• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've developed a sudden caffeine intolerance and it sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acheteedo

Yeah I developed an intolerance to it a few years ago and had to quit entirely. Now I'm super glad it happened, I have so much more energy throughout the day, I gather caffeine gives you a temporary lift but then brings you down lower than your normal level if you drink it regularly. I used to fall asleep at my desk but that's never happened since I quit.

Coffeine intolerance would be you getting the insta shits. More likely you have developed is an anxiety disorder. It's well known fact that coffeine and uppers can trigger this, especialy when coupled with other factors like stress, lack of sleep, poor shape etc.

Cut down on the coffeine, do sport and exercise, get good nights sleep and don't focus on the symptoms. The ugly thing about anxiety is the more you think about it the worse it gets. But being aware of that also helps to get over it.

ced

Same thing happened to me with smoking pot on the weekends.

Horrible panic attacks every damn time, came out of nowhere as well.

Both can make anxiety worse.

Shiina

I developed a slight caffeine intolerance after my hypothyroidism shifted to hyperthyroidism. Currently I don't have any kind of thyroid condition so I can drink it but back then drinking it would cause my heart to race and make me feel generally kind of weird.

Jarlaxle

Damn you for posting that vid, it was linked to more vids.
x11FVD2.png

Now I've lost all faith in humanity.

Damn you for posting this pic. I've wasted over a half an hour at work watching these ridiculous videos.

How could you act surprised that eating mattresses might not be good for your health?

Wow. This happened to me in 2002 and I didn't realise it was a thing.

I was at work. I'd had a couple of cups of coffee. Suddenly the world disappeared down a tunnel. I thought I was having a heart attack. Had a massive panic attack - never had one before.

Had a horrible year from that point on. Had all kinds of weird pins and needles and numbness. Repeated panic attacks. I did notice things being worse with caffeine and cut my intake right down, only know drinking more coffee again. But the first event seemed to trigger something that meant I wasn't quite well for months, even when not drinking coffee. So the panic attacks, anxiety etc. continued.

Was an odd and scary experience. 12 years later I'm fine. Been fine for a long time. But very interesting to hear of other people's experience - especially the sudden onset of these things.

Camp Lo

Banned
I went to my doctor for this exact reason. She basically told me that my body simply doesn't need the caffeine. I thought I was allergic to it or something. Now, I can't have any and I'm fine with it.

I rather go without than to suffer from the effects of being on it. That's for fucking sure.

Komo

Banned
Wow. This happened to me in 2002 and I didn't realise it was a thing.

I was at work. I'd had a couple of cups of coffee. Suddenly the world disappeared down a tunnel. I thought I was having a heart attack. Had a massive panic attack - never had one before.

Had a horrible year from that point on. Had all kinds of weird pins and needles and numbness. Repeated panic attacks. I did notice things being worse with caffeine and cut my intake right down, only know drinking more coffee again. But the first event seemed to trigger something that meant I wasn't quite well for months, even when not drinking coffee. So the panic attacks, anxiety etc. continued.

Was an odd and scary experience. 12 years later I'm fine. Been fine for a long time. But very interesting to hear of other people's experience - especially the sudden onset of these things.

Yup, this is exactly how it happened to me. Pretty harsh.
I'm actually kind of relieved to hear that others have had the same experiences, to be honest. I mean, it's certainly not pleasant but at least I know I'm not alone!

FLEABttn

Banned
Oh yeah, started last year. I had never had a panic attack before and then had 3 within a 12 month period. Caffeine made me feel terrible and pushed my muscle tension into the deep end, causing (or at least highly influencing) about 18 months of chronic pain and bladder issues. I can't drink any now, not even decaf (still has too much in it). The most I can do is whatever latent amount is naturally in chocolate.

Coffee is sadly gone, as I drank that for the flavor and not the caffeine buzz. So is caffeinated soda and green/black tea. I make do with water, tonic water, and red and herbal tea.

clem84

Gold Member
A few years ago, in a matter of a few days, I began feeling this huge pain in my abdomen followed by symptoms similar to a heart attack, struggling for air, extremely rapid heartbeat, feeling like I was gonna pass out., etc... Doctors ran a bunch of tests and couldn't find anything wrong with me. This went on for a while. Sometimes it would happen to me and I would think back at what I ate, drank in the days prior to the incident. Coffee always seemed to make things worse.

Anyway, long story short, I have just about the worst intestines in the world. A doctor told me I had Irritable bowel syndrome. My intestines are extremely sensitive to caffeine, and, to make matters worse, pretty much anything that has even a small amount of sugar in it. If I eat those, then in the next few days I end up feeling bloated and having huge pain in my abdomen, to the point where I'm shaking and sweating all over because the pain is so bad, which is than followed by a bowel movement.

I used to be a huge coffee drinker in my 20s and I absolutely loved the taste of it, but I can't drink it anymore and I'm aware that this is pretty much a life long thing. But it's not only that, I can't eat anything with sugar in it. Try to imagine this for a second. No honey or jam for breakfast, no raisin bread, no cereals, no fruits that have too much sugar in them like bananas (they make me feel like crap), no yogurt. And quite obviously, no cookies, ice cream, chocolate or any kind of junk food loaded with sugar. Not even a slice of cake for my birthday, I kid you not. Last time I ate a slice of cake I paid the price dearly the following day.

I'm not trying to belittle your problem OP, just saying that I know exactly what you're going through.

Browny

Banned
I had a similar (but not as harsh) experience. When I was 21, I started to get bad headaches, which eventually spiraled into migraines. It came to a head one evening, where I was in actual mental pain (that sounds weird) and I was unable to move the entire left hand side of my body. A trip to the emergency room and an injection (in the arsecheek, nice) later, the pain had subsided.

I was advised to cut out lots of different things - caffeine, chocolate, citrus, alcohol, some other minor things - and re-introduce one at a time to see what affects me. Because of this, I now know that I can't have normal coffee - just the smell is enough to give me a headache. Also, orange juice is off the menu, as are orange fruits and their relatives - same problem.

But I can have tea, cola, chocolate, lemons and limes, all fine. Strange. I hope you find a decent balance and adapt, OP.

At the time I had lots of tests. They couldn't find anything wrong with me at all. Which in a way is good - no serious illness. But it did lead to months of confusion and fear.

I suspect - having read the thread and my thoughts in the years since - that lack of sleep, a stressful relationship at the time and caffeine combined to set me off into a combination of acid reflux and anxiety disorder.

Komo

Banned
A few years ago, in a matter of a few days, I began feeling this huge pain in my abdomen followed by symptoms similar to a heart attack, struggling for air, extremely rapid heartbeat, feeling like I was gonna pass out., etc... Doctors ran a bunch of tests and couldn't find anything wrong with me. This went on for a while. Sometimes it would happen to me and I would think back at what I ate, drank in the days prior to the incident. Coffee always seemed to make things worse.

Anyway, long story short, I have just about the worst intestines in the world. A doctor told me I had Irritable bowel syndrome. My intestines are extremely sensitive to caffeine, and, to make matters worse, pretty much anything that has even a small amount of sugar in it. If I eat those, then in the next few days I end up feeling bloated and having huge pain in my abdomen, to the point where I'm shaking and sweating all over because the pain is so bad, which is than followed by a bowel movement.

I used to be a huge coffee drinker in my 20s and I absolutely loved the taste of it, but I can't drink it anymore and I'm aware that this is pretty much a life long thing. But it's not only that, I can't eat anything with sugar in it. Try to imagine this for a second. No honey or jam for breakfast, no raisin bread, no cereals, no fruits that have too much sugar in them like bananas (they make me feel like crap), no yogurt. And quite obviously, no cookies, ice cream, chocolate or any kind of junk food loaded with sugar. Not even a slice of cake for my birthday, I kid you not. Last time I ate a slice of cake I paid the price dearly the following day.

I'm not trying to belittle your problem OP, just saying that I know exactly what you're going through.

Oh gosh, that sounds absolutely terrible. I'm really sorry to hear that. :(
At least you seem like you're handling it pretty nicely. Since you actively avoid sugar in such a way, I'm curious to know. What kind of meals do you usually have? Also, how do you manage to keep your blood sugar up?

Badosh

I feel ya OP. If I have too much caffeine, I'll start to get panicy as well. What's worse is my body takes forever to start to feel bad. Earlier in the summer, I had three or four mountain dews at a party and felt like utter shit the rest of it. But, the panic and not-myself feeling (I'm assuming some derealization, maybe DP) didn't go away for another week or so.

My GF just recently went through something similar and she was a coffee fanatic but she has completely cut it out of her diet because of her panic attacks.

Dunno what to tell you TC, but its probably a good thing that you are getting rid of these things ESPECIALLY those horrible goddamn energy drinks.

Mr.Pink

Neo Member
I used to get skull crushing head fucking eye splitting migraines as a teenager. Runs in the family and happens around puberty. After puberty they happen for as long as you live but not as frequently. At least that's what my happened to my old man and my siblings.

However I've only just recently put a few things together. I was a fucking fiend for energy drinks as a teenager. I've never enjoyed tea or coffee so never drank those. A few years ago I got on a health kick and cut out all fizzy drinks immediately. Which was hard as hell because that shit is scrumpious and addictive.

But the migraines stopped. All my siblings drink tea and they get migraines occasionally. My dad drinks a metric buttload of coffee and he gets migraines periodically. Caffeine sucks fat dick OP. You're better off without it.

Cut it all out OP, all the bad shit. Caffeine, sweets, chocolate, fast food, alcohol. Get to the gym and free yourself from vices. None of that stuff does you any favours.

Or don't, it is up to you really, whatever makes you happy. Hope your anxiety issues go away <3

BPoole

Anybody else like me and pretty much immune to caffeine?

I used to drink 8-10 sodas a day and caffeine had zero effect on me at the time. I cut soda out of my diet two years ago and even now coffee doesn't even have thta much of an effect on me

clem84

Gold Member
Oh gosh, that sounds absolutely terrible. I'm really sorry to hear that. :(
At least you seem like you're handling it pretty nicely. Since you actively avoid sugar in such a way, I'm curious to know. What kind of meals do you usually have? Also, how do you manage to keep your blood sugar up?

I've learned to live with it so it's not so bad anymore. :)

Strangely enough the blood sugar thing has never been a problem. I had a few tests done in the past few years and it always came back fine. As far as what kind of meals I have, basically pasta (wheat pasta or the kind that doesn't have much sugar in them), rice, whole wheat bread, different kinds of meat, lots of vegetables. I drink mostly water and sometimes tea. Tea hasn't shown to be bad for me so far so I'll have a cup of green tea every now and then. It's not easy making a no sugar diet without having the feeling that you're always eating the same things, but it's doable.

Komo

Banned
I laughed at "passionate about coffee"

Well, it had become somewhat of a hobby shortly before the mess started.
I'd recently gotten a coffee maker, and I was experimenting with different beans, brews, etc. I really enjoyed it, tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom