• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Small bit of Zelda Wii U info from the iJustine/Miyamoto interview.

I thought that they put a major focus in the wall merging mechanic than the items used. Most temples need not only a required item (like almost all Zelda games) but also the wall merging (Since that is the power that the developers know the player will always have) and that lead to a puzzles and dungeons that are more fast paced but still fun and rewarding to beat, I think ALBW dungeons were perfect for the portable format.

And don't get me wrong, I really really love the dungeons of TP, SS and WW for their complexity and massive size but for a portable I think more short and focused dungeons hit that sweet spot, at least for me.

I'd agree with that and would be able to be more forgiving to that design decision if Minish Cap, PH, and Spirit Track's dungeons didn't exist.
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate ALBW and I think it's a great 3DS game but it feels like such a step backwards for me.
It feels pointless for them to have designed simple fast paced "2D" Zelda dungeons when they already figured out how to make complex OoT/TP/SS-caliber dungeon design portable in all the way back on the GBA.
:p

Ninjimbo

Ugh. I'm having visions of this game having Skyrim/Far Cry style content. I got fed up with the bullshit missions and the copy and paste caves. I hope none of that is in this game.

He's implying here that one of the areas of the Zelda Wii U map is as big as the entire map of Twilight Princess.

Madness, if true.

Well did you guys actually watch the trailer? That was pretty clear. I'd put the landmass somewhere around 2/3 Skyrim level.

kunonabi

It sounds pretty on-point with what they've always been saying. They're doing an open-world Zelda with a Nintendo twist on that basic concept.

It sounds fantastic. It's basically what I've wanted from a Zelda game since I first played through Zelda 1 back in 2006. The linear direction that it kept going toward was just turning me off the series completely.

EDIT: I hope the game is actually challenging or at least have a Hard Mode from the beginning. I'm not talking Dark Souls levels of difficulty, but not something so piss easy it renders most of the game's internal mechanics pointless. Twilight Princess also suffered greatly from that as well.

Every 3D Zelda was like that. SS was the only one that tried to avoid that really.

TheMoon

People, stop talking about fucking Skyrim already. EAD is not Bethesda lol (game will have good gameplay and actually work^^).

Armigr

With the map being so big, I really hope they pull a Darksiders 1 and have one dungeon that's just a really dangerous, sectioned off outdoors area in the overworld. I think that would be a really neat change of pace!

"Now, with the hardware capabilities of Wii U, we first started by saying if we can take an entire world the size of the world from Twilight Princess, and make that the size of one of the areas in the game."
Sounds like they're doubling down on the long running folly of console Zelda games. If they couldn't fill a world the size of TP with meaningful content why on Earth would the starting point for a new Zelda be making it even bigger? I can't imagine them scaling the amount of useful items, dungeons, and NPCs with the size of the world, so what exactly is going to fill it? Subdivide hearts containers even further? Pick bushels of apples and find 10,000 rupee chests guarded by the same smattering of common baddies in cut and paste caves? I'd love to think that somehow miraculously the world will be teeming with interesting stuff, but I can't find anything in media or interviews that would suggest as much. A sense of discovery is what's interesting about exploration, not the repetition of performing the same predictable watered down tasks in hundreds of places.

Setting my expectations low. The majesty of a vast landscape wears of quickly, and frankly doesn't even have the same up front novelty it did a few generations ago. Every time I read these Zelda interviews I can't help but feel Nintendo doesn't "get" their own series anymore. The actual bits and pieces are all there, but the way they string them all together into a whole has become increasingly tedious. There's been a number of times when an interviewer brings up the most obvious design problems in the world and Aonuma is like "Gee, I hasn't thought about that. I guess I'll have to now!". How can I believe in the vision of the person charged with helming the series when they can't even identify obvious recurrent problems? It's depressing. I want to have belief in this game, but after the past decade I'm wary of new mainline Zelda games. I can't feel the hype anymore. Here's hoping they pull a rabbit out of their hat and surprise me.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Sounds like they're doubling down on the long running folly of console Zelda games. If they couldn't fill a world the size of TP with meaningful content why on Earth would the starting point for a new Zelda be making it even bigger? I can't imagine them scaling the amount of useful items, dungeons, and NPCs with the size of the world, so what exactly is going to fill it? Subdivide hearts containers even further? Pick bushels of apples and find 10,000 rupee chests guarded by the same smattering of common baddies in cut and paste caves? I'd love to think that somehow miraculously the world will be teeming with interesting stuff, but I can't find anything in media or interviews that would suggest as much. A sense of discovery is what's interesting about exploration, not the repetition of performing the same predictable watered down tasks in hundreds of places.

Setting my expectations low. The majesty of a vast landscape wears of quickly, and frankly doesn't even have the same up front novelty it did a few generations ago. Every time I read these Zelda interviews I can't help but feel Nintendo doesn't "get" their own series anymore. The actual bits and pieces are all there, but the way they string them all together into a whole has become increasingly tedious. There's been a number of times when an interviewer brings up the most obvious design problems in the world and Aonuma is like "Gee, I hasn't thought about that. I guess I'll have to now!". How can I believe in the vision of the person charged with helming the series when they can't even identify obvious recurrent problems? It's depressing. I want to have belief in this game, but after the past decade I'm wary of new mainline Zelda games. I can't feel the hype anymore. Here's hoping they pull a rabbit out of their hat and surprise me.

People learn from their mistakes.

Nintendo isn't Ubisoft.

How are you estimating when we couldn't even see the entire map? There's not real way to guess anything but the size of what was visible
They show the scale between Link and the marked tower in the distance, then zoom out to show the entire overworld map. They literally show you the scale of the world.

People learn from their mistakes.

Nintendo isn't Ubisoft.
Really? Because they've been making the same mistakes since WW imo, and a lot of those were magnifications of issues already starting to crop up in OoT (which was more understandable because it broke so much new ground). Maybe they should look at earlier Zelda games, which already provided a more sensible template than increasing the distance between everything.

Ugh. I'm having visions of this game having Skyrim/Far Cry style content. I got fed up with the bullshit missions and the copy and paste caves. I hope none of that is in this game.

I can't wait for synchronization towers/outposts in a Zelda game.

No I couldn't make this post with a straight face.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Maybe they should look at earlier Zelda games, which already provided a more sensible template than increasing the distance between everything.

Well, the first game they showed when they talked about the inspiration for Zelda Wii U was the first Legend of Zelda, so that part is covered.

Also, I watched the interview and it seems Miyamoto was saying about the Twilight Princess map: "Let's try to take the map of Twilight Princess and see if we can make it so there's no loading at all between each regions and just make it one big map."

And A Link Between Worlds is already a big step in the right direction.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Nintendo has been nailing their HD games. I have no doubt they'll nail Zelda U as well, especially since there has never been a bad Zelda, despite what anyone says.

Partition

Banned
Nintendo has been nailing their HD games. I have no doubt they'll nail Zelda U as well, especially since there has never been a bad Zelda, despite what anyone says.

well I think 'bad Zelda' and 'bad game' are two different things imo, arguably the last three console Zelda's have certainly not been 'great Zelda's', but all have been good games.

Muffdraul

well I think 'bad Zelda' and 'bad game' are two different things imo, arguably the last three console Zelda's have certainly not been 'great Zelda's', but all have been good games.

TP is the only Zelda I would classify as "not a great Zelda, but but not a bad game per se."

SS haters can go kiss a duck.

I can believe it. Consider that 360 was able to run GTAV, Skyrim and Red Dead then I don't disbelieve this information at all.

I think that once again, like with many Wii U games, the graphics in Zelda 2015 are nothing we haven't seen before. It's just Nintendo's incredible knack for nailing art styles at play yet again. We rarely see open world games that look as lush and vibrant as this after all.

Really good looking stuff.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It'd be hard to believe that, after having an incredible track record for their Wii U games, that they would mess up HERE, with what is arguably the Wii U's most important game.

Maybe after Smash Bros.

Partition

Banned
TP is the only Zelda I would classify as "not a great Zelda, but but not a bad game per se."

SS haters can go kiss a duck.

Why? TP has the best dungeons out of WW, TP, SS. Easily, no contest. Dungeons are the meat of the Zelda game and typically the most memorable aspect of them.

Also story wise TP blows SS out of the water. Character wise, too (Midna vs Fi).

Even though TP has a relatively 'empty' overworld, it still was much more exciting to explore than the Sky.

But I suppose I am interested in why you classify SS as being a better Zelda game than TP?

Hiko

Banned
How does this compare in size to WW's ocean?

I'm more concerned with their ability to make the game feel like an actual adventure and how they implement the combat system. That's more important than how many square miles the map is. I want the swordplay to feel heavy and deliberate.

Am I the only one who literally likes every Zelda? :p
I like some entries more than others, but I don't hate or dislike any of them.

I mean, every Zelda-fan has a different opinion, someone hates Twilight Princess, someone loves Twilight Princess, someone hates Skyward Sword, someone likes it more, so it's really hard to please everyone.

The good part about Zelda, for me, is that they try new things with every entry and I don't know a single other franchise where the developers have to balls to pull a Wind Waker after Majora's Mask, etc. I appreciate this and that's why I look forward to the next entry, doesn't matter what they come up with.

Astral Dog

Why? TP has the best dungeons out of WW, TP, SS. Easily, no contest. Dungeons are the meat of the Zelda game and typically the most memorable aspect of them.

Also story wise TP blows SS out of the water. Character wise, too (Midna vs Fi).

Even though TP has a relatively 'empty' overworld, it still was much more exciting to explore than the Sky.

But I suppose I am interested in why you classify SS as being a better Zelda game than TP?

I thought the more challenging combat of SS pushed it above, along with the art direction, and music quality.

Also, Skyloft was more memorable to me than any of the locations of Twilight Princess, but thats all, they are surprisingly similar games.

rhandino

Banned
I'd agree with that and would be able to be more forgiving to that design decision if Minish Cap, PH, and Spirit Track's dungeons didn't exist.
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate ALBW and I think it's a great 3DS game but it feels like such a step backwards for me.
Maybe the next step is main dungeons (Minish Cap style) and side dungeons (ALBW) so you can beat some quick dungeon and when you have more time tackle the main ones... also 60 fps in handheld Zelda please!

Astral Dog

Also, what he says on hardware limitations its true, and kinda interesting.

When you have few resources, something like the overworld of Twilight Princess or Wind Waker is going to suffer in some way. its not only a design decision, thats why i hope the overworld on Zelda U is truly an evolution filled with more interesting things to do and see.

Most people cant see when complaining about these overworlds thet they were on what is today archaic and pitiful hardware

The Ancient Cistern and the whole Lanayru Province says hi; Skyward Sword's dungeon design is easily on par with what what found in TP.
Also, the Sky wasn't the only overworld in SS; are you forgetting the whole of Hyrule and it's dungeon-like elements???
I liked TP's overworld (Fields, forest, and things like that tend to be "empty" in IRL people), but I found SS's Hyrule to be much more engaging and meaningful than TP's. The things that the player was required to do actually matched up with the important core gameplay elements that are universal in Zelda. And don't even get me started on Skyloft, that placed was packed with content.

Putting all this aside though, they're both really great Zelda games as far as I'm concerned (right up there with OoT) the differences in quality are slight.

Edit:
Maybe the next step is main dungeons (Minish Cap style) and side dungeons (ALBW) so you can beat some quick dungeon and when you have more time tackle the main ones... also 60 fps in handheld Zelda please!

Might not be a bad idea really. Hehehe

RPGCrazied

I just want to know what the subtitle is, and when this is set. But during the demo we see link with the sail cloth, so this could be a SS sequel.

I really hope this is the best Zelda yet. For me, its still Twilight Princess.

Zero²

I know the other thread has loads of pages but some people in this thread should really take a look at it. The game won't be empty, thats exactly what shiggy is saying, remember, even the trees will have fruit you can pick up, small things like that that make or Break an immersion on a openworld game.

Kouriozan

Am I the only one who literally likes every Zelda? :p
I like some entries more than others, but I don't hate or dislike any of them.
Nope, I'm like you.
It's never "more of the same" and each new Zelda bring interesting features.
Loved the stamina meter and dungeon-like aeras of SS.
TP dungeons are the best and liked the overworld/story.
WW's exploration is really good, really felt like treasure hunting.

So yeah, I'm liking each 3D Zelda for what they are/offer.

Muffdraul

Just pretend I sat here and typed the exact opposite of your opinions, because generally that would be the case. I might be able to agree that Midna was a better character than Fi. But not by much. Actually, Midna was more grating. I hate that "spunky/bitchy" character trope. It was just a rehash of Tetra from WW. I'll take a bland robot over that.

To me TP felt completely uninspired and by-the-book. It was obvious they went "Whoops, they got really mad at us for WW, after the 'realistic Zelda' GCN footage we showed. Better give them what they want" though their hearts weren't in it. I thought the character design and overall art direction were easily ugliest the series' history, or at least since it went 3-D.

Dr. Buni

The world of Twilight Princess was boring as hell, so this news aren't exciting to me. Hopefully they will not commit the same stupid mistakes they committed with TP.

I much preferred the tighter and more focused experience of Skyward Sword, to be honest.

I also don't get how people can say TP had better dungeons than SS. SS dungeons are the finest the series had since it moved to the 3D realm.

Partition

Banned
SS had one cute dungeon, Ancient Cystern. The Pirate Ship was nice but way too short.

TP had Snowpeak, Arbiter's Grounds, Temple Of Time, and City In The Sky.

As for controls, there really wasn't anything 'tight' or innovative about them to me. Oft they were frustrating, especially when flying or swimming. They only led to lazy "wait for enemy to open up, then slash" gameplay; which made every single enemy appear monotonous. Which is sad because M+ swordplay could have actually been really innovate and interesting, if enemies had better AI and weren't all the same / defeated in a few blows to the same weak spot.

People say TP's world was boring but it actually felt like a... world. SS was like a giant puzzle with corridors as segments of the world. It didn't feel natural and made the game feel claustrophobic and honestly antiquated. The segments were so linear that I felt no compelling reason to ever revisit any of them.

NeonZ

Sounds like they're doubling down on the long running folly of console Zelda games. If they couldn't fill a world the size of TP with meaningful content why on Earth would the starting point for a new Zelda be making it even bigger?

So, you skipped Skyward Sword? They acknowledged those complaints and designed an overworld that was pretty much a bunch of interconnected corridors, filled with enemies, puzzles and secrets. However, that seemed to be harshly rejected by the fanbase due to the loss of open spaces and scale. I don't think they'll manage to carry on Skyward Sword's content filled locations to a game with this scale, but it's pretty clear that most of the fanbase welcomed a large world like Twilight Princess' more than Skyward Sword's closed and dungeon-like surface.

If I can just have a bigger Skyward Sword, I will be more than happy. They need to build on the stuff that made SS the best entry so far, such as the "overworld dungeons". I get so happy thinking about Lanayru Desert man. So good.

I would really like it if item crafting and forging became an important part of the game instead of something you can do without. Thatd be cool.

So, you skipped Skyward Sword? They acknowledged those complaints and designed an overworld that was pretty much a bunch of interconnected corridors, filled with enemies, puzzles and secrets. However, that seemed to be harshly rejected by the fanbase due to the loss of open spaces and scale. I don't think they'll manage to carry on Skyward Sword's content filled locations to a game with this scale, but it's pretty clear that most of the fanbase welcomed a large world like Twilight Princess' more than Skyward Sword's closed one.

I wouldn't say it was harshly rejected...I think a lot of people liked it and a lot of people were neutral towards it...but the loudest opinions usually tend to be negative and those negative opinions often seem more numerous when the fans are done gushing.

Can't say I disagree with any of this.

My main concern is how they could even fill the world with interesting things to do, the gameplay of Zelda has never been that deep and I don't mean that as an insult, but imo it works better when it's more tightly focused. The biggest focus in terms of gameplay content in Zelda games seems to be around dungeons, the puzzles and bosses in them, not in the exploration of the world. I feel like a lot of people want a large world just for the novelty of it. Pretty much every 3d Zelda has had these big stretches of land to make the world look and feel big with basically nothing actually going on in them. Now it seems like they're taking this to the extreme, which is worrying.

It definitely LOOKS cool and I definitely want to be excited but I'm just not sure what I'm even supposed to be excited for.

I should note I actually like how Skyward Sword did more with locations outside of dungeons although I still don't really care for the game itself.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The Legend of Zelda U |OT| Morrowind Waker

inMCgLCOtcdkH.gif

maxcriden

Amiibo support's in consideration for Zelda:
While Mr. Miyamoto wasn't ready to reveal specific details, he did say that Nintendo plans on offering up some sort of amiibo support in both Zelda Wii U and StarFox Wii U. As far as the extent of those implementations, no information was given.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/243855-nintendo-considering-amiibo-support-for-starfox-wii-u-zelda-wii-u

What kind of amiibo support would be sufficiently immersive for a mainline Zelda? It's the kind of game where I imagine a la the Tingle Tuner there could be some kind of in-game explanation.

Top Bottom