• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny DLC Plans leak. Major addon "Comet: Plague of Darkness" coming sep. 15

ekim

B6UkdDBCEAI2cjy.jpg:large

House of Wolves
Date: March 10th, 2015
Locations: Cosmodrome, Moon, Venus, Reef
Activities: 3 Story, 1 Strike, 1 Raid, 4 PvP Maps

Comet: Plague of Darkness
Date: September 2015
Locations: Moon, Venus, Mars, Hive Ship
Activities: 12 Story, 4 Strike, 1 Raid, 1 Location, 6 PvP Maps
Bonus: New subclasses and 2 new weapon types

Vex [illegible]
Date: TBA
Locations: Venus, Mars
Activities: 3 Story, 2 Strike, 1 Raid, ? PvP Maps

Forge of Gods
Date: TBA
Locations: TBA
Activities: TBA

via:http://www.vg247.com/2015/01/02/leaked-destiny-dlc-comet-plague-of-darkness-forge-of-gods/

// Mod Edit 2:

Here's the Reddit post:

Reddit said:
Via @FWCReddit's very recent tweet.

https://twitter.com/fwcreddit/status/550886614889541634

Image shows a bigger DLC pack called "Comet: Plague of Darkness", coming September 2015, only after mentioning that House of Wolves will release on March 10 (which does fall on a Tuesday). Next two DLC packs after Comet appear to be "Vex ???" (too hard to make out second word, possibly Vex Void, Vex You, Vex V60, or even just Vex TBD) and "Forge of Gods". Forge of Gods could possibly have to do with Cabal, but I'm not entirely sure. It appears to be very early in production.

As FWC said in another tweet, though, only a rumor.

EDIT: Original source is apparently a Bungie Forums post. Take of that what you will: http://www.bungie.net/en-us/Forum/Post/88939979/0/0

EDIT 2: As /u/the_vault-technician so kindly pointed out, the OG OG source is from this Italian Destiny forum in which the poster claims that the photo was taken during a Bungie meeting. He talks more about Comet, saying, "I repeat: the expansion Comet (after the house of wolves) NOT 'DESTINY 2, This is just a massive DLC that will be marketed on a disk from which to make a download of destiny, is like a DLC but normal much larger and heavier."

The poster uploaded the photo towards the beginning of December. Here's the link: https://translate.googleusercontent...15&usg=ALkJrhjCKYgq6wBlMEaAzoyV7UGjIFJB7g

Everything's been translated from Italian to English so it obviously won't be as easy to read. You'll also have to scroll down a bit for the photo.

I think we can consider Comet/Plague of Darkness as Destiny 1.5. It'll include tons of new content, and that even includes three new subclasses, two new weapon types, a new base level, and a new location called "Hive Ship" all according to the image. It'll have its own DLC, Vex and FoG. I think, though, that it'll be released as a "re-release", physically, of Destiny, and that it'll include TDB, HoW, and PoD.

EDIT 3: /u/Zereta also reminded us of the data-mined list of Hive bosses leaked back in October. The list includes enemies like
"Gnath, the Diviner", "Cryth, the Siphon", "Noctu, the Lightslayer", "The Wall", "Voldor, the Willkeeper", "Divined Vision", "Dredge Exploder", "Storgor, the Shatterer", "The Veil", and The Oversoul. (Source: http://gamingbolt.com/destiny-the-dark-belows-raid-bosses-leaked-crota-confirmed-missing) At the time, we believed this to be the list of Crota's End bosses, despite "Crota, Son of Oryx" being noticeably absent. However, now we know that it obviously isn't. That being said, each name, when discovered, was tagged with "Raid" and "Hive Ship". See where I'm going with this? It would appear that this was actually the leaked list of bosses included in the upcoming raid in Comet, as, again, "Hive Ship" is listed as a playable patrol area in the photo with Comet. Therefore, it's very safe to say that Comet will revolve around the Hive. Now, as to what the Raid actually has to deal with, we'll have to wait and see. There's a fair chance that it involves Oryx, given that Eris has hinted at us fighting him through some of her in-game dialogue, though his name is absent from the list. Feel free to speculate!

EDIT 4: Ok, so /u/MuchStache claims to have been in possession of the image since the beginning of October. Here's his two cents: http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheG..._expansions_leaked_comet_vex_forge_of/cnbztw4
Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheG...of/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This matches up with the old contract:

destiny0tumo.png

destiny2eruax.png

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So much stuff coming in 2015, I can't imagine going back to Destiny in September for new subclasses and weapon types. The game needs much more fundamental changes than that.

Sakura

September? So the only thing between now and then is House of Wolves? Do they have enough content for the next 9 months to keep people playing?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
"Vex TBD" I think it says (TBD=to be determined)

Trickster

I was certain they would immediately annualize the franchise.

That's only really possible if you have several studios to work on seperate games, or you make stale as hell sports games.

A whole new zone to stand around and protect your ghost in?

This comet expansion will probably be their first chance since release to seriously try and improve the things currently wrong with the game. First 2 dlc's were likely to far into development by the time the game released for there to be major changes in direction.

And they expect me to pay 20€ for each of them? :D
This is insane. The content they're adding is a joke and in no way justifies the price.
For 20€ I expect a new planet similar in size to the existing locations.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's only really possible if you have several studios to work on seperate games, or you make stale as hell sports games.

Well, I guess at 500 people they have about as much as two teams.

And they didn't seem to be too busy making content the first go around so they were plausibly split up pretty small for quite a while now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And they expect me to pay 20€ for each of them? :D
This is insane. The content they're adding is a joke and in no way justifies the price.
For 20€ I expect a new planet similar in size to the existing locations.

I'm assuming Comet will be $40+ since it's not DLC like the episodes.

Renzoku

Banned

At this point, my opinion of Bungie is so low that I wouldn't be surprised if they had taken the next four DLCs and made them Destiny 2, tbh.

Yeah, I'm ok for just more of the same Bungie, thanks.

I'll give house of Wolves a spin as I already have it paid for, but unless that actually includes all the stuff they claimed would be in the game before release, which it obviously won't, then I'll pass on whatever insane price they'll be asking for the rest of those.

It was fun for a good chunk of time, but I'm definitely done with Destiny now. I cannot imagine how they can possibly carry their ten year plan with this franchise, especially if this is any indication of what they've got in mind.

I really can't see this lasting into 2020 as a franchise unless significant changes are made. It needs a deep, overarching story to carry it.

Rurunaki

I really can't see this lasting into 2020 as a franchise unless significant changes are made. It needs a deep, overarching story to carry it.

Destiny seems to be only hated here in GAF as I see a lot of people streamig the game with a lot of viewers watching.

Legs for this game will be long imo.

Trickster

At this point, my opinion of Bungie is so low that I wouldn't be surprised if they had taken the next four DLCs and made them Destiny 2, tbh.

My oppinion of them is pretty damn low these days as well. But I'd like to think that they have some pride and want to live up to their initial promises with Destiny 2

This game is so so expensive. I assume for those major content updates it will be like a $50 expansion because that's basically what the game shipped with.

People who like it get a lot of time out of it though so i guess they can't complain.

I just can't see spending that much to keep playing the game, and i don't see enough variety being added to justify spending time on it again instead of playing other games.

Looks like the Comet might actually come in a "goty" box given the image. I'm sure a stand alone download would release too of course. Probably $30-$40.

Well that's my bet. We'll see what the RNG of time will tell.

Gryph

This seems like not a lot of content.

I'll be interested to see how this new model of content delivery works out for them, but I'm probably not coming back to Destiny.

With each passing bit of info the lure of a tell-all exposé is growing... I want to know what happened to this game in development that resulted in all this.

Ombala

Ehm give me Destiny 2 on current gen only insteed with true big seemles worlds insteed.
Cant see myself throwing more money at Destiny if the game wont evolve.
And more expensive expansions which are starved with content makes me loose intrest fast.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I added the reddit post to the OP. Has a bit more info.

40€ is a whole new game. Content seems too low for it to cost 40€ but i guys it's activision.

Oh sorry $40 would be like... in the US new releases are $60 so it'd be halfway between the $20 DLC and the $60 base game.

We see some budget software released at that price point here.

So Comet is basically Destiny 2 or at least a real expansion.

It's supposed to be like an old PC expansion pack.

Destiny seems to be only hated here in GAF as I see a lot of people streamig the game with a lot of viewers watching.

Legs for this game will be long imo.

Shooters have long legs because of online (this is why many games skipping/not caring single player content mostly and focusing on online multiplayer) even though they have negative impressions still their sales are great as they get replay value.

hamchan

Gosh I sure hope there's more content than that. Will probably still buy it because I'm abusive to myself like that.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Comet looks like what every DLC should have looked like. But instead we get Dark Below and now House of Wolfes looks just as laughable. No thanks Bungie.

Philippo

I can't wait for Sony's E3 Conference.

"And now, to prove how extensive 3rd party relationships..."

"HOLY SHIT SHENMUE 3 - FFVIIREMAKE - HALF LIFE 3"

"... welcome Bungie guys to talk about Destiny new expansion! Which contains 1 weapon exclusive to playstation consoles!"

[45 min. live demo]

Trickster

Why? This seems to be working for them, and they are still stubbornly ignoring a lot of the criticism.

Destiny sold a shit load of copies because of hype and name recognisition. But Bungie have not said how many people are still playing or how many people have bought post launch content afaik. So I think it's wrong to say that it seems to be working for them yet.

Their PR team doubling down on pretending there's no criticism they need to address also doesn't mean that the people actually making the game are fine with making Destiny 2 be a poorly a designed game as Destiny 1

Xando

I added the reddit post to the OP. Has a bit more info.

Oh sorry $40 would be like... in the US new releases are $60 so it'd be halfway between the $20 DLC and the $60 base game.

We see some budget software released at that price point here.

It's supposed to be like an old PC expansion pack.

New releases are usually 60-70€ but you can get them for 40-45€ on the US store that's why i'm saying new game.

I mean compare it to the latest WoW addon that costed 40€ and has 4-5 times the content comet is supposed to have.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I can't wait for Sony's E3 Conference.

"And now, to prove how extensive 3rd party relationships..."

"HOLY SHIT SHENMUE 3 - FFVIIREMAKE - HALF LIFE 3"

"... welcome Bungie guys to talk about Destiny new expansion! Which contains 1 weapon exclusive to playstation consoles!"

[45 min. live demo]

It hurts because it's too true.

Comet looks like what every DLC should have looked like. But instead we get Dark Below and now House of Wolfes looks just as laughable. No thanks Bungie.

Yes, but people used to pay the price developers ask for small addon (which can't be sold once used like physical copies) and they get lot of income from this and developers are happy about this. This won't stop until people stop supporting which is not gonna happen as we still see Destiny selling great.

Top Bottom