• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus will nearly double in price – only in South Africa

GAPaMYa.png

vwGmUFI.png
This man understands it.

Another graph against USD, EUR and GBP. Fallen around 40% in the last couple of years, and so seems they've gone beyond that to cover off further weakening in the currency.

izPUuOA6frt12.png

Syriel

Yeah, not a price increase, so much as making sure the price for 1 year of service is the same around the world.

People in the SCEE regions have been complaining to SCEE about that for years (wanting price parity across regions). They just got it.

Price parity sounds good when you're in a country with a highly valued currency (and you want things cheaper) but it sucks when you're in a country with a low valued currency (and everything is then more expensive).

It seems the price is going to be raised 'significantly' rather than 'slightly'.

I get that they did it because the currency has rather devalued, but why didn't they do the increase gradually rather than all at once and without much warning to subscribers? Seems like that would have cut down on potential backlash.

Massa

The assumption that Sony will eventually roll out a price increase to all regions?

I'm assuming they'll roll this out to all regions eventually. Might not be straight away so as to not impact the holiday period, but I could see them announce a price increase for all regions early 2015.

Keep spreading that FUD man.

Raist

Banned
couldnt they foresee this and do it incrementally instead of just going balls deep on our brethren on the other side of the pond? or is it hard?

Well, of course it sucks that it's suddenly being adjusted with a quite significant increase.
I assume they can't really do that every other month, but now that these currencies have been taking a hit for a long time and it seems rather stable (roughly a year) it's time to adjust, I guess.

manesan

Neo Member
It seems the price is going to be raised 'significantly' rather than 'slightly'.

I get that they did it because the currency has rather devalued, but why didn't they do the increase gradually rather than all at once and without much warning to subscribers? Seems like that would have cut down on potential backlash.

To cash in for the Holiday season.

Three months is plenty of warning.

And it'd be more of a hassle changing the price every time the currency changed.

That would result in a higher price over the long term.

I can't remember when it was introduced, but lets say it was 2011 and it cost 10 'Currencies', and now in 2014 the end cost we want to arrive at is double, 20 Currencies.

In reality this happened: 2011 - 10Cs, 2012 - 10Cs, 2013 - 10Cs, 2014 - 20Cs. Total spent over 4 years: 50Cs.

If they increased gradually (assuming an evenly paced increase) this would have happened: 2011 - 10Cs, 2012 - 13.3Cs, 2013 - 16.6Cs, 2014 - 20Cs. Total spent over 4 years: 59.9Cs.

Keep spreading that FUD man.

Not sure how it's FUD.

it's an opinion/assumption. Some/most disagree, but I could see a scenario where Sony do raise the price of Plus across the board to pay for upgrades to their servers.

That upgrade isn't going to pay for itself and I'm not entirely convinced the money they take in right now through Plus is enough to fund a server upgrade as well as Plus games across three platforms and whatever cut they owe to publishers.

Haunted

It's just SCEE bringing the prices inline.
Bringing the prices inline in these vastly different markets is probably one of the dumbest things you can do.

It's like they've learned nothing from Steam's successes in Russia. They're employing tiered pricing for different markets and it's done wonders for them. Does SCEE think they'll earn more from this move? So short-sighted.

The Rand and Rouble have depreciated significantly against the standard weighted basket, these price rises are inevitable.

Rixa

The Rand and Rouble have depreciated significantly against the standard weighted basket, these price rises are inevitable.

Yea, as long as there are not so great things happening in Ukraine, my guess is that Rouble will drop more against western currencies.

Whats going on in SA? Great depression or why is the value of Rand dropping?

fedexpeon

Banned
The assumption that Sony will eventually roll out a price increase to all regions?

I'm assuming they'll roll this out to all regions eventually. Might not be straight away so as to not impact the holiday period, but I could see them announce a price increase for all regions early 2015.

Okay, cool, any more detail?

I can't believe you started your post by diving into a hardline statement like that. Those statements sound like you have the facts and knowledge on the current situation within Sony where you can easily back up your assumptions that this future price increase will affect all regions.
Price parity is the norm since a lot of global company will try to get back the loss from that devalued currency. So in the end, this isn't really a big deal when the purchasing power of another country has loss its value.

Ricitor

Woo! Just resubbed 4 days ago so I just missed this price hike.
But yeah, Rand has gone to shit so it makes sense and the government has been trying to implement taxes on digital items which has slowly been put into place. I'm assuming more towards to former.

Xando

I dont really read much about currency values but isnt the rouble falling like a stone with all the sanctions that are in action because of Ukraine?

kamandi

There is a similar raise right now here in Turkey. Yearly ps+ raised from 100 TL to 150 TL. 1 usd = 2 tl approximately.

oggob

Hmmm... Australia should be fine, our current price makes it about 37 Pounds and 47 Euros... So we have been "inline" for the beginning.

FeiRR

Banned
Not sure how it's FUD.

it's an opinion/assumption. Some/most disagree, but I could see a scenario where Sony do raise the price of Plus across the board to pay for upgrades to their servers.

That upgrade isn't going to pay for itself and I'm not entirely convinced the money they take in right now through Plus is enough to fund a server upgrade as well as Plus games across three platforms and whatever cut they owe to publishers.

We know there was a 70% (IIRC) increase in PS+ subscriptions after the PS4 launch. Unless you have some proof that they're going to do it, you should really stop.

53% isn't nearly double. Though that's quite a big increase. Is there any reason for it? Has the value of the currency changed or new tax?
You got it right. Not sure the reasoning. I think it is to do with inflation and exports though.

I dont really read much about currency values but isnt the rouble falling like a stone because of all the sanctions that are in action because of Ukraine?
It seems the fall predates that and it seems rather volatile.
2012 1 Euro got you 40 Roubles, it gets you nearly 50.
In the case of the rand it went from about 11 to about 14.

I'd say the price is going up a bit too much but it almost seems like they are trying to claw back what they "lost" over the previous year.

Yea, as long as there are not so great things happening in Ukraine, my guess is that Rouble will drop more against western currencies.

Whats going on in SA? Great depression or why is the value of Rand dropping?

Mostly related to labour issues with the mining industry and stuff (which South Africa makes a huge amount of money from), workers are striking, mines aren't running, etc. It has labour issues that other western countries had 50 years ago, basically. A lot of these mining operations are run by international companies as well, international investment because of this has also been scared away due to the labour issues. The rand began to drop since these issues began, and will continue to do so until it's sorted out. It's pretty much directly linked with it.

Most platinum in the world comes from South Africa, and some of the mine(s) that run that operation are the ones where workers are striking. I believe 75-80% of the world's platinum is from South Africa.

FeiRR

Banned
Where the fuck are you comming from with assumptions like that? First that one guy that was offensed by the fact that Destiny's Earth consists only of Russia, and now this newfella.

He's up to the point. Russian economy got a hit because of financial restrictions imposed by both US and EU, this resulted in a drop in exchange rates. You can see graphs a few posts above. As a result, Sony is adjusting prices according to those exchange rates.

fedexpeon

Banned
Where the fuck are you comming from with assumptions like that? First that one guy that was offensed by the fact that Destiny's Earth consists only of Russia, and now this newfella.

screen%20shot%202014-09-29%20at%201.45.46%20pm.png

He is probably referring to the price increase of RU PS+ price.
Russian Ruble devaluation is starting to hit them hard right now due to the sanctions from the Ukraine conflict.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=RUB&to=USD&view=1M

Geez...Even worst than I though.
Wow, I am glad that the US/UK/EU didn't have the balls and put a restriction on RU SWIFT because the global economy will feel the effects from an almost total collapse of the Russia economy.

Winter John

Looks like Sony are finally getting serious about investing money into upgrading those PSN servers.

MS did the same with Gold. This is a good thing.

Oh wow. If this had been posted by a junior member I would assume they were from a marketing/pr department. Using an imaginary server upgrade to defend an arbitrary price hike? Terrible.

Cha

"Slightly", lol. Not renewing my PS+ at that rate. Could have at least sent the email out a bit earlier. Only got it yesterday, and the price takes effect from today. Thought it was increased everywhere. Was wondering why there wasn't a big thread on the Gaf. This sucks big time!

Not sure how it's FUD.

It's clearly a currency-driven thing, when your currency goes down significantly you pay more for stuff, no company is obligated to hold an old exchange rate forever.

fedexpeon

Banned
"Slightly", lol. Not renewing my PS+ at that rate. Could have at least sent the email out a bit earlier. Only got it yesterday, and the price takes effect from today. Thought it was increased everywhere. Was wondering why there wasn't a big thread on the Gaf. This sucks big time!

Because it is the norm for companies to do it.
Your country news stations should have warned you about the currency devaluation.

Yep, just what I thought. PS+ starts off more as a way to get Sony back the good will of customers, then they start cutting back on the "free games," and then the eventual price jump.

As soon as the bad months of PS+ started a while ago, I was expecting the price increase eventually.

Between this and how bad the game selection of PS+ have been lately, I'm thinking about letting PS+ run out.

FeiRR

Banned

Wait a second. You're saying it sucks that we're not affected the same way you are? Oh come on. I've been paying an equivalent of $60 for PS+ since its beginning.

SaucyJack

Why the increase? Is something happening in the economy or in regulatory shtuff? I don't see why they'd just double the cost arbitrarily. Especially when Live hasn't been increased...

Depreciation of the Rand isn't it?

Old price had become cheap compared with £$€ equivalents.

keenest

Sorry about the thread title people.

The increase might not be double, but at 50% it still hurts - a lot.

I wonder if the ZAR improves (however unlikely this may be), will Sony lower the price again?

Top Bottom