• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JapanAge: Need some tips on getting from Narita to Shibuya

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparisi2274

Hey All,

Need some assistance with an upcoming trip to Tokyo...

The last time I was in Japan, I took this bus from the airport to my hotel:

index_ph001.jpg

And it took about 70-75min to get to the Shibuya Excel Hotel.

Tonight, I was looking at some other options, and would love some input...

I saw a service from the JR company, called N'EX? Narita Express? Seems to go to Shibuya from Narita.

Also, I saw something called Skyliner? But I do not know much about it.

Lastly, is it worthy for me to get a Suica card? I really plan on only using the Yamanote line, with side trips to TGS and possibly Disney.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Giolon

Narita Express is what you want. I took it last time and it was great.

Suica is worth it as it makes getting on subways or trains just that much quicker. No stopping to count out change or look at fares. IIRC, it only requires a 500 yen deposit which you can get back by turning your card back in to a Suica machine.

Some vending machines take Suica too.

Akira

I remember there was also a Keisei line that go from Narita to downtown Tokyo. Will drop you off at Keisei Ueno where you can get on the Tokyo Metro nearby to go to Shibuya.

i prefer the keisei skyliner to NEX because it's faster for where i live, but NEX makes more sense for tourists if you get the suica too. just keep the card topped up and you'll never have to worry about finding the exact fare etc.

aparisi2274

So, if I were to take the N'EX, is it easy to traverse if my level of Japanese is beginner? Just want to make sure I can communicate clearly with the ticket people (if there any) and make sure I get on the correct N'EX train.

TDLink

Use the Keisei skyliner. It's cheaper than the Narita Express. You can use it to get to the Yamanote line and then transfer and take that to Shibuya.

EDIT: And Yes, absolutely get a Pasmo/Suica card. You swipe them for every train in Tokyo, including Yamanote. You can put the machines on English to recharge, you don't want to have to buy a solo ticket every time. You will use the trains a ton in Tokyo.

Bullza2o

When I visited two years ago I took the Skyliner. Iirc I bought a package that included day passes or something. Also bought a pasmo card, which is like Suica. Have fun!

Juice

I would still recommend N'EX. Why not get a JR Rail Pass for your trip? N'EX is included on it. You just have to stop at the JR ticket office and claim your pass with your voucher and then reserve a NEX seat

franzer

Can speak for NEX as well. I travel to Japan 2-3 times a year for work, and my office is in Shibuya. Just hop on the train and chill out and check out the countryside on the way. Takes about 1.5 hours to get there.

aparisi2274

I would still recommend N'EX. Why not get a JR Rail Pass for your trip? N'EX is included on it. You just have to stop at the JR ticket office and claim your pass with your voucher and then reserve a NEX seat

Can speak for NEX as well. I travel to Japan 2-3 times a year for work, and my office is in Shibuya. Just hop on the train and chill out and check out the countryside on the way. Takes about 1.5 hours to get there.

Do I need to board a specific N'EX train to get to Shibuya? Or is there only one train to board?

tokkun

So, if I were to take the N'EX, is it easy to traverse if my level of Japanese is beginner? Just want to make sure I can communicate clearly with the ticket people (if there any) and make sure I get on the correct N'EX train.

It is pretty easy to get around Tokyo on trains without Japanese. The stop names are announced in English, and you can buy your tickets from an automated teller with an English option. All the stations have English signs to help you get to the right platform.

It can be a little overwhelming at first if you are at a busy station and trying to figure out where to go to buy the ticket, how to calculate the fare, and how to use the ticket-taking machine, but once you have done it the first time it is dead simple after that.

Do I need to board a specific N'EX train to get to Shibuya? Or is there only one train to board?

You need to board a specific train. They don't all go to Shibuya.

A JR Pass does not make sense for someone staying in Tokyo. Unless you are taking multiple Shinkansen trips, you will lose money. You can buy an unlimited day pass in the metro area for $7.50.

CHusson91

Banned
Narita Express is definitely the easiest. I live in Tokyo, so feel free to PM me if you have questions when you get here.

imek

If you are getting the N'EX / trains in general with a lot of luggage in Shibuya, be warned there is no easy way to get around the station without having to do some lifting across stairs. Had this problem when were leaving from Shibuya with a few suitcases this year, ended up taking the limousine bus to the airport.

You'll need to check which stations the train does go to, as not all N'EX go to Shibuya.

aparisi2274

I was in Tokyo back in 2005. I had no problems getting around via the Yamanote line and I was even able to get over to Disney. My main concern for this trip is getting from airport to hotel IN Shibuya.

CHusson91

Banned
I was in Tokyo back in 2005. I had no problems getting around via the Yamanote line and I was even able to get over to Disney. My main concern for this trip is getting from airport to hotel IN Shibuya.

Shibuya Excel Hotel is right near Shibuya Station, so you'll have no problems just taking Narita Express.

bomma_man

I've just come back from there, and yes, I got by for two weeks with hello, thank you and excuse me. There's always someone at the ticket office that can speak (basic) english, and all the ticket machines have an english option. It really is pretty easy.

You can easily get the N'ex to Shinjuku for 1500y (although it's 3000y on the way back), then get the metro a couple of stops to Shibuya.

GorillaJu

Cheapest option:

Airport -> Nippori (Keisei Skyliner)
transfer to Yamanote line
Nippori -> Shibuya (Yamanote)
Total 2,670 yen, 1h 14m travel time

Simplest option:

Airport -> Shibuya (Narita Express [to Ikebukuro]
Total, 3,390 yen, 1h 15m travel time

CHusson91

Banned
I've just come back from there, and yes, I got by for two weeks with hello, thank you and excuse me. There's always someone at the ticket office that can speak (basic) english, and all the ticket machines have an english option. It really is pretty easy.

You can easily get the N'ex to Shinjuku for 1500y (although it's 3000y on the way back), then get the metro a couple of stops to Shibuya.

This doesn't really make sense though. Shibuya is before Shinjuku on the Narita Express Line. Just get off at Shibuya Station and walk to the hotel from there.

xfinqdY.jpg

Jubern

Cheapest option:

Airport -> Nippori (Keisei Skyliner)
transfer to Yamanote line
Nippori -> Shibuya (Yamanote)
Total 2,670 yen, 1h 14m travel time

Simplest option:

Airport -> Shibuya (Narita Express [to Ikebukuro]
Total, 3,390 yen, 1h 15m travel time

And we're done, there really isn't more to it in your precise case. Time is the same so it boils down to whether you seek something convenient or want to save a few bucks.

And yes, buy a Suica or Pasmo. Don't buy a JR Railpass unless you plan on going far out of Tokyo.

Dali

I took a train from Narita to the end of the line (think it may have been asakusa). From there just rode whatever from that station until it circled around to shibuya.

Replicant

Just take Narita Express. It's less troublesome than other form of transport. I once traveled using normal train from Narita while carrying my backpack. NEVER AGAIN! It's a nightmare trying to get out of the train during busy hours with my backpack on.

Just take Narita Express. It's less troublesome than other form of transport. I once traveled using normal train from Narita while carrying my backpack. NEVER AGAIN! It's a nightmare trying to get out of the train during busy hours with my backpack on.

I've taken the Keisei Limited Express back from Tokyo (Nippori) to Narita and it was fine both times.

Dude take the NEX. It's 1200 yen. Cheapest by far.

1500. Cheapest for the faster options.

BigDug13

Will you still have a smart phone or iPod touch with you even if you won't be on a cell network? There's an offline app called "trains.jp" that worked well in a pinch when I didn't have cell signal back early on when I lived there. Really helps you get around.

For times when you do have Internet access, use this:

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

aparisi2274

Will you still have a smart phone or iPod touch with you even if you won't be on a cell network? There's an offline app called "trains.jp" that worked well in a pinch when I didn't have cell signal back early on when I lived there. Really helps you get around.

For times when you do have Internet access, use this:

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

I downloaded that app, trains.jp, have yet to look at it.

I also plan on seeing what my options are with turning on International plan for while I am in Tokyo.

Yeah, no contest, Tokyo station, Shinjuku - NEX for sure. Bus is fun once though.

I took the bus in 2005, it was ok.

See, reading everyone's N'EX posts is confusing me... when I look at their site, they show a route map that clearly says the N'EX stops at Shibuya...

14763313103_d5895a67a2_b.jpg

So, I just want to make sure I understand how to get the N'EX that stops there, because on the route map, it also looks as if there is a train that will go straight toward Yokohama.

Do get a Suica/Pasmo card.

Do NOT get a JR Rail Pass if you're just staying in Tokyo.

Why do you say to NOT get a Suica card? I plan on using the Yamanote line a lot to get around and last time I was there, it was a pain to stop at the ticket machines and wait to get a ticket.

Majine

Banned
I got fined on the Keisei train because it was the wrong-ish train (from my ticket). It wasn't the Morningliner, it was something else, I don't remember.

tokkun

So, I just want to make sure I understand how to get the N'EX that stops there, because on the route map, it also looks as if there is a train that will go straight toward Yokohama.

It is pretty much like taking any other train. When you buy a ticket, it will list the destination and stops. Get one on a train going to Shibuya. The time and platform number will be printed on the ticket, and there will be electronic signs on the platform. If you are still confused, go to the JR office and ask a person.

If you could handle traveling on the Yamanote line before, you had to do all this already.

aparisi2274

It is pretty much like taking any other train. When you buy a ticket, it will list the destination and stops. Get one on a train going to Shibuya. The time and platform number will be printed on the ticket, and there will be electronic signs on the platform. If you are still confused, go to the JR office and ask a person.

If you could handle traveling on the Yamanote line before, you had to do all this already.

That makes sense... I just didn't know if there was one train that leaves Narita every so often that makes all these stops, or if there were multiple trains that go different routes based on the map I posted earlier.

So, basically, after I get off my flight, I head down to either the Travel Service Center or to a ticketing machines at the Narita station and buy a ticket on the N'EX and get on the one that is going to Shibuya?

If both the NEX and the Skyliner are similar I would go with the coolest looking one.

Face off time;

D0gKa52.jpg
7MrKRPY.jpg

I remember from my trip to Japan, (on a different route) regretting not taking the awesome 500 series (now withdrawn).

It was more expensive and not really the most practical choice, but Japanese trains are the best and the 500 was amazing. I have to make do with a N scale model. :(

<3 S500
0LfaYOH.jpg

Honestly you had it right the first time. Limousine buses are the easiest way to travel to and from the airport. Of course it's possible to lug your suitcases through multiple train stations and transfers, but the bus is a lot less hassle. You can even get dropped off right at your hotel if you're staying at one of the big ones. The only problem is when you get caught up in traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom