• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X for 3DS sells so well that Square-Enix halts sales because of demand

Mr. RPG

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/0...emporarily-stop-dragon-quest-x-3ds-shipments/

"Square Enix is halting shipments of Dragon Quest X for Nintendo 3DS in Japan. The game sold well and the initial batch sold out in less than one week, but the huge influx of players lead to problems with the 3DS version.

Unlike Dragon Quest X for Wii, Wii U or PC, Dragon Quest X for Nintendo 3DS uses cloud servers to stream the game to players. With so many players online, especially during peak hours (7PM to midnight), players are having a hard time logging in to the game. Those that can get online have had issues playing Dragon Quest X and freezing game shipments will ameliorate server load issues for existing players. Dragon Quest X for Nintendo 3DS has also been removed from the Nintendo eShop in Japan too."

L~A

Dragon Quest X for Nintendo 3DS has also been removed from the Nintendo eShop in Japan too."

It's never been on the Nintendo eShop to begin with, unless you got a code from the 3DS XL promotion.

But yeah, that's quite the spin from Siliconera... can't say I'm surprised, though :p

I'm used to bad MMO launches, but they've already launched this game three times before. Even using this streaming method too. Amazed how unprepared they are.

This wouldn't of happened if there was a offline single player mode!

J/K

:p

Glad it's doing well. This just further proves where the market is in Japan for gaming.

8cpL4tj.png

So many satisfied customers.

Onesimos

I knew that something must go wrong with the 3DS version. The streaming problem is just a warning on developers who choose to stream their games.

Painguy

I don't understand how this game works. Like are you literally streaming a video from SE's servers to your 3DS?

Wouldn't that lead to sub par image quality? I mean it must be compressed to hell right? Are there any screens and videos?
They did the exact same thing when they ported it to mobile first and people didn't seem too unhappy with it. Reusing that mobile tech is probably the reason they turned it around so quickly and launched it on 3DS within a few months.

As far as IQ is concerned, it's very dependent on infrastructure: as long as you have a solid Internet connection and local datacenters, there's no reason for it not to work. People have been complaining about font resolution but I don't know if this is because of streaming or because of the port being done too quickly to a console with a low res.

Had no idea.

So you don't really own the game. Such is MMOs.
If there's a genre where the streaming approach doesn't shock me, it's MMOs. You had to rely on accessing servers in the first place. They've always been more about the service/subscription than buying/owning a physical game.

studyguy

They did the same thing to XIV temporarily to beef the servers. Shit was crashing left and right after launch when it turned out people wanted to actually play the relaunch... a lot of people.

Worked out in the end there. SE seems to low ball their servers for MMOs hard till they actually need them. I assume it's just due to expected fall off after launch.

Painguy

They did the exact same thing when they ported it to mobile first and people didn't seem too unhappy with it. Reusing that mobile tech is probably the reason they turned it around so quickly and launched it on 3DS within a few months.

As far as IQ is concerned, it's very dependent on infrastructure: as long as you have a solid Internet connection and local datacenters, there's no reason for it not to work. People have been complaining about font resolution but I don't know if this is because of streaming or because of the port being done too quickly to a console with a low res.

Interesting I guess I'll take a look at the mobile version to get a general idea.

Top Bottom