• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Face-Off - Watch_Dogs

Vashetti

Banned
Booting up Watch Dogs on Xbox One directly after a PlayStation 4 play session is a surprisingly pleasant experience. 792p? Really? The introductory engine-driven cut-scenes - along with many other in-engine sequences - are a remarkably close match, not only with the PS4 version, but with the PC release running at full 1080p. Moving into gameplay, the difference becomes more evident, but one thing to make clear from the off is that the emphasis in Watch Dogs' presentation is on lighting and effects and how they interact with materials, and this kind of emphasis remains flattering despite the difference in resolution. Titanfall - another 792p title - didn't compare well to its higher-resolution equivalent, but Watch Dogs on Xbox One gets away with it.

If there's one word to sum up the advantage that PS4 Watch Dogs has over its Xbox One equivalent, it's refinement. Reduced aliasing here, less frequent screen-tear there - the impression you get is of a game that fundamentally offers the same package but feels a little more polished and solid on the Sony platform. Obviously, given the choice we'd take the extra refinement, but Xbox One owners can still buy Watch Dogs safe in the knowledge that Ubisoft Montreal's gameplay vision is delivered intact.

In truth, our overall conclusions on image quality haven't significantly changed since we posted our initial Watch Dogs performance analysis on Wednesday. The resolution difference between Xbox One, PS4 and our chosen PC setting (in this case, native 1080p) isn't really an issue during cut-scenes, but is more keenly felt during gameplay - especially on objects highlighted by the strobing white hacking overlay. Some HUD elements actually appear to be anti-aliased as part of the console post-process, so they can look a touch rougher on Xbox One, but this isn't really a massive issue.

Ambient occlusion is probably the next most noticeable difference, especially in the rather stark midday sunlit environments, where it comes into its own in adding depth to the scene. MHBAO is Ubisoft's in-house solution, described by Nvidia as a "half-resolution, console quality... technique" and seems to be in place on both PS4 and Xbox One, and it's also the standard solution for PC out of the box. However, the strength of the effect is significantly lowered on the Microsoft console, reducing the impact of the effect somewhat. PC owners get the real benefit with the inclusion of Nvidia's HBAO+, which luckily works on any graphics card. In its high setting, there's an almost night-and-day difference and we highly recommend enabling this. There is a GPU hit, but despite its Nvidia origins, it seems to be vendor-agnostic in terms of performance.

We've previously covered console performance and have little else to add - Watch Dogs is a pretty solid title on PS4, adopting a 30fps frame-rate cap and utilising adaptive v-sync when the engine fails to complete rendering the next frame in the allotted 33ms window. By and large, gameplay remains at the target frame-rate with few deviations beneath - the exception being packed scenes with lots of cars and explosions. Xbox One operates on much the same level - the difference being occasionally more noticeable screen-tear that occurs a little more frequently. Unlike the PS4 version, tearing can also infiltrate cut-scenes and general driving too, though it is rare.

Much more:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-watch-dogs-face-off

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Platform Screenshot Comparison:

jpg

jpg

jpg

Vashetti

Banned
People who like to use "lazy devs!" are going to have a field day with this one:

The overall perception we get here is that Ubisoft targeted its optimisation efforts for PS4, scaled back the engine proportionately for Xbox One and wasn't quite so focused on hitting that 30fps target there. The overall effect is of a title that has a reassuring level of solidity on PS4, and while still fine overall, just feels a little more wobbly on the Microsoft console.

TheContact

Those 3 pics literally go from worse to better in order

A good object to look at is the foam hand on the counter above his head

Some HUD elements actually appear to be anti-aliased as part of the console post-process, so they can look a touch rougher on Xbox One, but this isn't really a massive issue.
Didn't Xbox One allow developers to render HUD and other interface elements at full 1080p while rendering the game itself at lower resolutions (and merging both "layers" after game upscaling took place)? This was one of the very first features leaked about the console before its launch, maybe it wasn't right? Or maybe Ubisoft isn't using it.

Qassim

I've, for reasons unknown to me, been having a pretty good experience with the PC version on Ultra, Temporal SMAA, 1080p (780 SLI). I'm getting some stuttering (60->45 occasionally when driving) - but nowhere near to the extent most people are having.

I did have that awful stuttering when I first starting playing, I messed with various things and something happened and for whatever reason it has seemingly helped a lot. I get a well above 60fps average on foot (vsync disabled for benchmarking), and an average of about 50fps when driving (thanks to the dips to 40 or so bringing the average down).

The issues with the PC version are super confusing, many pointing towards VRAM, but at 1080p, Ultra everything, even TXAA 4x - I'm monitoring VRAM and it is not maxing the 3GB, ever.

Hopefully they can fix the PC version, because it has some cool options and people should make it look even prettier with some mods.

Chabbles

This game could of looked so much better with better texture filtering and better AA. The texture filtering in particular is shit. (PS4)

Interesting:
Watch Dogs' graphics technical director Sebastien Viard points to the lack of unified RAM as the main reason behind the difficulties.
He refers to the stutter on PC even with high end GPUs when using ultra textures.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
That caught my attention, too. Blaming Ubisoft when the hardware differences are significant and very well known by this point is silly.

The resolution disparity is to be expected, but the missing visual effects is rather surprising. Is SSAO a bandwidth hog?

StevieP

Banned
I like how it's always Xbox one quotes that are highlighted in the OP. What about comparing the ps4 and PC for example?

Joeki11a

Banned
This game could of looked so much better with better texture filtering and better AA. The texture filtering in particular is shit. (PS4)

What are you talking about?, this game at night during a rainy storm blows away Infamous second son floor textures.

Thing is this game has a very inconsistant engine, because play it at day time and I swear this looks like a early PS3 game.

Moral of the story, always play during Night time.

Blastoise

Banned
PS4 has the self-shadowing which makes it look instantly better than the xbone. Making it very easy to tell the screenshots apart.

RPGCrazied

I guess PS3/360 foundrys are over? A lot of people still are without the newer consoles. I found out the PS3 version is the worst one, so I'll be skipping that.

Yaoibot

The resolution difference kills the detail on backgrounds. Check out the guards faces near the elevators in the screenshots Niro posted. Its quite stark, and startling.

teiresias

Ambient Occlusion "significantly lowered" on XO? Judging by those screenshots it looks like it's completely absent. I mean, look at the counter directly behind the main character - particularly in the gif version just posted.

Still, that's an ugly screenshot on all platforms to be quite honest.

Curufinwe

That caught my attention, too. Blaming Ubisoft when the hardware differences are significant and very well known by this point is silly.

I made my own comment there, but this one from "BigHal" is better.

Eurogamer, how do you know Ubi optimised for PS4 over X1 and it wasn't simply down to hardware? It seems you are trying to reinforce this notion that if developed well on both platforms then there should be parity. Bollocks and you know it.

Yaoibot

People who like to use "lazy devs!" are going to have a field day with this one:

What an annoying comment (not yours, the one in the article). That's Ledbetter's perception. He is the "we". Its also quite absurd when we have two machines so similar and one has a substantially better GPU. I guess a SLI-TITAN that runs stuff better than a 550 we can clock up to bad drivers, or bad code. Ridiculous.

Kinthalis

Banned
The PC screen would look even better if they forced AF on the GPU control panel.

This is one of the big differences on PC, aside from native resolution and the possiiblity for better AA - textures with AF on don't start to look like puke from 2 feet away.

If you are running the PC version, for pity's sake, turn it on! You'll thank me later. And yes, this is yet another game that features no AF on consoles.... why??

Joeki11a

Banned
Ambient Occlusion "significantly lowered" on XO? Judging by those screenshots it looks like it's completely absent. I mean, look at the counter directly behind the main character - particularly in the gif version just posted.

Still, that's an ugly screenshot on all platforms to be quite honest.

I think they need to do off screen shots, take your phone out and show it that way. I done that and trust me this game looks wayyy better than that at night of course. I want to see them compared the game at its best time, that will show the difference.

Chabbles

What are you talking about?, this game at night during a rainy storm blows away Infamous second son floor textures.

Thing is this game has a very incosistant engine, because play it at day time and I swear this looks like a early PS3 game.

Moral of the story, always play during Night time.

Im talking about the filtering, its shit, just like it was in Infamous and alot of other PS4 games.

Surely theres a reason why 16x anisotropic filtering isnt been used, as its so cheap to use in PC gaming.
Anisotropic_filtering_en.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The PC screen would look even better if they forced AF on the GPU control panel.

This is one of the big differences on PC, aside from native resolution and the possiiblity for better AA - textures with AF on don't start to look like puke from 2 feet away.

If you are running the PC version, for pity's sake, turn it on! You'll thank me later. And yes, this is yet another game that features no AF on consoles.... why??
This is DF, you are asking far too much of them.

Kinthalis

Banned
I've, for reasons unknown to me, been having a pretty good experience with the PC version on Ultra, Temporal SMAA, 1080p (780 SLI). I'm getting some stuttering (60->45 occasionally when driving) - but nowhere near to the extent most people are having.

I did have that awful stuttering when I first starting playing, I messed with various things and something happened and for whatever reason it has seemingly helped a lot. I get a well above 60fps average on foot (vsync disabled for benchmarking), and an average of about 50fps when driving (thanks to the dips to 40 or so bringing the average down).

The issues with the PC version are super confusing, many pointing towards VRAM, but at 1080p, Ultra everything, even TXAA 4x - I'm monitoring VRAM and it is not maxing the 3GB, ever.

Hopefully they can fix the PC version, because it has some cool options and people should make it look even prettier with some mods.

The Vram measure you see coming out of PRecision X or afterburner is memory allocated. Not necessarily used. Not that it has anythign to do with the stuttering issues, but I kepe seeing people taking this number as gospel.

You're right though, this is purely an engine issue, probably wiht the way streaming is being handled. Hopefully Ubi will sort it out in time.

Top Bottom