• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preload ruined my gaming life forever...

m00h

Banned
Actually, I don't like preloading at all. I remember the glorious times of going to the store instead of school early in the morning to get a game, and then going back home with a great amount of excitement and also skipping a few days of school afterwards. Also skipping sleep and going to university or work, absolutely exhausted but happy at the same time. DD kinda changed that behavior for me.

SerTapTap

Preload is great, if it were a normal digital only release you'd be doing the same thing AND waiting for the download to finish. I don't see how that's any better. Much worse actually, because suddenly instead of trying to play it ASAP, you're desperately trying to start the download earlier, and every moment you waste before starting the download is an extra minute you wait downloading.

antitrop

I got used to it in 2004 with Half-Life 2. I'm a 10 year pre-loading vet.

The day Half-Life 2 came out was the worst day ever for Steam.

Fuck everything about trying to get the game to activate. Nothing but error messages all day, I remember I spent most of the day complaining on GameFAQs.

I had a retail copy, but couldn't get the key to activate until pretty late in the afternoon. Steam was so terrible back in the day.

The day Half-Life 2 came out was the worst day ever for Steam.

Fuck everything about trying to get the game to activate. Nothing but error messages all day, I remember I spent most of the day complaining on GameFAQs.

So, just another day at GameFAQs?

Windforce

Preload is an awesome feature, too much drama from the op.

Wouldn't it be far worse to only be able to start the download on release day?

The Llama

The only thing I hate about preloading is it makes me hate retail because if it wasn't for them there'd be 0 reason I couldn't play it now.

Bsigg12

I'm pretty sure that's what's up.

Well, they're up now as some outlets have shown pictures of them playing the game on the Vita. It's a worldwide release on Tuesday so I expect them to be up Monday morning at the latest for New Zealand.

Physical retail is still the best.
I just go pick it up at midnight, or when I get off of work.

Now that all games require an install, having it preloaded and receiving updates prior to Tuesday is beneficial HOWEVER the 12am PDT thing sucks. From what it sounds like, that's a publisher decision since we've seen other games go up at 12am EDT.

I don't know what the problem is here really. How can something like this make you feel sad? First world problems? In any case it's the same as when you preorder a game and it's in the mail/in the shop/discs gone gold etc. the game is there and ready you just have to wait for it to arrive.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Drastically misleading title. I expected a story of how preloading a game made you miss your anniversary and that was the final straw for your significant other, and this caused a rift in your marriage that could never be fixed and led to a divorce. She got everything, and the whole ordeal drove you into a deep depression.

BasilZero

Destiny is my first preloaded game and my first non-retail preorder.

But it giving me on nerves because now I have the game in my console and I can't play it. I left the countdown showing in my HDTV for more than half a hour just thinking about how O'm hating to wait my preloaded game be ready.

It is painful.

I know the game is inside my PS4 and that makes me sad.

How do you feel about the preload wait?

Edit - WTF is that time zone release... it will be close to 4am to me.... I need to wake up to work at 7am do I will just play it at 5pm... dammit.

Don't worry - just play gran turismo while you wait ;p

system11

Physical: I bought this item on release day
Digital: I bought a license to some data on release day
Preload: I bought a license to some data I'm not allowed until release day

I have a question since I don't buy digitally if physical exists - are you charged at the time of pre-order? if so it's the worst thing you can possibly do since you're allowing the company to earn interest on your money while you could be doing it.

I have a question since I don't buy digitally if physical exists - are you charged at the time of pre-order? if so it's the worst thing you can possibly do since you're allowing the company to earn interest on your money while you could be doing it.

The earliest a digital game is up for pre-order is about a week before hand. At the standard savings rate of 3.5% interest per annum you would earn ~2.8 cents for that week on $60. I don't know about you but I'm happy to pay 2.8 cents to be able to play the game as soon as midnight hits instead of going to the store and picking it up then having to install off the disk.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Physical: I bought this item on release day
Digital: I bought a license to some data on release day
Preload: I bought a license to some data I'm not allowed until release day

I've already paid for Bloodborne. There is someone on here who bought the entire E3 lineup digitally. I forgot who it was, but that's quite a wait. They charge you the day you preorder it. I don't give a s**t. I want the game(s) regardless. Now I know it's paid off. It's the same as if you used layaway at Kmart or GameStop. Do it if you want to own it. When you go to Kmart and use their Layaway or Walmart, you know you want the product, so you don't need to worry about it.

You know your game sits in a UPS box that travels hundreds of miles or in other cases it sits in the back until you pay for it. This way I own the product period. We haven't really seen a service of systems shut down with digital downloads. That's a mystery right there. Direct2Drive shut down, but all their digital titles went to GameFly.

Oh good lord. Really? I thought the _______ preload is active threads were bad but this is just absurd.

Your gaming life isn't ruined. This level of hyperbole is simply stupid.

Aeqvitas

For me it is no different than knowing that the game has been sitting at gamestop or the amazon warehouse for like 2 weeks.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
For me it is no different than knowing that the game has been sitting at gamestop or the amazon warehouse for like 2 weeks.

Every single person in this world treats video games differently. I don't think everyone agrees, but it's safe to say it's not going to completely destroy your enjoyment.

ethomaz

Banned
Don't worry - just play gran turismo while you wait ;p
I will do that my friend... ohhhh and I'm playing Tales of Xillia too.

But the countdown is killing me... sitting on retail seems like the game is not in my hands and there is no countdown.

I know I need to get used to preload.

Top Bottom