• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate The Game Awards 2023

How do you rate The Game Awards 2023?

Votes: 11 4.2%

Votes: 20 7.6%

Votes: 46 17.5%

Votes: 47 17.9%

Votes: 40 15.2%

Votes: 28 10.6%

Votes: 16 6.1%

Votes: 18 6.8%

Votes: 14 5.3%

Votes: 5 1.9%

Votes: 18 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rapid32.5

Not a single new thing for me. Elder Ring DLC trailer would have been enough to end this charade In a few minutes. Alan Wake 2 and Hellblade 2 saved the show from the ashes.

Last edited:

Pantz

6/10 some good stuff, still too much filler.
There was a good 50? minute chunk where I didn't look at the screen.

MiguelItUp

I rated it 4/10. I honestly didn't really care about anything other than the Sega titles, so hyped for those. I've been waiting DECADES for a new Golden Axe. One that LOOKS like Golden Axe. Shinobi, Jet Set, Streets of Rage, and Crazy Taxi all looked great too!

Aside from that, a lot of trailers that didn't show in-game, or it's just stuff that's not for me.

Last edited:
These were 10/10:

The show itself was strange in blazing past some award presentations and jumping into celebrity award presentations and advertisements of things like Lenovo Legion. It had some cool teasers like Marvel's Blade and trailers like Black Myth Wukong. I would rate it 7/10 overall, but I really enjoyed it!

P.S. Sega teaser gave me blue balls and Rise of the Ronin trailer was good, but I feel like I saw it already.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I fucking *LOVE* that there was an on-stage Champions of Light rendition and Sam Lake joined in.

It's the closest to a Neil Patrick Harris performance a gaming show has seen.

I enjoyed it a lot. Tilk shitting on COD was great. Geoff seems like a real nice guy. I liked seeing the tech on upcoming games even if a lot of them looked quite similar. Bethesda’s crybaby acknowledgment that they weren’t in the running for anything substantial was also great.

diffusionx

Gold Member
A lot of cringe zoomshit and gaas garbage but some really interesting games and I think their choice to focus on announcements over awards was the right one - it was long but kept moving. No 8 minute speeches helped with that.

I fucking *LOVE* that there was an on-stage Champions of Light rendition and Sam Lake joined in.

It's the closest to a Neil Patrick Harris performance a gaming show has seen.
I loved it so much I have played it six times since the original showing. That was the best moment of the show for me!

schaft0620

7/10

I just don't see how 50 news drops in 3 hours serves anyone. It was really 50 btw.

Last edited:

Ribi

0/10 no crazies rushed the stage.
Wym? The same dude who ran up on stage last year ran up there again. So much for improved security.

Screenshot_20231207-225124_1.png

Exentryk

It was okay. I mean ideal show for me would just be showing new games, but that isn't the type of show this is. And they did keep the talking to a minimum, so all good. 9/10.

In terms of games shown for my tastes - 6/10.

A few good trailers/reveals, solid choices on the awards themselves (not enough time for speeches), but not much to make a memorable show. Far, far, far too long. 6/10

nick776

I just want to know what the hell Sony is doing. They show us "free" DLC as their only new thing. What games do they have in the pipe and what do we have to look forward to other than Ronin, Stellar Blade, etc.? I wonder if Sony is holding back all the top tier first party games until they unveil the PS5 Pro.

Exentryk

It's good that the devs are kept on a time limit. Some can just drag on with their speeches.

Good work I say.

Indyblue

It was alright. Pretty long. It was funny how they just sort blew past most of the awards like they didn’t even really matter and yet it was 3+ hours long.

gow3isben

Awful pacing and a waste of 2 hours for 30 minutes of good content.

Ragnarok, Monster Hunter, Ronin, and Wukong all looked amazing though.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Not a single thing to be really hyped. A whole lot of CGI stuff and little to no gameplay

5 because prizes for Alan Wake 2, the music, and the well deserved GOTY

STARSBarry

Gold Member
0/10 Darktide didn't even get nominated or win OST of the year.

Everything else was just white noise because of that utter travesty of judgement. Also why is everyone rating an award show based on adverts?

Last edited:

GymWolf

A decent 7 maybe?

-Senua looks like top of the class graphic but it looks way too cinematic even for a dude like me that enjoy cinematic games...
-MH wilds looks a bit shit graphically but how can you say no to mh open world? goodbye another 1000 hours of my life most probably.
-Dlc of gow was ok, whatever.
-Ronin looks fun i guess, ps4.2 graphic tho
-New hello games looks ok i guess, i haven't played their past game so maybe i just don't get the enthusiasm of some people, i do like the concept but the artstyle looks a bit bland, i don't know.
-wukong looks great
-could not care less for anything FF related right now
-blade is another magnificent fitting for a studio like arkane, so this alone is gonna lower the score of the awards
-OD looks like yet another fart sniffing project from master kojima but the graphic was incredible if real.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Did that shitty Forza game really win best racing game ffs. I guess the answer is zero, the awards are bankrupt.

ungalo

3/10

Announcements as always very mediocre but carried by japanese games + this ceremony is just pure vomit this strikes me every year.

Lots of good trailers for games I'm truly interested in, but failed to reveal any big hitters that were expected so I give it a 7.

My personal favorites of the night:
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Light No Fire
  • Metaphor: ReFantazio
  • Hellblade 2
  • God of War DLC
  • FFXVI DLC
  • Sega Reel
  • FF7 Rebirth
  • Black Myth: Wukong

Laieon

2/10 for ignoring the most popular game of the year.

Announcements didn't do much for me. Metaphor looks great.

Last edited:

phant0m

0/10 Darktide didn't even get nominated or win OST of the year.

Everything else was just white noise because of that utter travesty of judgement. Also why is everyone rating an award show based on adverts?
Darktide was released in 2022?

I would give it an 8. Geoff had to fix the issue with amount of time people talking - last it was too long, this time - it seems like he overcorrected. But not for Kojima of course :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lokaum D+

5 for me, aside from MHW reveal trailer the only game that really caught my attention was Light No Fire

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Darktide was released in 2022?

After the cut off point as it was late November 2022, games that miss the cut off are supposed to be considered for the following years awards, otherwise it would be "Game of the 01/01/23 - 10/11/23". Meaning games released for Christmas could never win an award.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Somewhat let down by a list of things I hoped to see there but didn't.

On the other hand those are the games I'm sold on anyway while the show did add many more to the list, like No Rest For The Wicked looks awesome and so does the soulslike from Nexon Khazan, shockingly enough.
Hellblade 2 in-game looks incredible. Kojima cloud project tease, Outlast Trials got console release date... overall a lot of good stuff to look forward to.

Hard lols in the live thread, fun times.

See you in the next one!

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
hifirushgotrobbed/10
circlejerk/10
davethediverindependentgame/10
celebrityjokes/10
hogwarts/10

Some nice announcements though, but you don't need an awards show to do announcements.

Last edited:
Didn't care too much for the awards themselves since I don't like the nominated games. Endless Alan Wake and Baldur's Gate wanking. Yeah yeah, they're great games, whatever. Don't need to see a shitty song performed on-stage, don't need to hear multiple speeches from the same guys. At least there wasn't as much disgusting marketing as previous years.

As for the announcements, Metaphor and Monster Hunter were really cool, but most of the other ones did nothing for me. It was quite long, and long stretches are bound to be filled with content you don't care for. I don't see how they could improve this though.

7/10.

Top Bottom