• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marco Reus (German football player) fined €540,000 for driving without licence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Borussia Dortmund and Germany winger Marco Reus has been fined more than half a million euros for driving without a licence for years.

The 25-year-old international, who has been advertising the club’s car sponsor and has also been in ads for a petrol company, received speeding tickets on at least five occasions since 2011 before authorities realised he had been driving without a licence ever since.

“I decided back then to take that road but the reasons I did it are something I cannot really understand today,” Reus, a transfer target for many top European clubs, was quoted as telling Bild newspaper on Wednesday.
Second Captains

Dortmund’s prosecutor’s office said the fine was €540,000 related to incidents from 2011 until this March.

“Today I know that I was too naive and that it was stupid. I have learned my lesson and this will not happen again,” Reus said.

The club said they had discussed the matter with the player who said he had made a “stupid” mistake.

“He has promised such a thing will not happen again,” club spokesman Sascha Fligge told reporters. “We see no reason to doubt his words because we hold Marco both as a player and as a person in high regard.”

Reus, who missed Germany’s World Cup triumph in July after picking up an injury in the final warm-up game, is currently out with another ankle injury.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...540-000-for-driving-without-licence-1.2042353

Reus-Opel.png

Must be the most expensive fine ever in Germany for driving without a licence.

Irminsul

There goes 4 weeks of salary, so sorry for Reus :(

Actually about three months (90 days).

Do they scale fines to a percentage of income or something?

With "usual" traffic fines no, but this was a court verdict, which is generally based on what you get paid.

Also, Reus should get a ban on applying for a licence for the next few years, but of course he won't, as he's famous.

Randam

With all his injuries, you'd think he'd have plenty of time to get the license.

well, he thought didn't need one but what a coincident, "Today [he] know that [he] was too naive and that it was stupid. [he] ha learned [his] lesson and this will not happen again".

tbm24

Kind of weird to be booked for speeding in a country that has a section of highway with no speed limit and a massive race track you can roll up to and go for a round.

jorma

is now taking requests
No, he's still a criminal, but he doesn't have to admit he's one. That's the thing that starts with 91 day-fines.

Can you expand on this a bit? Sounds a bit weird. If someone asks me if i'm a criminal is it a crime to lie about it even though i'm not under oath?

Randam

Kind of weird to be booked for speeding in a country that has a section of highway with no speed limit and a massive race track you can roll up to and go for a round.

there are only a few sections without speedlimits.
and yeah, they are only on the Autobahn.

Irminsul

Can you expand on this a bit? Sounds a bit weird. If someone asks me if i'm a criminal is it a crime to lie about it even though i'm not under oath?
Only in some situations. If your sentence is severer, it gets put into the "Polizeiliches Führungszeugnis" ("criminal record certificate"), which you have to provide e.g. when applying to many jobs. Even if you don't have to provide it, you have to answer questions on your criminal record sincerely in these situations.

All of this isn't the case exactly up to a sentence of 90 day-fines – you're still previously convicted (i.e., a criminal), which can matter if you're involved in another case but those crimes only show up in special registers that aren't so easily accessible and get deleted after 10 or 20 years, depending on the severity of the crime.

jorma

is now taking requests
Only in some situations. If your sentence is severer, it gets put into the "Polizeiliches Führungszeugnis" ("criminal record certificate"), which you have to provide e.g. when applying to many jobs. Even if you don't have to provide it, you have to answer questions on your criminal record sincerely in these situations.

Ok, thanks.

But... like if the employer asks "are you convicted of any crimes" and i lie and say "no, sir i am not".
Did i just commit another crime? Or is it just that he now gets to fire me on the spot?

If Reus is only making €45k a week, then it's no wonder BVB can't keep a hold of their stars.

He's making more. I'd say the fine is only looking at the basic wages, without the bonus payments for appearances, goals, etc. I think it's something like up to €6m a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom