• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A question from a non hugger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
My mother is a double talker. Quite often during my childhood she would say one thing, and then later act as if she didn't know what someone was talking about when they brought it up later, take an opposed view, or dodge certain subjects. It was impossible to know if she had changed her mind, didn't know what she was talking about either in the first place or the second, and it generally left most of my siblings with the knowledge that some of the things she said just had to be dismissed as bullshit.

For instance: my mom, for probably the first 10 years of my life told me that my dad was part Sioux. Then one day her story changed, it became "well, maybe he's indian, I'm not sure." And later on "I don't know what you're talking about, I never said anything like that." My dad, for reasons not relevant to this discussion, wasn't in our lives, and I was basically not allowed to even attempt to contact him, so I could never just ask him about it to find out what the truth was.

Every once in a while though, my mom would say something that sounded like her regular crap, but would turn out to be true, and this made it hard to know when exactly to let things that she said fly by without giving them any thought. And now I've begun to wonder about one of those things.

When I was about 17, my mom started to go to some social gatherings where the people in attendance had a habit of hugging each other. Our family never really did a lot of hugging, hugs were basically only for relatives, and typically only those whom we hadn't seen in about a month or longer. At first when I went to the get togethers I resisted hugging people that I barely knew, but it came to a point where I saw that it was expected under the circumstance and got used to the idea.

Then after my mom hosted one of these little events, after all the guests had left my mom came up to me and said with an odd kind of glee in here eyes "that lady in red was smashing he boobies into you!" I found this entire statement to be odd for a number of reasons, not the least of which was that, so far as I could tell, it was just a regular hug. The more I thought about it, the more it seemed that women's breasts are just attached to their front sides, and if you give a woman a hug you're going to have contact with them. I immediately filed this under "irrelevant drivel from mom" and thought I'd never think about it again.

As time went on though, we kept seeing this person, and my mom kept bringing up what she seemed to think was some special effort on the part of this woman to physically flirt with me, and eventually I had a realization: I don't have a lot of experience hugging people, and that lack of experience may mean that I'm missing something that is apparent to others. But, soon I moved out, stopped having contact with the group of huggers, and resumed my habit of not hugging anybody. The issue dissolved into memory.

That is until about two weeks ago. I've been taking part in what could be described as professional get togethers for a while now. I don't really go in with the intent to socialize ever, so I don't really physically interact with the other people there beyond smiling and waving when I say hello. Two weeks ago though gifts were expected to be exchanged, and when I gave one lady her gift she decided to hug me.

My personal moratorium on hugging of non family members has softened in recent years, so I did the same thing I do for hand shakes: match the intensity and pressure of the person opposite. She used one arm, I used one arm. She used moderate pressure, I used moderate pressure. Since she engaged the hug, I let her decide the length of it. Comparing that hug with the few other hugs I saw exchanged with the gifts, everything seemed to be normal. Somehow, though, it just seemed a little different than other hugs I've received lately. But, I thought to myself, a hug is a hug, and went on to other thoughts. Later, though, I remembered what my mom used to say whenever we saw that woman at her get to togethers; I remembered her implication that sometimes a hug isn't just a hug, and is an attempt at fondling someone with your breasts. Again I set that thought aside, my mom was just full of shit, right?

This week though was the last of these get togethers for the year. I don't really know why, but it being the last of the year resulted in a round of hugging for most of the people there. Again this woman hugged me, and again it seemed that maybe she was pressing he breasts into me. The problem with that thought though is that, well, how else do you hug someone? The mechanics of it are pretty simple, and even with my limited experience I can't think of or remember any different way you can do it: arms grasp each other, shoulders and upper torsos come together.

This wouldn't be an issue, but under the circumstances it would be inappropriate if this was trying to make a physical advance, and since I have this idea rattling around in my head I can't help but think I need to let this person know that I'm not interested and that she should stop. But part of me still feels that there's nothing to this, and if that part is right I don't want to put my foot in my mouth and bring up something that I'm imagining with this person.

So hugging GAF, am I being fondled or is this nothing?

Cronox

Banned
Overanalysis central here. Your mom mindfucked/inceptioned you into thinking about this. Wtf is wrong with her...

Unless the hugger is positioning your hands around her boobs, how is the hug different from other hugs? Could you make a stick figure drawing to explain this better?

You'll know a flirty hug when you get one, and it's not coming from the chest. It's coming from how long the hands linger afterwards. Turns a friendly gesture into some half-caress. Is she lingering or is it just a quick deal? If it's the latter I doubt she means anything by it.

Darknight

This is a troll right?

This is like that dude that had that one girl look at him across the class room and thought he was being hit on lol. What the fuck. No offence OP but I dont think you are being honest.

JB1981

Jesus Christ man I thought this was going somewhere. Yes when women who have tits hug you you might feel a tit on your chest. Like you said beasts are in the front.

If a woman gives you a hug, it's meaningful insofar as she's cool with touching you. At the very least, you're on good terms with her.

A one-armed hug is usually pretty impersonal, though. It's a kind of non-committal hug instead of throwing your full weight into the person. I'm a big hugger, and boobs get pushed into you because that's just where they are. I don't know about the huggy lady from when you were younger, but in general, it's not something to think a lot about. Hugs are done from the front, and boobs are on the front of a woman.

That said, if a woman is really conservative, she may do a side hug. I have a co-worker who is deeply religious to the point where she scolds the boys for checking out the girls, and she only does side hugs.

I hope that helps.

Edit: I really wish people wouldn't be so judgmental. Not everyone has a lot of experiences with women, and OP was pretty open about this being territory that is less-than-explored for him. Plus, his Mom clearly messed him up. Let's all be a little more gracious toward those who have led emotionally abusive lives and come with open arms (so to speak) asking for help.

Rest

Overanalysis central here. Your mom mindfucked/inceptioned you into thinking about this. Wtf is wrong with her...

Pretty much. I can't get the thought out of my head.

Unless the hugger is positioning your hands around her boobs, how is the hug different from other hugs? Could you make a stick figure drawing to explain this better?
Like I said, the mechanics of hugging are pretty simple, when I think it out nothing out of the ordinary is happening. One thought I've had is that she's rather tall for a woman, maybe what feels different is that her chest and shoulders are just level with mine.

Cyd0nia

Banned
No offence but your mom has unintentionally mind jobbed you big time

You need to relax and forget about it. There'd be stronger signals from people than the minutiae of their hug pressures and so forth

akira28

dude your mom....sounds like she has some problems yo.

Like she was just diabolically fucking with your head, just because she was bored.

Amir0x

Banned
*long deep breath*

Ok, given your history, it seems that intimacy is something that socially you simply are not used to. As a result, when you do get hugs, you are unaware of what constitutes a "normal hug" and what doesn't. I get it.

A few things, however.

1. Your mom has proven herself an unreliable narrator of any aspect of your life, why would you trust her random "joking" comment about that first 'special' hug?

2. The general rule for a hug is: there's never any real confusion when a hug is more than 'just' a hug. Most hugs are just hugs, slightly more intimate ways of expressing care/gratitude to a person.

3. IF you like this lady, and her hugging you is causing all these confusing thoughts, ask her out! What's the problem? You don't need to know what the hug is about to do that.

4. Your Mom probably has bipolar.

Rest

...why would you trust her random "joking" comment about that first 'special' hug?
The only reason any weight is given to my mom telling me that that lady was doing something out of the ordinary is that she wasn't joking and she brought it up about a half a dozen times. I'm not sure why she thought anything was happening there, but again I'll state that rarely hug people I'm not related to. I don't know the ins and outs of social hugging.

Hexa

OT is like a fucking emotional minefield sometimes

I know. Is the OT for a gaming forum really the best place to be asking this stuff? I guess it works is the reason it keeps happening. Very strange that that's the case though.

Rest

I like the idea of just getting together with people to hug.
You should have gone for the girl in the hugging group. She would've hugged the soul out of you... Where are those hugging groups anyways?
The get togethers weren't for hugging, but most of the people hugged when they greeted each other and then again when saying goodbye.

Captcha

I've hugged people I've known for 45 seconds before. Do you need a hug? I don't have any boobs to confuse you with.

Bluth54

tumblr_nevg6l88I31rjxtgeo1_500.gif

I know. Is the OT for a gaming forum really the best place to be asking this stuff? I guess it works is the reason it keeps happening. Very strange that that's the case though.

I actually avoided the OT for a long time because "Why would I want to know what a bunch of gaming forum nerds think about other things?"

Of course now I'm here and mostly enjoy it, but every once in a while a topic comes around and proves that initial thought right

The only reason any weight is given to my mom telling me that that lady was doing something out of the ordinary is that she wasn't joking and she brought it up about a half a dozen times. I'm not sure why she thought anything was happening there, but again I'll state that rarely hug people I'm not related to. I don't know the ins and outs of social hugging.

there is no ins and outs. just don't grab the ass unless you are allowed. or do it. it don't matter.

Shaanyboi

Banned
fucking hell, it's a hug. It doesn't require this level of thought.

Are you going to write a novel analyzing your first kiss?

Rest

OP could you, in a single sentence, ask exactly what you want to know?
Do women manipulate hugs into full body fondling or is this just a mental timebomb that my mom planted?

But if you haven't read the OP then that TL;DR won't help you.

injurai

Banned
Do women manipulate hugs into full body fondling or is this just a mental timebomb that my mom planted?

Hugs are what people make if it. Just give a simple innocuous hug and it's not on you whether they were offput, or they indulged in the moment. I sometimes wonder if a hug I gave was awkward or out of place, but you just got to own them and make them none too meaningful.

GrizzNKev

Banned
What the fuck are you talking about

When you hug a girl unless she makes a special effort you are going to touch her boobs. Unless you've never touched boobs before I can't see why this is a big deal.

I did but i couldn't half figure out with any exactitude what answer i ought to give.

I think your mother was just trying to make you play with the notion that someone might be flirting with you, hoping perhaps that you fucking up here and there would give you better tact for these kinds of things.

Physical contact is an extremely malleable practice whose meaning can alter depending on place, person, culture, clothing, all of that. It's not a simple matter, and it's not a matter of simplifying it either. It's a matter of having a tact that can deal with the complexity of it.

So maybe yes, maybe no, but in any case don't let them touch your privates unless you've consented to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom