• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: PS1/PS2 games heading to PlayStation 4

Tobor

I hope I don't have to rebuy the Ps1 games I already own on my PSN account.

I wouldn't worry. When they added Vita support any supported game tied to your account could be downloaded free of charge. They'll do the same with the PS4.

monlo

Seriously, thank god Sony actually tries to use their machines for more than they're originally intended.

I don't understand why companies like Nintendo don't exploit the shit out of emulation, third party apps, etc.

It's a gold mine. Ask iOS

Jacobi

Banned
That would be epic. Always wondered why nobody did this when I was able to play Silent Hill in like 2002 at high resolutions...

I really hope this works out.

SMT: Nocturne or bust

It'd also be nice to get Crash Team Racing and Tekken 3 so that I actually have a use for my second controller.

teiresias

This would be both awesome and appreciated!!! I refused to believe they were going to force me to stream gigabyte-upon-gigabyte of video to play a PS1 game on a PS4.

Andrefpvs

Also, this news coupled with this patent make for very interesting predictions.

I think I'd even pay a very small upgrade fee to have my purchased PSone classics support HD rendering of assets and PSN stuff like that patent I linked.

Ushiwaka

Okami on PS4...

5mPQjR9.gif

It would be beyond amazing.

Well no shit

I would be puzzled i f they didn't do this.

PlayStation noe is a nice service but given consumers choice and reliability. .. especially when you have a unified account system and emulators handy

It Just Makes Sense

ReaperXL7

Oh please be real, I will rebut copies of Radiata stories, Suikoden 3/4, God hand, and so many others if this is the case.

Please be real....

OK. Now release that Shinobi + Nightshade pack I've been waiting for the last 5 or so years, do it in 1080p60 and PS4's existence is justified with this alone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I doubt they'll let you just put a PS2 disc in and play - it'll be reselling you PS2 games downloaded from PSN.

And as before, it'll start with a trickle of games and for Europe will probably never move beyond a trickle (grr shitty PSP/PSone list)

Oh man. Getting to play all the classics I missed having only owned an N64 and an OG Xbox would be incredible. Do it Sony. In Cerny we trust.

ramuh

you're asking an awful lot of Konami in 2014

Lol. Maybe thats all they should do for 2014. Getting Suikoden 2 (with all the translation, region stuff) sorted out and released. And I'd like Vandal Hearts 2. As soon as they said PS1 Emulation, my wishlist has exploded. I wouldn't mind playing something like RE 2 upscaled or something.

hodgy100

This is great. the money i sunk into the ps1 classics won't go to waste :), I'd be very very surprised if they allow the use of ps1 and 2 disk's mind you...

Famassu

Should have SHOCKING NEWS in the thread title, just to mock those who were certain that PlayStation Now would mean the end of PS1 & PS2 emulation.

Amneisac

I really, really want this to happen, but somehow I feel like my dream scenario where this allows me to put all my PS1/PS2 discs into my PS4 and play them isn't how this is going to materialize.

Slime

Banned
I hope this is true. I was worried Now would discourage them from pursuing this kind of BC.

Hope PS2 support includes discs this time, and not just downloads. My PS2, PS3 and PS4 are all still in use because of that.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have a feeling that if they streamed the catalog, we'd be getting a lot more titles than through emulation.

They could potentially make an awesome PS2-like hardware server that streamed PS2 games with no need to custom code an emulator for each title.

Now they're going to have to tinker with the emulator for each game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
YAY

PSNow isn't for me, I don't like streamed games, but the ability to play old games natively and enhanced is always good.

Should have SHOCKING NEWS in the thread title, just to mock those who were certain that PlayStation Now would mean the end of PS1 & PS2 emulation.

They arent going to turn away easy emulator sales you kidding me?

What do you think has been putting up these big digital numbers for them lately?

ramuh

This is great. the money i sunk into the ps1 classics won't go to waste :), I'd be very very surprised if they allow the use of ps1 and 2 disk's mind you...

I doubt it will just let you pop in your PS1 Spyro and play away. Probably strictly through the PSN.

Trails is an exception, though. Most "retro" games are much cheaper than that.

That's true - however, because the PS2 is more recent than the PS1, it might follow that pricing pattern. There are few games at that price point, but surely the demand for PS2 games on a new system - after nearly a generation of unavailability - would rationalize their decision to price the games higher.

Not saying I like it, but it's a genuine concern.

Hasney

60Hz only or get lost. Don't want to deal with 50Hz any more

Not a big deal on a home console compared to Vita though as you can just setup a US account to buy the games and then play them on your EU account.

Using the original discs that we have should be out of the question?

Probably. They didn't let you when they added PS2 software emulation for the classics.

In the unlikely event they did work, I would expect a 360 BC situation where some games work and some don't.

Good Stuff. Id like to play alot of the older games like parasite eve and dark cloud. Only issue i see is that people wont need to get NOW unless theyd like to play past PS3 games instead.

Retroactive crossbuy for Odin Sphere and god hand will be fantastic( don't think I own any ps2 discs anymore only started collecting last gen).

Xater

I hope this is true. I was worried Now would discourage them from pursuing this kind of BC.

Hope PS2 support includes discs this time, and not just downloads. My PS2, PS3 and PS4 are all still in use because of that.

I really really doubt that it will support discs.

ClearData

This pleases me greatly. Great to know Playstation Now won't be the only way to get at the back catalogue.

I'd love to play the Persona series with a few visual enhancements.

Amneisac

I just can't see how this makes financial sense for any publisher or Sony. It's something I would love to have, it would be amazing, but I can't see how publishers would want me to be able to just pop FFX in and play it upscaled instead of spending $40 on the remastered stuff. Obviously I know that specific version has more enhancements than just rendering at a higher resolution, but I think for most games the higher resolution would be good enough for me to not double dip on a re-released game.

Curufinwe

This is great news. God Hand and P3 FES looked pretty good on my PS3, but even cleaner looking versions of the PS2 Classics would be nice.

Famassu

I doubt they'll let you just put a PS2 disc in and play - it'll be reselling you PS2 games downloaded from PSN.

And as before, it'll start with a trickle of games and for Europe will probably never move beyond a trickle (grr shitty PSP/PSone list)
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Physical PS1 games were playable on PS3 as were physical PS2 games on older PS3s. I think the latter models don't play PS2 games (even the ones that have a digital release) from DVD simply because there's probably some trickery going on with the emulation of those digital PS2 classics, since PS3 isn't good enough to emulate most PS2 games that well. PS4 has a physical disc player, so they should be able to add support for physical PS1 & 2 games.

Zia

If true, I'll finally feel as if my PS4 isn't a colossal waste of space. I'll take We Love Katamari now, please.

I would love this so much.

PSOne is obvious since it's already on PS3/Vita, but PS2 seems trickier. Obviously there's already some PS2 games on PSN (Persona 3 FES for example), but the selection is still extremely limited. I wonder what kind of licensing issues they would face and how many games would actually end up on PSN. I worry publishers would opt to keep their PS2 games off PSN so they can HD-remaster and sell them again later. It took a long time for the current PSOne collection to be where it is and even still there are some obvious omissions (Suikoden II where are you?).

Top Bottom