• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preload ruined my gaming life forever...

ethomaz

Banned
Destiny is my first preloaded game and my first non-retail preorder.

But it giving me on nerves because now I have the game in my console and I can't play it. I left the countdown showing in my HDTV for more than half a hour just thinking about how O'm hating to wait my preloaded game be ready.

It is painful.

I know the game is inside my PS4 and that makes me sad.

How do you feel about the preload wait?

Edit - WTF is that time zone release... it will be close to 4am to me.... I need to wake up to work at 7am do I will just play it at 5pm... dammit.

But it giving me on nerves because now I have the game in my console and I can't play it. I left the countdown showing in my HDTV for more than half a hour just thinking about how O'm hating to wait my preloaded game be ready.

It is painful.

I think there are a few files that download at midnight on release date. So it's not all there.

Xander51

To me it's always exciting because it means the game is actually a real thing and not just an idea.

It is painful.

Even if you could force it to run the servers might not even be active. I know how it feels though. If I pre-load on PC I VPN my way in with you guys from the far West on Tuesday. Get sick of waiting for Friday here in the UK for no good reason at all.

Magwik

Banned
It's even worse when you have to wait an extra 3 hours (because time zone bullshit) for your game to unlock while retail buyers will be playing.
;-;

Mohasus

My first pre-load was MGR:R for PC, then I found out I have to decrypt those files later and it takes a fuckin long time and I had no space left in my SSD.

Now I just wait a little before release to start downloading the game.

But imagine. 3:00am EST hits *tear * and instead of hitting the download button and watching a bar fill up a millimeter at a time you can instead hit the Play button and get the same errors as the physical folk coming home with their midnight launch disk.

Glorious!

Oh and the 3:00am thing is dumb as hell

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You have to have a positive mindset for one. I've been digital for a few years now and it feels a little weird to be honest. I remember being excited to go to the store at midnight or go to GameStop and now I don't even need to bother.

You don't need to mess with receipts, parking, waiting in line, or making sure they have a game in stock. It's much better. I've posted today and my Destiny preload is finished. All I got to do is wait. All I'm waiting for is the unlock. You can get more done in your day if you switch to digital.

18 GB out of 21 GB isn't bad. I wait for what 3 more GB?

ethomaz

Banned
Why the hell would you leave a countdown on your TV?
I don't know... I tried to start the game the countdown showed and I left it there without any will to play other game.

Weird but that happened.

Maybe depression lol

Korosenai

Mine will unlock at 2 am, so im just going to wake up early the next day. I dont have to stay up late for a midnight launch, and I don't have to drive anywhere the next day to buy it and then install it..... I can just wake up and start playing right away.

I love pre loading.

iNvid02

fLSNFlE.png

ethomaz

Banned
I think it is just because I was used to wait the download and play after that this preload felt disappointing.

epmode

I remember making my first GAF post about a pre-load back when Half-Life 2 was in development. Good times.

todd360

Is there a good explanation for why we people in est timezone can't play at midnight? It just seems like a very strange business practice. Who is benefiting from me not being able to play until 3 am?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think it is just because I was used to wait the download and play after that this preload felt disappointing.

You're probably going to miss the plastic wrap. Busting off the wrap, hearing the sound of the case open, the cards or whatever fall out, and then you put the disc in and it boots. This is much smoother. You literally wait till it's complete, press a button to start the game, and that's it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Did any company explained why the fuck its not 12PM EST? Makes no god damn sense. Totally defeats the purpose of pre-loading. I could just walk into a store at 12 and come home in 20min, installation takes extra 1hr? it would still be earlier than 3AM.

Seriously, if there is anything technical and which makes sense then it wouldn't make it sound so annoying. But this shit right there, is fucking bullshit.

Pre-loading is literally one of the only advantages there is to pre-ordering digitally. The game downloads a few remaining files at launch and you can play. No need to go out, travel to a brick n' mortar store, wait in lines or any of that. Honestly it's a pretty asinine thing to complain about.

Bluth54

Did any company explained why the fuck its not 12PM EST? Makes no god damn sense. Totally defeats the purpose of pre-loading. I could just walk into a store at 12 and come home in 20min, installation takes extra 1hr? it would still be earlier than 3AM.

Seriously, if there is anything technical and which makes sense then it wouldn't make it sound so annoying. But this shit right there, is fucking bullshit.

Lots of preloads on Steam unlock at midnight eastern time, which is an hour early for me since I'm in central time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You Americans (and some other countries) need to get better internet connection speeds. I don't even think about this stuff, because nothing takes very long to download anyway. So preloading is basically useless for me. Waiting a few minutes isn't really a big deal. I realize some of you just don't have the option of getting a decent broadband plan, and well, my thoughts are with you.

memo_rx

Neo Member
You will survive. You can play tons of games in the meanwhile, anyway you played the beta I assume so you know how the first hours will roll.

Top Bottom