• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. for Wii U errors! [Update: General WiiU system failure error?]

Piccoro

UPDATE 2: Sounds like it's not Smash doing this, but a console failure. Can happen with any game.
1A3upza.png

Thank you alf717 and Zevenberge

UPDATE: There still isn't an universal solution, but if you encounter these errors, whatever you do DON'T FORMAT THE SYSTEM! You'll brick the console if you do so.

I'm scared!

Error code 160-0103 is said to be appearing at random for Wii U owners, though some users have mentioned the error occurs after playing the For Glory mode and starting their system up again.

According to users who have encountered the issue, it is allegedly due to a problem with the system memory. One theory claims the error code is caused by the game’s update data, and not the Wii U itself.

The error is only apparent with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, and all other parts of the system will function until Smash or the Data Management page on the Wii U HOME Menu is accessed.

Accessing Data Management will result in error code 160-1710, and from here a series of events can unfold. Reported problems currently include complete Wii U memory wipes, and even bricked systems.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...r_wii_u_facing_potential_error_code_nightmare
http://smashboards.com/threads/error-code-160-0103.380245/

I bought the game yesterday, and the only odd thing I noticed was a red X above the Download Management icon. First time seeing that. This was after I downloaded the update patch. Did you guys noticed anything strange?

Fuck, I had an error while downloading Smash Bros update yesterday, and had been playing online...I'm all lined up to having my Wii U fucked. I hope PAL games are out of this...

Piccoro

Well avoiding For Glory mode isn't hard at all.

Yeah, I just remembered I didn't play For Glory yesterday, just For Fun.
And the red X i saw it's maybe because the Wii U failed to download the latest system update? The one that fixes Mario Kart YouTube upload.

Persona7

Banned
I'm glad I haven't connected my wii u to the internet since I got smash bros.

apparently this happens if you quit for glory mode? I think it's time to play more 3D World and Monster Hunter.

Escalario

Banned
I remember there being a similar problem with MK8 few months ago.
I did played quite a lot of For Glory matches yesterday, and no problems today.

I played several For Glory matches online, had no issues.

My Wii U freezed a single time though (don't know when during the game), but nothing got deleted or bricked.

jimi_dini

My Wii U wasn't able to download the Smash update yesterday, maybe Nintendo already knows and pulled it?!

Time to play Arkham Origins.

L~A

From the looks of it, it's not just for Smash Bros.. Someone apparently got it with Scribblenauts.

And what's the firmware version for the Wii U, by the way?

Oh shit, I have the game coming to me in the next few days. Looks like I'll wait till they fix this or probably just avoid that mode all together.

Wii U next-gen confirmed.

But seriously, I wonder how much fire there really is. I can understand that the community isn't trying to reproduce it, but looking at it (and L~A's post about Scribblenauts) makes me think this is being made bigger than it is. Nevertheless, every console bricked or even every save file deleted is one too many.

Piccoro

From the looks of it, it's not just for Smash Bros.. Someone apparently got it with Scribblenauts.

And what's the firmware version for the Wii U, by the way?

That user reporting that Scribblenauts stuff actually has a fix for the Smash error! Apparently you have to go into the download management, and force the update several times!

jimi_dini

On the linked site someone said they found search results of that error code related to Mario Kart and 3D World.

Maybe it happens when the user turns off the system, while it auto-saves?!

Was it mentioned that those people also bought Smash? Maybe it's still Smash, but results in errors in other games as well.

Escalario

Banned
That user reporting that Scribblenauts stuff actually has a fix for the Smash error! Apparently you have to go into the download management, and force the update several times!

So it's firmware related?

Maybe it happens when the user turns off the system, while it auto-saves?!

Was it mentioned that those people also bought Smash? Maybe it's still Smash, but results in errors in other games as well.

There was a similar problem with MK8, and it was resolved via an update, but I can't remember if it was game or firmware update.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Has anyone actually looked up what those error codes mean?

If I was a betting man, I'd wager that this is more of a general system problem and is being attributed to Smash only because it's the game everyone is playing at the moment.

Piccoro

So it's firmware related?

There was a similar problem with MK8, and it was resolved via an update, but I can't remember if it was game or firmware update.

Must be because of the patch, IDK.
And to all the users admitting that they use WiFi to go online, that should be punishable by law!
Go get a LAN adapter now!

L~A

Has anyone actually looked up what those error codes mean?

If I was a betting man, I'd wager that this is more of a general system problem and is being attributed to Smash only because it's the game everyone is playing at the moment.

Errocode gives nothing on NoA website, they just tell you to restart your console, and if it's not fixed after a couple restart, you should contact support.

But yeah, from the looks of it, it's not Smash Bros.. And thousands of people have played the game online, in For Glory mode. If just playing using that mode lead to the bug, it'd be much more widespread I believe.

Anyway, hope it gets fixed asap.

My save data DID get deleted 2 days ago. Scorched earth that goddamn thing after the firmwire update. Lost all the data that wasnt on my Amiibos.

After restarting it all though I haven't gotten anything bad. If it wasn't a fighting game where unlocking everything was relatively easy I'd be MUCH more pissed off about losing my save.

I played a ton of Smash after reading about this and I had absolutely no issues.

I didn't go online though, just played a bunch of solo modes.

Kane1345

You can. The problem seems to be originated in the For Glory mode. So For Fun and With Friends should be safe.

Hmmm well I saw this in the comments in one of the links in the OP

Koz said:
@TreesenHauser
If what I experienced was the mentioned glitch, which I believe it was (with the differences being that I got a different error code for using an external hard drive, and having access to data management) I had not been online in days and had been using it several hours prior in just a normal 4 player, local smash. So I don't think its related to online play, personally.

I'll wait it out. Might as well be safe :)

Escalario

Banned
Hmmm well I saw this in the comments in one of the links in the OP

Koz said:
@TreesenHauser
If what I experienced was the mentioned glitch, which I believe it was (with the differences being that I got a different error code for using an external hard drive, and having access to data management) I had not been online in days and had been using it several hours prior in just a normal 4 player, local smash. So I don't think its related to online play, personally.

I'll wait it out. Might as well be safe :)

Ah I didn't saw that comment. Welp. Time to wait. Good thing I have other games to play for now lol.

Top Bottom