• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Small bit of Zelda Wii U info from the iJustine/Miyamoto interview.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Cool new bit of info from iJustine's Interview with Miyamoto saying that the game is mostly being designed so that you don't necesarily have to sit down and play for long periods of time but rather to match more of today's lifestyle where you just want to sit down and play for little bit and then continue doing other stuff but of course mantaining that Zelda aesthic always intact. So exciting cuz this sounds more like what they did with A Link Between Worlds.

Justine thankfully also asked the question that we've all wanted to ask - is there going to be stuff to do on the overworld? I was very happy with this interview.

You showed the Zelda trailer and that's such a huge world. How is that going to be for you guys to approach as far as gameplay and story, because it's such a huge world.
With Zelda games, what we've always done is try to make them where you enter this big world of Hyrule and there's a lot to explore and discover, but because of the hardware limitations, what we've had to do is segment off each area and piece those segments together in a way that make them feel like a big world. Now with the hardware capabilities of the Wii U, what we did was we first started by saying well let's see what we can do if we take an entire world the size of the world from Twilight Princess and just try to make that as one area on the game.

Do you see that as a game where people will go to complete a certain mission and they end up doing fifty things along the way?

Yeah, there may even be times where you forget what your goal is, because you are doing other things on the side. There may be times where you go in to one big one long dungeon, or you're headed for a dungeon and doing other things on the side. What we're trying to do is design it in a way where you don't have to play it for a super long time, but more matched to today's lifestyle where you can think for a little bit, and say "maybe I just want to play for a little bit today and do this one thing." and get that thing done, then take a break.

If any of this is true, there's gonna be a lot to do in that "empty" world.

walnuts

I haven't played Twilight Princess yet. I've heard the overworld there is 5 times OoT. If that's correct, that world will be huge.

I'm still waiting for a non offscreen video of the footage they showed at the Game Awards, being offscreen I'm quite sure we were missing lots of details and the world wasn't as empty as we felt.

Holy crap, Zelda Wii U will contain areas that are the same size as the Twilight Princess world?

Hype..keeps..rising! Damn you 2014, why won't you end?

rhandino

Banned
Wut? An area even bigger than the Hyrule of Twilight Princess? This sounds awesome to be honest.

Now let's see how many dungeons they can put in there, personally I would love something akin to ALBW but expanded: Some big ass dungeons Twilight Princess style and some little dungeons littered around the world to tests items and skills.

Shahadan

Looking forward to get bajillions rupees in rewards and chests everywhere while only being able to have 999(9?) at a time.

If they want to keep people interested I hope their "side activities" aren't anything like TP.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Now, with the hardware capabilities of Wii U, we first started by saying if we can take an entire world the size of the world from Twilight Princess, and make that the size of one of the areas in the game.

He's implying here that one of the areas of the Zelda Wii U map is as big as the entire map of Twilight Princess.

Madness, if true.

EDIT: Quote was wrong, ignore this post.

Lunar15

I feel like that's always been Zelda's MO, though. You could just do one thing at a time. Zelda's always kind of been pick up and play, except for maybe like, in dungeons.

dc89

4TfeeGW.png

Sounds amazing.

Mael

He's implying here that one of the areas of the Zelda Wii U map is as big as the entire map of Twilight Princess.

Madness, if true.

Pretty much, so if I get this right basically Zora's Domain in Zelda U is the size of.....Twilight Princess?
I hope there's warp points because there's no way that just traveling is enough!

DarkKyo

I hate how the only thing we really know about the game is that the overworld is big. We seriously haven't read/seen ANYTHING else about it.

Neff

My hunch is that they're going to try and marry Zelda's focused goals with Animal Crossing's disposable, time-killing pursuits, although presumably (hopefully) with a more satisfying payoff.

Pretty much, so if I get this right basically Zora's Domain in Zelda U is the size of.....Twilight Princess?
I hope there's warp points because there's no way that just traveling is enough!

There's never been a Zelda game without warping.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I hate how the only thing we really know about the game is that the overworld is big. We seriously haven't read/seen ANYTHING else about it.

And that there should be so much to do you'll forget what you wanted to do in the first place.

It sounds pretty on-point with what they've always been saying. They're doing an open-world Zelda with a Nintendo twist on that basic concept.

It sounds fantastic. It's basically what I've wanted from a Zelda game since I first played through Zelda 1 back in 2006. The linear direction that it kept going toward was just turning me off the series completely.

EDIT: I hope the game is actually challenging or at least have a Hard Mode from the beginning. I'm not talking Dark Souls levels of difficulty, but not something so piss easy it renders most of the game's internal mechanics pointless. Twilight Princess also suffered greatly from that as well.

Madness, if true.

I'm not sure he's saying that, though :p
My memories of TP are a little fuzzy, but by eyeing it, the map looks like about 4 times TP's. I might be REALLY off though.

Wut? An area even bigger than the Hyrule of Twilight Princess? This sounds awesome to be honest.

Now let's see how many dungeons they can put in there, personally I would love something akin to ALBW but expanded: Some big ass dungeons Twilight Princess style and some little dungeons littered around the world to tests items and skills.
That sounds awesome, but I hope Nintendo can pull it off.

Twilight princess is pretty big, not as big as most open world games now but pretty big. It was also dead. Big dead expanses that were boring to look at and boring to travel through.

I'm skeptical Nintendo can create a world that is big but still charming and feels hand crafted. Majora's Mask is my favorite 3D Zelda and it unsurprisingly features less open space than other 3D Zelda games. I'll take crammed with character over big, beautiful, bland expanses.

Madness, if true.
If I'm honest, I hope not. A huge world map really just means either you get ubisoft style content over the map, or barren areas. While OoT had large maps at the time, you could get from one side of the overworld to the other easily within... 5 or so minutes (and had to for that eyedrop quest!). Granted, that's not counting the gerudo desert area in OoT.

I much prefer the OoT or even as recently as Link between worlds maps, where functionally you can get from one side to the other in mere minutes, but they still feel large.

Maybe they could make it reallly dense in content, but every other 3d zelda game leads me to believe they can't, and I rather hope it doesn't degrade to Xenoblade style shiny objects and isdequests as "content" to justify the large map.

Lunar15

That sounds awesome, but I hope Nintendo can pull it off.

Twilight princess is pretty big, not as big as most open world games now but pretty big. It was also dead. Big dead expanses that were boring to look at and boring to travel through.

I'm skeptical Nintendo can create a world that is big but still charming and feels hand crafted. Majora's Mask is my favorite 3D Zelda and it unsurprisingly features less open space than other 3D Zelda games. I'll take crammed with character over big, beautiful, bland expanses.

This is how I feel as well. That being said, I have cautious optimism because this team has never really let me down before. I trust them to deliver some good, focused content.

Servbot24

Banned
I haven't played Twilight Princess yet. I've heard the overworld there is 5 times OoT. If that's correct, that world will be huge.

I'd guess larger than 5x. That said it's pointless because there's nothing to do in it. TP had the worst overworld of a Zelda game.

My memories of TP are a little fuzzy, but by eyeing it, the map looks like about 4 times TP's. I might be REALLY off though.

Zelda is usually split into about 7 areas, the main field, Zora area, Death Mountain, Lake Hylia, a forest, a desert and a town.

So you might expect it to be 6-8 times larger than TP, but if it's four times larger I think that's still consistent and Miyamoto was just exaggerating a little.

I'd guess larger than 5x. That said it's pointless because there's nothing to do in it. TP had the worst overworld of a Zelda game.

Eh, it's not great, but I'd still say it's better than the ocean of WW or the sky of SS.

But seeing as the last 3d zelda game I could say "I like this overworld!" is MM, for the same reasons I posted above, I'm not yet hopefu.

I wouldn't get too excited. This is basically my approach to The Wind Waker HD and we all know what people thought about that overworld.

Nintendo makes good games though.

I would be more confident if ALBW didn't prioritize exploration at the clear and obvious expense of dungeon complexity and combat balancing.

They already screwed the pooch once and they were lauded for it. I fully expect those trends to continue in this title unless Nintendo hates money.

Hiltz

I don't buy it. The entire world of Twilight Princess as one area in Zelda Wii U would be too big even with some short cuts.

I would be more confident if ALBW didn't prioritize exploration at the clear and obvious expense of dungeon complexity and combat balancing.

They already screwed the pooch once and they were lauded for it. I fully expect those trends to continue in this title unless Nintendo hates money.

But ALBW had some of the best dungeons in 2D Zelda history.

Asbear

Banned
As long as those procrastinations are not akin to those of Dragon Age Inquisition, because those were 30/75 hours of boredom for me.

rhandino

Banned
That's true, I replayed Twilight Princess last month and even if the world is huge and some parts are amazing the Hyrule Fields were pretty much dead compared to areas like Zoras Domain, Death Mountain and Hyrule Castle who were full of npcs a things to do.

I'm skeptical Nintendo can create a world that is big but still charming and feels hand crafted.
Well, Nintendo did create Xenoblade Chronicles that has even bigger areas but they all feel hand crafted and incredible lively thanks to animal life and also the grass, also they rewarded exploration with exp, money and breathtaking vistas (The moment you reach one of the secret areas of Gaur Plains, my god!)

I don't know, it's cool and shows how far technology has progressed but the more I look at the info in the OP the more I think "Errr..errr.. err..Yeah, yeah, but your game designers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

Making an overworld that's bigger than TP's whole map doesn't seem necessary and it feels like they're focusing way too much on superfluous side stuff that doesn't really contribute to Zelda core game play elements.
:p

Kinsei

Banned

His comment about giant dungeons gives me hope that they'll make some good ones this time.

Well they sure as hell can't make everyone happy. I'm fine with what they do if it turns out to be good. ALBW was a great game. Not my favorite, but well designed and a great deal of fun just like most Zelda games. The dungeons in ALBW weren't terribly huge or complicated, but they were still fun with great pacing and some neat puzzle design.

I don't understand when people say TP was empty. There were always different enemies to kill along the away, and the horseback battles were awesome. Maybe the secret areas were limited, that is different from being barren.

Amir0x

Banned
As always, it heavily depends on the content of those side things.

I don't want Zelda to be the next Assassin's Creed Factory game where there's a million collectathons and boring busywork and it mostly serves as filler as you try to spend the awkwardly long time just trying to get to the destinations you actually want to go.

This is very precarious ground they're on, I hope they succeed but after some of their past few Zelda experiments I'm going to be a bit more cautious the entire lead up to this game.

Kinsei

Banned
I don't understand when people say TP was empty. There were always different enemies to kill along the away, and the horseback battles were awesome. Maybe the secret areas were limited, that is different from being barren.

What reason was there to fight the enemies in Hyrule field? They existed purely to be an annoyance whenever you were forced into wolf form.

Mael

In Tp you basically had 4 OoT Hyrule plain size connected to make the hyrule plain that circled around Hyrule castle, only 1 of these areas would be loaded in memory (hence why there were only narrow passages leading one area to the other).

But ALBW had some of the best dungeons in 2D Zelda history.

Every puzzle had only one possible solution due to the one item at a time item rental system. They pretty much solved themselves. At least in the other games you had options as to what a puzzle's solutions were, not so in ALBW.

Another big problem is that all the dungeons had to be designed to be played first, so they never had any puzzles that werent immediately graspable either.

I don't have a problem with large, empty fields as I see them all the time. I realize it's a videogame but I don't need to be doing something strictly specific at all times. IMO chilling in the open beauty of Hyrule is a treat in of itself.

Verger

Banned
I just really really hope they make their sidequests and hidden gems "special", and try to cut down on "filler".

Yeah, that is pretty damn vague of me, but it's the best I can come up with after going through more "open-world" type games like Skyrim and Dragon Age Inquisition.

Kriken

So... Our first wallet isn't gonna have a 200 ruppee limit, right? Gotta get some reward for cutting all that grass

Top Bottom