like this for the clicks really soured me on the whole thing.

The people with less take pertinence apparently.

Top Bottom