• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces biggest ever job cuts, 18,000 in the next year (12,500 Nokia)

itsgreen

Microsoft is announcing its biggest ever job cuts today, affecting 18,000 employees. In a memo, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella says the company will cut 18,000 positions in the next year, with former Nokia employees expected to account for around 12,500 jobs.

The cuts follow a recent memo from Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, outlining a big shakeup for the software maker and plans to reshape the core of what Microsoft is. Nadella also dropped the devices and services moniker, opting for a focus on cloud and mobile for the future of Microsoft. In an interview with The Verge, Nadella talked about a need to increase Microsoft’s tablet share, and he also explained why he believes Google and Apple haven’t won’t yet. “I absolutely believe that in a world where there are going to be many screen sizes, and ecosystems across all of those screen sizes, and cloud services that'll be available on all ecosystems, that's what Microsoft's future is.”

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/17/5911785/microsoft-job-cuts-2014

All according to keikaku.

64nokia-chief-executive-stephen-elop-speaks-during-a-nokia-event-in-lond.jpeg

The fact that this fuckbag was ever allowed to join Nokia in the most blatant corporate takeover in the history of capitalism is still stupefying.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
This was more or less expected.
MS got a bit bloated after the Nokia purchase..

Always hard to do this kind of things though but everybody saw it coming.

Sendou

When Microsoft bought Nokia about 32,000 people moved from Nokia to Microsoft. Now they are cutting 12,500 of them. That's huge.

zhao3gold

Banned
Might be off topic, but curious to know how many job cuts in recent years from Sony & Nintendo?

It is sad to see people lose their job...

And feel more sorry to former Nokia employees...

BibiMaghoo

Good luck to them all, being made redundant is the worst thing in the world, fucks your life up so much, and puts any plans you may have had on the back burner. I hope they land something good.

Might be off topic, but curious to know how many job cuts in recent years from Sony & Nintendo?

Microsoft has done 3 big acquisitions in the last year, one of them being a HUGE multinational company (Nokia). It was obvious they couldn't keep everyone.

It's not comparable because Sony and Microsoft are not strictly gaming companies

zhao3gold

Banned
How many NOKIA employees total joined MS and how many of them are jobless now? I support MS to reshape their focus for a better future, but sad to see such many people lose their jobs...

timlot

Banned
Microsoft does have about 130,000 employees world wide. Seems like a lot for company that's not a major retailer or manufacture.

epmode

All according to keikaku.

64nokia-chief-executive-stephen-elop-speaks-during-a-nokia-event-in-lond.jpeg

The fact that this fuckbag was ever allowed to join Nokia in the most blatant corporate takeover in the history of capitalism is still stupefying.

I have an idea about what happened here but it would be nice to explain so people who don't follow MS understand the issue.

Qassim

Hot diggity damn, wasn't the rumour about 12k at most? Whoa. Best of luck to those 18k people.

It seems like it's about 12k are ex-Nokia, so that is perhaps where those rumours came from.

5 or 6k regular Microsoft is employees is still a lot, which may also make it their largest batch of jobs cuts ever even without the ex-Nokia guys.

Rich!

Nintendo, if I remember correctly, pretty much fire nobody. I can't remember the last time they cut jobs.

Mael

I have an idea about what happened here but it would be nice to explain so people who don't follow MS understand the issue.

Ex MSFT guy gets to be CEO at Nokia, tanks Nokia. Comes back at MSFT after Nokia is bought for peanut.
18k people losing their jobs.

Dipshit McGoo, a.k.a. Stephen Elop leaves Microsoft to become CEO of Nokia. Commits Nokia to make phones only with MS's OS, destroys Nokia.

Several months later, MS conveniently buys Nokia.

Top Bottom