• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Amazon’s Android console to launch this year priced below $300

$300 dollars for a Netflix & Android games device? That seems incredibly expensive. Surely about double what they need to price it at to be a success and be a reasonable cost for what it offers.

James Coote

Neo Member
I think Android is the single worst OS you can put on a dedicated game console. Not sure what they are even thinking about.

Why not use Linux instead? Android is basically severely gimped, overencumbered version of Linux hamstrung by Java.

You can use c++ on Android. You can also directly access the graphics card (OpenGL context) from both c++ and java, thus skipping all the overhead Android introduces.

Also, garbage collection on java is a lot better than in days gone by. If you code your game with performance in mind, you might lose maybe 1 frame per minute to GC

Chumpion

No no no no fucking fuck no. I really hope this bombs because its success would translate to less resources for computationally complex games, which are vital to the advancement of our industry slash art form.

Tobor

I don't understand what's taking them so long. This needed to launch before the next gen systems, if only by a month or so.

At this rate, next gen systems will have sold well over 10 million combined before this "competitor" gets out of the door.

monome

Foreworld saga games and I buy it regardless of specs.
also a sweet new sci-fi IP under Eric Nylund's supervision would be sweet-ass.

TheD

The Detective
*Headdesk*

Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees.

What the hell are you on about?!

The fact you said that SteamOS is not GNU/Linux shows that you are out of your depth.
There is no such thing as a single GNU/Linux!
Any operating system that uses the GNU userspace and Linux kernel (which SteamOS does) is GNU/Linux!

Android on the other hand is an OS based off the Linux kernel, but not the GNU (and freedesktop) userland and thus is not GNU/Linux!

The simple fact is that if they chose Android they have decided to use it for a reason (which is unlikely to be technical), thus getting support for Phone and Tablet games is a likely reason.

E92 M3

I love everything Amazon - been on Prime since inception, sell on there, their payment network, grocery shopping, etc - but don't see how an Android console can be relevant to my needs for quality video games. Maybe there will be some solid indie games, but who knows? Also, the controller has to be quality.

Durante

Also, garbage collection on java is a lot better than in days gone by. If you code your game with performance in mind, you might lose maybe 1 frame per minute to GC
Coding a game "with performance in mind" in Java, in my experience on Android, amounts to "not doing any dynamic memory allocation/freeing", basically writing your own heap/reuse lists. I moved my game from ~35 FPS to ~60 FPS on a Galaxy S2 just by doing that. At that point I would rather just be programming C++ (well, I'd always be, but that's besides the point)!

All the disadvantages of a home console, combined with an even worse selection of games than an ordinary Android phone, all for $50-100 more than a PS3, Xbox 360, or Wii U? What's not to love?

Pain

Banned
Let me guess, Amazon... no Google Play access?
Google Play doesn't offer TV games so why bother?
I'm sure their plan is to built a device that will eventually become a good alternative to PS4/XB1. They'll probably release a new model every year too. If this thing takes off MS/Sony will be forced to release new consoles sooner than expected.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I think an Android-based console could work, provided there are enough apps made for it which target tv and controls (like a regular console), and not just dump phone apps on it. Of course that requires a whole lot of work. The Ouya failed because the apps specifically written for it just weren't good and plentiful enough. Amazon has a bit more weight to throw around though! But excluding the Google Play store would make things much harder.

If someone just wants regular Android apps on tv, there's a million Android TV sticks out there for less than $100.

If a WiiU can't sell at around $300 what makes Amazon think they can sell an Android-based console near that price point.

This thing is DOA

DieH@rd

Banned
No mass produced Android SoC system can cost $300, not even if they put bluray and HDD drive in it.

This has to be something more technicaly complicated. Especially since it comes from Amazon, company that is known for pushing their 1st party hardware by selling it at a loss.

who are the people who would like to buy an android console? where is this market that after playing in their cell phones will think: ''I need to get a new console and I will go with the amazon android to play all that free to play material, it is only 300 USD''.

who are the people who would like to buy an android console? where is this market that after playing in their cell phones will think: ''I need to get a new console and I will go with the amazon android to play all that free to play material, it is only 300 USD''.

I love how people keep ignoring that they have been hiring big talent for original games.

tino

Banned
A core oriented home console by a new player is not going to do well, especially at that price point.

If it was Nintendo presenting a series of DS-Android mobile devices and a DS-Androit Tv at 200$ or less, maybe it could have had a chance.

If you're targeting casual gamers, I think that 150$ is the max you can ask for it.

I agree. Its much easier to subsidize a 150 biux box too.

It's pretty shortsighted to just write this thing off. It could be a legit competitor, especially depending on how nice the multimedia features are.

This could be where gaming is headed in the future.

DieH@rd

Banned
It's pretty shortsighted to just write this thing off. It could be a legit competitor, especially depending on how nice the multimedia features are.

This could be where gaming is headed in the future.

Amazon managed to dominate in android tablet sales by closely connecting their hardware with their multimedia and sales services [also by hardware being cheap and very well made].
http://cdn0.tnwcdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2013/01/global-android-tablet-share.png

They will now try to do the same with HDTV as a primary display device. However to call this a console, they need to prove that it has the games. And that means no games that have bad controls, larger catalogue that covers more than just Android ports, no games that are clearly designed for touch, and clear presence of unique games that users cant get anywhere else.

Multimedia support will be fine, but games...

Wasn't the rumor that they had some pretty big studios interested in making games on this thing/not just phone games on your TV.

Wasn't the rumor that they had some pretty big studios interested in making games on this thing/not just phone games on your TV.
They've built a few first party studios for it. I don't know about 3rd party but I imagine the ones who dabble in android games would be interested.

So, you pay more to get a device that is less powerful than a last-gen system and has no decent game library (there are very few good android games and they are all optimised for phones/tablets, not consoles).
Why on earth would you buy one instead of a 360/PS3?

Mindwipe

What the hell are you on about?!

Lets try a third time. It would be helpful this time if you read what I actually say, rather than the imaginary version in your head.

The fact you said that SteamOS is not GNU/Linux shows that you are out of your depth.

Except I didn't.

There is no such thing as a single GNU/Linux
Any operating system that uses the GNU userspace and Linux kernel (which SteamOS does) is GNU/Linux!

Shame I never mentioned it. Otherwise you might have a point.

SteamOS might keep the GNU userspace, but it has been built on and customised in many other ways. Which was precisely my point - that just because you start from a basic core of Linux, or indeed a basic core of Android or any other OS, doesn't mean that these projects don't all built on it to their requirements anyway.

Android on the other hand is an OS based off the Linux kernel, but not the GNU (and freedesktop) userland and thus is not GNU/Linux!

Yes. Which again, isn't actually in disagreement to anything I said.

The simple fact is that if they chose Android they have decided to use it for a reason (which is unlikely to be technical), thus getting support for Phone and Tablet games is a likely reason.

It's likely to be for a bunch of reasons, some of which are technical and some of which are ecosystem related.

PVR

I am really hoping that someone can pull a good micro-console, Maybe apple, Samsung or Amazon. I really want a good, cheap system with good games that don't cost $50 or $60. I had great hopes for the Vita TV but seeing how limited it is at the moment I don't think that is the product I am looking for.

fernoca

It would be cool if it could work like the JXD tablets (which support Google Play). This tablets have controllers built-in and you can map touch and motions to each button; even analog directions. I played one of those Gladiator/fighting games on mine and mapped the different swipes to each button and movement to the left analog; which made it play like any other/regular fighting game.

Anyway, for $300 is weird. I expect something else for that price. I like my Ouya but only paid $60 for it and got a $10 credit too.

2 things amazon has that Ouya did not...

Big name industry talent

Marketting.

Of the two, the second is definitely better for the initial market penetration (something Ouya needed but could never afford), but the first means it could really have staying power.

I'm not going to jump on it, especially not day one... but it is something to keep an eye on and might really end up surprising people in the long run.

2 things amazon has that Ouya did not...

Big name industry talent

Marketting.

Of the two, the second is definitely better for the initial market penetration (something Ouya needed but could never afford), but the first means it could really have staying power.

I'm not going to jump on it, especially not day one... but it is something to keep an eye on and might really end up surprising people in the long run.

Another thing to consider is that Amazon KNOWS pricing. They wouldn't price their console at $300 unless they knew it was worth that much to consumers.

A $300 android box running mobile hardware sounds like something that will die at launch. Of course people said the same thing about a console running Windows and pc hardware.The OG Xbox wasn't the first console running Windows by a long shot.

Ultimately it comes down to the games. Not the specs and not the branding of the internals.

PFD

I'm expecting this to be like the Kindle. Very slow reception in the first couple years, then it'll explode and sell tons of units

Snapping up MS talent, oh good, I'm not affected.

Is it going to carry the Kindle name, because I don't think people want to read books off of their television. ;)
I think they should call it Lantern. And I figure they're going to push it as an accessory to the Kindle Fire HD.

Hari Seldon

I'm in agreement with gaf, dead on arrival. Mobile games suck, the cat is out of the bag. They can poach all the talent they want but their 1st party is not going to be anywhere near as good as Nintendo, and no one is buying the WiiU. Core gamers want innovation and graphics, not freemium mobile bullshit.

Top Bottom