• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One digital downloads takes forever

fantomena

I bought an Xbone yesterday with FIFA15 (included in the bundle), Forza Horizon 2 and D4,.

It's a good device, but big as fuck.

Only one problem so far: Digital game downloads takes forever. Ive been downloading Forza Horizon 2 for 8+ hours and it seems to be stuck at 67% at the moment.

Im using wireless and both PS4 and PC games takes way faster time to download. Every device uses wireless. Ive also tried with wired on the XBone. When I test the detailed network check it says I have 5-10 MB/s, but the download time with wired is equal to wireless.

Not sure what to do anymore. Yes. Ive restarted the router.

Gestault

Anecdotally and from wider reports, I'm not familiar with any system-level issue with download speeds. They've been commiserate with my internet speed, both at home and at work.

Horizon 2 is huuuuge though (just shy of 40 gigs), and on launch day, there was a lot of network traffic.

Webby317

Neo Member
That's odd. I have purchased most my games digital and Horizon 2 Ultimate edition only took an hour to download.

I admit, I have a 162MB connection and I have my Xbox One wired to my router.

Most of my friends have slower connections and have had similar issues, make sure your NAT is open. Not sure what else I can say :-(

fantomena

If you did a speed test...what would your computer get?

3801747366.png

Hmmm, haven't noticed long delays and I'm on Wifi. My 60gb fat PS3 (OG) used to take days to download 1 GB... but that was a well known widespread wifi issue. My Xbox One generally downloads as the same speed as my other N devices on WiFi. I just wish that X1 and PS4 supported AC for their Wifi standard. Last night, D4 took about 40 minutes to download, I'd say. Slow, but about 3Mbps which is about standard for my WiFi devices in my basement.

The great feature for me is being able to purchase something on my phone, from anywhere, and have the X1 automatically start downloading it in Stand by, so if I DL a game before leaving work, by the time I get home it's usually finished.

hawk2025

My Xbox One, PSN, and Steam download speeds are roughly equivalent at this point.

Perhaps it was slower just yesterday? I have to say I haven't had any download speed issues over the past year or so in any console or PC.

see5harp

I can only speak for my own situation, but wireless in my house tops out at 10Mb/sec. My PC is hardwired and it's much much much faster. I haven't noticed downloads on XBOX being any slower or faster than any other wireless device in my house.

Sorry to hear that man.

I've had the opposite experience. I get 50mbs from my Xbox one and 23 from my PS4, both running wireless, and on the same network.

Is your router separate from your modem or is it an all in one provided by your isp?

h3ro

Would changing the DNS on the xbox help?

I'm curious, not too familiar with it but read reports of people getting a better OS experience after changing to Google DNS.

My digital downloads on the Xbone are at least twice as fast as the PS4, and my computer and phone are twice as fast as my Xbox

I can only speak for myself, but as someone who is 100% digital on my X1 and who has over 16 games, I tend to download games in around an hour at 58Mbps. I haven't gotten Forza Horizon 2 yet, but I do have Destiny, Diablo 3, and Forza 5, which are all pretty big, and none of them took me much more than an hour, if that. Then again, I also am hard wired into my router.

Hmmm, haven't noticed long delays and I'm on Wifi. My 60gb fat PS3 (OG) used to take days to download 1 GB... but that was a well known widespread wifi issue. My Xbox One generally downloads as the same speed as my other N devices on WiFi. I just wish that X1 and PS4 supported AC for their Wifi standard. Last night, D4 took about 40 minutes to download, I'd say. Slow, but about 3Mbps which is about standard for my WiFi devices in my basement.

The great feature for me is being able to purchase something on my phone, from anywhere, and have the X1 automatically start downloading it in Stand by, so if I DL a game before leaving work, by the time I get home it's usually finished.

Ugh, don't remind me. Basically caused me to use my PS3 as single player only that whole gen.

Back on topic...that seems extremely slow given your fekkin wicked speedtest results. Not sure what to say. I've not had any issues at all and I'm only at about 30 Mbps.

What do you mean?

Well, you have a good connection between where you are located and the server you did the speedtest against but the server where the files are coming from might not. Try a speed test with a server located in the US or other locations in your country.

Syriel

Only one problem so far: Digital game downloads takes forever. Ive been downloading Forza Horizon 2 for 8+ hours and it seems to be stuck at 67% at the moment.

Im using wireless and both PS4 and PC games takes way faster time to download. Every device uses wireless. Ive also tried with wired on the XBone. When I test the detailed network check it says I have 5-10 MB/s, but the download time with wired is equal to wireless.

Forza Horizon 2 is 36GB.

If you have a 5 Mb/s connection it'll take = about 17 hours.
If you have a 10 Mb/s connection it'll take = about 8.5 hours.

That's best case.

Digital download is great if you have a fast pipe, but if you are on slower broadband it can suck.

Hell, the Forza Horizon 2 demo is larger that almost all Xbox 360 games.

Xbox One also has its problems network wise. Yes downloads do take a lot of time, installing is a complete joke...My PS4 kills my One in speed both in downloading and installing.

The worst is getting a steady download and then it stops at 70% for hours without advancing much...

Akai__

I've always wondered...

Does the Xbox Live Game Store have a download speed limit? Does it actually matter, if you have 10,100 or 1000mbit/s?

I remember people saying it was capped at 6mbit/s, when the Internet Explore came out and you coud use Speedtest.net on the Xbox 360, but I never knew if that was true or not.

fantomena

Forza Horizon 2 is 36GB.

That's best case.

Digital download is great if you have a fast pipe, but if you are on slower broadband it can suck.

FIFA 15 took me 7+ hours. If I oubght it on PS4 it would probably take 2-3 hours, more or less.

Syriel

FIFA 15 took me 7+ hours. If I oubght it on PS4 it would probably take 2-3 hours, more or less.

Based on the download speeds you reported from the test on your Xbox One, the times are expected.

As an example, I just ran a network test and my XBO is reporting 46 Mbps down and 68 Mbps up. That is just a bit slower than what I see with speedtest on my PC.

In your case, you were reporting 5-10 Mbps which is a magnitude of order slower than your main connection to the net (and right in line with your download times).

FIF 15 is ~13 GB which translates to about 6 hours at 5 Mbps.

From what you're describing, it sounds like there is something going on between your router and the XBO that is causing your XBO to get thruput of 5 Mbps or less.

One possibility (given that MS doesn't cap download speeds on anything as far as I know; downloading ISOs from MS is a great way to get a real world speed test), is that your router can't handle a full blast download and is getting overloaded. Another is that your NAT settings are incorrect and/or port forwarding isn't working correctly.

This is all assuming that it wasn't a temporary issue with a bad routing link somewhere between you and the MS server.

Either way, you should recheck the Network Test on the XBO. If you'll still seeing 5-10 Mbps download, that's a sign that something is wrong (based on the speedtest snap you posted).

JaggedSac

Forza Horizon 2 is 36GB.

That's best case.

He said B not b and his speed test shows 10MB down.

Mugatu

My Xbone downloads just fine, given the huge size of games and patches. My PS4 is very slow to download though.

For installs it's just the opposite, nice and quick on the PS4 and slow as hell on the Xbone.

Hawk269

I have a PS4 and a PC hooked up to my router along with the Xbox One and I can download a game on the Xbox One faster than the PC or the PS4. I have never had a speed issue with Xbox Live, even when I had the 360/PC/PS3, my 360 DL, like the One are the fastest for me.

SMattera

I can only speak for my own situation, but wireless in my house tops out at 10Mb/sec. My PC is hardwired and it's much much much faster. I haven't noticed downloads on XBOX being any slower or faster than any other wireless device in my house.

You need a new router.

Quotient

Xbox one doesn't have a system similar to playgo on the PS4, i.e. download a small portion of the game you can begin playing while the rest downloads in the background?

JaggedSac

I'm assuming that was a typo as the XBO Network Test only reports in Mbps (little b, not big B).

If his console was reporting 5-10, it'll be in Mbps not MBps.

Ah, its been a while since I did it on the so I just assumed he was correct. That and his speed test picture matched.

N° 2048

I just got the XO and downloads were insanely slow (200KBs) then I realized I had the wrong location set. Now I max out, which for me is 3MBs.

Top Bottom