• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth Import Impressions Thread of Doom

B08F26d.jpg

Come one! Come All! Welcome to the Persona Q import impressions thread!

Why does this exist, you ask? Because I wanted a place other than Tumblr and Twitter to talk about the game, discuss strategies, and in general spaz out! For those of you waiting on the western release, feel free to ask questions here and hopefully folks (myself included) will be able to answer!

Gonna lay down some rules/hopes first.

1. Please spoiler any... uh... spoilers properly. It'd help if you annotated how far in the game you are or whatever so that it'll be easier to know what to click/not click on.

2. No port begging, no coming in here to complain about this being on the 3DS. It's silly. We're all here to enjoy games right? Let's enjoy them!

I'll be picking up my copy from my local game shop in about three or so hours (going physical on this), but feel free to post pics of your grabs!

LEZ DOO THISSS.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Will get my copy in about 4 hours. Really hope I'll enjoy this one!

Hugstable

Banned

Enjoy! I'm very excited to hear the impressions about this game, like the whole EO dungeon exploring feel to the game. If it plays anything like EO4 with a coat of Persona goodness I'm sure it is gonna be just great.

damn, that's one emptyass map
Looks comparable to the first Maze in EOIV to me. But either way this is already more interesting than the entirety of P3/4 dungeons :lol:

Also they're never going to make the dungeons as complex as the Stratums in EOI/II/III, seeing as IV was already less complex than those (though it had the Caves to compensate for that) and this is still a Persona titled game, not an EO one.

ohlawd

Looks comparable to the first Maze in EOIV to me. But either way this is already more interesting than the entirety of P3/4 dungeons :lol:

naw I was just looking at the number of icons.

more icons = more stuff in the dungeon like traps, healing spots, whatever :3

That map looks tame. Does the boss get a floor to itself now? No more worrying about FOE's joining in? I'm sure it's just the first dungeon and they'll ramp up later on though.

Looking forward to hearing some impressions from importers.

Hugstable

Banned
I'm guessing this is the map of the first dungeon. Looks great already for a beginning dungeon. Does this have the automapping that EO:U had?

Sophia

I am happy with that map design after what P3 and P4 had, even if it's a downgrade from the mainline EO series. Thinking once the western release comes out I'm gonna play on Hard or Risky with automapping on.

yeah, its a clear downgrade from the etrian maps , specially etrian 4
What do you mean especially Etrian Odyssey IV? IV had arguably less complex maps than its predecessors. This map (which I'm assuming is from the first dungeon) is very comparable to the Lush Woodlands.

Oh icons. Well, maybe the person who drew it didn't bother with them. I remember when I first got into EO and realised how much better my mapping and annotation was towards the end than in the beginning, lol.

Kieli

Wait, how are those maps empty? If that's the first dungeon, it looks more complicated than the first dungeon of EO4.

ohlawd

That map looks tame. Does the boss get a floor to itself now? No more worrying about FOE's joining in? I'm sure it's just the first dungeon and they'll ramp up later on though.

I won't be able to take this game 100% seriously if we don't get at least one boss with incoming FOEs.

Oh icons. Well, maybe the person who drew it didn't bother with them. I remember when I first got into EO and realised how much better my mapping and annotation was towards the end than in the beginning, lol.

I can relate to that.

Honestly, those maps look fine if they are the first levels, I trust the EO team.

It would be awesome if they somehow got Furyhorn in the game, as he's been in every EO. :p

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hopefully mine arrives soon, but will be busy with stranger of sword city at the same time. D:

Im sure you will go sell it back to the store 4 hours after picking it up. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Picked up my copy on the way to work this morning. My train ride to the office is way too short, so I didn't get to play a ton, but I will say this: there's been nothing but dialogue so far (roughly 15-20 minutes of play). :p

I do like that you get to choose which game protagonist you follow. I picked the P3 protag because I find those characters far more interesting than P4's.

Also, looks like I got a clear file and a soundtrack for buying the game on Day 1. I'll have to rip the soundtrack to my itunes tonight.

Moonlight

Banned
Someone please tell me how the soundtrack is, and if possible, record some of it? It's honestly been one of the things I've been most looking forward to in PQ.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hopefully mine arrives soon, but will be busy with stranger of sword city at the same time. D:

Im sure you will go sell it back to the store 4 hours after picking it up. :D
I won't as long as it's not as bad as Natural Doctrine ;)

Parakeetman

I won't as long as it's not as bad as Natural Doctrine ;)

Or all the other games that you suddenly sold hopefully! :D

Picked up my copy on the way to work this morning. My train ride to the office is way too short, so I didn't get to play a ton, but I will say this: there's been nothing but dialogue so far (roughly 15-20 minutes of play). :p

I do like that you get to choose which game protagonist you follow. I picked the P3 protag because I find those characters far more interesting than P4's.

Also, looks like I got a clear file and a soundtrack for buying the game on Day 1. I'll have to rip the soundtrack to my itunes tonight.

Its always killer getting titles like these on the way to work then realizing that there will be more story bits in the way then actual train time to get to the game itself lol. Have had that happen quite a lot with the PSP / DS / 3DS days. D:

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Where is the game supposed to fall in the timeline? It seems obvious from the start of the P3 storyline that
there's some time travel involved
to make it possible for the two groups to work together.

Where is the game supposed to fall in the timeline? It seems obvious from the start of the P3 storyline that

I'm fairly sure it's non-canon, but the story seems to take place during the school festival from both games.

Bender: Doooooooooooomed!

XD

Really looking forward to the NA release, glad Atlus already confirmed it. Hope EU gets it, sorry you guys don't have much luck with Atlus there. :(

So what was this one track Koshiro composed? And I thought Shoji Meguro was the composer? At least Atsushi Kitajoh seemingly worked on P4, as well as other Atlus games.

P3 is in Tartarus in the day of their cancelled festival while P4 is enjoying their last day (even though they're the only ones in the school). Then they are taken to the Velvet Room for some reason and are transported to an unknown place who looks like the P4 school.

I'm fairly sure it's non-canon, but the story seems to take place during the school festival from both games.
The beginning of the game shows Makoto and Elizabeth in the Velvet Room after the game already happened. Elizabeth
tells you she thinks she had a "dream" were they meet the P4 crew but is not sure if its real or not. Then Yu says in Makoto's head "We''l sure meet once more time" or something like that.
So it's possibly canon.

Parakeetman

Im curious to see if the LE edition of the 3ds LL fetches a premium eventually. I canceled my order considering dont really have spare funds to keep around a unit as an investment, but still want to see how it does out there on the market. :D

Nachos

From what il I've seen, the icons are consolidated and expand to show more as you need them. I was worried at first, too.
Atsushi Kitajoh, actually. Koshiro did one track, though.
I'm not sure if they said it'll only be one track, but it's at least one, set to play during special occasions. If nothing wise, I hope Meguro incorporates FM synth into the music, on top of his usual instrument choices.

Top Bottom