• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

I'm waiting for Shin Megami Tensei: Appalachia.

Appalachian Folk Lore + Demons + Japanese Weirdness = highly interesting :D

I've been playing through Nocturne and it rocks. Tried DDS1 a year ago for about 5 hours and it was pretty good. I think we should see a slew of RPG's next gen with non-standard settings. If they can't reivent the RPG to play differently then they should at least come up with some new settings to keep the genre alive.

persona-2.png

I love these games. Most jrpgs fell off for me this gen, I used to be clamoring for a new Grandia or Tales game, but I'm tired of the same group of optimistic kids out to save the world with your lost sisters magic pendant. The megaten games feel like the late night anime of old, Wicked City, Psycho Diver, Biohunter, stuff like that.

I'd love for some impressions of Devil Summoner :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sugarman said:
persona-2.png

I love these games. Most jrpgs fell off for me this gen, I used to be clamoring for a new Grandia or Tales game, but I'm tired of the same group of optimistic kids out to save the world with your lost sisters magic pendant. The megaten games feel like the late night anime of old, Wicked City, Psycho Diver, Biohunter, stuff like that.

I'd love for some impressions of Devil Summoner :D

+1 for Kawajiri love. I agree with this. MegaTen games are very quality, but tend to feel rough, gritty, even dirty in a way. Which is refreshing when so many RPGs tend to be very "clean." Neither is wrong, but MegaTen is fresh air to me.

Fifty

I love these games. They're the only RPGs that really feel fresh these days. In fact, I'm just about to start playing through Noctourne for the second time. I love the atmosphere and depth of that game.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

Appalachian Folk Lore + Demons + Japanese Weirdness = highly interesting :D

This sounds awesome. Kaneko, are you listening? ;)

Anyway, much love to MegaTen. Battles are (almost) always fun and I like the atmosphere and mythological references. Looking forward to the new Devil Summoner.

The only SMT game I've played is DDS2 but I really love it. One thing I really like about it is that it eschews many RPG conventions such as ten minute long cutscenes, world maps, and hundreds of pointless side quests in favor of a more streamlined approach. In short, DDS2 gets straight to the fucking point. I thought I had gotten sick of turn-based RPGs but the Press Turn system in DDS2 is nothing short of brilliant. Simple, fast-paced, and a ton of fun. I found copies of both DDS1 and Nocturne at EBGames but I didn't have the money to get them and won't have it for another two weeks or so. I hope they're still by then.:(

Himuro said:
I would give out music samples but I don't know if that's allowed...the soundtrack came with the game, but unless a mod or someone gives the go ahead I won't supply music samples..which is something that makes these games even more unique: the music. Why don't other rpgs have rock/techno tracks like this? The brooding atmosphere and some of the songs in SMTN sound like something you'd hear in fucking Silent Hill.

That's one of the best parts of the series. It's one of the few RPG's that doesn't try to have a big orchestrated sounding soundtrack. I guess a big part of it is that they often take place in modern settings so you go get the jazz, Jpop, rock, techno ect songs.

SolidSnakex said:
That's one of the best parts of the series. It's one of the few RPG's that doesn't try to have a big orchestrated sounding soundtrack. I guess a big part of it is that they often take place in modern settings so you go get the jazz, Jpop, rock, techno ect songs.
Battle for Survival and Egg Facility (first run through) rock my socks.

daemonic

Banned
I've only played the SMT games on the PS2, and of course loved them to death. Where can I find more info about the others?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I wish Innocent Sin would get a remake/release here in the US. Pair it up with Eternal Punishment for the full Persona 2 story. =D

FnordChan

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Appalachian Folk Lore + Demons + Japanese Weirdness = highly interesting

Quick, someone at Atlas contact Manly Wade Wellman's estate and license John the Balladeer!

FnordChan

Ceb

Does DDS really look as good as it does in that first pic of the field screen? Overall, is the world less deserted than it is in Nocturne?

Ceb

So Nocturne is less about dungeon crawling, yet it has a really high encounter rate to "balance" things out? =/

I think I'll just wait for Devil Summoner before I get into Atlus RPGs.

Greenpanda said:
This sounds awesome. Kaneko, are you listening? ;)

Anyway, much love to MegaTen. Battles are (almost) always fun and I like the atmosphere and mythological references. Looking forward to the new Devil Summoner.

Seriously, I think Appalachian folklore could be great in a variety of game genre's. The standard JRPG formula, Shenmue formula, Resident Evil/Silent Hill formula, Point and Click adventure titles, etc.....

Appalachian/Southern folklore is a vast untapped fantasy resource my friends.

Thanks Himuro for reminding me how fantastic the art in these games are. I think I'm going to see if my mother will let me borrow the money to get at least Nocturne and pay her back later.

Himuro said:
Are there any more SMT3 trailers out there? The one with Dante makes the game seem kinda irrelevent because there's so much cooler stuff going on than Dante. I'd like to have the 2 opening movies that's for sure.
Link to the original Japanese trailer/intro for SMT3 HERE , Mirror

Here's the attract movie. HERE

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I <3 SMT. I still enjoy Persona 2 more than SMT3, though. I think it's the setting and story I enjoy more. Regardless, I'm totally pumped for Persona 3.

I'm still only 3/4 through Nocturne. I really need to finish it at some point. Too many games, right now, though. :|

Tony HoTT

Banned
nocturne_040204_021.jpg

Stupid fucking trumpeter. Took so long for me to kill. I never died on him but I'm pretty sure I fought him for a good 1.5 hours before I figured him out.

Tarazet

I have an Atlus bumper sticker on the back of my car because of this game. I was blasting the Nocturne soundtrack on the way home today, too. :lol

NotMSRP

Himuro said:
Thanks! That Japanese opening is completey different from ours. It has the same music and intro but once it gets down to the content, it's completely different. I think I prefer our version.

The other opening (which I have always LOVED) is the same exact thing. :)

That intro is the SMT3 regular edition (no Dante or Fiends). There is a new intro made for the SMT3 Nocturne version which is the same for both JP and US versions (Dante & Fiends). Probably same for the PAL version too.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Systems_id said:
nocturne_040204_023.jpg

I just realized this is supposed to be the Whore of Babylon. Creepy.
yeah I love how this game has a lot of mythological shit in it, it just adds to it's cool factor. it has the Seraphim(sp?) (highest order of angels) the four horsemen of the Apocalypse and so on.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I finally beat DQ8 so now its finally time to jump into this series head on... First up, DDS1!

Reilly

Anyone have a link to download that "Danger" song from the DDS trailer? I thought I read that Atlus offered the song for free on their site when the game came out but it's obviosuly not up anymore :(

Tachikoma

Banned
Reilly said:
Anyone have a link to download that "Danger" song from the DDS trailer? I thought I read that Atlus offered the song for free on their site when the game came out but it's obviosuly not up anymore :(
Eh.. I thought the original song was a bit better, myself. It's good that Atlus chose not to change Avatar Tuner 2's intro song.

VALIS

Easily my favorite RPG series the last two gens and one of the few RPG series that not only doesn't have a hackneyed storyline aimed at 14-year olds, but the narrative is actually good. A sense of humor (Personna games, anyway), intelligent apocalyptic horror, avoids many of the typical JRPG cliches, hurray SMT!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
As much as I loved SMT3, I just can't help but feel disappointed by it in some ways. Mostly the demon only parties I think. And while I haven't completed the original SMT, I thought the story up until where I played was much better.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Spoilers for SMT1 & 2, I guess. Avoid the post if you're a stickler for story stuff.

Himuro said:
What I like is that it doesn't shove it in your face like with the Xeno games. But that can't be said about the earlier games apparently..

The older games in the main Megaten series (Shin Megami Tensei 1, Shin Megami Tensei 2) did not "shove [religion] in your face," but they did include figures from assorted religions who played a much bigger role in the overall story (in comparison to SMT3 and the DDS games). Two of the most prominent individuals were YHVH and Lucifer from the Judeo-Christian beliefs. YHVH was not depicted in the best of lights; he came off as a cold and merciless entity that demanded order and submission from his followers, willingly bringing about worldwide nuclear holocaust and flooding the world in order to wipe out the non-believers. Lucifer was shown to be a freedom fighter-ish figure who promoted free will, yet his ideals would've lead to a world where the strong dominated the weak.

So in the first two games, you could make decisions that would shift your alignment towards Law (YHVH) or Chaos (Lucifer). There was also a third path, that of neutrality, but this path was the bloodiest and most challenging in both games, not just because you'd have to try and balance your alignment so that it didn't dip too far on either end, but you would also have to fight people on both sides (normally, if you fully aligned yourself with one side, you'd avoid a couple of boss fights). SMT1 & 2 are still my favourite RPGs, and despite 3 being an excellent game, its removal of some key aspects of the Megaten series still irks me. I did appreciate the new role for Lucifer though.

The Devil Summoner games are a lot closer to SMT1 & 2 than the Persona series. They basically retain the key aspects of the main series (1st person perspective, Magnetite usage, a female partner who uses magic, Hero wielding a melee weapon & a gun), but their stories are less apocalyptic (at least initially), and the human characters are given more personality and exposure. The demon conversations and negotiations aspect were greatly enhanced in both Devil Summoner & Soul Hackers (much to the horror of fans who don't read enough Japanese), but the addition of the [broken] loyalty system pretty much ruined Devil Summoner. Thankfully, its reappearance in Soul Hackers was completely retooled and made much more manageable. Soul Hackers also introduced the fan favourite Nemissa, although I'm still partial to Reireiho from DS. :)

If we have any more Megaten fans around here who could go into more details about the games or have corrections about anything I've said (or would like to debate Chaos vs Law vs Neutral), please chime in. I'm far from being an expert on these games.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Reilly said:

Yeah, this song is great... nice to see D&B finally make an emergence in RPGs - and whoever wrote that they preferred the rock/ambient electronic soundtrack over your typical symphonic style RPG music (Himuro?) was right on the money. Most RPG soundtracks just blend together in their generic-ness nowadays (I blame Sakuraba!) so its nice to see a developer doing something different.

Played DDS1 all this weekend, just died on
Atavaka, guarding the exit to Manipura
and stopped, will pick it up a bit later. I like this series so much because it reminds me of those classic FC/SFC era RPGs that are all about combat, building up, and hacking through massive dungeons.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Himuro said:
I tried out SMT1 and I like it. The first person view really works in 2d. I've never played a 2d game in first person (sorry Wolfenstein and Doom fans!) so it's pretty amazing to me. I'll go back and finish it sometime. Just wanted to try it out.

It's just as dark and fucked up sometimes. There was some dude on a cross from what I remember. You start the game in some labrynth that reminds me of the Amala dungeons in SMT3.
SMT1 is on the hardest RPGs I've ever played, I liked SMT2 a lot more.the story is very good the music is great and the game while challenging is not impossible

Tamanon

Banned
Katsuya was the fucking man.

Persona 2 was definitely my favorite PSOne game, just such a great style and the game itself was pretty freakin' deep and extensive.

Mudo

DDS and SMTN have been some of the highlights of the gen for me. In the midst of all the jrpg crap that I end up buying, these have been something truly different. Dark, evil, moody storylines are just so much better than all this cheery-my-little-pony-save-the-world-then-eat-ice-cream shit I've had to wade thru these past few years.

/APPRECIATE

Tarazet

Reilly said:
well, I own the game and the soundtrack, it's still sealed though. I wasn't being serious anyway.

If you want a copy of the soundtrack to listen to, order something off of Atlus' store website, they'll send it along with the game for free. (That doesn't apply to CafePress stuff though.) Maybe you can get a guide to go with that ingot of solid gold you have.

Reilly

sonarrat said:
If you want a copy of the soundtrack to listen to, order something off of Atlus' store website, they'll send it along with the game for free. (That doesn't apply to CafePress stuff though.) Maybe you can get a guide to go with that ingot of solid gold you have.
I said I already own the thing. I believe the song "Danger" was offered for free when the game came out.

Tarazet

Reilly said:
I said I already own the thing. I believe the song "Danger" was offered for free when the game came out.

You also said it's sealed.. which means you can't listen to it ever, right? :p

Tachikoma

Banned
The free "soundtracks" that came with domestic preorders of this gen's MegaTen are garbage. They're far from complete. You're better off importing the full, original soundtracks.

Top Bottom