• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Power Brick Coil whine/Fan noise?

I wanted to bump this because I just got an Xbox One last night and was stunned at how loud the power brick was, especially give how quiet the actuao system seems to be. Looks like maybe that isn't normal after all.

Anyone have a positive experience getting the brick replaced? I dont really want to send this thing off right after I got it.

Yes the bricks can be way too loud. I've sent it back 3 times now. New one is quiet, for now anyway.

Did you install the latest OS? It should fix the coil noise.

Yeah, I intstalled the latest update. There's no noise from the console. This is about the power brick fan being very loud. Sitting in my living this morning and hearing it whine made the issue pretty obvious.

Entrecôte;138026707 said:
Yes the bricks can be way too loud. I've sent it back 3 times now. New one is quiet, for now anyway.

That's dissapointing to hear it took that many tries. What does that turnaround look like?

Tall Paul

I had to get a new one just after launch last year as the one with the console was very loud...got charged £30 for the privilege but the helpful xbox support bloke sorted a years live for free as it was a bit peeved to say the least.

...New one was only slightly less annoying.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Yeah, I intstalled the latest update. There's no noise from the console. This is about the power brick fan being very loud. Sitting in my living this morning and hearing it whine made the issue pretty obvious.

That's dissapointing to hear it took that many tries. What does that turnaround look like?

It shouldn`t be loud at all.

Its really annoying at night...I love the fact that the console is quiet when playing games but that noise coming from the brick is just ugh

I can hear the fan in my power brick as well. I just got a new xbone and every day when I got home I heard that tiny noise when I walked into my room. I didn't know what it was from at first but it was driving me crazy, a few days later I finally set out to find it.

It isn't super loud but it's enough to hear in a quiet room. Annoys the heck out of me, so I turned off Instant-On. Now the power brick actually turns off when I shut the console down. Silent room.

Of course the sound is there when I turn the xbone on, but it isnt loud enough to be heard when I have actual audio playing, so it's fine as long as I'm actually using the console.

Wasn't bad, average a week (Europe) and the free pickups helped. The previous one was fine until a few months passed then the whine crept in.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I cant believe have many faulty/noisy Xbox One consoles they made. At launch their consoles acted fairly decent, but after that the consoles have gone complete downhill. People don`t even know how this system is suppose to sound like anymore.

For the love of god, people stating it got fixed in latest update just read the OP. We are talking about Power Brick noise, not the console noise. Jeez.

I will ask for brick replacement in March or something, too many games around till February.

strata8

Slightly off-topic, but why the heck can't they use a power supply unit with passive cooling, like every other video game console ever?
Is there a third party solution with passive cooling?

Which consoles have passive PSUs rated at 200W?

sammex

Huh I always thought my brick was normal but I'm now guessing it's a loud one. Not sure if I can be bothered to change it as I've put up with it since launch. How much hassle is it to get it replaced?

New002

Huh I always thought my brick was normal but I'm now guessing it's a loud one. Not sure if I can be bothered to change it as I've put up with it since launch. How much hassle is it to get it replaced?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any sort of advanced exchange for the brick. You would have to send it out and wait for a new one, as opposed to the console its self where you can have a new one sent to you first.

Aroll

Haven't had a single issue with noise from the coil or the console, even before the latest update. If it IS still happening after the latest update, request new bricks, because yours is slightly faulty.

Has anyone done a replacement for this? MS is telling me the console warranty (1 year) doesn't cover the PSU, it only gets 90 days. My unit is from launch so that period is long over. As such (and I'm only doing this because the sound has simply become nonstop and unbearable) my options are send them my PSU at my expense and they'll send me a new one, a process which will take 15-21 business days, or pay them $50 for a new PSU which they'll send right away. I use my Xbox One to watch TV and really don't want to be without it at all... Surely I'm missing something here, no?

This was the latest thread I could find about the console noises, anyone still getting problems?

Haven't had a single issue with noise from the coil or the console, even before the latest update. If it IS still happening after the latest update, request new bricks, because yours is slightly faulty.

I want to bring this thread back as since a few months ago my xbox console while in a low power state like streaming video or on the dashboard will start to make a whine noise from the fans, I know it's not the power brick as I have triple checked. my console sits right next to me on my desk while the power brick is below at the back wall. Launch day unit.

The sound comes and goes, can be rather annoying when I am not weaing a head set.

Never had the noise before septempter or so.

Diablohead said:
This was the latest thread I could find about the console noises, anyone still getting problems?

I replaced my Xbox one Power supply yesterday from a fan that did sound a little bit scratching the surface to a Power supply which sounds really loud from the fan.
How hard can it be for MS to produce a silent Power supply in year 2015?

Ape

Banned
I replaced my Xbox one Power supply yesterday from a fan that did sound a little bit scratching the surface to a Power supply which sounds really loud from the fan.
How hard can it be for MS to produce a silent Power supply in year 2015?

Two in a row is pretty rough, but abnormalities in hardware for a small percentage of customers are to be expected.

Nheco

Never noticed any noise from the power supply of mine, but since my room is kinda noisy because all the electronic stuff in there, it's no surprise at all. I'll check tonight.

Are you plugged directly into the wall outlet?

That's right. I'm gonna try another socket but I doubt it will make a difference. This is pretty relevant when living in a bigger studio as I do and it's hard to sleep when it's on. Of course I can set up my XB1 to energy saving mode but I prefer the instant on option.
Gonna ask for another replacement and by this time will be best friend with the UPS-guy haha. I love MS products and actually prefer XB1 to my PS4 but MS's quality control is terrible and it always has been.

Hoping for a redesigned Xbox one during E3.

Top Bottom