• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One digital downloads takes forever

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
console is "big as fuck"

must be the xbox's problem, not your internet speeds or your unreasonable expectations of technology.

good luck.

Syriel

Ah, its been a while since I did it on the so I just assumed he was correct. That and his speed test picture matched.

Oh I agree. I fired up the XBO just to be sure. :)

But the discrepancy between what his XBO is reporting and what his PC speed test is reporting is one reason why I suggested looking at the router as a potential issue (again, assuming this wasn't a temporary thing with a bad hop along the way).

On a good network, you shouldn't see such a large difference between devices.

Nafai1123

Banned
Sounds like some sort of congestion between you and the MS server. Maybe there's a way to change which server you download from?

Axoman

Xbox Live was having issues yesterday/last night, as service status was limited last night.

That could have been a big part of your slow download speeds relative to your connection speed.

I've always wondered...

Does the Xbox Live Game Store have a download speed limit? Does it actually matter, if you have 10,100 or 1000mbit/s?

I remember people saying it was capped at 6mbit/s, when the Internet Explore came out and you coud use Speedtest.net on the Xbox 360, but I never knew if that was true or not.

That's not accurate.

Blanquito

I don't think the DNS trick will actually help the download speed... unless you have to keep switching the location from which you are downloading. DNS only helps you find the server, it doesn't help you with your connection to the server.

Syriel

I don't think the DNS trick will actually help the download speed... unless you have to keep switching the location from which you are downloading. DNS only helps you find the server, it doesn't help you with your connection to the server.

If the problem is a bad route to the server, changing DNS can sometimes help.

Reason being is that there isn't just one massive "server." Games for Xbox Live, PSN, etc. are stored on a CDN made of multiple servers.

Changing DNS may route you to a different physical server (with a different route that isn't congested), even though the console is using the same virtual name.

I concur that digital downloads take really long on my Xbox one too. It just started happening when I tried to download the Destiny beta that took almost 12 hours to download. Even small patches that are like 1 gig take an hour to download which is ridiculous. When I do my connection status tests on my Xbox it usually says between 25-30 mbps so I don't know whats up.

Blanquito

If the problem is a bad route to the server, changing DNS can sometimes help.

Reason being is that there isn't just one massive "server." Games for Xbox Live, PSN, etc. are stored on a CDN made of multiple servers.

Changing DNS may route you to a different physical server (with a different route that isn't congested), even though the console is using the same virtual name.

True, that is a case where (as you mentioned) it may actually help with download speeds. But even then, there's a chance that the new DNS just gives you the location of the same old server, since from what I can tell CDNs such as Akamai now use edns-client-subnet or something similar to route the person to the closest content server regardless of where the DNS server is.

At least, from what I'm reading that appears to be the case. I'm open to evidence that states otherwise though :)

mocoworm

I can honestly say that my dloads are not slow. I get good speeds all the time. I am on 60mbs Virgin Media.

I dloaded Forza5 in 30-40mins on launch day

Detective

I can see you live in Norway, So do I. Can't say I have your problem.. My X1 is located on the sec floor while the router is on the first and is pretty fast. Check your router. If your router is delivered to you by your ISP try to log in and open some ports. Telenor had these problems with their router, slow as fuck when playing on xbox.

ryan299

I have wifi problems with my system. For some reason it's not getting enough signal even though it's in the same spot as my 360, computer phone and ipad which get at least double what my 1 is getting.

I agree with a lot of others in this thread. My downloads are fine, doing a Detailed Network Statistics through the Network Settings shows the Xbox One maxes out my connection.

My connection 2,200 miles away:
3798711502.png

RdN

Absolutely not the experience that I have. Xbox Live has blazing fast downloads on Xbox One for me.

Something must be wrong with your connection, be it with your ISP routes/traffic shaping or with your home equipment.

My downloads on Xbox One are usually pretty quick but the last couple of days have been really slow for me, it's probably Time Warner Cable's fault though.

Aces&Eights

I agree with a lot of others in this thread. My downloads are fine, doing a Detailed Network Statistics through the Network Settings shows the Xbox One maxes out my connection.

My connection 2,200 miles away:
3798711502.png

Yup. I'm a little bit better here in Spokane but I also pay 40 bucks a month just for Internet. I saw that first test and thought I'd give my left nut for those download speeds.

Head.spawn

That's insane. The downloads aren't as fast as Steam, but I've never have a download even a quarter as long as that.

Wolfenstein, I had downloaded and installed in under an hour and that's 44GB.

Yup. I'm a little bit better here in Spokane but I also pay 40 bucks a month just for Internet. I saw that first test and thought I'd give my left nut for those download speeds.

Time Warner is pretty ridiculous with their pricing. I pay $65 a month for my connection, eagerly waiting for Verizon FIOS. But they have been saying they will be coming to my area for the last 7 - 8 years now.

Top Bottom