• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Gave Take-Two's CEO A Demo Of Its Mysterious VR Tech

Detective

Gamespot Writes :

Microsoft is now letting people outside the company try out its long-in-development "enhanced reality" technology. Grand Theft Auto parent publisher Take-Two Interactive CEO Strauss Zelnick said today on Bloomberg TV that he was invited to Microsoft's headquarters to try it out. It is unclear, however, if Zelnick got to see the RoomAlive demo or Microsoft's other secret VR project.

Whatever the case, Zelnick said he was excited with what he saw.

"The demo that I had was at Microsoft's headquarters in a room given over to this [technology], and you had an immersive headset on, and there are characters that appear to be real, and you'e interacting with the characters and they're not real, and it's pretty extraordinary," he said.

Though he was floored by the demo, Zelnick said he's not sure yet about its commercial appeal.

Link

Has this been posted?

SerTapTap

Wouldn't be surprised if this were closer to something like Room Alive and Illumiroom in that it's an early, crazypants experiment moreso than something intended to be the next Kinect

'GTAV boss' must be a cool job.

It's pretty nice until the protagonist comes along

Raist

Banned
"The demo that I had was at Microsoft's headquarters in a room given over to this [technology], and you had an immersive headset on, and there are characters that appear to be real, and you'e interacting with the characters and they're not real, and it's pretty extraordinary,"

Milo's back.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
VR may be the new Wii fad, it will probably be extremely popular for awhile until it is not and everyone forgets about it, at least that's how i see it.

GvxS5l4.jpg

Mary Jo Foley on Windows Weekly confirmed a few weeks back that MS was working on a VR headset (I think it was called Project B? Don't remember exactly). I believe its not the same project as the AR glasses in that slide posted above.

could you imagine if this came out with screamride... would be awesome, most likely not coming out for awhile but one can dream right

"The demo that I had was at Microsoft's headquarters in a room given over to this [technology], and you had an immersive headset on, and there are characters that appear to be real, and you'e interacting with the characters and they're not real, and it's pretty extraordinary," he said.

Though he was floored by the demo, Zelnick said he's not sure yet about its commercial appeal.

Seems to something that's all too common with these research projects.

dumbo

AFAIK the correct term for microsoft's projects is AR (augmented reality) not VR.
VR = you are on a spaceship, and it seems real.
AR = you are in your living room and there's a giant robot sitting next to you.

AFAIK the correct term for microsoft's projects is AR (augmented reality) not VR.
VR = you are on a spaceship, and it seems real.
AR = you are in your living room and there's a giant robot sitting next to you.

As I mentioned above, Mary Jo Foley has said that they are working on a separate VR project.

Alx

"enhanced reality" sounds more like AR than VR.
Whatever it is we'll probably get to see the first of it at CES I suppose.

samn

Microsoft spends enormous amounts of money on research that never amounts to anything more than a neat speculative video.

I'm not sure the XB1 has the horsepower necessary to competently do VR, so i imagine that they're pushing some form of AR, which is pretty funny given that it will need a camera to work with and they seem to be backpedaling on the kinect so hard these days.

Donos

Yeah, i think MS is going more the AR route and are pretty far with it. You don't just pull a VR solution out of a hat unless they bought a company which was already pretty far with R&D.

This could be pretty amazing stuff.

I wouldn't mind if MS and Sony use the current gen to demo and research the technology but make the actual jump to using it for next gen (PS5, Xbox Two). Make sure it's included day one and make sure the hardware supports it, full spec. Also make sure there are day one games for it.

Please don't kill VR by making the headset a $300 add-on with Kinect-level game support.

Alx

R.I.P Kinect.

Kinect could be a great complement to AR actually. To merge accurately virtual data and real data, it can help for the machine to have a good understanding of its environment.
An example I gave in another forum :
AR glasses + Kinect tracking your limbs => see your arms catch fire when powering up (since it's an overlay and "soft" effect, it doesn't even need to be very accurate).

Krilekk

Banned
Kinect am cry.

So this will be the next big thing?

VR on PC and consoles?

It probably won't work without Kinect (positional tracking, room scanning). I think RoomAlive and Illumiroom are just the presentation techs for the real AR solution they have. VR suffers from having to experience it first hand to "get" it. AR might be much smarter. And you won't have three intersecting beamers for the thing, you will have glasses that do that for you.
But aside from ambient effects I don't see the appeal. The snow part in Illumiroom is great. RoomAlive could be cool with AR but the tracking would've to be very exact. It's pretty much a holodeck and could theoretically (with glasses) be used by multiple players at the same time.

ekim

Seems to be really VR and not AR - you are all missing this post:

Mary Jo Foley on Windows Weekly confirmed a few weeks back that MS was working on a VR headset (I think it was called Project B? Don't remember exactly). I believe its not the same project as the AR glasses in that slide posted above.

Alx

The fact that MS is also working on VR is no surprise, they're working on a lot of things. But in a project labeled "enhanced reality", I don't see how VR would seem more likely than AR.

I think this is actually significant criticism, considering that would never try some partner's experimental technology, then go to press and announce that it sucks.

Donos

But wasn't there a thread on gaf some time ago with a patent from MS for AR in the whole living room? You would need some kind of HMD to see this in your living room.

kazinova

Looks, it's probably all BS, but anything that gets us even one step closer to the holodeck is a good thing.

So, drive on, VR tech. Keep going!

Alx

But it says VR, I'm not sure where these posts suggesting AR are drawing their strength, lol.

Well the content of articles is usually more accurate than their title, and the VR part is just speculation from Gamespot.
As a matter of fact, if you go back to the original source (Bloomberg TV interview),
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/-grand-theft-auto-hits-next-gen-platforms-7Xx~0MaJSTGeuEA~etwXqg.html (about 8:50 in), they mention "enhanced reality" specifically as something different from VR, after they were discussing Morpheus and how they were wondering about long uses of it. I can even see how "Enhanced Reality" is just the journalist misremembering "Augmented Reality".
So yeah, it's very probably not VR in that case.

VR is the next thing everyone will battle for and 2 years after people will realise they don't want it cause its annoying to wear / headache etc. VR is 3D TV 2.0

EGM1966

I hope it's better aligned to ging than Kinect ever was. He seemed to find it cool enough but seems it didn't grab him as having immediate commercial appeal.

I'm not sure about VR yet or any moves to replicate the "lighting in a bottle" Wii and the immediate market acceptance of its controls.

Feels like a lot of these devices will end up as niche peripherals to me. Currently anyway.

Krilekk

Banned
VR is 3DTV on fucking crack. Its gonna be incredible.

People will have the choice between playing a game basically with 2x the visual fidelity in 2D or with the low detail setting in VR. Which married man is gonna sit in the living room with a VR headset? Who has enough space for the necessary treadmill (necessary if it should be more than 3DTV 2.0)? There's so many unknown variables with VR, but most of all it will be the chicken and the egg problem: Without content it won't be a success and if it isn't a success their will be no content.

Top Bottom