• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit rumor: Destiny II: Forge of Hope, November 2017, [Kotaku & Bungie skeptical]

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Let's see

- I'm fine with no character transfer

- really interested to see the new engine. I love Destiny's art style and I wonder how much better it'll look in a new engine

- Happy to hear they seem to be sticking with the plan of ditching dlc in favor of yearly expansions. It's much more palatable this way

- 60fps would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker. 30fps in Destiny 1 is fine. Bigger issue will be if the new engine can't handle 30fps well on the OG PS4 and Boner vs Pro, Scorpion, and PC. I'm fine with 30fps, but I don't want it getting down to like 15fps on the new engine cause og consoles can't hang.

- Stick with no player trading. It eliminates the headaches that player trading could provide while also not allowing farmers in the game

- fix the load times. I hate having to load from the town to space/map. Then you gotta load again to your destination. Speed that shit up. Hell I'll take marginally better visuals if it means less loads.

- Improved tutorial... OG Destiny does a shit job on explaining a ton of shit.

- Add in a 4th main class to improve variety

- throw in some random public events that just happen in heavy trafficed quest/maps

- give your ghost it's one powers or upgrades other than just it's shell. Like a ghost subclass to further allow for customization/build differentiation.

tooevil

Yes Bungie please release a PC version, so we can data mine, and discover all the DLC is already there since the beggining. :)

El_Chino

pz6rSAE.png

giphy.gif

LOL I'm not sure the Switch could even run the original Destiny let alone Destiny II

Destiny was released on PS3 and 360. You do know that, right?

Releases in Q4 2017 and the FIRST expansion will be in Q3 2018? Wtf?

They seem to be moving to a model of one huge expansion (TTK size) every year and size able free content drops every few months in between to fill the gaps. It works if they can push out the content fast enough, which they can if they have the engine in order now.

alt27

Destiny was released on PS3 and 360. You do know that, right?

They seem to be moving to a model of one huge expansion (TTK size) every year and size able free content drops every few months in between to fill the gaps. It works if they can push out the content fast enough, which they can if they have the engine in order now.

That was for D1 mainly due to poor tools.

Activision have already stated that content for D2 will be more frequent. Whether that involes one big drop a year, who knows but I doubt it given thats not enough now.

Mockerre

Story
The sequel will heavily focus on chronological events set after the Fall 2015 Expansion The Taken King. The cabal forces attack the city leaving the civilians and mentors of the tower defenseless. It is the guardians job to fight back the cabal and reclaim the city. While doing so the guardian will discover the long lost stories of Queen Mara Sov and The Exo Strangers motives. The story will culminate with the tower and city fighting back the Cabal empire resulting the guardian defeating the leader of the Cabal in the new Raid.

This story sounds so underwhelming, hope it's not true...

I'll have to see if the MP will still consist of nothing more than supers, heavy weapons, and shotguns again.

I'm in the same boat as you. Heavy weapons are the least big deal, shotguns would be okay with me if they bring the range down to Halo 3 shotgun 1 hit kill level (under 5 feet away), and supers...supers shouldn't be in PvP in all unless they're a buff or something (like a burst of movement speed or an increase in fire rate/accuracy with a cool effect added). Also, I haven't played lately, but the late hit detection was abysmal when I used to play, hits wouldn't register for 2 or 3 seconds sometimes.

That was for D1 mainly due to poor tools.

Activision have already stated that content for D2 will be more frequent. Whether that involes one big drop a year, who knows but I doubt it given thats not enough now.

No, the TTK release plan was clearly a shift in tone in their content strategy. They even said as much themselves that they would move away from small paid expansions in favor of free content drops. It's part of what the microtransactions are paying for.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
The name is beyond silly. Doesn't fit in at all with the names of any of the previous expansions. The story seems like something we'd see in an expansion for D1, not the main game. D2 needs to expand the scope of D1, not limit it to enemy types we already know how to beat. I want to move beyond Saturn, meet new threats and fight all over the solar system. So color me disappointed if true.

All in all, this could easily be fake as they could've easily gleaned/extrapolated all of this information from all the previous reports/rumors.

And yeah, 60fps on consoles would be so clutch. Do it, Bungo.

Grief.exe

360, XB1, PS3, PC4 and PC was just too much to handle vor a developer who was used to working on only one platform.

They were already splitting resources between 360/PS3 and XB1/PS4. PC on top of all that might have spread them too thin.

Plus I'd say it still qualifies as "massively popular" even without the PC release.

The budget was so massive that it seems unjustifiable they couldn't tweak the investment early on for a massive payoff down the line. Especially with PS4/XBO both being x86.

Of course, there could have been additional back end issues preventing the green light. For example, game code locked to 30 FPS, or server infrastructure being a significantly higher investment.

The COD numbers didn't look so good, so I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reason why Acty didn't put it on PC. Plus as Glam said it was too for one developer that only recently worked on one platform.

That is true, COD performs poorly on PC. Shallow shooters such as COD just perform terribly with the demographic on PC anyways, RPG shooters, on the other hand, are a huge hit on the platform. Borderlands and Division all sell millions of copies on the PC and are a massive event on launch.

If Activision justified their decision by COD sales alone, then it is based on a false equivalency and a huge misstep.

This story sounds so underwhelming, hope it's not true...
How is it underwhelming? These are things that need answers.

We don't know who the exo stranger is. It's been 3 years since an update.

The cabal sent a distress signal out of the Solar systems to the Empire.

The Queen is still a pretty unknown character herself and she's well popular among the destiny community.

alt27

No, the TTK release plan was clearly a shift in tone in their content strategy. They even said as much themselves that they would move away from small paid expansions in favor of free content drops. It's part of what the microtransactions are paying for.

Activision have stated inan earnings call a more steady stream of dlc will be provided in D2. You cant compare d1 dlc releases to d2.

Its going to be full dlc and micros. This is Activision. Destiny community is not happy with one dlc per year

Tjamato88

double lol since the original Destiny run on PS3 and the 360. Or maybe you're trying to be edgy?

And Bungie doesn't even support those versions anymore so I'm not sure what your point is?

My original comment was hyperbolic but my point stands. The Switch is an under powered console and I'm 99.9% sure that it won't see any Destiny releases.

johntown

Banned
I would love to get this for PC but I might have to sink to the PS4 if nothing is confirmed.

Only reason for PC is 60fps. My guess is 30fps locked on consoles.

alt27

And Bungie doesn't even support those versions anymore so I'm not sure what your point is?

My original comment was hyperbolic but my point stands. The Switch is an under powered console and I'm 99.9% sure that it won't see any Destiny releases.

Not a chance switch gets any form of destiny

I don't believe it. It sounds like a safe rumor though

Right, I can't believe Nintendo made a tablet console weaker than the Wii U, PS3, and 360

I thought it was more powerful than a Wii U? It's running games like Mario at higher resolution and the improvements from the hardware are obvious in zelda screens.

That said, I doubt destiny is coming to it.

Vanillalite

They cut support of Destiny because it couldnt run on PS3 anymore didnt get new content.

Is that what you want from Switch port?

Destiny 2 would (probably) run like ass on the Switch.

That being said Destiny 1 would be fine. Bigger issue wasn't flops for last gen consoles. It was the ram limits. Switch wouldn't have this bottleneck.

I'm absolutely starving for Destiny 2 news as it's my most anticipated game. But if Jason is casting doubt on it I'm gonna go ahead and assume this isn't true.

Hopefully we hear something soon though.

Newboi

The original will be three years old.

That doesn't really mean anything to me this generation. We've seen big titles get delayed for more than a year, or just take longer than expected to finish, already.

Is Sprint 2018 really a bad time for this game to launch? Not saying I want it to release in 2018. Just mainly saying I wouldn't be surprised if the game didn't release this fall.

Turkoop

Banned
- 60 FPS would be Godlike but 30 FPS with better visuals, better or even a physique system(destruction).
- 1-3 Raids at launch, make them long and enjoyable. 2-3 Strikes more than Destiny had at launch.
- More weapons, more badass weapons.
- more free content
- loot cave 2.0

if my characters are left behind, I will burn Bungie hq to the ground, the whole thing

What do you want to remain? Because if the same skills and weapon systems are transferred, I don't want Destiny 2. If they aren't but your characters are transferred, then how would they allocate the systems/weapon stats? Doesn't make any sense to me.

What do you want to remain? Because if the same skills and weapon systems are transferred, I don't want Destiny 2. If they aren't but your characters are transferred, then how would they allocate the systems/weapon stats? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I would actually prefer to start over with each new Destiny game with a new character personally.

HonMirin

- Stick with no player trading. It eliminates the headaches that player trading could provide while also not allowing farmers in the game
No. Just no. I was glad when The Division added the ability to share between teammates. Destiny needs this too. Nothing worse than repeating a raid and your teammate getting the same exotic and leaving you wanting. Plus it's great for team bonding. Love the whole planning before doing the raid, and having the ability to share items to boost the team's chances of success can only be a positive.

alt27

- 60 FPS would be Godlike but 30 FPS with better visuals, better or even a physique system(destruction).
- 1-3 Raids at launch, make them long and enjoyable. 2-3 Strikes more than Destiny had at launch.
- More weapons, more badass weapons.
- more free content
- loot cave 2.0

MP being 60fps would be sweet. PVE can be 30.

No chance theres 3 raids at launch. It will be 1. They will market and sell subsequent raids with dlc.

Agree on the rest of your post.

RdN

Sound good.. Maybe too good to be true.

Won't get hyped until a reliable source, like Jason from Kotaku, can confirm.

FyreWulff

360/PS3 cert is being slowed down/mothballed and the 360/PS3 also possess 512MB of RAM.. all of which is not even 100% usable on either platform, and < 10% of players were on those platforms when lastgen updates were cut.

However, those versions also still work online and everything.

How would that unbalance the game?

You could double up on a race or subclass without having to give up one of the other ones.

Can't have a Bow Hunter, Defender Titan, a Sunlock AND an offense centric race/subclass character that the other three are buffing into complete brokeness in the same session, for example, in normal play.

Also, the more players you add, the more spongey you have to make enemies to account for the increased player DPS in those activities. (Which is why Patrol Ultras have so much health, because they have to account for ~9 people being able to DPS it) It all feeds into each other.

A good example is that Halo games were balanced around Heroic, and 2 player co-op. You had to put the game on Legendary just to make it a challenge in 4 player, and even then put on some skulls even then. Player counts actually do matter in sandbox/gameplay design.

Vanillalite

MP being 60fps would be sweet. PVE can be 30.

No chance theres 3 raids at launch. It will be 1. They will market and sell subsequent raids with dlc.

Agree on the rest of your post.

Bungie is done with DLC though.

It's all gonna be free updates and then yearly paid expansion drops.

I could see two raids at launch. Entry level raid, and then a 2nd raid after you've done and geared from the first. Then maybe they drop a 3rd raid half way through the year. Then they start again with each expansion.

Top Bottom