• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've developed a sudden caffeine intolerance and it sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komo

Banned
Three weeks ago, I developed a sudden caffeine intolerance.
It lead to my first, second, third and fourth panic attack, followed by three weeks of being in a dizzy, hazy hell, battling panic attack symptoms and thinking something was seriously wrong with me. Doctors said I was fine, but I grew more afraid.
I was desperate for answers, so I cut caffeine from my daily diet, and I felt completely fine again, albeit some light derealization. I shared this news with my doctor, and he just told me "It just happens to people, you know? it's like someone flicked a switch."
He basically didn't really know much about it himself, but I knew I was at least healthy and not dying. I'm relieved that it's nothing serious, but I'm also kinda gutted.

I can't consume anymore than roughly 50mg of caffeine (For reference, there's 45mg of caffeine in a can of Coke Zero) without feeling absolutely terrible.
The symptoms kick start about an hour or two after the consumption, and I'll begin to experience a heavy sense of derealization, coupled with some lightheadedness and occasional dizzy spells.
It's a terrible experience.

Now, here's the thing. I love energy drinks. I love sodas, and I'm very passionate about coffee, but now I've had to cut them all out of my life entirely. I don't know if I'll ever be able to enjoy them again.

Has this happened to anyone else?
How does something like this even happen? :(

studyguy

Time for cocaine. The other caffeine.

I can't deal with too much of it either OP. If I get too much like in an energy drink or strong coffee then I get mad headaches. I tend to stay away from stronger caffeine drinks.

Garruson

Happened to me last year. Can't drink anything now with it in really. Haven't had a fizzy drink with caffeine or coffee in over a year until last week I had one small mocha, fuck I felt shit.

Headache, depression (on top of the usual), visual migraine, jitteryness sense of feeling weird. I'm annoyed with myself, I hadn't had an energy drink or anything for over a year as well, same with sweets. I only drink water or sometimes juice. But I feel more power to me, I had willpower to stop drinking all that shit at the drop of a hat and went longer than a year, I only had the mocha out of politeness because my boss bought it for me.

But yeah, I don't think it will fade. I thankful for it to be honest, don't ever have to have that shit again that rots your stomach or teeth, helps get a nicer body too drinking only water. And energy drinks suck anyway. The only hard part was that as a kid I loved vanilla coke, and just as they released it to the market again is when I stopped, so I've not been able to have some since my childhood :(

I've always had a low tolerance for caffeine, and in the past couple years I feel like it's gotten worse (which sucks since I work in a coffee shop). I've being trying to build it back up by slowly increasing the amount I might drink in a day.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Coffee is the emperor god of drinks but good that you can't have energy drinks anymore!

I used to drink tons of coffee and energy drinks and always felt great, but the past year or so I get crazy jitters and feel like my heart is going to jump out my chest after an energy drink, or cup of coffee

and my shits... man...I get all cramped and gurgly inside then explode hot coffee into the toilet like an hour after having caffeine. It's like someone just turned on a faucet inside me, and I don't have a solid poop for the rest of the day

Caramello

Three weeks ago, I developed a sudden caffeine intolerance.
It lead to my first, second, third and fourth panic attack, followed by three weeks of being in a dizzy, hazy hell, battling panic attack symptoms and thinking something was seriously wrong with me. Doctors said I was fine, but I grew more afraid.
I was desperate for answers, so I cut caffeine from my daily diet, and I felt completely fine again, albeit some light derealization. I shared this news with my doctor, and he just told me "It just happens to people, you know? it's like someone flicked a switch."
He basically didn't really know much about it himself, but I knew I was at least healthy and not dying. I'm relieved that it's nothing serious, but I'm also kinda gutted.

I can't consume anymore than roughly 50mg of caffeine (For reference, there's 45mg of caffeine in a can of Coke Zero) without feeling absolutely terrible.
The symptoms kick start about an hour or two after the consumption, and I'll begin to experience a heavy sense of derealization, coupled with some lightheadedness and occasional dizzy spells.
It's a terrible experience.

Now, here's the thing. I love energy drinks. I love sodas, and I'm very passionate about coffee, but now I've had to cut them all out of my life entirely. I don't know if I'll ever be able to enjoy them again.

Has this happened to anyone else?
How does something like this even happen? :(

I have this too...

Clydefrog

Do what I did and start drinking those sugar cane sodas. I thought they still had caffeine so I had one every other day. Felt fine.

Two weeks later, I look at the can closely and caffeine is not an ingredient. I was Shamalaynd'd.

Yeah. I've kind of been living off of water and tea for the past couple of days.
It's kind of boring, to be honest ...

Tea? Boring??? You do know how many delicious kinds are out there, don't you? Let alone the infinite variety of blends. Try to experiment with different blacks, whites, greens, yellows and reds and you will never be bored again.

HUELEN10

OR, or have you tried it up your ass?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bznDjbQLzMo
Damn you for posting that vid, it was linked to more vids.
x11FVD2.png

Now I've lost all faith in humanity.

potam

Banned
Tea? Boring??? You do know how many delicious kinds are out there, don't you? Let alone the infinite variety of blends. Try to experiment with different blacks, whites, greens, yellows and reds and you will never be bored again.

blueteainfusion I feel like it's your time to shine

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Were you low on sleep when this first happened? Me and another gaf'er both had this happen around the same time a few months ago, both of us were pulling all-nighters and drinking energy drinks. I'm feeling about 80% back to normal after about 4 months, can drink caffeine now but makes me feel weird. After it first happened I was having nausea every day from anxiety, with panic attacks weekly or multiple times a week.

thefit

Were you low on sleep when this first happened? Me and another gaf'er both had this happen around the same time a few months ago, both of us were pulling all-nighters and drinking energy drinks. I'm feeling about 80% back to normal after about 4 months, can drink caffeine now but makes me feel weird. After it first happened I was having nausea every day from anxiety, with panic attacks weekly or multiple times a week.

I read that as "I'm feeling about 80% black to normal"...I need to get allergic to alcohol.

AxeMan

Yeah. I've kind of been living off of water and tea for the past couple of days.
It's kind of boring, to be honest ...

Tea contains caffeine you know.

Are you saying that the caffeine in a coffee affects you but not the caffeine in a Tea?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

Are you saying that the caffeine in a coffee affects you but not the caffeine in a Tea?

Tea contains L-theanine which is calming, so you get alertness without the jitteryness of coffee.

Komo

Banned
Maybe it's not the caffeine, but how you consumer it. Have you tried showering with it instead?
Don't tempt me. ;__;

I might have been. I can't really remember.
But, I do remember that I was actually really stressed out because of a few things. It also didn't help that I had this weird pinching feeling in my head. That combined, kind of triggered my first panic attack.

I can handle small doses of caffeine. Like, I can drink a 375ml bottle of Coke Zero and feel completely fine, and tea hasn't given me any issues. I'm sure it's just beverages/foods that are high in caffeine. I mean, I even took a 100mg caffeine pill just to be certain, and that definitely caused some problems for me.

does caffeine give you existential angst? sometimes weed does to me. sometimes i want to feel it and sometimes i dread it.

AxeMan

Don't tempt me. ;__;

I might have been. I can't really remember.
But, I do remember that I was actually really stressed out because of a few things. It also didn't help that I had this weird pinching feeling in my head. That combined, kind of triggered my first panic attack.

I can handle small doses of caffeine. Like, I can drink a 375ml bottle of Coke Zero and feel completely fine, and tea hasn't given me any issues. I'm sure it's just beverages/foods that are high in caffeine. I mean, I even took a 100mg caffeine pill just to be certain, and that definitely caused some problems for me.

This table I found might help you

Coffee

Brewed 8 oz. (237 mL) 95-200 mg
Brewed, decaffeinated 8 oz. (237 mL) 2-12 mg
Brewed, single-serve varieties 8 oz. (237 mL) 75-150 mg
Brewed, single-serve varieties, decaffeniated 8 oz. (237 mL) 2-4 mg
Espresso, restaurant-style 1 oz. (30 mL) 47-75 mg
Espresso, restaurant-style, decaffeinated 1 oz. (30 mL) 0-15 mg
Instant 8 oz. (237 mL) 27-173 mg
Instant, decaffeinated 8 oz. (237 mL) 2-12 mg
Specialty drink (latte or mocha) 8 oz. (237 mL)

Tea
Brewed tea
Black tea 8 oz. (237 mL) 14-70 mg
Black tea, decaffeinated 8 oz. (237 mL) 0-12 mg
Green tea 8 oz. (237 mL) 24-45 mg
Iced tea
Instant, prepared with water 8 oz. (237 mL) 11-47 mg
Ready-to-drink, bottled 8 oz. (237 mL) 5-40 mg

Good picture on this site comparing all drinks and the amount of caffeine in them
http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/health/caffeine-in-your-can.html

lednerg

For some reason, I have a different reaction to the kind of caffeine they put into soft drinks versus the naturally occurring kind that's in coffee and tea. It's not quite as bad as what you're saying, but it sure doesn't make me feel all that great. I could be making it up, but it's been one of the reasons I stay away from soda, which is a good idea anyway.

Since about February, I've had on and off insomnia. The only caffeine I've had is in the Green Tea I regularly drink. I've now avoided green tea and if I have any tea, I have it no later than early afternoon. Before I never had to worry about it.

I've had problems with anxiety as well and it never occurred to me that it could be the caffeine in the tea I was drinking until I've read your post OP.

Daft Bird

and my shits... man...I get all cramped and gurgly inside then explode hot coffee into the toilet like an hour after having caffeine. It's like someone just turned on a faucet inside me, and I don't have a solid poop for the rest of the day

I get the gurgling problem, and is pretty awful when it gets really extreme. My craps are still solid though. So my shit is equal to or greater than your shits.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I had that when I went off antidepressants. Coffee would trigger anxiety and panic attacks.

Now that I am on them again. I can enjoy my morning coffee.

There is a ton of low and decaf tea. Herbal and fruit mixes usually are caffeine free.

Jimrpg

Its like being lactose intolerant - one day you just get it.

But there are other days when you will feel fine. I say give it a break for a while and then try it, something mild first.

I'm so sorry. Hopefully sugar can give you the energy you need

Something similar happened to me with dairy. Drinking milk causes my insides to turn to sludge

Malvolio

Sorry to hear that OP. I love my morning coffee and it would kill me to switch to decaf. I did recently gain an intolerance to alcohol. Any decently strong beer will have me nauseous, so I more or less gave up beer rather than switch to non-alcoholic. It was tough at first, but to be honest I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.

Komo

Banned
Its like being lactose intolerant - one day you just get it.

But there are other days when you will feel fine. I say give it a break for a while and then try it, something mild first.

My doctor advised I stay away from caffeine for about two weeks, and then try it again to see if I still feel the same. So, yeah I'll be seeing how that goes. Fingers crossed that it's just temporary!

Jimrpg

My doctor advised I stay away from caffeine for about two weeks, and then try it again to see if I still feel the same. So, yeah I'll be seeing how that goes. Fingers crossed that it's just temporary!

As others have suggested try decaf - tastes fine for me.

Zombine

Banned
Welcome to my world. I can't drink coffee on a regular basis or I get hit with the exact same sensation. I've moved my consumption to a weekend treat and I don't get the feeling anymore.

You're not dying, just one of us "unlucky" folks.

Seanspeed

Banned
You can now quit any energy-reliance you've developed with caffeine and eventually realize that you never needed it in the first place.

MaulerX

Happened to me. I thought I was having a heart attack while stuck in traffic on my way to work. Wound up driving to the ER instead. After all sorts of tests and blood work, they told me I was perfectly fine and how a suffered an anxiety attack. They asked me if I drink coffee (I drank coffee everyday since I was 10 with no problems) and after hearing my answer they banned me from drinking it. I stopped for a while and now drink decaf most of the time with the occasional real deal.

magnetic

Happened to me. I thought I was having a heart attack while stuck in traffic on my way to work. Wound up driving to the ER instead. After all sorts of tests and blood work, they told me I was perfectly fine and how a suffered an anxiety attack. They asked me if I drink coffee (I drank coffee everyday since I was 10 with no problems) and after hearing my answer they banned me from drinking it. I stopped for a while and now drink decaf most of the time with the occasional real deal.

I´ve been there as well - this feeling that you´re going to die. It makes you really appreciate how important your mental and physical health is - it seems most people don´t even talk about how risky caffeine can be for some people.

You can now quit any energy-reliance you've developed with caffeine and eventually realize that you never needed it in the first place.

Indeed.

I imagine caffeine like whipping a horse: You can make it go faster for a while, like a short sprint. But eventually you´re going to exhaust the horse, it can´t go on anymore, yet you keep whipping it, wondering why you´re going slower than you were even before you started whipping it.

Caffeine doesn´t give you actual "energy". It just makes the fight-or-flight response kick in, digging into reserves that your body has for emergencies, not for day-to-day life.

Seriously, OP, be glad that you don´t have to go down this road any longer. I used to drink coffee daily and started wondering why I slept like shit, felt tired all the time, and started having mild anxiety attacks.

I recently drank two smallish seeming cups of coffee at a portugese café, and it gave me one of the most frightening panic attacks yet. I had to go home via the subway, I suddenly felt completely trapped in the subway car (something that never was even a slight problem before) and suddenly felt like I was going to pass out. I sat there between the other passengers and was ready to yell "HELP ME!" at any moment. Too much caffeine makes me want to jump out of my skin, but being unable to - just feeling completely uncomfortable in my own body.

These days I just drink very small amounts of green jasmine tea (one teaspoon each day for a whole teapot - thankfully green tea really taste great even if you use less), which is perfect for my mood, my sleep and my productivity. I always brew the same leaves at least twice, which means a LOT of tea (and a lot of toilet visits!) for just a tiny handful of leaves. Very efficient!

It takes some time for your body to get used to less - or no - caffeine, because it´s so used to being constantly jerked around. But in the end, you will feel MUCH better.

msv

Ugh, me too, it's so annoying. If I drink too much coke in one day, my heart will pound like crazy. Few weeks ago I got Ice Tea every day, didn't mention any caffeine on the labels. So I drank it, and had reactions again. Didn't know what could cause it at the time, so I looked it up, and yeah, Lipton Ice Tea has got caffeine in it.

It sucks, because the caffeine never really adds anything flavorwise, it's purely a drug (a bad one for you at that, and weed is illegal? hilarious) and it's almost everywhere. Only Coke Light and Coke Zero have decaf versions (which are tough to find), bleh.

Anybody else like me and pretty much immune to caffeine?

Yeah I seem to be. I can have a coffee and then go to bed and sleep normally. Conversely a coffee in the morning, like right now, does absolutely nothing to wake/perk me up.

Sorry to hear that OP. I love my morning coffee and it would kill me to switch to decaf. I did recently gain an intolerance to alcohol. Any decently strong beer will have me nauseous, so I more or less gave up beer rather than switch to non-alcoholic. It was tough at first, but to be honest I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.

This also happened to me, one day I noticed a single drink would make me feel really nauseous when I had previously never felt/been sick from drinking way, way more. At first I thought it was going to be terrible but I really don't miss it at all. It's a lot easier now I'm older and a lot of my friends don't drink the way we did In our late teens/early twenties.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I had to give up caffeine because it was giving me horrible crippling migraines. The kind where the pain is easy, it's the agonizing nausea, blindness, and sensitivity to light that's killer.

TimeKillr

I'm weird with caffeine.

I can have 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning and feel nothing, but god forbid I drink a sip of coffee in the afternoon, because I then feel sick as a dog, constantly burping, getting anxiety symptoms, the works.

It's just super messed up. It's like my body can only handle so much coffee in a 24-hour period.

MaulerX

Wait, what? Why did you need to start drinking coffee when you were ten years old?

I guess it's a cultural thing. In Puerto Rico everyone drinks coffee. I was raised in NYC, but my parents passed on the coffee tradition and I got used to at least a cup of coffee for breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom