• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level-5 registers Yo-Kai Watch related trademarks in EU/US

ekim

untitledpguda.png

Direct links EU:
Whisper
Jibanyan

US:
http://www.trademarkia.com/whisper-86475243.html
http://www.trademarkia.com/jibanyan-86475247.html

Yo-Kai Watch coming to the West?

Unrelated bonus:
Square Enix registers Colossus Command
(Sounds like some mobile game)

Whisper me bad words if old.

It makes sense, considering the rampant success of the Youkai Watch franchise in Japan.

They might as well give localisation a shot. Maybe it will be a runaway international success like Pokemon and skyrocket Level 5 to new heights.

FStop7

Banned
I'm interested. I've heard so much about this game on the 8-4 podcast, but I haven't seen it for myself.

Foffy

Banned
Hope the games come at an adequate timetable. Maybe Nintendo will get behind it internationally? They've done so with every handheld release from Level-5 that's come out of Japan.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yo-Kai looks funny at first.... but it does get Westerners to say the name properly.

It's basically the same as the é accent in Pokémon.

Though that didn't stop people from calling it Po-kee-mon. I guess few English speakers understand what the é meant.

ubiblu

Yokai Watch has already ruined Pokemon for me after 15 years of playing them to death. It is such a fun, well made series and I can't wait to see it explode in the West.

Zukkoyaki

Pretty sure the entire world has been waiting for a legitimate Pokemon challenger to emerge for a long time. I'm really looking forward to checking this series out myself.

Bladenic

I highly doubt this will be the new Pokemon or even on the same level as Japan in the West. But I still think it has potential and will probably be decently popular.

Also I want it badly.

big_z

Didnt they announce for a localization long ago ??!?!?

im pretty sure they did. the 8-4 guys were talking about it months ago. its possible it was the tv show they were talking about though, which is also coming over.

I highly doubt this will be the new Pokemon or even on the same level as Japan in the West. But I still think it has potential and will probably be decently popular.

Also I want it badly.

it will definitely be a harder sell but if they can get the collecting hooks into kids it will take off. im interested in trying the game myself.

Forkball

Jibanyan in the West as well? Not Jibameow?

You gotta keep the mascot's name the same for easier international branding. Just look at Pikachu. The hell does Pika or Chu mean in English? NOTHING.

I would get hyped, but then I realized I have a Japanese 3DS and YW3 will be out in Japan before the US gets YW1. It's certainly a series to keep your eye on though.

I was waiting for this. Interested in seeing how they'd approach the localisation. The Japanese cultural references are pretty deeply ingrained in the entire game as far as I know.

Nightbird

I was waiting for this. Interested in seeing how they'd approach the localisation. The Japanese cultural references are pretty deeply ingrained in the entire game as far as I know.

I actually want the Game to stay as Japanese as possible.
A Japanese Language Option would be nice too :)

Dr. Buni

Finally!

I wonder if someone will make a proper site/wiki for this game once it is out in the west.

Also I want it badly.
I think it has the potential to surpass Pokémon or be the new Pokémon, but I don't think Level 5 is capable of handling the franchise's success :/

PsionBolt

Jibanyan, huh... I hope they put serious effort into the localization. There might be artistic logic behind leaving things extremely Japanese, but I'd rather the game sell well.

You gotta keep the mascot's name the same for easier international branding. Just look at Pikachu. The hell does Pika or Chu mean in English? NOTHING.

I would get hyped, but then I realized I have a Japanese 3DS and YW3 will be out in Japan before the US gets YW1. It's certainly a series to keep your eye on though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pika

But yeah, sure. Why would they localise Jibanyan, it's just a hassle.

Asd202

The show is the most important thing about the future of this franchise in the West IMO. How it will it perform will impact the sales of the games grately.

Syril

I always figured Level-5's biggest obstacle to releasing their games overseas was finding publishers. They've been self-publishing their games in Japan for years, but the only overseas release they handled themselves was the (already translated) eShop release of Inazuma Eleven.

Busaiku

I always figured Level-5's biggest obstacle to releasing their games overseas was finding publishers. They've been self-publishing their games in Japan for years, but the only overseas release they handled themselves was the (already translated) eShop release of Inazuma Eleven.
Well, they did release Guild 01/02 too.

Nice. I'm interested.

Still, they need to push this like hell here if they want to reach Pokemon numbers like it's happening in Japan.

Matriox

I don't know much other than I occasionally read on here that they like it more than Pokémon, I'll make some room in my backlog for it for sure.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

I'm hopeful that they stick with it - if only to see the amount of vitriol coming out of the naysayers. We had people on GAF throwing pillows at their monitors when Ni no Kuni was released intact without a name change. God bless.

Top Bottom