• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X for 3DS sells so well that Square-Enix halts sales because of demand

Rocky

Banned
I'm very curious to know how much of the sales were to existing subscribers and how many were new subscriptions.

Semajer

If the response is so positive do you think they will do a port on n3DS that runs on the actual hardware instead of streaming?

Piccoro

I don't understand how this game works. Like are you literally streaming a video from SE's servers to your 3DS?

More like, you are streaming the PC version of DQX to your 3DS.
You play remotely a game that is installed in SE's servers.

Nordicus

I think the last time I saw this was with Guild Wars 2 in 2012. Sales were halted until the servers calmed down.

Hasn't there been another game that did that between then and now?

bobawesome

Sub par IQ in a 3DS title?!

Unfathomable, says I.

You rascal, you.

tumblr_m56bbd6Imd1r1vq2i.gif

Grunkle

Banned
here comes the Ninty hater..again -_-
I'm still surprised you are still not banned yet again..

What was wrong with his post? If anything, you and Chindogg should be banned for backseat modding.

On Topic: Is the 3DS version an actual cart? Or is it just a code in the box?

extralite

They can't even handle the game when they have small shipment? SE need better servers lol

Low could mean several things depending on what your expectations are and what you compare it too.

The thing with this game is, there will be people who just play to beat the story and then stop. And there will be permanent subscribers. If we assume (for convenience's sake) that sales would be frontloaded and half of players stop after the 60 free days. Then SE would be sitting on 50 % unused cloud servers after 60 days.

So for SE it makes sense to stagger sales over a longer period of time to use server capacity for leaving players on new players.

This is my informed guess, I don't actually know what SE's plan for this version is. The actual percentages may vary but definitely not all players will become permanent subscribers.

Sounds exactly like the FFXIV: ARR launch.

Servers basically catching fire from the demand. Took them a month or two to completely figure it.

Low could mean several things depending on what your expectations are and what you compare it too.

The thing with this game is, there will be people who just play to beat the story and then stop. And there will be permanent subscribers. If we assume (for convenience's sake) that sales would be frontloaded and half of players stop after the 60 free days. Then SE would be sitting on 50 % unused cloud servers after 60 days.

So for SE it makes sense to stagger sales over a longer period of time to use server capacity for leaving players on new players.

This is my informed guess, I don't actually know what SE's plan for this version is. The actual percentages may vary but definitely not all players will become permanent subscribers.

I am sure loss of sales will be more than servers costs. Worst come to worst, SE can sell the servers. They can't get people to buy the game known to be bad.

extralite

I am sure loss of sales will be more than servers costs. Worst come to worst, SE can sell the servers. They can't get people to buy the game known to be bad.

The game is known to be good. It has been on the market for two years and has topped a million even before this version.

The low Amazon reviews cry over the bad cloud performance, not over the game being bad. Actually some of the worst criticism comes from people who are also playing one of the other versions.

The game is known to be good. It has been on the market for two years and has topped a million even before this version.

The low Amazon reviews cry over the bad cloud performance, not over the game being bad. Actually some of the worst criticism comes from people who are also playing the other versions.

The bad I mean is what you have said, poor streaming performance lol.

fedexpeon

Banned
SE did the right thing.
Halting sales will allow them to adjust/improve their service for the current owners, while giving them time to expand their servers afterward for new players.

extralite

The bad I mean is what you have said, poor streaming performance lol.

The streaming performance is likely bad because of insufficient server capacity. The streaming versions already have the highest sub fees, SE most likely is weighing cost of establishing servers versus maintainable sub income. It is easy to say they should just fund the servers but if that won't be profitable what is the point of selling a lot of copies?

It was? What is your source for that?

I'm not challenging the idea that the shipment was low, just that it was actually reported.

It was mentioned somewhere in the MC thread but I guess proven with the rankings and first day sell through info (40pts and 80% sell through).

KiTA

One thing I don't think Square Enix realizes is how many people are playing DQX on the Japanese data servers despite being in other countries. From what I understand it plays just fine despite this.

If they took that part out of the equation -- having to get US / EU specific data servers, and just considered the localization and support aspects (Something they could borrow from FF11/FF14's infrastructure), I wonder if DQX US/EU becomes more feasible.

KiTA

4 actually, Wii, WiiU, PC and now 3DS.

5 or 6 actually -- Wii, WiiU, PC, 3DS, Android, IOS. Although I'm not sure about which of the last two is correct -- it's a specific cell company's service.

What's this about 2 PC versions?

extralite

What's this about 2 PC versions?

All versions required you to make a SE account to play. Apparently they thought that might be a hurdle for some people to try it so they made a yahoo version where you can use your existing yahoo account, no need to make a SE one. The yahoo PC version has several other differences as well, like no easy switching to other versions.

Top Bottom