• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCWorld previews Alien: Isolation, frustration permeates; PS4 vs PC video from CVG

I don't know, guys. I have seen that IGN Commentary video and the alien acted exactly like I thought he would.

The AI sounds pretty sophisticated from what I have heard since the alien learns from the player.

Throwing a flare or noisemaker might work for a couple of times but eventually it knows that you are the one using them and it will become suspicious.

The alien will be on its guard and scout the area because you alerted it by using the same mechanic.

You have to mix your style, and sometimes even forget about the whole tools you have at your disposal and try to sneak past it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's annoying because this is exactly the kind of thing that they said wouldn't happen.

Why would you go out of your way to say 'our game wont work like this' if you know damn full well that it's a fucking lie?

Hype completely deflated. Glad I didn't give in to the lure of that preorder bonus; no way I'm buying this before reading a review. I thought at the time that a preorder bonus that juicy shows a lack of confidence in the product, and this makes me feel like I might have been correct.

AHA-Lambda

I played this at Rezzed back in March and from such a small slice it's hard to tell but I do remember dying in one instance where I was absolutely sure the alien couldn't see me and it ran straight from the other end of the corridor at me and killed me :/

Bad comprarison. The gamma is out of whack on the PC. The PC is exhibiting lots of black crush, which is also making the AO look more apparent. The PC is probably doing some stuff the PS4 isn't, but I can't really tell in this video. PS4 looks more natural just because of the contrast to me.

UrbanRats

I think the first two Siren games had a bit of this problem.

They were so hard and punishing, that after a while the horror made space to frustration and detached analysis and calculation.

SIREN New Translation may have been a bit too easy once you found a weapon, but at least it didn't have that problem, even in the stealth only levels.

It's a fine between terrorizing the player, and forcing them to detach themselves from the atmosphere, to pass the level mechanically.

Notice how an effectively terrifying "game" like P.T. goes around this by basically removing fail states, though of course falling prey of the same problem by making the final puzzles too complicated to keep you invested in the atmosphere.

Soule

Ahh man, that's pretty disheartening to hear. Coolest premise for an Alien game I've seen so far and on first viewing it looked really promising. Even if it turns out to be a good game I really hoped it'd be great. Oh well, will wait for final reviews and impressions and that'll decide the buying priority for me.

SerTapTap

Ugh sounds like everything I hated about amnesia, won't have the obtuse puzzle I got suck on at least I guess. Not a day one for me anymore.

Quite a few previews were very positive on gameplay so I'm not going to assume the worst yet - particularly when it's not clear if this was artificial build for games how or not.

As for teleporting Alien I expect that TBH. They're trying to capture the feel of the first film - the Alien has to stay somewhat close to you for this to work.

Sure in reality if you manage to sneak off then it would be clear run to escape with the Alien deciding to putter about one bit of the station while you're elsewhere - but that would make for a shit film and a shit game.

Going to take full reviews to get real idea of how well the artificial balance (bringing Alien into section of station you're on) works with realistic balance (your ability to dodge it / trick it / hide) and get to the next section or narrative goal I'd say.

Then why make a persistent AI to begin with? If they wanted teleporting Aliens then pre-defined setpieces would suffice. It worked for Biohazard 3 so why not work around that? The point of a teleporting AI diminishes the purpose of well planned stealth approach only to pop up in a location you have no clear preparation of. It's the antithesis of a stealth game since the player is punished for working with the system and this deus-ex machina only serves to sabotage gameplay just to replicate a feature from the movies. You know what's also in movies? Cuts and retakes, something that doesn't exist in a persistency medium. Pushing conflicting features is the mark of an amateur company. Creating an survivals horror Alien is fan service enough. If they wanted to truly replicate the movie experience then there's the Heavy Rain/TWD approach.

Yeah, that's too bad. The Alien's mechanics and AI really needs to be absolutely top notch for this to work. I'm afraid it's going to be a bit like playing Left 4 Dead: the special infected seem scary and unpredictable for the first 2 hours, then you realize that their behavior, mechanics, spawn points, and such are entirely predictable and not really all that sophisticated.

Exactly. Developers had the ambition but lack the skillset to deliver on their promises. I feel this game would fall horribly flat in its face if the previews were a proper indication.

Why does the video pause/freeze forever after the door opens on pc btw? ps4 taking forever to load with that 5400 rpm hdd?^^

As mentioned before, the alien teleports to every area you enter, this is the most logical cause as the Alien has it's own AI pathfinding to load with.

Top Bottom