• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces biggest ever job cuts, 18,000 in the next year (12,500 Nokia)

" its a business " is probably the worst reason ever for kicking someone onto the street. Especially when your business is highly profitable and healthy.

Yeh if you actually losing money each quarter or year, or ever .. in MS's case, it would make sense. But when your highly profitable. No reason anyone should have to be kicked to the curb just to pad your bottom line.

Ha... Im sure the view up there on your moral high horse is nice but a business doesn't keep assets that are no longer useful. The people being cut are not profitable for the company. A decent analogy would be a car manufacture continuing to put cassette tape readers in there car this year. The company is still going to make money off the sale of the car but the cassette player costs them money to put in each car and customers don't care about it/ may even actively dislike it.

Its unfortunate that people are losing their jobs sure, but expecting a company to keep a non profitable branch of people is a bit absurd.

Ha... Im sure the view up there on your moral high horse is nice but a business doesn't keep assets that are no longer useful. The people being cut are not profitable for the company. A decent analogy would be a car manufacture continuing to put cassette tape readers in there car this year. The company is still going to make money off the sale of the car but the cassette player costs them money to put in each car and customers don't care about it/ may even actively dislike it.

Its unfortunate that people are losing their jobs sure, but expecting a company to keep a non profitable branch of people is a bit absurd.

That's a terrible analogy and I hope you know it. Cassette decks are not people.

jcm

Corporations exists to produce wealth for their shareholders... exactly why the state and the public must stay vigilant and not drop their pants everytime a corporation threatens ill news everytime they do not get exactly what they want.
Only what affects profits positively or negatively in a direct or indirect way is to be considered worthy of attention. Hiring people, firing people, buying or selling technologies, patenting or open sourcing components, etc... must provide the highest possible R.O.I. and that's ok. That is why we have external checks and balances and we do not trust corporations to be 100% self regulated...

That's not some kind of law you know. I know we've all been trained by Gordon Gekko, Jack Welch and CNBC to worship profits above all else, but corporations are free to behave as they see fit.

Rixa

My brother-in-law used to work for Nokia there before, he left ages ago saw the changing winds when the first iPhone was released and jumped ship fast. Wonder what he thinks of this.

Finnish broadcasting company YLE informs in their news: Yle.fi news

Yle.fi said:
Software company Microsoft has announced the biggest round of lay-offs in the company’s history. The firm will reduce its workforce by 18,000, and 12,500 of those will be workers transferred when Microsoft bought the Finnish company Nokia. Just under 5,000 Microsoft workers are currently located in Finland, with some 1,100 expected to be retrenched.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Nothing. Just that the future is in cloud and mobile irrelevant of the Company. Microsoft's competitors are Apple and Google and not Sony. Anything that changes with the Xbox One will be the result of that vision.
Actually, everything that has changed with Xbox lately has been a direct result of what Sony was doing against them, and had nothing to do with Apple/Google which you could say were the source of inspiration for the original XB1 vision that completely backfired. They very much follow/snipe at each other on the gaming front. It seems to still be somewhat an insular group in the company and I too doubt it will be affected by these layoffs much.

They NEED a bigger piece of the tablet pie. Yeah. Right.

Why does every company have to a piece of every pie that ever exists? Microsoft should probably feel okay about not owning the tablet space. They're already behind the eight ball in a big way.

Give up the ghost and move on.

Interfectum

That's not some kind of law you know. I know we've all been trained by Gordon Gekko, Jack Welch and CNBC to worship profits above all else, but corporations are free to behave as they see fit.

We've been trained since birth to value money as capital above all else. We cheer when movies make record profits or our favorite company has billions of dollars in the bank. Depressing times we live in for sure.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Holy shit. That's a massive amount of people. That's more than 10% of Microsoft. I wonder what's going down. This is a big deal.

zsidane

All according to keikaku.

64nokia-chief-executive-stephen-elop-speaks-during-a-nokia-event-in-lond.jpeg

The fact that this fuckbag was ever allowed to join Nokia in the most blatant corporate takeover in the history of capitalism is still stupefying.

I seriously think that the FBI (or any other entity who's job is to stop criminal operations like this) should investigate this because not only it's so fucking ridiculuos, but also because it was obivious that he was on a mission when he joined Nokia as a CEO to make the company dissapear under MSFT umbrella.

• Going with Windows Mobile OS was dumb, and not the best decision to make, and not even in the interest of Nokia.
  • Sure they got a big shunk of money, but it was a short term move that predicted nokia's death.
  • Killing Simbian so early and the way the did (announcing that the plateform is like irrelevant years before the "planned" end of support) can't be made by someone at that level of an organisation as big as Nokia who should have some notions from economics 101
  • Guy drags down the value of the company with all above mentioned decisions, sells it to his former employer, gets an $18M bonus and joins back his former employer, the same who bought Nokia

This right here is corporate buzzword double-speak bollocks of the worst kind. I was kind of interested to learn more about Nadella before he took the role. Now it just sounds like he's the same corporate overlord, spouting the same meaningless corporate platitudes as Microsoft has had before.

If you're going to lay off people, just be honest about it. This pseudo-intellectual corporate philosophical psychobabble is just painful to read, and I'm not even one of the people being laid off.

down 2 orth

More consolidation in industries that access our personal information. We're going to be telling our grandchildren some day that we all used to live in democracies.

Maybe it's a bit premature but Microsoft should definitely see Amazon as a serious competitor aswell.

I think that if MS wants to focus on mobile and tablet they should scrap the whole Metro UI. Even if it's good, people see it as bad. I sell computers for a living. Most casuals still ask for Windows 7 and dont want that 'squary tiles Ui' cause they heard its bad. And they just dont find ot sexy. MS should just fucking scrap that design instead of putting it on everything (even XBOne i think sold less because people see the tiles on it). People just dońt like it and paying so much trainers and sellers will cost more than remake that UI from the ground up... I think...

watership

The fact that this fuckbag was ever allowed to join Nokia in the most blatant corporate takeover in the history of capitalism is still stupefying.

Disagree on this. Elop was picked by the board of directors at Nokia. And I honestly believe that if MS didn't keep Nokia afloat, and force them to get rid of Symbian, the layoffs at Nokia would have been far far greater.

nib95

Banned
If I'm reading the email and other titbits right, does that mean half of all the employee's they acquired through Nokia are getting the axe? Wow. That is awful.

In any case, major restructure for Microsoft either way. I feel bad for those that will or are losing their jobs.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Corporations do not have a responsibility to keep people they have little to no use for, they do have a responsibility to aid their laid off employees land on their feet which is what they and most companies actually do.

Corporations have a responsibility on providing a return on the money people invest in it, which is absolutely fair.

Fair is what is written in the laws, so yes it is completely fair. I did not say that it is wrong of them to operate only in terms of profits == good and losses == bad and have no morality that does not conform to those two principles. We can then split hairs on short term vs long term profitability, but it does not change things much.

We, citizens, politicians, the general public have other responsibilities and whether they align with what corporations feel like doing or not is not in and of itself the end of the story.
Corporations might exist only to care about profits and it is fine, the state/general public should hold on dearly to a properly functioning civil law system, punitive damages, ,smashing trusts and cartels, and to wielding incentives, tax breaks, and regulations as a carrot and stick system to help protect the public's best interests. Strong corporations and strong consumer protection laws :).

Goldmund

You mean, thanks to this news... you know, shareholders are always happier when CEOs announce job cuts...
You can't blame shareholders for thinking profit is the result of fewer workers needlessly taking away a company's money, after all, their wealth likely bears no relation to labor.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Run-M-Run

I seriously think that the FBI (or any other entity who's job is to stop criminal operations like this) should investigate this because not only it's so fucking ridiculuos, but also because it was obivious that he was on a mission when he joined Nokia as a CEO to make the company dissapear under MSFT umbrella.

• Going with Windows Mobile OS was dumb, and not the best decision to make, and not even in the interest of Nokia.
  • Sure they got a big shunk of money, but it was a short term move that predicted nokia's death.
  • Killing Simbian so early and the way the did (announcing that the plateform is like irrelevant years before the "planned" end of support) can't be made by someone at that level of an organisation as big as Nokia who should have some notions from economics 101
  • Guy drags down the value of the company with all above mentioned decisions, sells it to his former employer, gets an $18M bonus and joins back his former employer, the same who bought Nokia

This. Guy is a criminal in my books.

jcm

This right here is corporate buzzword double-speak bollocks of the worst kind. I was kind of interested to learn more about Nadella before he took the role. Now it just sounds like he's the same corporate overlord, spouting the same meaningless corporate platitudes as Microsoft has had before.

If you're going to lay off people, just be honest about it. This pseudo-intellectual corporate philosophical psychobabble is just painful to read, and I'm not even one of the people being laid off.

Agreed. I understand the need to make tough decisions, but try your best to sound like a human being when you do it. This letter and the strategy letter both sound like they were written by a robot who's two classes into an MBA. "I synthesized our strategic direction" indeed.

DC1

Because those 6000 have likely been replaced by more qualified Nokia staff
Not always the case man.
Compensation, time and political association all play a part.

I wish that it was always best (truly) best person for the job.

Human prespective lends to misjudgments.

KingFire

Banned

He is the CEO, of course he will speak like a suit.

His overall strategy makes sense according to that memo, and if implemented, MS can make significant improvements.

Azzurri

I wonder what payroll is like there. I cry when I see my payroll sometimes. And those payroll taxes must be in the 100 of millions.

Top Bottom