• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou fan games coming to PlayStation 4

Evilisk

Touhou Project creator Zun announced a new project for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita during Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia’s press conference this morning.

The project appears to bring Touhou Project derivative works to the PlayStation 4 platform. Its slogan is, “Touhou fans will create and raise it, together with PlayStation,” suggesting it’s not just making Touhou Project games playable on PlayStation 4, but also letting users share their created works.

Source

Also some background information on the aforementioned "Project" from fellow GAF member cuc:

This is the official site of the project: http://www.mediascape.co.jp/zunps/

As you can see, the company responsible for this project is called "Mediascape". According to its own profile page, the president of the company is Nozomu Ezaki. Google tells me, Nozomu Ezaki is none other than ZUN's buddy, D.N.A., of the doujin circle D.N.A. Softwares. D.N.A. has always been helping with ZUN and Twilight Frontier on the business side of things.

In other words, the company that will be publishing Touhou fan games on PlayStation systems is ZUN's own people, not some outsider.

No release date has been announced for the games. And the games announced so far are Mystery Gensokyo 3, Genius of Sappheiros and Touhou Sky Arena -Matsuri- (with more doujin games possibly coming). The official games haven't been confirmed though there's a (slightly) extended Trailer possibly hinting at it. A PSVita logo also does show up on the Zunps website

Touhou-Project-PS4-Ann_001.jpg

Touhou-Project-PS4-Ann_002.jpg

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Touhou on Vita and I'll give it a second chance. I promise!

Caelus

Funny that I've listened to so much Touhou music but never even touched the games, hope they have good soundtracks haha

shockdude

It does make me wonder the logistics of getting these games onto the PS4. Is it really that simple to port an arbitrary PC game to PS4?

Funny that I've listened to so much Touhou music but never even touched the games, hope they have good soundtracks haha
Good soundtracks? Lol, where do you think all that Touhou music originates from?

So do we know if this only going to be for the fan games or are they going to be bringing the main games to PS4 as well?

Also is there any chance that these will be released on the US store?

It's was kind of funny that the pic of ZUN they had was with a beer in his hand. I'm beginning to doubt that there are any where it's just him.

upandaway

I'm excited for Desunoya ports, if they're coming, because I still haven't managed to complete much of any of their postgame levels (so hard!).

If Sony's involved it raises the chance of English translation/Vita release a bit too.

demidar

It does make me wonder the logistics of getting these games onto the PS4. Is it really that simple to port an arbitrary PC game to PS4?

If we're talking the mainline shooters, it would take a bit of effort since they use DirectX which is a Windows-only thing so they'd need to learn the PS4 tools for rendering and stuff.

Not too sure about the fangames though, I imagine they're built using their own engine so porting them would probably be just as hard?

cuc

General information on the 3 titles:

- Mystery Gensokyo is a Touhou-themed series of Shiren clone roguelikes. The one they are porting seems to be the newest version.

- Touhou Sky Arena is a Touhou-themed Gundam Extreme VS clone, reputed to be not very good.

Both of the above are for people who want to play a high production value game (complete with voice acting) with Touhou characters.

- The Genius of Sappheiros is a turn-based RPG with a battle system similar to SaGa. It is an exceptionally well designed but difficult game, although the version they are porting will likely have an Easy mode.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I've never played Touhou but I love the music and art so I'll definitely check these out

cuc

I'm trying to wrap my head around what this is, is this a platform for doujin games centered around a particular theme ?

The trailer contains a very slight hint that they may expand to other doujin games that are not based on Touhou in the future.

EDIT: At 19 seconds, the trailer says 今後も東方や同人タイトルが続々参戦! The particle や here may imply there will be doujin games other than Touhou.

danmaku

I'm trying to wrap my head around what this is, is this a platform for doujin games centered around a particular theme ?

Basically, yes. Touhou is a series of (pretty good) doujin shmups, and there's an absurd amount of fanart, mangas and games based on its characters, to the point that the characters are far more popular than the original games.

Old Touhou games could really use an HD remaster (new character art, please), but I wonder if ZUN is going to let anyone touch his games.

Well, you could ask who could be the target group of such games.

The Touhou scene donsn't have problems playing such games on PC and the titles don't like they have mainstream appeal.

cuc

Well, you could ask who could be the target group of such games.

The Touhou scene donsn't have problems playing such games on PC and the titles don't like they have mainstream appeal.

Hard to say, they may have appeal to a younger audience who haven't yet been introduced to Touhou.

But I do partially agree with you, and I think the project makes more sense if it would eventually lead to a fully fledged doujin game porting business of their own.

cuc

A sharp-eyed viewer noticed a non-Touhou game in the trailer: desParadaiso, a dungeon crawler by Platine Dispositif (Gundemonium trilogy, Bunny Must Die, and many other games).

So the real story here is "ZUN launches a doujin game publisher on PlayStation".

EDIT:
Murasame (the sole member of Platine Dispositif) linked to the page, saying he's in, but hasn't made any specific plans.

cuc

The site has been updated with a summary of the project's purpose, and a list of participating doujin circles (only the 3 announced circles now).

Summary of information:

- In addition to Touhou fan games, they will also port original doujin games.

- The development will primarily be conducted by the doujin circles themselves, with technical support from their company MediaScape, Sony Computer Entertainment, and knowledge exchange among the circles.

Hmm, Sony is making a serious committment to cultivating an indie ecosystem in Japan.

rrvv

A sharp-eyed viewer noticed a non-Touhou game in the trailer: desParadaiso, a dungeon crawler by Platine Dispositif (Gundemonium trilogy, Bunny Must Die, and many other games).

So the real story here is "ZUN launches a doujin game publisher on PlayStation".

EDIT:
Murasame (the sole member of Platine Dispositif) linked to the page, saying he's in, but hasn't made any specific plans.

not surprised. Gundemonium Collection already been released in west on PS3. surpirsed it took them this long to released in japan

cuc

Forgot to mention: this whole project is still in an early stage, with most arrangements not set in stone. A few days ago, Aquastyle has announced what they will do is to port Mysterious Gensokyo 3 to Vita, not PS4, with a release date of "2015".

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've only played one of the Touhou shmups but yeah this is really cool. Glad to see these games coming on console. I'm only hoping some of them eventually make their way to the US (I think there's a reasonably large fanbase over here for Touhou) PS4 is getting a nice little library of Japanese games lately...

SerTapTap

I thought these games were PC only and basically impossible to buy without extortionate imports. If they show up digital for PS4 I guess I'm interested.
...all of what I know about it is from music videos people have made of it for whatever reason.

Top Bottom