• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Dollar hits Steam on October 7th

InsuRn

What I find funny about this is that the prices of games on sales at retail stores (like Wal-Mart) are the same as in the US. Example: Watch Dogs PS4 new is 69.99$, Watch Dogs sale is 39.99$, same as US. It's like they're telling us "wait for a sale, fellow Canadians"...

Nzyme32

This is terrible news. Canadians have been getting screwed around all year with higher prices for videogames. If they start making us pay sales tax, this means new games will cost $80 and some change. Can't wait for the next steam sale to see the underwhelming new prices!

I think it is still up in the air a bit. For when this happened in the UK several years ago, I recall prices being too high, but over time that was brought down to where PC retail used to be, and it has stayed about the same ever since. This is actually a bit similar to what happened to both humble and Gog as far as GBP goes. I'd imagine the same will be true in Canada. I'd hope they would see a slump in sales from the region when priced too high and then would eventually bring that to a more reasonable level, but some pubs will definitely not give a shit, and I would say, well fuck those guys.

Sentenza

I dont understand the problem, your credit card does the conversion from US to CND. Whats the difference between the credit card doing it or Steam doing it?

I'm guessing people aren't strictly concerned about the change of currency as they are about having specific regional pricing for Canada.

Expected, Canadian console gamers are already paying 80$(69.99+tax) for brand new games, well here in quebec/ontario anyways.
That's one of the reasons why folks in this thread game on PC.

Anyways, I don't buy my games on steam. There are other internet venders that offer the same games for much cheaper. I have 30 games in my Steam account and maybe 6 were purchased directly through Steam. This news doesn't effect me at all.

DJ_Lae

I don't like this because it will absolutely lead to higher pricing and the eventual tax.

Even previously safe havens like Greenmangaming are charging higher pricing for select new release games in Canada, it seems (although still in US dollars, which makes it doubly worse).

Nobody I know says this and I've never heard I before.

Same.

Sounds like a Newfie thing if anything.

Vibranium

Banned
Heh, we knew this was coming, still sucks. Valve doesn't need to care about any dips in Canadian consumers though, they still make a ton of money obviously. I hope for a miracle that things improve.

As I've already been doing, I'll use GMG/Amazon.com/Humble Store/Traders for all my games. I will be relying on using Paypal for obtaining stuff.

Annubis

Heh, we knew this was coming, still sucks. Valve doesn't need to care about any dips in Canadian consumers though, they still make a ton of money obviously. I hope the goddamn dollar gets somewhere near parity, but we're looking at long time for that.

Won't change anything.
When the dollar was at parity some years ago (even higher than US at some point) we would still pay 25% more for a lot of things.

Vibranium

Banned
Won't change anything.
When the dollar was at parity some years ago (even higher than US at some point) we would still pay 25% more for a lot of things.

And to think I was naive enough once to think we wouldn't see a repeat of that, I need to lie down....

DRYOv.gif

Joeku

So this being the case doesn't mean a change in regional codes at all, does it? Even though we pay in Canadian Dollars most codes from GMG and whatnot are considered "North American" for the purposes of Steam?

EDIT: I never got to the point here. Is there any fear of us Canadians eventually not being able to redeem US codes from these key sites?

I've pre-ordered Civ Beyond Earth already, I'll be interested to see the price differences once the currency and, I assume, Canadian prices are introduced. This will potentially drastically alter how and when I buy games through Steam.

Mupod

God dammit. Getting the USD pricing on steam was one of the main reasons I was shifting more heavily back to PC. I've been using Greenman for a long time already though.

Sajjaja

So will all prices scale up depending on the exchange rate or is it dependent on the publishers?

How about taxes?

The last thing I bought from Steam was a price error. But having taxes and an exchange rate is going to make Steam sales annoying to read and calculate.

Oh well I got an enormous backlog anyway.

So this being the case doesn't mean a change in regional codes at all, does it? Even though we pay in Canadian Dollars most codes from GMG and whatnot are considered "North American" for the purposes of Steam?

EDIT: I never got to the point here. Is there any fear of us Canadians eventually not being able to redeem US codes from these key sites?

The only publisher I would be wary of is Deep Silver. They are very strict with their Steam key region locking - Europeans can't redeem US keys. There is no other publisher that does region locking this strict, so you don't need to worry about them.

Sometimes it might not be so bad. When it changed around here, prices weren't that bad around launch, but it is on each developer to get nice prices. Some are nice, others not.

I raged a lot though.

Vibranium

Banned
Can't I just change my address to US and pay exclusively with Steam wallet cards?

I'm curious, is this possible? US Wallet Codes worked in Canada before they launched them over here, I remember that.

EDIT: Awesome, may consider that if Valve don't do IP checks.

Boxster17

This works? Does it matter if it's a Canadian credit card?

I don't think it does, at least it hasn't when I've tried it? I have a US PSN account and now live in Halifax - when I tried to purchase a PS+ card during a sale off Amazon.com it wouldn't let me do it using my Canadian credit card/address.

The only thing I've been able to do is order retail items from Amazon and have them shipped to my parents place in the US using my Canadian credit card.

StevieP

Banned
Your credit card already does the conversion folks. As far as I can tell, all this will change is the number you see when you check out. Likely a similar number as after your conversions.

Ie it's all in your head?
Now if they start adding sales tax.... Then you get pissed.

Vibranium

Banned
Your credit card already does the conversion folks. As far as I can tell, all this will change is the number you see when you check out. Likely a similar number as after your conversions.

Ie it's all in your head?
Now if they start adding sales tax.... Then you get pissed.

People are worried that pubs like Ubisoft ($70 for Far Cry 4 and AC Unity on GMG) are going to jack up the prices by $5-10 like in retail, and it works out to more than a simple currency conversion.

Top Bottom