• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubi - "Wii U owners don't buy AC", Watch_Dogs their last M-rated WiiU release.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot: ‘Nintendo Customers Don’t Buy Assassin’s Creed’

We inquired about Ubisoft’s relationship with Nintendo.

“It’s very simple,” Guillemot says. “What we see is that Nintendo customers don’t buy Assassin’s Creed. Last year, we sold in very small numbers.” In fact, across Ubisoft’s portfolio, Nintendo home console sales only represent three percent of the total for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2014. That’s down a percentage point from the previous year.

The company isn’t abandoning Nintendo entirely. Rather, it is simply shifting its focus on the platform. “What we see is that they are very interested in Just Dance, very interested by other kinds of games," Guillemot says. “So what we are trying to do is to focus more on the types of games they are interested in.”

Watch Dogs is the exception to this new rule. Ubisoft has promised the title for Wii U, and as of now, that version is still in the works. “[Watch Dogs] is coming to Wii U,” he assures. “It will be the only mature game we publish on it.”

After the high-profile failure of ZombiU, and the lack of support for AC IV on the platform (it's the only version of the game I can find for less than $20 at retail consistently.), this doesn't shock me. But at the same time, it's a very blunt way of looking at the problem. Yes, Multiplat M-rated games aren't selling on the WiiU. Does that mean the audience doesn't want mature titles, or that they're just playing those games elsewhere?

Kataploom

Gold Member
They better put anything else on Wii U instead of Watch Dogs as last M rated game on the console since they boycotted it themselves and no one is gonna buy it now. They'd even sell a lot better (even if that bombs)...

NateDrake

Sad Zombi U 2 will never happen. Was a great launch game that sadly received negative reviews which likely turned a lot of people off from the game. Releasing Watch Dogs at this point is meaningless. No one even remembers that game released on other platforms, nevermind that it is still coming to Wii U.

Averon

Don't blame them. They tried and got nothing in return. Doing any more work on the Wii U is throwing money down he drain.

Ramstein

Banned
I had no idea ZombiU was a failure... I loved that game. And I normally hate the zombie genre(it was innovative, to a point, which is what drew me to get it at launch).

So sad to see it die like that. I could see it coming back on other platforms with a new name, new graphics and new improvements, but, that's because I'm an optimist.

cafemomo

Ubi isn't even making their typical shovelware games for both Nintendo systems anymore.

Nintendo is dead to them

Man I'm bummed. Zombi U ruled and I was really holding out hope for a sequel. Fuck you for operating like a business rather than making the games I want, Ubi!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: No fun allowed.

Echoing how sad it is we'll never see a Zombi U2.

Madness

Well it would've been tough beyond this year as it is, as the generation gap between the Wii U and it's competitors grew. So not surprised they're winding down those kinds of games.

Additionally, it's sort of a chicken and the egg scenario. They need these games on the Wii U to grow the install base, but then they don't want to sell these games without the install base.

Nintendo should be really worried, this does not bode well for Nintendo. Ubisoft was one of the last large publishers making third party or multiplatforms for the console. It will also reinforce that M-rated games don't belong on a Nintendo console and will be tough to get any Rockstar game like GTA V on the console.

7threst

Zombi U really deserved more than the negative attention it got :(

But when Watch_Dogs on Wii U won't sell (and it probably won't), the fault is with Ubisoft. We didn't even know if the game would still come to Wii U for a long time....

rnaud

It's indeed hard to be mad at them. I'm guessing not a lot of gamers are using Wii U as their main platform, so they are not buying the port but the Xbox One of PS4 version. No reason for them to keep porting.

SFenton

I had no idea ZombiU was a failure... I loved that game. And I normally hate the zombie genre(it was innovative, to a point, which is what drew me to get it at launch).

So sad to see it die like that. I could see it coming back on other platforms with a new name, new graphics and new improvements, but, that's because I'm an optimist.

Would be cool to see on XB1/PS4 with the WiiU tablet replaced by SmartGlass or the PS4 equivalent.

Mory Dunz

And there's the last of mature 3rd party multiplats.

I guess we'll see if anything changes next generation, but it seems unlikely.

udivision

To be fair, it doesn't even make much sense for Nintendo themselves to be making games that are guaranteed to not justify their costs. I'm looking at you Bayo 2, Xeno X, and Star Fox.

Some Nobody

Just says "mature" titles, so technically there's still support there, just...not what some people would want. Shame.

To be fair, it doesn't even make much sense for Nintendo themselves to be making games that are guaranteed to not justify their costs. I'm looking at you Bayo 2, Xeno X, and Star Fox.

lol. Here's a quick way for me to go back to my anti-Nintendo stance...

According to a site that should not be named, its around 700k sales. Its probably a wrong number and way off the actual sales but if we go off of that you'd assume it was atleast mildly successful, but because of the development hell it went through and the change in game structured 3 times(Killer Rabbids -> Kill Freaks from Outerspace -> ZombiU) theres no way this game would have been profitable sadly. Which really sucks because I loved ZombiU and really want a sequel.

Just says "mature" titles, so technically there's still support there, just...not what some people would want. Shame.

Ubisoft came into this gen with such high hopes. They put a ton of time and money into ZombiU as one of Nintendo's largest core supporters and Guillemot used to root for them.

Now...all of that has completely vanished. Guillemot has completely given up faith on the system's core audience.

It's all Just Dance and...more Just Dance. Maybe some Just Dance for added measure.

That shift is...quite sad.

Ramstein

Banned
Would be cool to see on XB1/PS4 with the WiiU tablet replaced by SmartGlass or the PS4 equivalent.

Exactly. The WiiU has the controller for it to be implemented natively, but Xbox One has Smart Glass and the PS4 has Vita. I'd like to support it, if it ever came true, but, I think I'd be torn about their abandonment of Nintendo and wouldn't buy it.

Kriken

While it upsets me a bit, I can't say I blame them, why bother with a platform when your sales are less than 5%?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone not see this coming from a million miles away?

I say this as someone that owns AC III, AC IV, and Zombi U on the Wii U.

Ubi isn't even making their typical shovelware games for both Nintendo systems anymore.

Nintendo is dead to them

I doubt this is true. They will keep releasing Just Dance type games for Nintendo systems because they sell decently. Just like it says in the interview.

But this is kind of the same thing we've seen on Nintendo platforms since the Gamecube. For whatever reason, these games just don't sell as well on Nintendo platforms (which is kind of offset by say platformer sales). IF Nintendo wants to strengthen their third party support, this is something they really need to work on.

Some Nobody

Ubisoft came into this gen with such high hopes.

Hell, they put a ton of time and money into ZombiU as one of Nintendo's largest core supporters.

Now...all of that has completely vanished. Guillemot has completely given up faith on the system's core audience.

It's all Just Dance and...more Just Dance. Maybe some Just Dance for added measure.

That shift is...quite sad.

Ha. I mean, last I checked Rayman was doing fairly well on Wii U, so probably that too.

And it IS sad, but Nintendo pushed that family friendly image to the point that people believe them now, so games like Zombi U look weird to people. Similarly, I'd actually be shocked if Devil's Third outsold W101.

PrimeX

Good news everyone!
After playing AC4 for...2 hours I decided it's the worst Wii U game ever and promised myself I would not buy another Ubi game. Traded it for Wii Party U and I'm happy now.

large.jpg

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
To this day I'm still surprised they actually cancelled several Petz and Imagine games that were in development for the 3DS.

Why ? The games sold like shit and the 3DS userbase was where it needed to be to make money on shovelware.

Ubi still is the best 3rd Party publisher on WiiU.

Zombie U
Just Dance Series
AC3/AC4
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Rayman Legends
Child of Light
Watch Dogs

Cant say they didnt try.

KingJolly

Banned
WiiU owners only got yourselves to blame. Ubisoft was most probably the kindest 3rd party company to even give a damn about the WiiU

JoeM86

Well, I got Assassin's Creed 4 (among others) and was disappointed with the quality of the port and the fact the DLC never made it.

You can't slap consumers in the face and then moan when they don't buy your products.

Though that's not to say that it would have sold if it hadn't been poorly done, but that was a factor that contributed in. I saw lots of people saying they would have got it. Anecdotal, sure, but every little helps.

I'm surprised they are still planning on releasing Watch Dogs. Seems like a waste at this point.

If they've already completed the game then they might as well release it. I mean, look at what Deep Silver did with Ride to Hell. That was actually a horrendous game, but they shoved it out the door with no marketing and didn't even send copies to any reviewers.

I'm surprised that Watch_Dogs is still coming to Wii U.

Honestly at this point I think Ubisoft / Mr. Guillemot is still pushing a release because they're receiving some form of incentive from Nintendo. It doesn't necessarily have to be a cash-based moneyhat...Nintendo could help with marketing / distribution or reduce / eliminate royalty fees, for example.

JordanN

Banned
Nintendo should be really worried, this does not bode well for Nintendo.
Nintendo fight with third parties goes back to the 90's so it's not a new phenomenon. Even during the Gamecube years, their efforts were abysmal (there was no Grand Theft Auto at all).

They will continue to ignore third parties and still live, it just puts them at a higher risk of being Dreamcasted in the event another console fails.

Foffy

Banned
Well it would've been tough beyond this year as it is, as the generation gap between the Wii U and it's competitors grew. So not surprised they're winding down those kinds of games.

Additionally, it's sort of a chicken and the egg scenario. They need these games on the Wii U to grow the install base, but then they don't want to sell these games without the install base.

Nintendo should be really worried, this does not bode well for Nintendo. Ubisoft was one of the last large publishers making third party or multiplatforms for the console. It will also reinforce that M-rated games don't belong on a Nintendo console and will be tough to get any Rockstar game like GTA V on the console.

I have a hard time seeing the typical M-rated games doing well on Nintendo's platforms. It has less to do with Nintendo's own particular ecosystem ecosystem and more of the established franchises they have; they have more defined "homes" on other platforms. People who typically play Assassin's Creed or GTA probably don't consider a Nintendo platform to be the home to play it on, unless it's exclusive. The games they have been getting from third parties have almost always came with the condition that they were simply better elsewhere. I think that alone would kill an audience, especially to established IP. I honestly cannot name a multiplatform third party game on Wii U that is defined very heavily to not look like a hand me down other than Rayman Legends, which was once an exclusive for the platform. Every single M rated game on the system does, sans Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third...though some would argue that those are hand me downs because Nintendo is funding those third party games as first party releases.

With that said, companies should try to focus on games and franchises that seem to be more fit on a Nintendo system. The best ones typically have been platformers like Rayman, Mega Man, and Sonic, to name a few. I know the Wii U is doing poorly, but when all three of those IPs had multiplatform releases, I believe nearly every one of those games sold the most on Nintendo's; I believe Rayman Legends and Sonic Generations in particular sold more on Nintendo's line of hardware than others, which shocks me especially because for Generations, that was the handheld version by Dimps, not even the main version marketed. It then becomes a situation of trying to capitalize on it. I don't think platformers from third party are really considered AAA anymore, so their chase and hemorrhaging in that space only confirms a separation from Nintendo. Those experiences are defined more on other platforms, which essentially leaves Nintendo in a void with only their first party efforts to define the platform.

Why ? The games sold like shit and the 3DS userbase was where it needed to be to make money on shovelware.

The retail 'virtual pet' market on 3DS is healthy in Europe to this day (there's a whole bunch due out before the end of the year). Then again, Ubisoft canned them back in late 2011 when the 3DS itself was still struggling.

DVCY201

Shame. I've got AC3, AC4, Splinter Cell, Zombi U, and Rayman from them on the Wii U. While I applaud them for trying, their ports were kinda shotty. Hoping they develop some unique titles at least for the platform that will find success.

Phil S.

Banned

Nintendo is dead to them

It's like you didn't even read the OP.

“What we see is that they are very interested in Just Dance, very interested by other kinds of games," Guillemot says. “So what we are trying to do is to focus more on the types of games they are interested in.”

So in your mind... No mature releases = nothing made by Ubisoft at all

I'm understanding why I'm told to stay out of Nintendo topics on this site. Logic and any kind of sense are thrown out of the window immediately with some of you.

Ouch. I wonder what Nintendo's higher-ups think at this point, Ubisoft was pretty much their last big Wii U supporter and Nintendo seems to be trying to get more mature titles on their system like Devil's Third and Bayonetta on their box.

Well, I got Assassin's Creed 4 (among others) and was disappointed with the quality of the port and the fact the DLC never made it.

You can't slap consumers in the face and then moan when they don't buy your products.

Though that's not to say that it would have sold if it hadn't been poorly done, but that was a factor that contributed in. I saw lots of people saying they would have got it. Anecdotal, sure, but every little helps.

I was under the impression it was a pretty solid port?

Hardly a "slap in the face" since Ubi have been pretty much the biggest third party supporters of the Wii U since its launch.

Even if the Wii U version had excellent features and performance above PS3/360... I doubt the numbers would be much different.

Top Bottom