• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Dollar hits Steam on October 7th

Kade

Just got this e-mail.

Dear Steam User,

Steam will soon be priced in Canadian Dollar!

If your Steam wallet has any money in it on October 7th, 2014 (Pacific Time), your U.S. Dollar balance will be converted to the Canadian Dollar, at a conversion rate dictated by market value at the time of conversion.

To view your account balance, simply log into your Steam client or the Steam website at http://www.steampowered.com. Once you have logged in, you will see your balance in the upper-right corner next to your account name.

Thanks,

The Steam Support Team
http://support.steampowered.com

Chère utilisatrice, cher utilisateur Steam,

Le dollar canadien arrive bientôt sur Steam!

Si votre porte-monnaie Steam contient un crédit au 7 octobre 2014 (UTC+8), le solde disponible en dollar US sera automatiquement converti en dollar canadien au taux de change en vigueur au moment de la conversion.

Une fois connecté sur Steam vous pouvez consulter le solde de votre porte-monnaie : il est affiché dans la partie supérieure droite du navigateur (à l’adresse http://www.steampowered.com) ou du client Steam, à côté du nom de compte.

Cordialement,

L’équipe du Support Steam
http://support.steampowered.com

They've been pricing at MSRP already so everything is probably going up $5-$10.

antibolo

Banned
Maybe this won't screw us over. Hahaha yes it will. It always does.

I expect a disproportionate price increase PLUS sales tax.

oh fuck
oh fuck
oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck

THE END TIMES ARE NEAR
DISASTER AWAITS
WE MUST CLING TO THE UNDERBELLY OF GREEN MAN GAMING UNTIL THEY TOO SUCCUMB

(goddammit all to hell, couldn't you at least wait until after the holiday sale)

I want to hope that valve will be fair about it...but most likely it'll be terrible. As if the paypal conversion rate wasn't bad enough lol.

Begaria

Do we get a choice of hitting up the US store if we want to? I haven't been paying enough attention to this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Canadian Dollar? Is this some kind of new indie game? I hope it gets greenlit.

Dylan

So, if the conversion happens October 7th, does this mean that we should empty our steam wallets now? Or does it even out in the end?

Say I have 10 dollars in my wallet.

On October 7th, that becomes 11.20CAD?

Someone do the mathemagics.

Sucks for my Canadian brothers. We in Europe are already used to getting screwed.

I really haven't bought day 1 games on steam in years, there are many cheaper alternatives available.

I don't know how much of a difference it will make, it's hard to find PC price games here. But between the exchange rate and the fee for currency conversion I don't think this will be a big deal, unless we (probably) start paying a pile of taxes on it as well.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
It's time to welcome our Green Man Gaming and Humble Store overlords.

Hanzou

I don't know how much of a difference it will make, it's hard to find PC price games here. But between the exchange rate and the fee for currency conversion I don't think this will be a big deal, unless we (probably) start paying a pile of taxes on it as well.
This what I think people don't realize. If they just bump up prices 10% or so then it makes no difference since that is what we were paying g after conversion anyway. Now if taxes get added on...

Annubis

Expect new AAA titles to be 70$ + taxes.
Here in QC that means 80.48$ for one game.

I think GMG / Gamersgate / Amazon.com will be seeing a lot more of me now.

This is terrible news. Canadians have been getting screwed around all year with higher prices for videogames. If they start making us pay sales tax, this means new games will cost $80 and some change. Can't wait for the next steam sale to see the underwhelming new prices!

Motwera

Banned
Why.jpg

Luigi87

Well... lame.
Taxes + Higher game prices. I wonder what that will mean for existing Steam cards though. I guess they'll give the full amount.
To clarify: $25 CAD Steam cards will only give about $22 USD in the wallet (it even has this printed on the cards).

calder

Yeah that sucks. Hopefully this doesn't also mean they will be opening a Canadian presence in some way or else we'll have to pay taxes too (at least, I believe that's what determines whether or not we pay GST on online purchases).

Buggy Loop

I dont understand the problem, your credit card does the conversion from US to CND. Whats the difference between the credit card doing it or Steam doing it?

Top Bottom