• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Questions/Community Feedback Regarding Project Morpheus

Tik-Tok

I'm really excited about VR but I absolutely will not buy more than one VR headset. I'd live to be able to use VR on both my PS4 and my PC. If Sonys solution doesn't work on PC I feel like I'd be more inclined to purchase a solution that does.
So please make it PC compatible.

LX_Theo

Banned
The more content shown... The more the specifications are nailed down and announced...

That is when I will be able to get behind this. People want information. They want to know it'll work before any REAL support starts to form (rather than this early days excitement).

I'm going to tell you right now, this won't happen. Going over all the slides as they were released, developing VR is fundamentally different than typical games. Ultrarealistic games will not show up on VR because they need to make games that run at as high of a framerate as possible with as little issues as possible to keep from breaking immersion and making people sick. I fully expect the VR games to be stylized to an extent to minimize aliasing and allow devs to push 60 fps.

It would be nice to play non-vr games rendered on a virtual 200" TV though with the headset.

Griss

1. They said it was a platform. Does this mean it will live beyond the PS4? To put it another way, is it tied only to the PS4 or could it be used with other devices?
2. What is the resolution for each eye?
3. What kind of reduction in graphical fidelity will it require to get things running in VR?
4. How heavy is the prototype?
5. Does it use batteries? What kind of life could we expect?

They'll know that people have these questions but I might as well throw them out there anyway.

waxer

I would like to see some end of the day wind down experiences. Do some interactive asmr stuff.
Use the new binaural sound for non vr games like a interactive audio book with basic sound games that requires only controller to play.

How much will it cost is the big one. I'm having a hard time seeing how it could be cheaper than their currently on the market sub-1080p wearable TV that retails for $1000.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNJGJN0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thats been covered quite a bit in other threads. Totally unrelated cost wise.

UrbanRats

Since the specs are already very good, the only worry i have is this:

This thing is going to get proper support right? Looking at past add-ons like 3D, Move etc it doesn't seem like much effort was put in at all and they were quickly forgotten.

It should be $399
games in development?
and how about a 110 FoV instead of 90?
will they be making the rift clone look more like the camera and console? instead of something straight out of portal..
and I swear to God, Mirrors Edge 2 better support it.

Tigress

You know, VR would actually make Minecraft interesting to me. Or something similar. Especially if it could be something social where you could invite people over (or keep them out) to the home that you built.

Imagine making your own personal virtual world to experience... like having a home page on the web but instead it's your virtual home. And you get to customize how it looks and its furnishings and everything.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
how much cost?
will work on pc?
will other vr headsets work on ps4?
what are implications for broader ecosystem if each hardware provider develops incompatible vr headsets in addition to emerging pc options? will multi-platform owners really own multiple vr headsets despite essentially 90%+ overlapping technologies and product aims?

Konosuke

How do you guys plan to launch it and sell it? Will there be bundles with a game with good prices? Something like a PS4 + Morpheus + PS Wireless Headset + PS Move?

Since both Morpheus and the Rift are unreleased, why not co-develop standard APIs?

Will E3 2014 or 2015 have big reveals on VR content?

Are you guys staying out of the PC market for now out of respect for Oculus and what they did to boost perception of VR?

How many Morpheus can be used at the same time? Only one I suppose. Or can there be 1 active + 1 miracasting?

Please give it proper support and marketing!

StuBurns

Banned
Okay, I want to reword my panel display question.

I want to know why LCD was chosen, and I want to know if a second OLED version would be considered.

I know what's going to happen, I'm going to spend £250, and the next year and OLED version is going to come out, and I'm going to be really pissed.

syko de4d

1. Will it get front cams for AR etc.?

2. Can i flip up the front to easily see the real life? It looks like it.

3. 2014 or 2015?

4. Android support?

5. Will there be ever a chance that i could use Oculus Rift on PS4?

guys, as far as specs are concerned, this is just a PROTOTYPE.

the FOV may be wider on the final build, the screen might be OLED instead, and the whole thing might even look different. the way they talked about the importance of response time and FPS etc. made it seem like they really understand what goes into a quality VR set and are going to work to hit those goals. i wouldn't worry too much.

price is still a concern, as is launch timeframe. i am personally not expecting anything sooner than summer 2015. as for price, i won't pay more than $350 for it.

EDIT: oh yes, my questions...

1. will the retail unit have a breakout box? or plug straight to PS4 via USB?
2. will the 3D audio tech be implemented in non-VR games too? or is it only to be used with VR stuff?
3. what's the target weight for the final retail headset?

DJ88

Get Hello Games working on supporting this with No Man's Sky and you'll sell millions of them.

Please make it easy for people to get out there and try this thing! It's something that can never be appreciated until you've actual tried it. I've been wanting to use a Rift forever but the only way is to actually spend the cash to get one. Get demos of this out there to as many people as possible.

TomShoe

Banned
Any ideas on the final name?

Why is it PS4 only?

Will they offer a bundle with the PS4 camera, and how much will it be?

I'm still lost on how you're supposed to put it on. Can you explain in greater detail?

Who's the lead designer? Based God Cerny, or someone else?

I want to know why LCD was chosen, and I want to know if a second OLED version would be considered.

I have a feeling that was for cost reasons and because the LCD is the leader in market-share currently. To be honest, the only notable console to use the OLED is the OG Vita, and even that's getting phased out in favor of the LCD Slim. LCDs are getting cheaper to make while OLEDs are staying the same, so I could see why Sony went that route. Just like the PS4 vs. XBO argument, price plays a big role in casual adoption.

Need to know how this is going to work with someone who wears glasses.

I am not kidding, this is absolutely a dealbreaker for me. Oculus came out in front and said they designed it to make sure it works comfortably if you have glasses on.

Freeman

Banned
Need to know how this is going to work with someone who wears glasses.

I am not kidding, this is absolutely a dealbreaker for me. Oculus came out in front and said they designed it to make sure it works comfortably if you have glasses on.
They answered that is going to work with glasses as well.

The number one thing is it has to work on PC. People will not want to buy 2 seperate headsets one for ps4 and one for PC. If the oculus will only work on PC but the Morpheus can work on both then it will automatically have the advantage and be the defacto VR machine for people who want to make VR games.

Liberty4all

Banned
how much cost?
will work on pc?
will other vr headsets work on ps4?
what are implications for broader ecosystem if each hardware provider develops incompatible vr headsets in addition to emerging pc options? will multi-platform owners really own multiple vr headsets despite essentially 90%+ overlapping technologies and product aims?

It's like you read my mind.

Basically what I'm wondering too.

Dragun619

Get THE LAST GUARDIAN on PS4 with Project Morpheus/VR support.

Connection to the animal/beast will be turned up to the max, hah.

Dire

I think marketing something like this is kind of a tough sell. What I mean is VR is something that is going to be a really tough sell until you actually try it. Like the person in this thread suggesting they'd want all their regular FPS in VR. That seems really reasonable until you actually get your head in a VR device and realize playing some sort of fast paced standard-fare FPS in VR would be a nightmare. VR will market itself once released. Most people, until they get a chance to try it or somebody close to them does so, are probably just going to view VR as something like more immersive 3D.

Anyhow, PC + SDK?

I am most worried about how comfortable it will be over long periods of time. I say this as someone who always had trouble with things on my head due to a condition I have.

Also, is the only reason that I would buy the Project Morpheus is because it only works with the PS4?

Also as asked before, what will it cost?

Hmmm I hadn't even thought of that angle. Geez even for watching regular blu ray's

Exactly.

I've done this using the Rift before as they're a couple of apps which do this. It's pretty awesome.

The main problem comes down to resolution. In the case of Blu-Ray's, you would be viewing 1080p content on a 1080p screen split between two eyes, so you inherently get lower detail than just watching it on your TV. However, the benefit of VR is that you could be watching a TV while sitting on the Moon or some shit, rather than on your 50" TV in your living room or whatever.

I was hoping for a bit higher res than 1080p tbh, but it's decent.

My other concern is if Sony will create new hardware revisions down the line? While Morpheus is decent specs for today, in 4 years, it will be inferior to newer versions of other headsets. Hopefully there is some sort of plan for this!

SirCrush

Is there a projected release window or even closed/open beta period for this headset? Earliest, most optimistic? Latest, most modest?

I know beta periods are generally a software thing but I figure with something as potentially revolutionary, perhaps a general public testing period is in order.

Liberty4all

Banned
Exactly.

I've done this using the Rift before as they're a couple of apps which do this. It's pretty awesome.

The main problem comes down to resolution. In the case of Blu-Ray's, you would be viewing 1080p content on a 1080p screen split between two eyes, so you inherently get lower detail than just watching it on your TV. However, the benefit of VR is that you could be watching a TV while sitting on the Moon or some shit, rather than on your 50" TV in your living room or whatever.

I was hoping for a bit higher res than 1080p tbh, but it's decent.

My other concern is if Sony will create new hardware revisions down the line? While Morpheus is decent specs for today, in 4 years, it will be inferior to newer versions of other headsets. Hopefully there is some sort of plan for this!

A question from one less technically inclined ... can the PS4 push the same image to more than one viewer? So if I'm playing a game, or watching a movie, does it tax the system harder to push the same image in VR to a second headset (ie. my wife).

The virtual tourism thing really got me hard ... as a married man I can totally see me and my wife vegging out all night visiting VR Paris or something like that.

Freeman

Banned
A question from one less technically inclined ... can the PS4 push the same image to more than one viewer? So if I'm playing a game, or watching a movie, does it tax the system harder to push the same image in VR to a second headset (ie. my wife).

The virtual tourism thing really got me hard ... as a married man I can totally see me and my wife vegging out all night visiting VR Paris or something like that.

Wouldn't work, it would have to render the image according to your head movement, so it would have to render everything again for a second view point.

If she was just watching the same image as you it would likely make her dizzy.

Liberty4all

Banned
Wouldn't work, it would have to render the image according to your head movement, so it would have to render everything again for a second view point.

If she was just watching the same image as you it would likely make her dizzy.

That's what I was thinking. Needs double the power with 2 viewers, so likely (this gen) it will be a solo affair.

$h@d0w

Can the headset be used for non-VR applications i.e. can it be used to play normal PS4 content?

Further to that, can it be used as a complete TV replacement, purely as a display like other Sony headsets.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
For me, it has to support every game on the console it's used. I'm not buying a fringe peripheral that only supports proprietary games or that doesn't support any FPS I may want to play on my platform of choice. It will be tough to justify my $ otherwise.

For me it has to;

-Be under US$400;
-Support the majority of releases on the console, if not all of them. 2D platformers and some indie games probably won't be able work with this sort of tech, I don't know;
-Not cause me to feel nauseated from prolonged use (1 hour or more);
-Be comfortable with glasses. Yes, we were told we can use it with glasses, but I can use 3D glasses with regular glasses and it's not comfortable;
-Be wireless;
-Have a battery life of at least 3 hours.

Make it easy to develop for. Help third party devs with it. Just make sure a LOT of games use it in meaningful ways.

Will I be able to watch non-VR content like movies and tv shows with it?

take as long as is needed, get "old" ps4 games to add support in post launch. ie KZ:SF.

will this double as a simple HDMI display? say hooking up PC,PS3,360 into it?

These are the things that are most important to me and obviously others. All these suggestions met would mean a very high chance of purchase.

Freeman

Banned
That's what I was thinking. Needs double the power with 2 viewers, so likely (this gen) it will be a solo affair.
Solo if you are looking from the outside, social from the inside. It actually gets a bit scary when you hear someone like Palmer Luckey talking about the VR possibilities for social interaction.

Even for next gen it would probably have the same limitations to render most things in more than one point of view, unless we get to a point where local processing power becomes irrelevant.

-Virtual World Tour and PlayStation Theme Park need to be made.

Zero gameplay. Glorified demos. 100% profit.

-Is it possible to make the device used in a manner that you dont need a TV at all?

Like the Wii U's off-screen play.

It doesn't have to function with tracking, you could just have a standard screen in your vision, but it'd be pretty awesome.

Liberty4all

Banned
Solo if you are looking from the outside, social from the inside.

One PS4 system needed per VR user. Makes sense but that will limit adoption in the sense that the experience can't be shared at a local level. With that said, VR "experiences" (visit mars, climb mount everast, etc) .... I can't help but think tha tthose type of experiences will sell units. Not to mention the idea of being able to share IMAX type experiences (one VR unit per person with one PS4 playing back a bluray) ... that is big feature to me.

Most if not all gaming accessories die off after a small handful of underwhelming titles due to the split user base, prohibitive added cost attributable to proprietary manufacturing, and a lack of killer-apps.

Whenever a new peripheral is added, there's the issue of haves and have-nots. The total addressable market for peripheral-required games will not be the full user base, limiting the appeal of publishing such content. Start out by making VR perspectives an optional extra that dramatically improves existing games. This is similar to DVD/Blu-ray combo packs that don't require extra hardware, but offer a low-resistance path to upgrading. That way, content can adapt gradually as market penetration increases. Interoperability with PC and other platforms would have the great benefit of expanding the base of customers who may adopt VR for content on those platforms and becoming potential PS4 VR consumers based on content. Incompatibility cuts off this natural market dynamic at the knees; people don't want to buy multiple devices to accomplish the same thing.

For a peripheral to have broad support and become an accepted standard that doesn't suffer the same fate, it needs to have an open standard that anyone can manufacture and compete on. Consortia like DVD and Blu-ray as well as technologies like SD cards and the entire PC market are excellent examples of this. Making a gaming peripheral exclusive to a single console means, again, that the audience for said device will be a fraction of a fraction of the market. Such examples have typically been DOA or quickly abandoned. Letting other manufacturers release the product will help with economies of scale and price competition, making purchases more appealing to customers. Nobody wants to buy proprietary memory sticks made by a single manufacturer; the price-gouging is ridiculous.

Content is king. Without the games to back up the purchase of a costly accessory, it's dead in the water. A small handful of games will never adequately persuade a market to adopt such a device. That's why it's important to open up development to as many developers as possible, irregardless of the actual content. Teaming up with NASA is a great first step. Other virtual tourism and film opportunities abound, including AO-rated content. The widest possible breadth of content will be the best factor to drive adoption and establish a market standard.

Basically, get as many people using the technology as possible, irregardless of platform, manufacturer, or content. Compete on hardware price to expand the market and reap the rewards on exclusive software content.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Watching movies like a sort of 'personal imax' would be very nice. I hope it's possible.

My big question is this: what game genres can this enhance?

You can't use it for a traditional fighting game.
Any kind of "third person" experience is out.
RPGs? That seems unlikely.
Etc.

It seems like it works for FPS games, but not much else. I would love a set of ideas to sell me on the notion. Right now it seems like motion controls - fruitless.

Jomjom

Banned
Please tell them to consider PC support. That would really appeal to the hardcore as hardcore gamers most likely have a PS4 and a high powered PC. I think that extra flexibility would entice a lot of people who are on the fence to pick it up, which in turn leads to a larger userbase and hopefully more dev support.

Top Bottom