• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Power Brick Coil whine/Fan noise?

So got my console on Sunday. Downloaded FIFA and all, Sunset Overdrive is preloading now.
However, this coil whine is getting on my nerve. It can be heard only when room is silent with nothing else running, and at night because of no ambient noise. Couple of guys on other forums I frequent also confirmed the similar noise. Is this a problem? Is it coil whine or fan noise?

Here is a video I recorded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yco64XJgrS4

It was recorded by Nexus 4 from very near to the brick, so it is loud. Overall you can hear it from 3 feet away from brick.

Should I get it replaced?

EDIT: Found another video by some other Xbox One owner on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnMvP_8g3mo

This is very similar to mine.

bluexy

I'd make sure your Xbox One is being turned all the way off and not just put into standby. Otherwise, yeah, the brick's fan is annoying as hell. I tend to just unplug it, because the noise drives me insane.

Jaxx

Banned
If you have the October update installed and it's still doing it, you need to return your console.

I'd make sure your Xbox One is being turned all the way off and not just put into standby. Otherwise, yeah, the brick's fan is annoying as hell. I tend to just unplug it, because the noise drives me insane.

Coil whine isn't coming from the brick.

When the fan in mine really gets going it's probably 5x louder than yours. I can't imagine that's normal but it doesn't usually last long so I ignore it. MS support is so bad I just put up witht their broken tech...

When the fan in mine really gets going it's probably 5x louder than yours. I can't imagine that's normal but it doesn't usually last long so I ignore it. MS support is so bad I just put up witht their broken tech...
ok judging by gaf post I am extremely confused? I thought the X1 fan was extremely silent and the only noise came from the fan in the brick but that fan noise is unoticeable? Could it be true that no matter what console you get there is a chance it can have loud fans or be noisey and there is a chance you can get a silent one?

Just to be clear, console is dead silent. No sound at all, almost god tier silent compared to PS4.
It is only power brick. If everyone has this, I wont worry.

Jaxx

Banned
Just to be clear, console is dead silent. No sound at all, almost god tier silent compared to PS4.

Everyone doesn't have this. You need to swap it. The power brick should be as silent as the console.

so don't worry about noise coming from the brick because there is no noise coming from the console its dead silence? I am confused. I listened to the vid and it was not dead silence you could hear noise.

so don't worry about noise coming from the brick because there is no noise coming from the console its dead silence? I am confused. I listened to the vid and it was not dead silence you could hear noise.

Console is silent as it is in Instant On mode i.e. standby mode.
That noise is from Power Brick. And you can hear it that loud because I recorded with my mobile right next to it. It is not audible 4 feet away from the brick or in presence of ambient noise.

clav

Console is silent as it is in Instant On mode i.e. standby mode.
That noise is from Power Brick. And you can hear it that loud because I recorded with my mobile right next to it. It is not audible 4 feet away from the brick or in presence of ambient noise.

Is the noise just the first two seconds of the video?

You hear a little noise, but it shouldn't be a loud rattle. The rattle is what my friend had.

Its not a rattle now. Can you check my video and tell if your friend had similar noise? I have seen rattle noise videos and they were quite loud compared to what I am getting.

Yeah, don't mind me. Noise is coming from the back of my tv, thought it was the block. New TV, here I come.

Yeah. My old Samsung TV was louder than the XB1 and power brick. The external hard drive is louder too. A properly functioning XB1 is pretty damn silent.

Its not a rattle now. Can you check my video and tell if your friend had similar noise? I have seen rattle noise videos and they were quite loud compared to what I am getting.

Well I don't know what his sounded like exactly. I'd still swap it out. Mine isn't making that noise.

Hawk269

All this was discussed in several other threads....but

Some power bricks do make some noise, it is mostly evident when it is in stand by mode. The cause of it is that they included a fan on the power brick to keep it cool as well, for some reason some fans are louder than others. I have 2 systems and one of them had a loud fan, I had MS replace it and now both are silent. You can hear it if you put your ear to it only.

The majority of the people I know have silent ones, but there are a few that you can hear them and setting up a swap with MS will usually net a silent one. This has been less and less of an issue since launch though. There has been a lot of my IRL friends that have recently bought a Xbox One that all have silent/near silent power bricks.

The coil whine that some reported on the non-Kinect systems has been fixed. There was a power delivery issue in the software which those without a Kinect, the system was using/pulling the power it needed as if the Kinect was attached. This was fixed I believe 2 firmware updates ago and no longer an issue.

All this was discussed in several other threads....but

Some power bricks do make some noise, it is mostly evident when it is in stand by mode. The cause of it is that they included a fan on the power brick to keep it cool as well, for some reason some fans are louder than others. I have 2 systems and one of them had a loud fan, I had MS replace it and now both are silent. You can hear it if you put your ear to it only.

The majority of the people I know have silent ones, but there are a few that you can hear them and setting up a swap with MS will usually net a silent one. This has been less and less of an issue since launch though. There has been a lot of my IRL friends that have recently bought a Xbox One that all have silent/near silent power bricks.

The coil whine that some reported on the non-Kinect systems has been fixed. There was a power delivery issue in the software which those without a Kinect, the system was using/pulling the power it needed as if the Kinect was attached. This was fixed I believe 2 firmware updates ago and no longer an issue.

Okay, thanks, I will setup a replacement.

Also that coil whine without Kinect, that was the console making noise and not the power brick right? My console doesn't make much noise while gaming, so it is fine.

Seanbob11

Just thought I'd post my experience with Xbox Support.

The fan on my xbox has slowly been getting louder. I went on webchat this morning and spoke to a guy who was really helpful. I really didn't want to have no Xbox when Halo came out and he fixed me up so that MS will be sending me a replacement Xbox before I even send mine back.

I think it's common practice they offer to everyone but I was really impressed with them, seemed to really care. If you've got loud fan noise I'd give them a call up and they'd help you out :)

Guerrilla

Just thought I'd post my experience with Xbox Support.

The fan on my xbox has slowly been getting louder. I went on webchat this morning and spoke to a guy who was really helpful. I really didn't want to have no Xbox when Halo came out and he fixed me up so that MS will be sending me a replacement Xbox before I even send mine back.

I think it's common practice they offer to everyone but I was really impressed with them, seemed to really care. If you've got loud fan noise I'd give them a call up and they'd help you out :)

yeah it works exactly like that in germany, the guy who brings your new box takes the old one.

And no the power brick is not supposed to make a noise. It's dead silent for me. even if the console is on. send it in

Guerrilla

but isn't the whole purpose to cancel the noise in general no matter where its coming from? the brick is connected to the console correct? noise is noise I thought. Its noise thats bugging the OP.

Don't worry, your ps4 is not any less of a good console even if it is louder than the xb1.

Btw you are talking to the op in your post, so you don't have to tell him, what's bugging him ;)

New002

Kind of a related question...

When you receive a replacement system do you get just the system or do you get a system AND a power brick?

Thanks!

Occam

Slightly off-topic, but why the heck can't they use a power supply unit with passive cooling, like every other video game console ever?
Is there a third party solution with passive cooling?

The fan in the power brick is noisy, but normal. I usually unplug it, I don't need the console always on instant on if I'm not downloading something.

Moltenix

Received my Sunset Overdrive bundle yesterday. The power brick hasn't been noisy but i'm getting this annoying chirping sound from the system. Doesn't seem like the coil whine issue. It's pretty noticeable especially when the room's quiet and it's like this the entire time it's on (either in-game or on dashboard).

I'm guessing this isn't normal?

ok judging by gaf post I am extremely confused? I thought the X1 fan was extremely silent and the only noise came from the fan in the brick but that fan noise is unoticeable? Could it be true that no matter what console you get there is a chance it can have loud fans or be noisey and there is a chance you can get a silent one?
Sorry I didn't respond sooner; it's my brick not my console. And there is CLEARLY something wrong with it. Next time it acts up I'll make a recording, it's loud enough to resonate throughout my entire apartment and it's a completely unnatural sound. A grinding, like a loudly-dying PC fan.

Ferny

Sorry I didn't respond sooner; it's my brick not my console. And there is CLEARLY something wrong with it. Next time it acts up I'll make a recording, it's loud enough to resonate throughout my entire apartment and it's a completely unnatural sound. A grinding, like a loudly-dying PC fan.

I have the same exact issue. It's terrible. I want to setup for a replacement but this is like the absolute worst time for it with all the games coming out.

The first six seconds is what my power brick sounded like when I walked in from work this evening. My Xbox was currently off but is set to "instant on" mode. That said, I don't think it was doing anything at the time. About a minute after I walked in the sound got louder and more aggressive, which is the last six seconds of the "video."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edGk9vBQTdQ

I put up with it because Xbox Support has been a neverending nightmare for years and the sound generally comes and goes. Still, even the second clip in nowhere near as loud / aggressive as it gets.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
My Xbox 360S model had a powerbrick that gave off a awful whine noise, I ended up swapping it with a used one that gave off less noise.

Makes me wonder if the Xbox one powerbrick use the same fans.

I wanted to bump this because I just got an Xbox One last night and was stunned at how loud the power brick was, especially give how quiet the actuao system seems to be. Looks like maybe that isn't normal after all.

Anyone have a positive experience getting the brick replaced? I dont really want to send this thing off right after I got it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I wanted to bump this because I just got an Xbox One last night and was stunned at how loud the power brick was, especially give how quiet the actuao system seems to be. Looks like maybe that isn't normal after all.

Anyone have a positive experience getting the brick replaced? I dont really want to send this thing off right after I got it.

Did you install the latest OS? It should fix the coil noise.

Top Bottom