• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

Kaworu

PAL DDS Preorder Extras!:

Pre-order SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI™: DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA™ on Playstation™ 2 before midnight on 31st May 2006 and you will get the limited edition DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA™ pack for £29.99. This includes -
The game - SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI™: DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA™ on Playstation™ 2 - delivered on or just before the European release of the game on 30th June 2006.
Your version of DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA™ will be in a rare game box design not available in the shops.
A DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA™ grey Embryon T-shirt featuring Serphs unique styling. This will be posted to you in advance of the release of the game.
The right to swear allegiance to one of the uniquely different six factions within DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA™ and have your name listed in the game's manual which will be sold across Europe, Africa and Australasia.
The limited edition DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA™ pack is only available from this website and is only available to customers who pre-order the pack before midnight of 31st May 2006. All payments for pre-orders will be processed when the T-shirts are despatched. The game will be posted for delivery on or just before the release date of 30th June 2006.

PD:http://www.ghostlight.uk.com/product_info.php?prod=3

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Kaworu said:
PAL DDS Preorder Extras!:

Pre-order SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI™: DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA™ on Playstation™ 2 before midnight on 31st May 2006 and you will get the limited edition DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA™ pack for £29.99. This includes -
The game - SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI™: DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA™ on Playstation™ 2 - delivered on or just before the European release of the game on 30th June 2006.
Your version of DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA™ will be in a rare game box design not available in the shops.
A DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA™ grey Embryon T-shirt featuring Serphs unique styling. This will be posted to you in advance of the release of the game.
The right to swear allegiance to one of the uniquely different six factions within DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA™ and have your name listed in the game's manual which will be sold across Europe, Africa and Australasia.
The limited edition DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA™ pack is only available from this website and is only available to customers who pre-order the pack before midnight of 31st May 2006. All payments for pre-orders will be processed when the T-shirts are despatched. The game will be posted for delivery on or just before the release date of 30th June 2006.

PD:http://www.ghostlight.uk.com/product_info.php?prod=3

splooge!splooge!splooge!!! fuck yes! fuck yes! I never get these pre-order extras, DDS pre-order for the fucking win!!!!!

DDS for life suckas!

does it say how many pre-orders? I can't see it... I suck.. :( please tell me... aderaline rush... *breahe*

Emotions

Himuro said:
Yeah, pretty much. They're the best publisher out there imo, but I"m not going to get every game they publish (metal arms).

There are some stinkers here and there but the majority of the stuff is always good. Just look at the upcoming GBA,DS & PS2 stuff.

Yazan

Himuro said:
I WANT AN EMBRYON SHIRT :D

Look what I got:

shin_m_-1-.JPG

shin_m.JPG

Brobzoid

oh snap, I don't have a credit card :(

gotta ask my parents or someone to pass them digits... by tomorrow night...

bloodpressure rising!!

how does the other clan shirts look? I have only made it to
co-ordinate 138
in the game(DDS1)

Brobzoid

just sent a mail to ghostlight asking if they'll release dds2 aswell and asking for some details around shipping...

If I'm lucky I'll actually get this one w000! me goes m00!

Yazan

Brobzoid said:
just sent a mail to ghostlight asking if they'll release dds2 aswell and asking for some details around shipping...

If I'm lucky I'll actually get this one w000! me goes m00!

Asked the same question and recieved this mail:

"All I can say at the moment is that we are in talks with Atlus with the aim of securing the PAL rights to DDS 2. As soon as I know more, I'll let you know."

Link1110

What? I thought Soul Hackers was DS1.

No, there's "Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner," which is the one for PSP which Sony denied us, then there's "Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers," which was for Saturn and PS1 and Sony ALSO denied us.

I read that interview about Devil Summoner that was posted above... did he mean that there's no english voiceovers at all, and thats why it wasn't a concern, or because there just weren't any original Japanese voiceovers to compare the english dubs to?

I'll still get it on day 1 with or without voices, but I really liked the voice work in DDS1 + 2.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
Himuro said:
From what I've seen DS3 doesn't have voice work ala Nocturne.
That's what I thought too. Even Craig at gamespot didn't mention anything about VA in the impressions.

NotMSRP

Any other companies offering a chance to have your name in the manual or game? Did Ghostlight offer a similar deal to SMT Nocturne/Lucifier Call preorders?
Explaination about the difference factions?
Were there any improvements between US SMT Nocturne and the PAL Lucifier Call version such as fixed typos/writings/bugs/glitches?

Brobzoid

yah, what the deal with the name in the manual? is it my manual, or all manuals?

btw, konami had a simillar thing with dog tags in metal gear solid 2 I belive...

NotMSRP said:
Any other companies offering a chance to have your name in the manual or game?

Ever? Well, MGS2's dog tags are pretty famous, Kingdom Hearts 1 has an optional boss named after a contest winner, and Link to the Past has a secret room also named after a contest winner

...there are probably more, but those are the ones that come to mind right away

NotMSRP

Information about the factions so that I can choose the alignment that I prefer?

Ghostlight extended the deadline to June 7th.

Brobzoid

NotMSRP said:
Information about the factions so that I can choose the alignment that I prefer?

Ghostlight extended the deadline to June 7th.

if you are talking about DDS, you are the leader of a clan. the embryon. and the plot revolves around killing the leaders of the other clans in order for you to take their turf.

If you are talking about Nocturne you choose you 'side' over the course of the game, I belive... (haven't beaten it yet)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
hehe I have an old file before making the choice of fighting him or not.

I think I'm gonna try to beat him.

NotMSRP

Brobzoid said:
if you are talking about DDS, you are the leader of a clan. the embryon. and the plot revolves around killing the leaders of the other clans in order for you to take their turf.

If you are talking about Nocturne you choose you 'side' over the course of the game, I belive... (haven't beaten it yet)

I know about the basic premise of DDS. On Ghostlight's website, you select which alignment you prefer to be under when Ghostlight prints your name in the manual.

Brobzoid

NotMSRP said:
I know about the basic premise of DDS. On Ghostlight's website, you select which alignment you prefer to be under when Ghostlight prints your name in the manual.

ahh, sorry... misread that. you may kick me on the shin.

Well, I can't even remember the names of all the clans...

The embryon the tribe you control, very balanced presonality/combat-wise

The VanguardsThe first tribe you go after so they don't have much screen-time. they use crossbows with explosive arrows. The leader becomes a zebra -_-;

The Solids have a great defence. huge ass citadel... with a pussy-leader who never takes part in fights

The Brutes the strong tribe, physically strong tribe. Like, they could nearly own all the others at once. but they don't do they...(I haven't fought them yet,
I just finished
the solids
)

The MaribelA very fashion-oriented tribe, wheter they do it on purpose or not. the second-in-command has kiss-like facial paintings.

The Wolves Only met them once, the leader looked like Wolf from Mortal Kombat.

Error

listening to Devil Summoner OST

thumbs up Shoji Meguro rox.

can't wait for his Persona 3 stuff if he is indeed making the soundtrack for that game, which I hope!

Brobzoid

Error2k4 said:
listening to Devil Summoner OST

thumbs up Shoji Meguro rox.

can't wait for his Persona 3 stuff if he is indeed making the soundtrack for that game, which I hope!

name some kickass tracks. or rather, the most kickass tracks. and how many are there?

Stop making me want to play games I don't have time for!!

:mad:

Haha, in all honesty it looks like I might sit down with Thetrin and play some Persona 2 and I plan on picking up Persona 3 for sure...Maybe I should all the whole series to my list before I leave Japan. Will prolly learn some awesome (useless) vocab from them ;p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BudokaiMR2 said:
Stop making me want to play games I don't have time for!!

:mad:

Haha, in all honesty it looks like I might sit down with Thetrin and play some Persona 2 and I plan on picking up Persona 3 for sure...Maybe I should all the whole series to my list before I leave Japan. Will prolly learn some awesome (useless) vocab from them ;p

Yep. P2 and Nocturne are on their way from my parents` house in the states. I`ll let you know when they get here.

Error

Brobzoid said:
name some kickass tracks. or rather, the most kickass tracks. and how many are there?
the main theme, this song appears in trailers I think it rox.

Go! Raidou
Formidable Opponent
Moment's Peace
Ending Theme

the ost is veryyyyyyyyyyy laid back, it mostly jazz with some techno and hard rock for the fights.

btw Shoji Meguro is not making the OST for Persona 3.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Greenpanda said:
Ever? Well, MGS2's dog tags are pretty famous, Kingdom Hearts 1 has an optional boss named after a contest winner, and Link to the Past has a secret room also named after a contest winner

...there are probably more, but those are the ones that come to mind right away
Reading this reminded me about MGS2. When you had to imput your dogtag info for the first time with raiden at the node, did anyone else notice that it wouldnt let you input anything bad. I was going to name raiden "pussy" and it wouldnt let me enter that. i tried other stuff like shit, bastard etc and it wouldnt let me input any of those either.

psycho_snake

I stopped playing DDS2 when I got upto
the sun.
The gameplay and the story upto that point was excellent, but asa soon as you got upto that part and [
sera and serph combine to make seraph
, i just didnt want to play. Atlus made did such a good job with the characters and story, Id probably rank the the characters and plot of DDS2 among the very best this gen, but as soon as i got to
the sun
i lost the urge to play it because of
seraph looking like a complete idiot and the story wasnt as gripping as before
. The gameplay got a bit too tedious for me to continue so i just stopped. unfortunaltely I didnt get to see what happened from that stage onwards, so could someone please just fill me in on the events and the ending?

Error

Himuro said:
I think the cheesy name is great. It's a poke at those awesome (lol) Japanese flick names I think.

But since it doesn't say Devil Summoner 3 in the title that may make it seem like we're NEVER getting DS1 and 2. :(

I just hope they have the SMT official symbol on there for those people who are like,"wtf is this? Is this related to SMT or what?' I figured, even though DDS had the SMT name on it outside of Japan, it sold pretty good because it had that name on it. Who knows?
or maybe they want to create a new franchise? I dunno but I can see where they coming from, both DDS and Nocturne share a lot of similarities like the battle system and stuff like that so they could get away with putting the SMT brand on DDS, but DS3 is very different from a normal SMT game so maybe they didn't want to confuse the consumer... I don't know.

psycho_snake

Himuro said:
That part of the game almost completely ruined DDS2 for me. Thats the reason I think DDS1 is ultimately still superior to DDS2. What the fuck was that about?
God knows. DDS2 was always inferior to DDS1, but it was stilla superb game, but when it got unto that part I had no urge to keep on playing. i spent about an hour there and I just couldnt be bothered, it didnt seem worth it.

DDS1 is by far the more superior. DDS1 is actually one of the best games thi gen. i first read about DDS on an import website and at the time i thought that it sounded wierd , but one day i was in a shop and i saw the game being sold for very low price so i decided to buy it. That was probably the best purchase Ive made this generation, DDS1 was like nothing Ive ever played before. the graphics were different and very appealing, the characters were bloody brilliant, DDS1 probably has one of the best characters ive sene in a game, they're all incredible. The story is brilliant too, it was very clever and the massive plot twists gave me that fantastic feeling of suspense and shock that MGS2 game me. The part where
colenol beck says that they all died in Nirvana
was unreal. The gameplay was great too. Although its a dungeon crawler,the fast paced battle system and the gripping story made me forget all about that. I could keep going on and on about it. The ending was superb too, the actual ending was great, but what really stood out for me was
when you see sera in the egg and serph just standing on his own in that city in nirvava with the back sun over him
That was amazing.

Anyway himuro, could you tell me what does happen at the end of DDS2?

Brobzoid

seriously contemplating abandoning the fort till I've beaten DDS1/2...

Feeling the spoilers scream through those black lines...

and you are all so negative to DDS2 :mad:

Error

DDS1 and 2 are good games, story is nice but it falls apart in the at the end of the second game. still a good game to me part 1 is a 9/10 part 2 7/10 as a whole 8/10 for me.

Nocturne is much better than DDS. then again is fucking Nocturne :p

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
meltpotato said:
thought i'd cross post this from the P3 website thread since all the SMT fans are in here ;)

Dude, what happened to your old P3 avatar? that kicked ass.

Brobzoid

SolidSnakex said:
*fucking badass cover-art*

that persona was seen in the trailer aswell. the most recent one. In between the menues I think.

P3 will be the best SMT game ever. and quite possibly the best PS2 game aswell...

I'm gonna go fap now..

Error

Persona 3 looks like it could top Nocturne for best RPG of the gen. something I thought was impossible.

Top Bottom