• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCWorld previews Alien: Isolation, frustration permeates; PS4 vs PC video from CVG

Alien: Isolation is better than Aliens: Colonial Marines. Let's get that out of the way. There's been all sorts of talk from people saying, "I don't want to play Isolation because Colonial Marines was garbage." That's silly.

Sega's talking this up as a horror game, but it doesn't feel particularly scary to me. It's really hard to feel afraid of something you've experienced a dozen times over.

Instead the Alien seems consistently unfair, sticking unconscionably close to the player even in wide-open levels, as if it "knows" you're in that area. Even if it's never seen you there. Even if it shouldn't know you're there.

That's cheap. It's an artificial constraint on player creativity, as if to make sure they can't really get away from the Alien.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2464...space-no-one-can-hear-you-get-frustrated.html

PS4 vs PC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2n6ye1Gvqc

Jettison Into space if old

Wow when that door opened at the start it made me feel embarrassed for the PS4 version. Still looks good enough but geez. I mean surely the PS4 can do that?

Syf

Banned
Instead the Alien seems consistently unfair, sticking unconscionably close to the player even in wide-open levels, as if it "knows" you're in that area. Even if it's never seen you there. Even if it shouldn't know you're there.

I really hope this isn't as bad as it sounds. Not much reward for being stealthy if the alien knows you're there anyway.

R_Deckard

What is up with the ps4 video, zoomed in with a lower quality capture and contrast all out!??

No point in doing a comparison if the basics are not in place.

Day one for me, pre-order bonus is well worth it.

Superflat

There seems to be more video artifacting/blurriness on the PS4 side of the video for some reason. Unless the PC version is running at higher than 1080, the sharpness should be pretty much identical; but it's not. There's also a big contrast difference, and I don't know if it's the system doing that or the television it's on.

The cutscenes on the other hand look identical.

As far as gameplay impressions, I hope it's not indicative of the final retail product. I've been really looking forward to this game, but I don't want it to feel unfair in an immersion breaking way like described in the article.

DieH@rd

Banned
So, alien has the sense of smell and is always near us?

Still not problem for me. But lets see how will campaign play out, will it become boring or too extended.

There seems to be more video artifacting/blurriness on the PS4 side of the video for some reason. Unless the PC version is running at higher than 1080, the sharpness should be pretty much identical; but it's not. There's also a big contrast difference, and I don't know if it's the system doing that or the television it's on.
Better AA makes better IQ at the same resolution.

Superflat

Better AA makes better IQ at the same resolution.

Dunno if better AA is responsible for this kind of picture quality difference though:

Qoxtiov.png

Regarding the gameplay, I noticed something similar in The Last of Us. If you hid behind cover and hadn't been spotted, enemies would hover around your location and slowly track directly to you. This would be all right if the AI was checking behind other cover or in other locations, but they gravitate immediately in your direction. It was really off-putting for a game that touted choice in gameplay.

I'm hoping this game doesn't suffer the same problem seeing as how there's only one enemy.

Dunno if better AA is responsible for this kind of picture quality difference though:

Not on that no, but I was referring more to the "Unless the PC version is running at higher than 1080, the sharpness should be pretty much identical" part of your post.

bidguy

Banned
colors seem off in the ps4 version

edit: is there any quiet exploring or is the alien always on your back ?

ElTopo

Banned
So, alien has the sense of smell and is always near us?

Still not problem for me. But lets see how will campaign play out, will it become boring or too extended.

In the comics and established in the Rebellion AVP games it was hypothesized that the Alien sees you by your pheromones.

I'll wait and see on how hard it is. There is an easy mode. I kind of want it to be hard because a game like this is not going to have a lot of replay value.

Gametrailers were pretty damn positive about the Gamescom build.

GT: Alien Isolation hands-on

Apparently, the Gamescom demo defaulted to the hardest difficulty (1:45), they turned it back down to medium but wished they stuck with it.

Fans of RE would like the save station system (9:18)

I didn't find it frustrating when I played it. But yeah, it's hardcore, so won't be to everyone's tastes who want an action horror game.

pcworld said:
My time with the game also revealed some issues with the Alien's AI, which has been talked up in the past for being "realistic." Back at GDC I was told that the Alien would react appropriately to environmental cues, such as checking doors, et cetera. Instead the Alien seems consistently unfair, sticking unconscionably close to the player even in wide-open levels, as if it "knows" you're in that area. Even if it's never seen you there. Even if it shouldn't know you're there.

Typical. Using AI as a mechanic would require a lot of depth in both the player and NPC's agency. This quote only highlights the Alien as a pressure point mechanic; not rewarding creative approaches but dismissing it entirely for the sake of getting the players "tense" for the sake of. Nemesis from Biohazard 3 does an excellent job conveying this despite the fact that it is totally scripted and has limited pursuing sequence. Because it guarantees the player would always be aware for every area he/she enters because of the unpredictable pattern everytime he enters. Dahaka from PoP2 works in a similar way.

A game based around this mechanic can't even at least let the Alien work it's inherent mechanics without rubberbanding the player is a clear lack of faith in both their product and the player.

It also cheats. I'm pretty sure the Alien is pre-loaded into certain areas as you enter them, so even if you thought you outsmarted the Alien and left it behind in the last section of the level, walk into the next section and it somehow made it there ahead of you. This is particularly noticeable if you walk into a new region and then back into the old one. First you'll see the Alien in the new section, then it'll be back in the old section of the level before you even round the last corner.

Ok, this is just bullshit. If this game is basically one giant stealth game then why the fuck would they pull off this kind of shit? So what if you are 2 or 3 steps away from the Alien, the tension would still be there, and if the AI is really persistent than this cheap monster closet set-pieces can be very irritating. Final quote below sums up exactly what I feel about this preview.

That's cheap. It's an artificial constraint on player creativity, as if to make sure they can't really get away from the Alien.

In the comics and established in the Rebellion AVP games it was hypothesized that the Alien sees you by your pheromones.

So basically, they can spot you easily.

Ok, this is just bullshit. If this game is basically one giant stealth game then why the fuck would they pull off this kind of shit? So what if you are 2 or 3 steps away from the Alien, the tension would still be there, and if the AI is really persistent than this cheap monster closet set-pieces can be very irritating. Final quote below sums up exactly what I feel about this preview.

Having watched Alien again recently, this is basically how the alien acted/appeared out of nowhere in the final act.

DieH@rd

Banned
Gametrailers were pretty damn positive about the Gamescom build.

GT: Alien Isolation hands-on

Apparently, the Gamescom demo defaulted to the hardest difficulty (1:45), they turned it back down to medium but wished they stuck with it.

Fans of RE would like the save station system (9:18)

I didn't find it frustrating when I played it. But yeah, it's hardcore, so won't be to everyone's tastes who want an action horror game.

Thanks for the link, I somehow missed this vid.

Superflat

Not on that no, but I was referring more to the "Unless the PC version is running at higher than 1080, the sharpness should be pretty much identical" part of your post.
Yeah in that case I get what you mean

Besides the gamma being off, it could be tesselation, shadow quality, texture resolution, or AA creating a difference.

I figure how video compression doesn't like low gamma that washes out the black levels and garbles the visual information plays into it as well with blocky compression artifacts.

ps4 version didnt look like this when i played it. the videos contrast is totally fucked up.

They both don't look very ideal. The blacks aren't necessarily at "crushed" levels on PC, but a lot of visual information is lost -- more than I would like.

Meanwhile, the PS4's version looks washed out and you can see pretty much everything, and nothing is hidden by the dark. Somewhere in-between would be the sweet spot for me.

I guess some monitor/tv calibrations could help both of em in the end.

Isn't the Xenomorph completely blind and only tracks its prey based on keen sense of smell and hearing? That explains why it hangs round Amanda even in large open areas. It knows you're there, doesn't matter if you're hidden from direct line of sight.

bidguy

Banned
Isn't the Xenomorph completely blind and only tracks its prey based on keen sense of smell and hearing? That explains why it hangs round Amanda even in large open areas. It knows you're there, doesn't matter if you're hidden from direct line of sight.

doesnt explain the fact that it basically teleports itself around the station

if you manage to outsmart it and leave it behind it should stay behind

see post 28

see post 28

Maybe its only that section of GC demo which was specifically designed so they show the Alien as much as possible. The whole game can't be cat-n-mouse all the time, that would get real old, real fast.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Every non-Total War game Creative Assembly has made has been bad to awful, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone if this follows suit.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Both video's are compressed to fuck the PS4 version more so for some reason and the brightness/contrast is off too, also why does the PC version have boarders?

Briarios

see post 28

Because that's exactly how it worked in the movies, right? Either you want realism or you want an Alien game, you can't get really get both.

Xpliskin

Funny thing is PC vs PS4 comparison almost looks like colonial marines Demo vs Final comparison.
Probably a capture problem.

One bad preview is not enough.

Still hyped, waiting for reviews though.

Jedi2016

Both versions seem off. The PC looks like it's got some black crushing, but it's hard to tell if it's from the video compression or not. That setting is typically always adjustable, though, so I'm not all that concerned.

Xenos do have something akin to eyes, so they can "see", just not like we do.

Not sure what to think of the cinematics. I was planning to play this in the Rift, and cinematics are a no-no for VR.

Those are some really good critiques in the PCWorld article. The type of thing you'd want to know about before release. It'd be nice if the developers could address a few of those concerns before release, like the lack of a player shadow.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It also cheats. I'm pretty sure the Alien is pre-loaded into certain areas as you enter them, so even if you thought you outsmarted the Alien and left it behind in the last section of the level, walk into the next section and it somehow made it there ahead of you. This is particularly noticeable if you walk into a new region and then back into the old one. First you'll see the Alien in the new section, then it'll be back in the old section of the level before you even round the last corner.

Picture of the alien
KHZTeml.png

Mr Vast

Banned
Looks good enough on ps4. I'll get it on pc for 1440p but otherwise it's quite comparable (beside smoke and aa)

The PS4 version is washed out and there is no denying that it is either the TV settings or the PS4 being set on a wrong HDMI level. If Killzone can produce an alien like environment, so can this game without downgrading the graphics substantially.

Top Bottom