• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: PS1/PS2 games heading to PlayStation 4

chadskin

A well-placed source working with Sony's streaming service reveals that only PlayStation 3 titles are currently scheduled to use the "gameplay over IP" cloud service. PS1 and PS2 titles are set to follow the more conventional route of running locally under emulation on Sony's latest console - but with the possibility of HD visual enhancements.

While Sony effectively phased out hardware emulation of previous platforms during the early stages of the PS3 era, it has worked consistently on opening up the PlayStation back catalogue to publishers via software emulation and PSN downloads. Internally, PlayStation 3's firmware contains emulators for PS1, PS2 and even the handheld PSP, while Vita is capable of running PS1 and Vita titles virtually flawlessly using the same technology. In short, there's a proven codebase that can only get better for the vastly more powerful PS4.

Our information suggests that the same internal emulator strategy is planned for PlayStation 4, and we understand that Sony is actively pursuing the ability for older titles to run without the blurry upscaling seen on PS3, suggesting that native HD resolutions are being targeted. Assuming this intention carries through to final code, we'll be seeing an effect similar to the resolution scaling seen on unofficial PC emulation of Sony's consoles, as well as a great many of the "HD remasters" we saw on PS3 - where original assets were rendered at a higher resolution, often without any actual remastering at all.

via Eurogamer

GT4 still looks so good

untitledyeooa.png

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I know you were eager to post but at least have a link ready.

Good man.

An actual emulator to run the PS1/2 games to make them look cleaner? That would be amazing.

S¡mon

Banned
Some quotes from the article:

Backwards compatibility is coming to PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Now is only part of the story. A well-placed source working with Sony's streaming service reveals that only PlayStation 3 titles are currently scheduled to use the "gameplay over IP" cloud service. PS1 and PS2 titles are set to follow the more conventional route of running locally under emulation on Sony's latest console - but with the possibility of HD visual enhancements.

Our information suggests that the same internal emulator strategy is planned for PlayStation 4, and we understand that Sony is actively pursuing the ability for older titles to run without the blurry upscaling seen on PS3, suggesting that native HD resolutions are being targeted. Assuming this intention carries through to final code, we'll be seeing an effect similar to the resolution scaling seen on unofficial PC emulation of Sony's consoles, as well as a great many of the "HD remasters" we saw on PS3 - where original assets were rendered at a higher resolution, often without any actual remastering at all.

Thank god they're just going to do emulation for PS1/PS2 games. I have a bunch and would rather just download them than rely on PSNow, regardless of how good that system ends up being

mattp

this is great news
not a huge deal or selling point
but i'm glad sony still cares about this. i was worried they were going to say ps now is the only way to play old titles. which is less than ideal

NyMartin

Banned
So I'll eventually be able to use my ps1 and ps2 discs again?
If so thats great, I understand that ps3 games may be too complex due to cell and therefore I guess those will need "PS Now"

I sure hope so. I can understand no native PS3 emulator, but having to play PS2 & PS1 games on Playstation Now seems like overkill.

Now, if only they can make a PS2 emulator for vita... :D

Ishida

Banned
Maybe a stupid question, but how are they going to handle PS2 games that use pressure-sensitive controllers, if the Dual Shock 4 no longer supports it?

Drencrom

Great to hear, there is no reason to stream PS1/PS2 games when you can play them on the console with emulation.

Having them in high resolution would be amazing too.

Hasney

Excellent, need to be cross-buy with the PS3 and Vita versions though, or at the very least, a small upgrade fee like with Nintendo.

If they charge full price again I'll unfortunately just ignore the feature.
Great to hear, there is no reason to stream PS1/PS2 games when you can play them on the console with emulation.

A Netflix style subscription with a good library would still be a good reason to stream, at least for me.

Let's hope the prices are reasonable - having to pay 19.99 for a PSP title Trails in the Sky on Vita worries me that PS2 games could be priced around the same.

Here's hoping for the best of both worlds.

meppi

Yes please!

Hope they finally get around to getting the royalties for the other WipEout games worked out.

PS1 and PS2 titles are set to follow the more conventional route of running locally under emulation on Sony's latest console - but with the possibility of HD visual enhancements.
Oh god, please 1080p res with AA and AF. Oh please god yes. I don't care if you charge for the emulator, just give it to me and i'll buy the damn games. GIVE IT TO MEEE.

S¡mon;98732561 said:
Some quotes from the article:

Oh my FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

4y7MzjU.gif

Andrefpvs

This is fantastic news and I honestly hope it happens. Especially the part about rendering assets at a higher resolution.

Talax

If this happens, then all I need is a digital copy of Shadow Hearts 1,2 and 3 and my life will be complete!!!!

Majmun

Let's hope the prices are reasonable - having to pay 19.99 for a PSP title Trails in the Sky on Vita worries me that PS2 games could be priced around the same.

Here's hoping for the best of both worlds.

Trails is an exception, though. Most "retro" games are much cheaper than that.

I hope I don't have to rebuy the Ps1 games I already own on my PSN account.

if you own them on your psn account, i doubt you'll have to rebuy them. they carry over to every other sony device capable of playing them (psp, ps3, vita....)

i doubt disc based games will work however, guessing it will just be the ones on the store

LAA

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I would have said "But will KH1/2 be on PS4", which I would probably doubt, but getting remade for PS3 anyway, so I'm good :D.

Looking forward to what games will come to it and how it'll look.

I hope I don't have to rebuy the Ps1 games I already own on my PSN account.

Might be wishful thinking, but logically I don't see why you would, upscaling or no. If PSone content transfers over to the Vita for free, it should be the same here. -cross fingers-

Mondy

Banned
This sounds like a much better idea to me. If you can run the games on the actual hardware, then you may as well do it. If it weren't for the Cell Processor, PSNow wouldn't have needed to exist at all by the sounds of it.

Nymphae

Banned
So they're saying these will be possibly be offered as PSN downloads rather than part of the PSNow service?

If that's the case I am very happy about that, I'd much rather download PS1 & 2 games for play on my Vita than have to stream & sub via PSNow.

OH GOD YES THIS IS HUGE!
JUST PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET ME PLAY MY PS2 COLLECTION
PLEASE!

sorry. god.

EDIT: NATIVE HD??? OH MY GOD. I WANT IT SOOOOO BAD. SOOOOONY

Top Bottom