• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers |OT| Left Behind With Damon Lindelof - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Why have I watched every episode .... why do I keep watching future episodes.

What the fuck is the point of this show?

A cult of chain-smoking mimes, a cult headed by a guy that gives out magic creep-hugs, and the holy war they will wage against each other in season 5.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Im in the same boat you are. I cant stop watching.

They have talent everywhere it is just being endlessly strung along by the Lost formula.

This episode was a pretty good character story though. They have a lot of great actors.

I felt like episode 4 was pretty bad, but for the most part, rest have been alright. Liked today's as well. It's not a show where you can expect it to go anywhere though, it just kind of, is.

Macattk15

Im in the same boat you are. I cant stop watching.

They have talent everywhere it is just being endlessly strung along by the Lost formula.

This episode was a pretty good character story though. They have a lot of great actors.

I just read the wikipedia article on the book ...

I don't think I'm ever going to give a fuck about the show ... but I guess I'll watch more.

Least the wiki article on the book explained Holy Wayne and the asian girls significance to me .... don't read it unless you want all the spoilers.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
1) Nora is officially, undeniably the most interesting character.

2) Carrie Coon is an attractive lady.

I think for people asking where the show is going, the answer is that it isn't going anywhere, and that's intentional. The show is simply character stories in this setting it's laid down. So, that may not be the narrative design that's for you, or you may be okay with that but this show isn't executing on what it does well enough for you, but that's the design of it.

---------------------

Anywho, I thought tonight's episode was good, just like the episode that focused on Matt, it was interesting to see glimpses of Nora and then get an hour that completely focused on her. Carrie did a great job.

Yep.

The standalone character eps are leagues better than the rest of the show. This episode seals it. It works exceptionally well for the subject matter. If Lindelof and Perotta were smart, they'd switch entirely to this format in the second season.

The show is still a muddled mess, obviously, but this ep and the Matt ep have shown that it could potentially work if they're willing to retool the format for S2.

KingKong

I wanna know more about this guy, whats his deal

kXBQa1W.png

KingKong

And now we have MYSTERY QUESTIONS.

The question on the sheet was intentionally out-of-focus right? Or was that just me?

It was "In your opinion, do you believe _____ is in a better place?", it was in the final scnee. They definitely covered it up at the beginning though. It was a little much, the whole thing about her pain being taken away and now people answer no to that but whatever. I liked the episode overall

royalan

It was "In your opinion, do you believe _____ is in a better place?", it was in the final scnee. They definitely covered it up at the beginning though. It was a little much, the whole thing about her pain being taken away and now people answer no to that but whatever. I liked the episode overall

No, I got it by the final scene. More than a bit heavy-handed, but that's usually par for the course with this show when it arrives at a point.

KingKong

No, I got it by the final scene. More than a bit heavy-handed, but that's usually par for the course with this show when it arrives at a point.

Definitely, thats my problem with the show too, it just tries so hard to be meaningful. The scene between her and Wayne was actually pretty good but then they have to go and be clever with the ending

Sober

Great episode. Loved the laser focus again. Obviously if they want to keep going I'd like to see more of this, even if it's only peppered throughout or they break POV for a bit.

Also you can call me a fucking shill if you want but I love that piano piece.

Some people want to feel again. This episode explained her mystery. Nothing truly nefarious on her part, just a normal lady that was dealt a bad hand and over the course of this episode came to terms with it and can finally move one. And that's totally fine my me.

Carrie Coon is a new actress to me. Her first appearance on the show made her look sort of like Vera Farmiga. They're quite similar to me me. She was awesome tonight and proved herself to be capable of carrying a an episode completely centered around her.

Brakke

Banned
Lol. This fucking show and it's intros. Lindeloff just had a binder of Fucked Up Microfiction he wanted to out on film huh.

Carrie Koons is going to be a big hollywood actress. She was quite riveting in this episode. Just amazing all around.

Yeah, she's super great.

The episodes focusing on Matt and Nora have easily been the best of the season so far. Terrific performances by Christopher Eccleston and Carrie Coon.

Don't really like depression in my fiction without something in return. I have enough issues in my life, I don't need to "escape" to a world of nothing but despair.

If there's some payoff in the later episodes or seasons, I'll consider jumping in.

.Good ep. Show works so much better when it's less on mystery, more on personal pieces. Lindork just needs to exercise some restraint with his dumb mysteries.

Vert boil

\m/ Nora, Metal as fuck \m/

On the plus side, happy Nora is going to sex Garvey.
On the negative side, depressed Nora was the best thing about the show.

Carrie Koons is going to be a big hollywood actress.

leftovers37ajpq.gif

Yep, she's going to be big in fantasy hollywood where ability equals success.

DrBo42

By far the best episode, that was what this entire show should be. Seeing a glimpse of its potential and then going back to Guilty Remnant or mysterious deer next week is going to be infuriating.

Man I love this show, I've loved pretty much all the episodes so far except maybe the priest's... And oh wow that Sistine Chapel inspired credit sequence gives me chills every time, so good.

BrokenBox

Really excellent episode. I've really been enjoying the series. I know a lot of people are going to say they should only/primarily do focused episodes, but I think mixing it up with one every once in awhile will be better in the long run depending on how many seasons the show will be on. They don't need to do focused episodes just because it's an established formula for the show (which it isn't yet).

Never forget Kate episodes.
.. in later seasons.

Really enjoyed last night's episode. Thought it was the best of the season so far.

I've found that this show gives me really fucked up dreams. This marks the third week in a row where I've had horrifying dreams the night after watching. Last week it was that my family was murdered. Last night it was a complete and utter belief that paranormal spirits were haunting me (I don't really believe in this stuff but in the dream I was convinced it was happening to me). I think I'm thinking about death too much.

Vert boil

Well, she's attractive enough, so she still got a chance, right ?

It would be nice if it would happen but there's a world of difference between having a solid career with a few "in A Supporting Role" noms and big in hollywood.

It's easy to get a little gross about it but she doesn't offer anything that a thousand other actors don't also offer.

By far the best episode, that was what this entire show should be. Seeing a glimpse of its potential and then going back to Guilty Remnant or mysterious deer next week is going to be infuriating.

Totally agree. It perfectly and organically integrated all of its weird stuff in service to a single well developed charac and their story.

ReAxion

Gee, people connect with the drama of character and story instead of just a goddamn mysterious mystery. Imagine the fuck out of that, Lindelof.

Really excellent episode. I've really been enjoying the series. I know a lot of people are going to say they should only/primarily do focused episodes, but I think mixing it up with one every once in awhile will be better in the long run depending on how many seasons the show will be on. They don't need to do focused episodes just because it's an established formula for the show (which it isn't yet).

Never forget Kate episodes.
.. in later seasons.

I think character-focused episodes like the Rev. Matt and Nora episodes would work perfectly fine full-time for this show because the overall plot doesn't demand an awful lot of forward momentum. I also think cutting down to 6-8 episodes in the next season would help.

It's a slow, meditative show about how humans deal with inexplicable loss - or at least that's what it should be. The dumb mysteries (Kevin's disappearing shirts, the stolen baby Jesus) are clunky and completely unnecessary.

Ashok

Banned
Mostly watching it for the Max Richter music. For a 10 episode series, I feel like almost nothing is happening story-wise. Really wish there was a tighter narrative with a strong mystery arc.

Mostly watching it for the Max Richter music. For a 10 episode series, I feel like almost nothing is happening story-wise. Really wish there was a tighter narrative with a strong mystery arc.
The music is about the only thing I like about it. And the solo episodes, but only a tiny bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom