• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs to have eight player free-roam multiplayer

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This seems like kind of a weird thing to announce as a twitter reply, but he's the creative director and neither he nor Ubisoft have objected to any site posting this (including IGN) so...

IGN said:
Watch Dogs will feature free roam multiplayer for up to eight players in its open world.

The news comes via Ubisoft creative director Jonathan Morin, who responded to a fan on Twitter asking what we should expect outside of the game's single-player offerings.
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/07/watch-dogs-to-have-8-player-open-world-multiplayer

nynt9

This actually sounds pretty exciting. I wish there were more details about how it will work though.

Plumpman

I hope that means it will "populate" your world with free roaming players automatically, if you so choose.

If its anything like GTA free roam lobbies it would break the immersion badly.

Whoa weird.

Up until now all I knew about was the 'invasion' part of the game where you come into people's worlds looking like regular pedestrians and try to hack into their phones or whatever. Or is this the same thing?

Wait, what? Sounds cool. But not every game needs mp! I would have bought it alone for sp. Last I heard the mp in this game was where some other player (hacker) could invade your game, right? I guess they had more to show! As long as mp is good, that is all that matters. It'll be a nice bonus.

Revven

Cool but I'm more interested by the "invading" MP -- seemed way cooler and taking a note from Demon's Souls/Dark Souls.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
8 serial killers (like in the trailer) to hunt each other? Or this actually involve some hacking beyond press button for explosion?

Lunar15

Given that this was never mentioned before the delay, is it possible that this could have been done during the extra time?

I'm not implying this was the reason for the delay, not enough evidence to make that claim, but rather that this is something new they cooked up during the time. Could be totally making shit up here, though.

So fucking happy they did this. Really wanted something in the form of co-op (actual co-op), but this is just as good :).

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Graphics downgrade aside, that would actually be awesome. Been dying for a good coop game with a good sandbox environment.

They deliver on content, I'll buy.

mclem

Given that this was never mentioned before the delay, is it possible that this could have been done during the extra time?

It may not have been explicitly mentioned, but wasn't there a pan out at the end of the original reveal which strongly suggested some sort of open-world multiplayer?

It may not have been explicitly mentioned, but wasn't there a pan out at the end of the original reveal which strongly suggested some sort of open-world multiplayer?

This.

It feels like conceptually Watch_Dogs wanted to have a unified open-world free roam experience where you could jump in another player's world and view what other Aiden's are doing, while also doing your own stuff on the side... but it's probably hard to achieve in a way that's teased at the original reveal.

Alienous

I hope they didn't delay the game based on implementing this.

I think the 'world invasion' mutliplayer they had before would suffice.

Well, I expected it to be more like the invade system in the Souls series or something. And more of a game mode than free roaming. Also was not expecting it to be for more than two players at once.

Salex_

Not surprised that a thread about actual gameplay features isn't getting any views/comments.

Somewhat interested in this game now.

This sounds good, as long as there is interesting stuff and activities to be made. But going by what they have showed from the SP, I better not hold my hopes up.

jackrubyn

Was it a dream, or did they announce some sort of "pretend to be an NPC" type of free roam MP deal? That would be fantastico.

fasTRapid

Banned
Only mp they showed and talked about before the delay was 1 player invading your world distinguished as an NPC so he can hack you.

MormaPope

Banned
Oh shit, here we go.

Whats about to happen?

Depending on the size of the city 8 people can either feel like enough or make the world seem empty. If the multiplayer is structured like a single player game with hacking and diving into NPC's lives and manipulating people en masse 8 people will be enough. If the free roaming aspect amounts to doing simple missions and co-op survival against enemy waves 8 people running around the entire city will make multiplayer feel empty. GTA Online has a ton of vehicle variety, with a small player count.

Plus we don't know if its 8 people on every platform or 4 people for last gen multiplayer or 16 players for the PC version.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We already saw the MP somewhat didn't we?
There was asymmetrical multiplayer involving invasions and the like, and some pre-order art for traditional multiplayer modes that seemed to have been canned, but I think this is the first time something like this was announced.

Violater

There was asymmetrical multiplayer involving invasions and the like, and some pre-order art for traditional multiplayer modes that seemed to have been canned, but I think this is the first time something like this was announced.

Yeesh, sounds like it should have stayed canned?
Only eight players seems like a very low number for what is supposedly an "open" map/world/whatever game.

Only eight players seems like a very low number for what is supposedly an "open" map/world/whatever game.

Considering how you can be more involved in the world than in GTA (hacking, the movement around the city, the tech, AI and so on) I would think 8 would be fine? I mean, is the game going to be as big as GTA5 in terms of map size?

As long as I can make a private game and my buddies can pop in and out at will, eight - as they say - is enough.

Violater

Considering how you can be more involved in the world than in GTA (hacking, the movement around the city, the tech, AI and so on) I would think 8 would be fine? I mean, is the game going to be as big as GTA5 in terms of map size?

You mean hacking NPCS? Not sure how that would work in a MP situation, the comparison to GTA is a valid one I guess( have not played GTAV but it has 16 players online no?).

As long as I can make a private game and my buddies can pop in and out at will, eight - as they say - is enough.

Would private games require a host situation, or do public servers allow you to create private matches??

Top Bottom