• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Gave Take-Two's CEO A Demo Of Its Mysterious VR Tech

maxcriden

VR may be the new Wii fad, it will probably be extremely popular for awhile until it is not and everyone forgets about it, at least that's how i see it.

That's my thinking too. I can see Miyamoto's concern about the experience being very insular. I'm sure there will be a contigent of people who love it, but I think for me it will be almost too immersive if that makes sense.

That's my thinking too. I can see Miyamoto's concern about the experience being very insular. I'm sure there will be a contigent of people who love it, but I think for me it will be almost too immersive if that makes sense.

I think people are forgetting that in order for a new interface to catch on, there has to be an innovative piece of hardware and an even more innovative piece of software. The Wii wasn't successful because the controller had accelerometers in it. It was successful because it had Wii Sports to go along with it. The Wii U didn't fail because tablets are a dumb idea. It failed because Nintendo Land wasn't innovative enough to sell the concept.

So far VR looks compelling, but it seems like at the moment it's being driven by the idea that if you make good enough hardware, the software will just happen by itself. As long as that idea exists, I'm not sure that it's going to be taking off.

Alx

I think people are forgetting that in order for a new interface to catch on, there has to be an innovative piece of hardware and an even more innovative piece of software. The Wii wasn't successful because the controller had accelerometers in it. It was successful because it had Wii Sports to go along with it. The Wii U didn't fail because tablets are a dumb idea. It failed because Nintendo Land wasn't innovative enough to sell the concept.

So far VR looks compelling, but it seems like at the moment it's being driven by the idea that if you make good enough hardware, the software will just happen by itself. As long as that idea exists, I'm not sure that it's going to be taking off.

Compared to the Wii, VR will also have the added difficulty of fighting the stigma attached to the headset. While gamers may think it's the coolest thing ever, most people will rather see it as a device from a dystopian future. You can see it in the Bloomberg interview in the OP, when one of the journalists was like "is this really our future, walking around wearing that on our head ?".
VR is generally more "scary" for regular people than common video games, while the Wii was making them more accessible (simple controller, simple games, social activity).

sam777

VR may be the new Wii fad, it will probably be extremely popular for awhile until it is not and everyone forgets about it, at least that's how i see it.

I am not sure it will be that popular outside of core gamers due to the price of it, which will most likely be quite high.

Seanspeed

Banned
People will have the choice between playing a game basically with 2x the visual fidelity in 2D or with the low detail setting in VR. Which married man is gonna sit in the living room with a VR headset? Who has enough space for the necessary treadmill (necessary if it should be more than 3DTV 2.0)? There's so many unknown variables with VR, but most of all it will be the chicken and the egg problem: Without content it won't be a success and if it isn't a success their will be no content.
You wont need a treadmill, don't worry.

Its not gonna be all 1st person games if that's what you're worried about.

The main problem is just getting people to try it. Most of the negativity comes from people who haven't given it a proper go.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sounds like an AR headset to me. 'Enhanced reality'. I think it could be very cool but like Kinect, the problem invites many robustness issues that need to be solved well.

They're AR glasses with the ability to do VR. But the fov for VR is not as good as something like the rift because they're glasses. I mean that's what I suspect is the case.

Hope it's way better than oculus, even it this means it won't be commercially viable many years for now. After testing the oculus I prefer to wait a some good years until the tech is more fleshed out than have it now on its current state.

derFeef

Not sure about this, seems like you need "good room conditions" to have a good experience. We will see, next year I guess?

Evo X

Forza VR is going to be fucking incredible!

This tech probably won't be released until the next Xbox though.

The one has trouble rendering games enough as it is. Even the PS4 is too weak to provide a proper VR experience IMO.

People will have the choice between playing a game basically with 2x the visual fidelity in 2D or with the low detail setting in VR. Which married man is gonna sit in the living room with a VR headset?

Not me, that's for sure. I spend my evenings in the living room with my girlfriend, isolating myself completely by wearing a headset is rarely going to be an option. And not that I'm finding it an appealing option in the first place.

I'm still hoping Microsoft goes the AR route.

derFeef

Forza VR is going to be fucking incredible!

This tech probably won't be released until the next Xbox though.

The one has trouble rendering games enough as it is. Even the PS4 is too weak to provide a proper VR experience IMO.

Games will be designed for this, and maybe it's coming with it's own processing power of some sorts.

fedexpeon

Banned
Good.
More competition in this area will spur faster innovation for a consumer friendly product.
Beside gaming, VR will have a huge impact in the medical, space/science, and military field.

Sony is already known for great medical filming/scanning technology...With VR training for surgeons, an easy billion+ dollars spinoff.
Heck, I don't even care about VR for gaming. It is just a side dish when talking about the real impact of VR technology.

Doukou

Seems like it's going to be a headset that enhances reality. I imagine one practical application for it would be in something like Halo where all the UI information is on your headset.
Though I question the part about interacting with Characters, I wonder how MS could replicate a something with just Enhanced Reality, that one Room Alive demo with the Granny was interesting but doesn't seem like what the CEO is saying.
I think them pushing this product as a consumer item is a giant possibility given they are already getting publisher's opinion on it.

Seanspeed

Banned
They're AR glasses with the ability to do VR. But the fov for VR is not as good as something like the rift because they're glasses. I mean that's what I suspect is the case.
Its hard to call something with a really low FoV 'VR' at all, really. I think even the Rift/Morpheus are dangerously close to the line between virtual reality and a screen with realistic 3d depth.

Hope it's way better than oculus, even it this means it won't be commercially viable many years for now. After testing the oculus I prefer to wait a some good years until the tech is more fleshed out than have it now on its current state.
1) Its unlikely to be a VR headset like the Rift.

2) The consumer version of the Rift is going to be better than what we have right now. Do realize that VR tech is advancing quickly and that what you see today is not necessarily what you're going to see tomorrow. This isn't static technology where 'what you see is what you get'.

Ziffles

Games will be designed for this, and maybe it's coming with it's own processing power of some sorts.
It doesn't really work like that, unfortunately. Unless it has a thunderbolt speed connection to the machine, you're not going to see any intense outboard enhancement for games. The only processing it would be doing is positioning, display, and input.

edit: and maybe some audio processing

VR is 3DTV on fucking crack. Its gonna be incredible.

For some, but I wouldn't be able to deal with it. I have to be able to look away from the screen every once in awhile even just for a half second to adjust my eyes. Pulling a VR headset off and on every couple of minutes seems like a huge hassle. AR sounds like it would be less immersive but since there is the ability to see parts of the room that aren't filled with an image seems more ideal for my situation.

Seanspeed

Banned
For some, but I wouldn't be able to deal with it. I have to be able to look away from the screen every once in awhile even just for a half second to adjust my eyes. Pulling a VR headset off and on every couple of minutes seems like a huge hassle. AR sounds like it would be less immersive but since there is the ability to see parts of the room that aren't filled with an image seems more ideal for my situation.
Ok, my statement wasn't really accuate. Its not actually like 3DTV apart from the ambition to provide a sense of depth to the user. VR is a lot more comfortable on your eyes than 3DTV is. A *lot* more. It feels quite natural.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Kinect could be a great complement to AR actually. To merge accurately virtual data and real data, it can help for the machine to have a good understanding of its environment.
An example I gave in another forum :
AR glasses + Kinect tracking your limbs => see your arms catch fire when powering up (since it's an overlay and "soft" effect, it doesn't even need to be very accurate).

Sounded super familiar so I searched. My prof has done the same thing. People actually felt heat sensations from Virtual fire.

http://www.magicvisionlab.com/pub/weir_ieeevr13/paper.pdf

Alx

Sounded super familiar so I searched. My prof has done the same thing. People actually felt heat sensations from Virtual fire.

http://www.magicvisionlab.com/pub/weir_ieeevr13/paper.pdf

That's funny, I didn't know of those works. Thanks for the link. It could be an issue if people start getting hurt with such experiences though, maybe the "flaming arms" idea isn't the best one in that case. ^^
Always interesting to see how our mind works. It reminds me of that experiment with hypnosis (not sure if it's real), where you tell someone you're going to touch their arm with a lit cigarette but do it with a pen instead. The story says the subjects will show real burn marks.

Sounds like Room Alive, which must be mindblowing to see in person - imagine what that kind of tech will be like in the future
after we're all dead :(

Doukou

Sounds like Room Alive, which must be mindblowing to see in person - imagine what that kind of tech will be like in the future
after we're all dead :(

Room Alive doesn't have a headset so it would be fairly different from any preview we have been shown.

Ok, my statement wasn't really accuate. Its not actually like 3DTV apart from the ambition to provide a sense of depth to the user. VR is a lot more comfortable on your eyes than 3DTV is. A *lot* more. It feels quite natural.

I'm not even talking about 3D tvs. Any game where I have to focus on what I'm doing its an issue. The only time its not is when its something passive like a movie or tv show, but even then I still need to divert my attention every once and awhile.

Omni

Maybe I'm just backwards but I still consider the idea to be well... stupid. I don't want to wear a big headset that limits outside vision while gaming. Ever.

I get why some people here love the idea. But meh

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm not even talking about 3D tvs. Any game where I have to focus on what I'm doing its an issue. The only time its not is when its something passive like a movie or tv show, but even then I still need to divert my attention every once and awhile.
Ah. That sucks man. Damn, how do even play Forza!? haha

It is true VR wont be for absolutely everyone, but I think its going to be for a lot more people than many expect.

Always interesting to see how our mind works. It reminds me of that experiment with hypnosis (not sure if it's real), where you tell someone you're going to touch their arm with a lit cigarette but do it with a pen instead. The story says the subjects will show real burn marks.

It's real, the same way the placebo effect is real. I recommend listening to this, and I'm currently reading this book, which also talks about those experiences, among other things.

Alx

Thanks for the links, I may look into that book too.
Also, it's funny how we're gradually getting close to that picture :

We expect Cortana to handle the "good morning Batman" aspect in a near future, and if the AR thing becomes true... well that'll be it. :p

The description reminds me a bit of that report someone gave from Valve where they reported being in the same room with an alien and being freaked out, but it wasn't a VR thing... some kind of tech that sounded similar to this.

Acorn

Microsoft spends enormous amounts of money on research that never amounts to anything more than a neat speculative video.
Well until some other company then makes it sell gangbusters and ms plays catch up years later.

JaggedSac

I was under the impression that the max fps of Kinect was 30, but it appears it actually has a max of 60. This would certainly be useful when doing AR/VR. Probably still not good enough, but certainly better than 30.

ZDQLITS.jpg

Perhaps this was common knowledge and I just missed it.

Amir0x

Banned
I love reading these topics ever since trying the Oculus Rift.

I can't wait to revisit these threads in ten years, after people realize just how insane and astonishing VR is. It's going to change the world, and no one can stop it. I would give my left hand to own a consumer unit at this point.

I really wish consoles would stay away from VR. They are going to kill this baby in the crib. The consoles just arent powerful enough to run proper VR games and this is just going to end up with people associating VR with shitty,ugly, poor performing games.

There is a natural order to gaming progress. FPS, online gaming, voice com, western RPG's, etc etc etc. These things get their start on PC then after a few years move on to consoles then everybody pretends like these things didnt exist before consoles.

JordanN

Banned
I really wish consoles would stay away from VR. They are going to kill this baby in the crib. The consoles just arent powerful enough to run proper VR games and this is just going to end up with people associating VR with shitty,ugly, poor performing games.

There is a natural order to gaming progress. FPS, online gaming, voice com, western RPG's, etc etc etc. These things get their start on PC then after a few years move on to consoles then everybody pretends like these things didnt exist before consoles.

If this crap could handle it, a console far more powerful can do it too.
jciLY4Y.png

The first games made with VR aren't going to have GTA5 level budgets. Games of PS3 caliber will still impress.

Amir0x

Banned
If this crap could handle it, a console a far more power can do it too.
jciLY4Y.png

The first games made with VR aren't going to have GTA5 level budgets. Games of PS3 calibur will still impress.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

trust me, that shit could NOT handle VR. You guys really have no idea how true VR feels if you're comparing it to virtual boy lol

it is not even in the same fuckin' galaxy as real VR >:)

JordanN

Banned
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

trust me, that shit could NOT handle VR. You guys really have no idea how true VR feels if you're comparing it to virtual boy lol

it is not even in the same fuckin' galaxy as real VR >:)
I know modern VR is going to be better than Virtual Boy, but is everyone expecting every game to be photorealistic?

What's wrong with something like Summer Lesson that takes place in a small room?

Alastor

It's going to change the world, and no one can stop it

I'm sure it's going to change MY world, and I haven't even tried it. But the whole concept is just dream come true for a sci-fi fan. Bring on the competition and lower prices!

I need a job fast :\

If this crap could handle it, a console a far more power can do it too.
jciLY4Y.png

The first games made with VR aren't going to have GTA5 level budgets. Games of PS3 calibur in native 1080p will still impress.

You posted a very good example of someone pushing VR before it was ready and thus associating VR with shitty looking games.

With the resolution and frames per second requirements of proper VR only the very most powerful PC's today can handle it. Consoles are struggling to hit 1080p @ 30 fps. The minimum for VR is 960 x 1080 (x 2) @ 60 fps. It's not going to happen for consoles. Instead what you will get on consoles is that VR will only work on certain games designed for it. That means games with poor visuals specifically to hold the resolution and fps. That will end up with the masses associating VR with poor quality games. Whereas on PC it works with any game that supports it. For example Star Citizen, the best looking game ever made. Damn just give it a generation and consoles will be ready for proper VR.

JordanN

Banned
You posted a very good example of someone pushing VR before it was ready and thus associating VR with shitty looking games.

With the resolution and frames per second requirements of proper VR only the very most powerful PC's today can handle it. Consoles are struggling to hit 1080p @ 30 fps. The minimum for VR is 960 x 1080 (x 2) @ 60 fps. It's not going to happen for consoles. Instead what you will get on consoles is that VR will only work on certain games designed for it. That means games with poor visuals specifically to hold the resolution and fps. That will end up with the masses associating VR with poor quality games. Whereas on PC it works with any game that supports it. For example Star Citizen, the best looking game ever made. Damn just give it a generation and consoles will be ready for proper VR.
The real problem with Virtual Boy is it was rushed to market. The lack of everything, including games, sent it to die.

There's no indication the same is happening right now (or else, why the wait for it still?).

I don't think power is a problem when VR runs on phones.

JaggedSac

If people are liking Gear VR, the consoles can do better than that.

Amir0x

Banned
I know modern VR is going to be better than Virtual Boy, but is everyone expecting every game to be photorealistic?

What's wrong with something like Summer Lesson that takes place in a small room?

I mean I can't even tell you how big the difference is. Virtual boy might as well not even be called VR, because it really, really isn't.

The VR that actually works - the stuff going around now - is mindblowing, it shifts the ground beneath your feet, it brings dreams to life, it makes you FEEL like you're actually THERE.

Virtual Boy never even remotely achieved this. I played VR, Wario, I stopped after two days and never touched it again. It did nothing for me. It made me go: :|. The feeling of Virtual Boy is essentially not even relatable to modern VR. It's as different as a moose is to a tea kettle.

Oculus Rift, after getting a demo that gave me a true sense of presence, changed everything. It altered everything I believed possible. It made me immediately grasp the immense implications this is going to have on the future I will be alive to see.

It is not some gimmicky peripheral like wiimote that's gonna fade into the background; not some nonsense waggle body shit like Kinect that everyone got over in a year.

I and my entire group who played the demo still now has been unable to stop talking about it. It comes up at least once per day. It changes everything.

I'm sure it's going to change MY world, and I haven't even tried it. But the whole concept is just dream come true for a sci-fi fan. Bring on the competition and lower prices!

I need a job fast :\

Wait until you try it man. I was the biggest skeptic on earth.

Shit blew my mind beyond my ability to adequately share it in words.

Daviii

People will have the choice between playing a game basically with 2x the visual fidelity in 2D or with the low detail setting in VR

Probably we will end up playing PS4 games with a visual fidelity of a 3D XBox One title so they don't feel like second class citizens

oldergamer

I'm not sure the XB1 has the horsepower necessary to competently do VR, so i imagine that they're pushing some form of AR, which is pretty funny given that it will need a camera to work with and they seem to be backpedaling on the kinect so hard these days.

I think you are totally wrong in that assumption.

It's probably just Fortaleza (which is damn cool, don't get me wrong), but what I'm really interested in is Fove. If MS can get Foveal rendering to work...

harSon

Banned
VR is awesome and has to be experienced to understand, but anyone who suffers from motion sickness is going to miserable. I own Oculus DK2, and I pretty much have to take medication just to bear it - and even then - some experiences are just to intense for me to literally stomach. No amount of medication or conditioning through consistent usage will ever fix that, and I doubt there's anything they can do from a hardware/software standpoint to alleviate that issue completely.

Sucks for those with weak ass stomachs like myself :(

Top Bottom