• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Questions/Community Feedback Regarding Project Morpheus

Liberty4all

Banned
Quick Update: So, just a quick heads up I got a response back from SCEA regarding this thread.

First off they ARE listening I was asked to make that very clear. The feedback in this thread is very helpful. Stuff like your opinions on cost, what you want to see happen with the unit, etc ... you can't get a better focus group than GAF when looking for the opinion of the hardcore audience. With that said, I can't promise any features we talk about (in this thread) will make it into the final unit (I don't want to set over expectations or anything like that). I can only say that this early in the game they are listening VERY closely to what we think and this thread is a conduit directly to some of the braintanks back at SCEA.

What I know:

Date: There's no date at all. Not even close. As most of you know GDC is an event just to give devs a peek and I guess it also starts the industry hype train a little.

Specs: What you saw last night is about all that's firm right now

Cost: They have ideas of a range but it's still up in the air (like waaay up in the air). Which is why I mentioned your thoughts are very useful on this.

Original OP:

One of the things I'm trying to do is send back community feedback from GAF to SCEA, feedback which will actually be read by senior staff there. I was thinking that with the reveal, maybe it would be helpful to have a thread I can send back to the folks in San Diego with thoughts on the reveal, and questions.

EDIT: TLDR, ALL QUESTIONS POSTED HERE WILL BE READ BACK AT SCEA

More than anything they want feedback from the hardcore crowd. Their entire strategy this gen (IMHO) has hinged on what you guys think.

GrizzNKev

Banned
The Rift is primarily aimed at sitting down while playing. Does Morpheus have the same goal, or is a broader range of movement being considered?

joeblow

Great GDC showing!

Question: Any chance that the final version will have some type of built-in force feedback (head rumble, lol)?

EDIT: You could also go all out and add a mini-slot for players to plug in little scent cartridges. Have gamers fully immersed with VR Smell-o-Vision, allowing us to sniff the surroundings as the headset activates the cartridges during gameplay.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This thing is going to get proper support right? Looking at past add-ons like 3D, Move etc it doesn't seem like much effort was put in at all and they were quickly forgotten.

graywolf323

is it comfortable for people with glasses? also if someone can't see 3D and it also gives them a headache would the VR still work without causing any pain?

aza

How wide a field-of-view are you guys aiming for in the consumer model? For instance, Oculus' Crystal Cove supports a 110° FOV, and you've announced that Project Morpheus supports a 90°+ FOV. I've used the original version of the Oculus Rift, and found its 90° FOV way too low.

For me, it has to support every game on the console it's used. I'm not buying a fringe peripheral that only supports proprietary games or that doesn't support any FPS I may want to play on my platform of choice. It will be tough to justify my $ otherwise.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm curious why you listed couch co-op in one of your slides, when inherently having someone put a VR device on their head eliminates/buffers a lot of games that make couch co-op or multiplayer in general great, most importantly, face-to-face interaction. What is the overall plan for this or what information are we missing?

Also reported was the idea that you can switch controllers/headsets in multiplayer games to shift between different roles in multiplayer games but TBH this seems pretty gimmicky too, as hotseat-type local multiplayer suffers in general in my experience.

Since it was a bullet point, I assumed there was a broader plan that I didn't really get a good idea of going off of liveblogs, and I would like this clarified.

Nakasan

Demoing and Doctors endorsements will be crazy important. Without, there will be huge concern from conservative types assuming it will damage eyes, ears, brains, everything

Liberty4all

Banned
For me, it has to support every game on the console it's used. I'm not buying a fringe peripheral that only supports proprietary games or that doesn't support any FPS I may want to play on my platform of choice. It will be tough to justify my $ otherwise.

Just my opinion but I think that it's a given that initially there will be "VR" titles and non VR titles.

Also IMHO but the virtual vacations thing is the sort of thing that would get casuals like my wife on the GAF hype train. Very smart move by Sony .... I honestly believe they are aiming at the casual market with a huge cannon.

How soon can I expect them to support Adult content.

What price range are you targeting with Morphesus? What audience? Gaming enthusiast only? Everyone?

joeblow

I'm curious why you listed couch co-op in one of your slides, when inherently having someone put a VR device on their head eliminates/buffers a lot of games that make couch co-op or multiplayer in general great, most importantly, face-to-face interaction. What is the overall plan for this or what information are we missing?

They discussed this at the conference. You and a local buddy can be playing an asymmetrical game where you are the hero with the headset and the buddy is watching the screen trying to defeat you. By doing so, you switch roles and give him the headset so he can do the heroics while you try to stop him.

I figure the 'hero' action is pure 1st person VR goodness, while the opponent next to you has a tactical view of what's going on. Neither player sees what the other is looking at as they compete.

Is getting trapped in a nightmarish virtual world for the rest of our lives a possibility? If so, what safeguards if any have Sony built into the system to mitigate this risk?

soultron

Banned
Is it planned for the consumer unit (if Morpheus is ever released to the public) to work as a development tool or will a dev need a separate, non-consumer unit to test/develop VR content on?

For me it has to;

-Be under US$400;
-Support the majority of releases on the console, if not all of them. 2D platformers and some indie games probably won't be able work with this sort of tech, I don't know;
-Not cause me to feel nauseated from prolonged use (1 hour or more);
-Be comfortable with glasses. Yes, we were told we can use it with glasses, but I can use 3D glasses with regular glasses and it's not comfortable;
-Be wireless;
-Have a battery life of at least 3 hours.

Will it be possible to use multiple Morpheuses for certain software applications (thinking of virtual vacations, which might be enhanced if you could go with another person)?

Kinsei

Banned
First of all let me say that the reveal was fantastic. As for my question: how hard are they working on getting non gaming support? I mean the Mars demo sounds great, and I'd love to see more things like it.

Ranger X

Sadly I don't believe in this.
Why bringing back VR now? What is different today that will make it work now?

The negative press of flashbacks and other after effects of using VR won't happen now?
People now will like to wear something on their head when wearing simple glasses for 3D displays basically prevented that idea to work at all?

And how is that thing ever getting out of the niche? How will you guys find a incentive for people to buy a PS4.... plus a camera... then a VR headset? This is 3 challenges to go through before this thing ever get a chance to take off. And how will you convince devs to support that anyways, knowing of all those problematic details, all of that risk?

Or is this maybe just a differentiating tool to distinguish the PS4 from the Xbone into some "overall marketing plan" for this gen?

Just my opinion but I think that it's a given that initially there will be "VR" titles and non VR titles.

In as tough a market as this is, I don't see a benefit to automatically assuming you're targeting a subset of your existing market. I think the promise of the medium demands that high fidelity titles show it off, which is expensive. I guess you would have to go bite size, episodic or figure something else out.

Also IMHO but the virtual vacations thing is the sort of thing that would get casuals like my wife on the GAF hype train. Very smart move by Sony .... I honestly believe they are aiming at the casual market with a huge cannon.

Could be valid, but I think Wii has shown how flippant that market it.

nelchaar

Can it work as a second screen? Let's say like the Vita does remote play. Consider the home television is being used by someone, and I want to play some PS4. Can I just use the VR headset as a television, akin to the Sony HMD-t line?

waxer

I got the impression that the second player wasnt playing in the same way. Your playing on the immersion that is created. You could be on a tablet or anything. Imagine being in the vr world while your friend is playing god. Running along and they add a giant rubber duck. While in normal gaming that doesnt mean much.
But in a 3d environment where the duck looks 2 stories tall its a completely different experience. Taking turns and interacting in between with a bit of banter would be fun even if you were wearing headphones while vr headset was worn.

Bsigg12

For me it has to;

-Be under US$400;
-Support the majority of releases on the console, if not all of them. 2D platformers and some indie games probably won't be able work with this sort of tech, I don't know;
-Not cause me to feel nauseated from prolonged use (1 hour or more);
-Be comfortable with glasses. Yes, we were told we can use it with glasses, but I can use 3D glasses with regular glasses and it's not comfortable;
-Be wireless;
-Have a battery life of at least 3 hours.

I'm going to tell you right now, this won't happen. Going over all the slides as they were released, developing VR is fundamentally different than typical games. Ultrarealistic games will not show up on VR because they need to make games that run at as high of a framerate as possible with as little issues as possible to keep from breaking immersion and making people sick. I fully expect the VR games to be stylized to an extent to minimize aliasing and allow devs to push 60 fps.

Wii Tank

Is there going to be support for more than one VR headset at a time? I guess the only other thing I could see myself caring about is the battery life. I'm pretty excited for something like this, but it really depends on how much support it gets. The Move didn't really get a whole lot

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It was a good reveal for fans but I think that we really need to have at least a list of developers with a known track record to really get the community excited.

I'd also like to know what display tech they're using (please be OLED)

DrkSage

Question:

It will use the PS Move controller right?
But will it use a new designed PS Move controller or the old one released a few years ago?

Exentryk

Can it work as a second screen? Let's say like the Vita does remote play. Consider the home television is being used by someone, and I want to play some PS4. Can I just use the VR headset as a television, akin to the Sony HMD-t line?

Yes, this sounds good for a start at least with limited VR titles. Playing on the bed or something with a wireless controller...

Exentryk

I'd also like to know what display tech they're using (please be OLED)

LCD

eOgl1aq.png

Stoffinator

This thing is going to get proper support right? Looking at past add-ons like 3D, Move etc it doesn't seem like much effort was put in at all and they were quickly forgotten.

My thoughts exactly. But being this will probably be a couple hundred dollar add on, I think they would support it for atleast six months.

Liberty4all

Banned
Is there going to be support for more than one VR headset at a time? I guess the only other thing I could see myself caring about is the battery life. I'm pretty excited for something like this, but it really depends on how much support it gets. The Move didn't really get a whole lot

Again just my thoughts, but note that it appears they have been prototyping VR since 2010 using Move based on that slide they showed in the presentation. Move came out in September 2010.

It is entirely possible that Move was always meant to be a VR peripheral that got moved up when MS moved ahead with Kinect. Again just my thoughts ...

Freeman

Banned
Virtual theater option to play non-VR games and movies.
Something like PSHome made with VR in mind.
Big support from Sony internal studios.
PlayStation add featuring Antonio Banderas and Laurence Fishburne.
Provide support so it can be used for PC.
Two front facing cameras. This will allow for AR as well as for a quick option to look around without having to take off the headset.
Option to tape Two Ps4 together to improve graphics in VR mode.

Please plan on supporting the PC with it.

And start planning on doing it now.

If you don't it will be dead in the water on the platform as it will have been beaten by several other products.

If you're fine with keeping it on the Playstation ecosystem, that's fine, just know you're missing out on some money if it's truly a quality product.

Top Bottom