• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R8 Games : "Slamjet Racing" teased : PC (1st), PS4, XboxOne

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Former Liverpool devs? That might have been worth putting in the thread title.

Will have to keep my eye on this.

R1CHO

That trailer is not very good.

Next game from wipeout developers I was expecting to be blow away... instead everything looks too static and slow.

The scenes where it says "explosive action" and "extreme speed" almost seem to be ironical.

I hope it's just an early build.

PS: And uploading only at 720p to youtube is terrible.

That trailer is not very good.

Next game from wipeout developers I was expecting to be blow away... instead everything looks too static and slow.

The scenes where it says "explosive action" and "extreme speed" almost seem to be ironical.

I hope it's just an early build.

PS: And uploading only at 720p to youtube is terrible.

That's because it is.

I'm super excited!! I'm positive this will be great, which sounds like a loss for Sony, really.

R.I.P. Liverpool. <3

JamboGT

I absolutely love WipEout but that needs a bit more love and attention before they show anything else, the actual gameplay in the video was very underwhelming... Be it the lack of speed, or the strange rotation in the corners. Or maybe the fact that it seems so flat. Will see, hoping for the best.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's very, very Wipeout.

Though slower from that teaser "race" footage. Seems like it's running 30FPS. I'm not sure if that's DailyMotion/video playback or the actual gameplay.

In any case, I hope a course builder or something is one of those "other features" for the sake of corkscrew/inverted/etc. tracks.

Also would be funny if someone modded in the old Wipeout AG's to use. Or Liverpool devs throw them in but with different textures to get around Wipeout IP issues.

philion

Neo Member
mmmm....

Didn't like the music,
Didn't like the camera angle,
Vehicle seemed too "heavy",

Everything else was pretty cool though :D

Sentenza

Wipeout* back to PC would be great news, as far as I'm concerned.

* Yeah, yeah, it's not Wipeout, but it's supposed to be a spiritual successor, which is what actually matters.

Durante

I don't think there's any "real" lack of speed in the footage, as in the actual speed the vehicles move over the track. I think the issue of apparent lack of speed - which I agree with - may be a combination of 30 fps video (the good thing about this being on PC is that you'll probably be able to play it at 120 FPS :p) and the lack of animation and reactivity to orientation/movement on the vehicles themselves - which is hopefully something that they will still improve upon.

Denton

Yep. I'm almost happy that Sony killed Wipeout if it means that a very close approximation of it by the same devs is coming to PC.

The tracks and HUD do look extremely Wipout-like.
This. Now I just hope it will be successful and get released across platforms.

Varth

One thing that rubs me the wrong way is the way (@ 1:12) the ship "turns" instead of "waving" like in the classic wipEout games. Seems so stiff. Hope it's just for the sake of presentation and it's not an indication of the driving model being radically different.

Nymerio

Mhhh, finally wipeout is on pc again.

One thing that rubs me the wrong way is the way (@ 1:12) the ship "turns" instead of "waving" like in the classic wipEout games. Seems so stiff. Hope it's just for the sake of presentation and it's not an indication of the driving model being radically different.

I was about to post about that too, but the video description says early concept footage, so I'm pretty confident that they'll have that in the final game.

R8 Games? Not a very good trailer but it's promising that a new futuristic racer is coming out.

The trailer wasn't exciting at all. I hope there is a secret WipEout game in development.

firespriteLogo_BLACK.jpg

I'm fully expecting a new WipEout or something similar from these guys.

desu

I've yet to see a new future racer that makes me "Wow", this looks cool but far away from what I expect these days (visually it doesn't look all that appealing, but I guess that's hard for a small studio).

For now it looks kinda crappy and slow, it's nice that we'll get something like WipEout on PS4 though, but they have some massive shoes to fill.

Good luck guys!

PS Sony do the right thing and bring out WipEout FullHD 2048 Ultra on PS4.

I've yet to see a new future racer that makes me "Wow", this looks cool but far away from what I expect these days (visually it doesn't look all that appealing, but I guess that's hard for a small studio).

We already got that, Mario Kart is out on Wii U :p

Back on topic, it looks like Wipeout and I guess it will play like Wipeout...we need some fresh ideas and not more of the same actually

I'll keep my eye on this one because I love the Wipeout series, but that trailer was not great. The sense of speed was off and the vehicles look like they're unwieldy. Hopefully later builds look a lot better.

I wonder what the budget is w/o Sony backing them.

Any team who worked on WipEout have got my attention.

Reminds me of the opening stuff to 2048 going through the history of racing.

Colour me excited. Hoping for a PS4 release!

desu

We already got that, Mario Kart is out on Wii U :p

Back on topic, it looks like Wipeout and I guess it will play like Wipeout...we need some fresh ideas and not more of the same actually

Yeah ........... no ......... dunno why you even bring that up. And certainly isn't a game to "wow" anyway.

What fresh ideas would that be? A genre is a genre, do you want fresh ideas from the likes of GT/DC/Forza in terms of gameplay and looks as well?

Yeah ........... no ......... dunno why you even bring that up. And certainly isn't a game to "wow" anyway.

What fresh ideas would that be? A genre is a genre, do you want fresh ideas from the likes of GT/DC/Forza in terms of gameplay and looks as well?

Well if I had that fresh idea I would be a game developer....

I mean we dont need a wipeout update with better graphics or more cars and trackes, we dont need the FIFA treatment. Its hard to explain, I just got the feeling "yeah, its wipeout..." I think the series got stale, but thats just my opinion

desu

I mean we dont need a wipeout update with better graphics or more cars and trackes, we dont need the FIFA treatment.

I am absolutely fine with that, comparing this to yearly FIFA releases is also pretty hilarious when there have been barely any future racers in the last 10 years (like a single Extreme G, F-Zero, and well 2-3 Wipeouts on two different platforms).

I am also all for new elments and gameplay mechanics, but the basic formula can stay (at least for me).

NEO0MJ

Interested in this. The vehicles turn in a really strange way right now, hope it's just because the game is in early development.

The car designs are really weak.

They basically took the wheels off an F1 car and went "there, it's a futuristic car".

Yeah, really ugly and fat looking. Wipeout had some really nice looking vehicles. I guess we can blame lack of budget?

From ex liverpool/psygnosis devs? and on pc? sweet

the speed/tracks/vehicle behavior in the teaser did not look good at all but psygnosis have never made a bad game... so if it's really them (and not some interns from liverpool before it got closed) it should turn out well.

As a huge psygnosis fan I'm glad to see they are alive and making more futuristic racing games, I hope it turns out well.

Ezalc

Well always good to see another futuristic racer, I hope they somehow better the sense of speed because WipeOut HD always felt like I was going way slower than I actually was. It looks really pretty but yeah it's early footage and it shows. Will keep an eye on it though.

Shown way too early, it looks like shit right now but my interest is peaked if they can somehow capture the Wipeout "feel", will keep it on the radar.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Looks like crap.

They who make the RollCage Wipeout fusion game win the day.

Top Bottom