• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Amazon’s Android console to launch this year priced below $300

chadskin

Running the Android operating system, the system will compete directly with Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, offering the streaming and download of games, music, movies and TV content, multiple sources have told VG247.

Senior publishing sources have been meeting with Amazon for a briefing on the hardware – which currently goes by a number of different codenames – and popular Android and iOS games have been used to demo the device.

The unit being shown to publishers at this point is said to be roughly the same size as the PSone redesign, grey in colour, oblong in shape and with sharp edges. However, the pre-production unit is likely to have a full makeover before any official release.

The hardware is being created in conjunction with subsidiary Lab 126, designers of Amazon’s Kindle devices.

Amazon will target an affordable price point – we’re told below $300 in the US – in a pricing move similar to Amazon’s marketing of the Kindle Fire HD against high-end iPad hardware from Apple.

More at VG247

Why would I pay 300 bucks for a console that plays mostly tablet games or am I missing something?
How does this compete with Sony/MS/BigN at all?

Hasn't Amazon been hiring some big talent from the industry for the past two years or so? This might be more then just an Ouya.

KoopaTheCasual

Well, I doubt they'll have trouble marketing the damn thing, since it's going to be all over Amazon for like a month, but I wonder how many units they expect it to sell lifetime?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
$199 is a bomba.
Why the hell would i pay half the price of a ps4 OR almost the price of a current/the price of a current gen console during sales- on an ANDROID device?
Its illogical
It's obvious that they are aiming for more than Mobile games, though. And unlike Ouya, Amazon has the resources to do so.

KoopaTheCasual

Running the Android operating system, the system will compete directly with Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, offering the streaming and download of games, music, movies and TV content, multiple sources have told VG247.
I don't think people understand we're no longer talking about an Ouya anymore....

This sounds like a legit competitor.

maneil99

Amazon doesn't even that many phone games. Their app store is terrible and really no better than the Windows Phone store. Compared to the iTunes app store and Google Play, it's pretty sparse.

it run most likely include google play if it were android no?

kadotsu

Banned
How many seconds will it take until it is rooted and piracy starts? Regardless it will be fun to see what proposition amazon will make.

Supposedly, Amazon is building their 1st party developer studios that will craft content for this console...

That's true, but if it's using an ARM/mobile processor, what will their studios even have to work with? That sounds like it would be incredibly underpowered to get any of the games that people buy dedicated gaming systems for. Are mobile processors even capable of matching a PS3, 360, out Wii U yet?

it run most likely include google play if it were android no?
Nope. Amazon's version of Android is forked. It's their own thing. Their version of Android is, to put it simply, "unofficial" or incompatible with official, Google-certified Android.

cacildo

Is this really made to play cell phone games on the tv??

Or am i missing something?

Because.... cell phone games... on the tv.... well.... they´re not even good enough for cell phones, to begin with

Aad

Techcrunch Rumor: Amazon's console is powered by Snapdragon, presumably Adreno 330

Since people might have some questions about what this is and isn't, I thought I would make a list explaining the processor inside and showing what it does.

I am making the assumption it's the Snapdragon 800/Adreno 330, but given Amazon's job postings and tons of other devices launching this Fall, I feel very confident in this prediction.

What This WILL Do:
  • Have support for modern game engine architectures (it supports GPGPU computation and a lot of modern graphical effects through OpenGL ES 3.0, OpenCL, Renderscript Compute, and other modern mobile APIs).
  • Generally have a modern GPU featureset.
  • Support things like realtime reflections, refractions, moving cloth, and the kinds of things you would expect to see in a game from the seventh generation.
  • Have good performance when running modern mobile games or games targeted at the hardware.
  • Be a bit more powerful than the tablet version as it's plugged into a wall socket and thus has less wattage restrictions.
What This WONT Do:
  • Be a direct competitor to the PS4 and Xbox One.
  • Have modern CPU/GPU computational/rendering performance.
  • Look quite as good as a higher end 360/PS3 games.
  • Run The Witcher 3.
Here are a few images and a video showing off their demos and performance so far:

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HuheI31Wuo

And a performance chart for their early demos:

gl-1_610x302oxpc2.jpg

Via: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3126_7-57589962/qualcomm-snapdragon-800-incinerates-the-competition/

And here's the rumor article:

Source: http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/09/am...d-games-console-and-media-box-by-end-of-year/

Rumor: Amazon's new game console is core oriented, Amazon snapping up game devs

gngf123

Hasn't Amazon been hiring some big talent from the industry for the past two years or so? This might be more then just an Ouya.

Yeah, I remember them doing this as well.

I'll be interested to see what it ends up being. I think it's too soon to put it to one side as a glorified Ouya. There's nothing inherently wrong with Android as an operating system.

KoopaTheCasual

In what country?
What exactly is so unbelievable about a giant company like Amazon putting out competitive hardware? (and when I say competitive, I don't mean spec matched to PS4, i mean providing a solid price/power ratio) That has been Nintendo's mantra for a long time (please ignore the WiiU), so a company not burned by the "kiddy" stigma, with more avenues for marketing could potentially do well.

TheD

The Detective
Is "below $300" likely going to mean $299?
Because at that price it does not stand a snowball's chance in hell of selling well.

Even if it was a lot cheaper, it would still not be real competition for the console makers due to a lack of power and being designed around running tablet/phone games.

No, it's gonna use a Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC.

So it is going to be a pile of crap GPU wise https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09/26/dolphin-emulator-and-opengl-drivers-hall-fameshame/

nampad

It being under 300 bucks should be a given, even 200 would probably be too much. Their Kindle Fire HD tablets are very cheap, don't see them pricing their microconsole with similar hardware any higher.
Hope we hear more about it and their first party games soon.

HariKari

Isn't Amazon's android a lot more limited than actual android and does not have the play store?

Yeah, and I hate it. It's great for a Kindle, which is meant to be a tablet for people who are new to tablets, in a way. But they should absolutely utilize the full potential of Android and not lock the system down.

i don't understand what type of content/experience is on offer here that i cant already get

I don't really see a market for this, like the Ouya. Lots of games are designed around a touchscreen for the phones and tablets. At $300 I think it's a hard sell when the sort of person this appeals to probably has a device or two capable of doing the same thing already.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Snapping up MS talent, oh good, I'm not affected.

Is it going to carry the Kindle name, because I don't think people want to read books off of their television. ;)

Lucifon

Is this $299 to play Android games and media on my TV, because if so then hell no. But if we can stream PC games to the device then it could get a little more interesting.

James Coote

Neo Member
As a massive OUYA fan and having made a game for that device, I think Amazon are making a mistake.

The hardcore gamer market don't want a slightly cheaper, slightly inferior machine (as shown by Wii-U). Those consumers are going to want the real deal, which is a PS4 or Xbox One, not some watered down crap. Plus that end of the market is already seriously overcrowded.

Microconsoles really should be aiming at the casual market, with a cheap, impulse purchase price range box, and bright cartoony games.

Most casual gamers don't identify themselves as gamers, so aren't likely to buy something specifically pitched as a games console. On tablets/smartphones, people don't buy those for the games, even if that is what they end up actually using the devices for most of the time.

Amazon have the opportunity to stealth sneak their console under the TV by pitching it as an Nextflix / TV streaming box primarily, but that also has some games as well.

Top Bottom