• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers |OT| Left Behind With Damon Lindelof - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shame on whoever compared this to Newsroom. This show is so much better done than that tripe.

It's kind of a strange comparison to make, but both shows are undoubtedly among HBO's weakest drama offerings at the moment, so in that respect, they're comparable. (True Blood is clearly the worst, but The Newsroom and The Leftovers are both very weak shows.)

StuBurns

Banned
I didn't compare them because they're in any way similar, I compared them because they're poor echoes of their show runner's previous shows. They feel like HBO wanted The West Wing and Lost, so they just got those people to make similar shows, but they both completely fail to capture any of the excitement of those shows.

Newsroom is a little different as it's actually an amalgamation of all of Sorkin's shows, but it still feels like this derivative knock off.

hamchan

Catching up on this show and I'm liking it much more post-episode 3.

The first two episodes were really quite terrible. Some of the most confusing and messy episodes I'd ever seen on TV I reckon. Almost made me quit the show.
But episode 3 was legitimately a fantastic episode with its focus on one character and that heartbreaking ending. Episode 4 was fairly forgettable but I'm still on a high from ep 3 so i'll forgive it, and episode 5 felt like the plot is getting pushed more with the Guilty Remnant now being murdered.

So basically thanks Christopher Ecclestone for saving this show for me by being such a great actor and carrying that 3rd episode. Also might helped that I watched 3 eps at once, which let me quickly stop thinking about any bad parts of the show, rather than watching one a week which left me only burnt bagels to think about.

I think this tv serie is THE crap.
I really feel sorry for whoever at HBO gave the green light to the show, because they could lose their job for the mistake of trusting Damon Lindelof able to write something consistent and logical.
Nothing can be explained, and nothing, in fact, will be explained, following the writing tradition of the autor.
Let me recap half (FIVE EPISODES! UGH!!!) a season for you;
1st ep.: People disappear! A deer break in the house of police chief wasting furniture! A misterious dog killer! (What?! WHY?!)
2nd ep.: Dad's Chief is crazy! Sort of "magical negro" kisses dead people! Bagels disappear!
( A cult of huggers?! WHYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!)
3rd ep.: Mute smokers dispossess church (EHN?!), priest gambles based on the hunch of pigeons (????)
4th ep.: Confused half naked german attacks girl! The Cop' Son frees her painting a bullseye on her forehead! Also they steal a doll dressed like baby Jesus!! (Please Damon, shtap!)
5th ep.: Fat mute female nihilist smoker stoned by misterious people (who cares? they don't even try to investigate about her)! Fat mute female nihilist smoker leader now TALK! And she says nothing (what a surprise!!)! Police Chief can't find his shirts!!

Now tell me, what is this? How could a show run for five episodes based on those premises?

If it is the Rapture, the end of days is seven years after the ascension, so four seasons seems fitting.

Four seasons of this is enough to drive someone as mad as the Garvey's.

Also, would be a major kick in the balls if it was the Rapture and the show ends just as the good stuff is about to begin. The Rapture and everything that follows is some amazing fiction, it's more than a little annoying we still haven't had a proper live adaptation of it yet.

StuBurns

Banned
Four seasons of this is enough to drive someone as mad as the Garvey's.

Also, would be a major kick in the balls if it was the Rapture and the show ends just as the good stuff is about to begin. The Rapture and everything that follows is some amazing fiction, it's more than a little annoying we still haven't had a proper live adaptation of it yet.

I have hope for the future of the show. They need another showrunner going forward, maybe Cuse drops Bates Motel and comes on, and they need to fire the director, which is fine, TV directors and heads of production turn around frequently. HBO will give it a second season if they think it's salvageable, and it is.

I thought I was going to hate the show because it makes no sense, but I kind of like it. I liked the last episode and the one with the priest. At first I was frustrated by this show, but I've learned not to try to make sense of it and just let the show be. Kind of works, maybe sort of possibly.

DrBo42

I was hoping the Guilty Remnant would turn out to be interesting but they're just not. Final scene from the most recent episode has Lorie blowing her whistle in the most boring act of rebellion in fiction while a string section plays. The stone scene was absolutely brutal and difficult to watch but I'd rather sit through that for every single GR member than have this faux philosophical/intellectual stroke fest continue. Show is hot garbage.

I really hope the minister keeps camping out outside the GR's houses to preach to them. Its like the ultimate "fuck you guys."

I enjoy this show. The latest episode was really good.

hamchan

I really hope the minister keeps camping out outside the GR's houses to preach to them. Its like the ultimate "fuck you guys."

I hope so too, fuck those guys. Basically give them their a taste of their own harassment medicine.

NeoGiff

Just like the rest of the show, eh?

But seriously it was a completely repulsive scene that almost made me delete my season pass.

dead souls
(Yesterday, 09:40 PM)

Are you saying that the scene's existence made you cancel your subscription? Really?! Or am I just grossly misinterpreting?

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 6 "Guest"

Nora takes care of unfinished business in Mapleton before heading to New York for the Second Annual DROP (Departure Related Occupations and Practices) conference. Upset that her ID has been pinched, she scours the convention for her imposter while wearing a "Guest" badge, and ends up getting detoured by an amorous salesman, a bestselling author and a rogue attendee.

Frog-fu

Banned

This.

Fuck the GR. That stoning was disturbing, and nobody deserves to die like that, but you can't say they didn't put that on themselves. You can only push people so far before they push back.

Vert boil

Glad we're getting another standalone character ep tonight.

No Garveys pls.

leftovers4p9jes.gif

Garvey time == Aimee time!!

royalan

And now I'm mad. Because the most exciting soundbite from the preview for this episode apparently belonged to an absolutely pointless scene. She did that for what? So she could feel again or some shit? Nothing that happens ever seems to be grounded in anything.

~Kinggi~

Banned
And now I'm mad. Because the most exciting soundbite from the preview for this episode apparently belonged to an absolutely pointless scene. She did that for what? So she could feel again or some shit? Nothing that happens ever seems to be grounded in anything.

Dont worry, season 5 will explain everything.

royalan

And now we have MYSTERY QUESTIONS.

The question on the sheet was intentionally out-of-focus right? Or was that just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom